Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

I'm being attacked by flying beetles!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 09:54 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm being attacked by flying beetles!!!

WTF is going on?!? For some strange reason, there's been a bunch of these flying beetles getting into my house & I never had them before. I'd be chillin & then I would hear this buzzing noise above me. When I look up, there is this bean size beetle flying around! I've killed 5 already & counting! This is getting annoying
Old 06-28-2006, 10:33 PM
Z'd Up

oh no you didn't.... expect more beetles to avenge the death of their down comrades. Word of advice, don't sleep with your mouth open.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:36 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

Originally Posted by Z'd Up
oh no you didn't.... expect more beetles to avenge the death of their down comrades. Word of advice, don't sleep with your mouth open.
hhaha ^^. did you know that we eat or swallow 8 spiders in our life time when we sleep.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:37 PM
chuckie311

take a shower..lol...
Old 06-28-2006, 10:45 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Well I just found out they were going through a hole on the screen of my window. I just plugged it up & now no more issues...I hope . And no I don't smell . Apparently, there's been a bunch of these bugs in my area since I was just talking to my neighbor & he is also experiencing these bastards sneaking into the house.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:48 PM
Mazinger Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, i have beetles (look like little brown beans, about half inch in length) flying and attaching themselves to my screen door... i take my broom, give them a good whack, and proceed to step on them with my size tens...

there was this other beetle that was on my screen a couple of days ago, i used the same method, but instead of easily falling to the ground, it attached itself to the broom, and started making this "chooo choooo chooo " sound...pretty damn loud too, and flew away...apparently, its defense mechanism is a black kind of spray...freakin' nasty!
Old 06-28-2006, 10:54 PM
Z4Zoro

I used to have some big black beatles in my backyard. They used to scare the **** out of me. They were about the size of a quarter and when there wings spanded, they looked even bigger. When I was younger we used to camp in the backyard and they would run into the tent. Beatles and Cochroaches..........ehhhhhh
Old 06-28-2006, 10:58 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are you guys talking about those june bug things....
Old 06-28-2006, 11:00 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Originally Posted by bugsbbunny
Yea, i have beetles (look like little brown beans, about half inch in length) flying and attaching themselves to my screen door... i take my broom, give them a good whack, and proceed to step on them with my size tens...

there was this other beetle that was on my screen a couple of days ago, i used the same method, but instead of easily falling to the ground, it attached itself to the broom, and started making this "chooo choooo chooo " sound...pretty damn loud too, and flew away...apparently, its defense mechanism is a black kind of spray...freakin' nasty!
That sounds exatly what I have! Haven't experienced the black spray though...thank gawd.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:16 PM
Vick781

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Turn your lights off...
Old 06-29-2006, 06:52 AM
dimebagdolf

I've been seeing them around too.
They're friggin' nasty. Tough lil buggers too. You really have to squish 'em to take 'em out. I've never seeen these bugs around until this year.

WTF???
Old 06-29-2006, 07:02 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

These guys come around every year, I get them flying into my garage at dusk but don't ever get them in the house (even if I did, my ninja attack cats would take them out before they got past the entry hall).

They are loud and like to bounce off the lights but they don't seem to do anything and usually die all by themselves in less than 24 hours, I don't know how they survive as a species. Never seen them before I moved to NorCal.

Now, for the scary bugs I have seen in NorCal, one night there was a knocking on my living room window, I open the blinds and there is a beetle that had to be 3" long including big old pincer things sticking out the front hanging on my screen. I caught it and put it in a freezer bag to take to work and show this guy that is into bugs and stuff.
So there it is in my drawer at work all day and into the night. When he finally comes in to work the night shift I go to my desk to get it and the bag is chewed open and the bug is gone :|
I emptied everything out of that drawer and then out of my cube and it was nowhere to be seen. I did not have the heart to tell anyone that bug was loose.
About a week later, half way across the building comes a blood curdling scream and everyone gofers up to look at what's going on and this lady in accounting if freaking out, up on her desk, screaming about a giant roach (it was not a roach), I just sat back down, happy it was found and removed.

Chris
Old 06-29-2006, 08:31 AM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Ed718 is correct, they are June bugs. They come around this time every year. They don't hurt anything and life is short lived.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:41 AM
Z MANIA
psychedelic one

Yea Yea. I had a couple get inside as well. Stupid thing kept flying into the ceiling fan, trying to get to the light above it. They are here in So Cal too.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:47 AM
dubbzdiggler

JUNE BUGS BABY...get the June bug trap and put it in your backyard
Old 06-29-2006, 08:47 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Yuck, you can eat them....

"The Brown May Beetle

The Brown May Beetle is commonly only about 3/4 of an inch long but in reading it was found that specimens have reached up to two inches. Around Knotts Island they are pretty much small and round. They are active at night, feeding on foliage, flower buds, and flowers on shrubs. They are usually seen flying erratically around the porch lights and floodlights of homes, or clinging to the screens of doors trying to get to the living room lights. They have reproduce much like the Green June Bug except that the life-cycle of their larva is about three years and they emerge as adult beetles earlier, around May.
Both beetles are white grubs while in their larval stages. They're the same "C" shaped white grubs that are always in the soil when digging in the yard. The grubs may be anywhere from 1/4" to 2" long depending on how far along they are in their development. They crawl on their backs using two rows of stiff hairs. They eat small roots near the surface of the soil so they quite often damage turf grasses leaving curly brown marks in lawns. Sometimes they eat root vegetables like sweet potatoes and carrots causing damage in gardens. But they also eat decaying leaves though so they aren't always destructive. The grubs are good to have around in yards owned by fishermen. They are easy to find and are great bait for a wide variety of fish species. And of all the insects you can eat, the white grub is one of the tastiest, easy to prepare and high in protein.

If eating insects interests you, the May Beetle is a best choice. When toasted in hot ashes, the internal body parts and juices of the bug congeal into an edible nugget. After peeling off shriveled legs, wings, and wing case, the remaining tidbit can be eaten one at a time or by the handful. Toasted May Beetles have a surprisingly sweet taste. The flavor is said to resemble thick raw molasses or crudely made cane syrup. If mixed with warm milk, it has a malted milk taste."

http://www.knottsislandonline.com/na...ts/junebug.htm

Chris
Old 06-29-2006, 09:41 AM
Z4Zoro

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
Yuck, you can eat them....

"The Brown May Beetle

The Brown May Beetle is commonly only about 3/4 of an inch long but in reading it was found that specimens have reached up to two inches. Around Knotts Island they are pretty much small and round. They are active at night, feeding on foliage, flower buds, and flowers on shrubs. They are usually seen flying erratically around the porch lights and floodlights of homes, or clinging to the screens of doors trying to get to the living room lights. They have reproduce much like the Green June Bug except that the life-cycle of their larva is about three years and they emerge as adult beetles earlier, around May.
Both beetles are white grubs while in their larval stages. They're the same "C" shaped white grubs that are always in the soil when digging in the yard. The grubs may be anywhere from 1/4" to 2" long depending on how far along they are in their development. They crawl on their backs using two rows of stiff hairs. They eat small roots near the surface of the soil so they quite often damage turf grasses leaving curly brown marks in lawns. Sometimes they eat root vegetables like sweet potatoes and carrots causing damage in gardens. But they also eat decaying leaves though so they aren't always destructive. The grubs are good to have around in yards owned by fishermen. They are easy to find and are great bait for a wide variety of fish species. And of all the insects you can eat, the white grub is one of the tastiest, easy to prepare and high in protein.

If eating insects interests you, the May Beetle is a best choice. When toasted in hot ashes, the internal body parts and juices of the bug congeal into an edible nugget. After peeling off shriveled legs, wings, and wing case, the remaining tidbit can be eaten one at a time or by the handful. Toasted May Beetles have a surprisingly sweet taste. The flavor is said to resemble thick raw molasses or crudely made cane syrup. If mixed with warm milk, it has a malted milk taste."

http://www.knottsislandonline.com/na...ts/junebug.htm

Chris
talk about gross, lol
Old 06-29-2006, 09:44 AM
ASTIG_Z

Yo! you guys dont havent seen anything yet til you seen the Flying Cockroaches in the Philippines...lol They are like 2 inches long!
Old 06-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Z4Zoro

Originally Posted by ASTIG_Z
Yo! you guys dont havent seen anything yet til you seen the Flying Cockroaches in the Philippines...lol They are like 2 inches long!
Do they bite?
Old 06-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ASTIG_Z
I know! same as taiwan. They fly, they go through anything, and they're loud and smelly. Hate those ****'s...but too chickensh!t to kill em. 2 things I'm scared of...spiders and cockroaches...ahhhhhhhhhhh

Quick Reply: I'm being attacked by flying beetles!!!