Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Hearst Castle Run 2/14-2/16/09 -Z, G's,GT-R & NSX

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:55 AM
06CPV35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yojack1
I like your attitude! Just think how nice it will be sitting by the covered fire pit listening to the rain having a nice warm drink. Not too bad
Valentines week-end, fire pit, good company, warm drink or two...maybe three depending Rain...who cares
Old 02-13-2009, 12:16 AM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USCA1013.html

It's gotten worse with forecast. Oh well... Bringing umbrellas and will still have a good time
As of right now, they are forecasting AM showers, which is a lot better than before.

"Saturday: Chance of a shower or two during the morning, followed by partly cloudy skies in the afternoon. High around 50F. Winds SSW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%."

Hopefully we will not have to change our route?

Last edited by ZeeForce; 02-13-2009 at 12:19 AM. Reason: added quote from wheather channel
Old 02-13-2009, 06:05 AM
06CPV35

Forcast keeps changing everyday. True, little better than before. I'll take it.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:30 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by ZeeForce

Hopefully we will not have to change our route?
Oh yea...good point.
Read somewhere if raining we're going 101 all the way?

Can we have confirmation on this possibility please...
Old 02-13-2009, 12:28 PM
yojack1

Unless it's snowin' it's back roads all the way. With a liittle luck the drive there and back may be just fine!

If you have FRS radios bring em. At least 4 or 5 cars including myself and the tailgunner will have in addition, CB radios and external antennas. It's what we use on all of our long runs because of their superior audio clarity and distance reception.

See ya at ZCG
Jack
Old 02-13-2009, 09:41 PM
ZeeForce

Thanks Jack for the clarification.

We are looking better for tomorrows forecast (See below from weather channel). I spoke to the motel tonigh, checking if I still had a room and they said it did NOT rain in San Simeon today. btw: I have a room, my confirmation is on file with them...toppers is they still have not charged me for the package weekend deal.

http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USCA1013.html

Tomorrow: Chance of a shower or two during the morning, followed by partly cloudy skies in the afternoon. High 51F. Winds SSW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

See ya at ZCG

John see ya in FF.

Cheers
Curtis
Old 02-14-2009, 05:36 AM
06CPV35

^ I'm bringing a copy of my C/C recent chrgs b/c they charged me back in Jan for room lol.

I ain't paying twice when we check out on Monday to head home haha.

Roger that. Starbucks in FF. See ya there!!
Old 02-15-2009, 08:09 AM
ZeeForce

We are here, yesterday was soooo nice,weather...no rain at all...the ride was great.

Sunny all the way, pics are picture post card quality witht the sky and such.

btw: Warren,
Yolanda wanted to let you know that we are all bathing in the sun here...wish you were here!

Castle tour today!!

Cheers
Curtis
Old 02-15-2009, 04:10 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool

We are here, yesterday was soooo nice,weather...no rain at all...the ride was great.

Yolanda wanted to let you know that we are all bathing in the sun here...wish you were here!

Castle tour today!!

Cheers
Curtis
I wish I was there too now...you all get to have the fun. Gabe and I set up a 42" LCD I bought on sale at Costco, so at least I did something constructive...
Old 02-15-2009, 04:19 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool

Castle tour today!!

Cheers
Curtis
I wish I was there too now...you all get to have the fun. Gabe and I set up a 42" LCD I bought on sale at Costco, so at least I did something constructive...
And it's rain and windy here!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't know how this thing duplicated itself. Anyway, oh well.
We even lost power last night for a while.

Last edited by WSchli1672; 02-16-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:23 AM
mcarther101

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Highway 1 was FTL today. Was in the area so I went down the road and on the way back I ran over a fat rock that fell onto the road. I hope you guys had better luck.

I stopped to look outside near a cliff when it was raining, those winds nearly blew me away... then I could barely open my door lmfao.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:49 AM
rgtopz

Hope everyone makes it home safely. This is the worst storm I've seen this year. Extreme winds blowing over trees.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:05 PM
alving

We had a great time! The drive on Saturday was phenomenal and the weather was dry. Excellent food and the best folks to enjoy Z's with! oh and G's and NSX's too
Thank you ZONC for putting on another awesome event

Old 02-16-2009, 01:28 PM
06CPV35

Got home ~2pm. Not too much weather to deal with (rain) on the way home. Got better the further North we went.

Three letters sum up the week-end.

F!
U!
N!

Can't wait for next year.
Will post some pix later...
Old 02-16-2009, 05:44 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by WSchli1672
And it's rain and windy here!!!!!!!!!!!
We even lost power last night for a while.
Sorry, the motel had limited internet access in certain hot spots like only the lobby. It’s not normally this bad, hence the late reply. Looks you all would have been better off coming down our way. Hope that new LCD was plugged into a good surge protector. Probably better to stay off the road in your neck of the city.

Originally Posted by mcarther101
Highway 1 was FTL today. Was in the area so I went down the road and on the way back I ran over a fat rock that fell onto the road. I hope you guys had better luck.

I stopped to look outside near a cliff when it was raining, those winds nearly blew me away... then I could barely open my door lmfao.
Hope you and the cars are alright. We missed the storm all the way. In Hollister we saw the storm coming your way up north of us. It was clear sailing for us. We made it their ok and back with some heavy rain along Hwy 46, 41 and I-5 back to Sacramento.

Originally Posted by rgtopz
Hope everyone makes it home safely. This is the worst storm I've seen this year. Extreme winds blowing over trees.
We did, thanks….I heard from a local in San Simeon advised us not to take Hwy 1 back up, too many falling rocks on the highway. Most if not all took Hwy 101 then interconnectors off it, to get back home. We took hwy 46 out of Paso Robles and since the Grapevine was shut down due to snow, a lot from L.A. detoured to 101 and then caught 46 back to I-5. We saw a lot heading the opposite direction on 46 from I-5 as detour to head south into L.A.

Cheers
Curtis
Old 02-16-2009, 06:35 PM
06CPV35

Pix Teaser.

First attempt with stitching. Will not use 28mm next time while pan shooting. Too much focal distortion. Still learning this digital stuff.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:43 PM
ZeeForce

^ Very nice panarama!!!

I will need to hit you up for the hi-rez version, so I can get a hard print. Thinking 12x36.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:45 PM
ZeeForce

Alving, very nice pic, I really can not decide which one is my fav...thay are all great. Please post more!!
Old 02-16-2009, 06:46 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Pix Teaser.

First attempt with stitching. Will not use 28mm next time while pan shooting. Too much focal distortion. Still learning this digital stuff.
What's wrong with 28mm? I do not see focal distortion...then again I just started wearing cheaters...lol

Last edited by ZeeForce; 02-16-2009 at 06:48 PM. Reason: added-cheaters
Old 02-16-2009, 06:49 PM
ZeeForce

Big thanks to Yolanda and Jack for organizing this event. By far my favorite to date!!!

A short cliff notes…
Everyone arrived at ZCG early between 9:30-10:30. Fred was washing the Mini Cooper, I joined in and washed the 06 IF. We were briefed on the run by Jack at 10:15am and maps were handed out. It was made clear that this was not a race from point A to B, we were out to have fun and no one was going be left behind. Three or four vehicles had CB radios; Roy was the tail gunner with a CB, with Jack leading the pack in their NSX. We were joined by another NSX which was behind me after Hollister to Paso Robles. Lunch was in Hollister and right away the locals swarmed around Roy’s GTR. Off to what I considered the best leg of the run, and then a quick turn off onto a deserted road and a quick stop for rest and some picture taking. From what I heard a few peeps were caught on film visiting the bushes, behind trees, in the gully behind a Mini Cooper. We stopped at the San Andres fault line and took more pics.

We also had a very aggressive looking G35 leading up front and when his wife took over in the drivers seat, she impressed a lot of us with her driving skills, Between Pamela in front of me and Charlene behind, the pressure was on me, either keep up or get kicked to the curb……jk. We stopped in Paso Robles before our last leg onward to the coast. Arrived in San Simeon at 4:30pm, checked in and had an entire room at the Mexican restaurant. Afterwards we met back at the pool where there was a fire pit and Jacuzzi with a dry bar. We drank wine and talked into the night. Everyone felt comfortable, no one was left out, people mingled from conversations to conversations. There is some quality ingredient that Jack and Yolanda bring to these events, it’s their down home hospitality and making everyone feel like family.

The next day was Hearst Castle with a quick run a few miles up the road before the tour to visit the seals on the beach. It was cold and too windy; we snapped a couple of pics and headed to the castle. Afterwards some of us headed to Cambria to the Main Street Grill (I believe that was the name) where they had the best BBQ tri-tip sandwiches in town. We had diner at the Manta Rey Restaurant and finished off the night at fire pit. There were two b-days being celebrated and three cakes (Mike and yours truly). The evening was great and went into the late hours of the night. It was sad to leave on Monday morning, the long good byes, the old friends and the new friends we had met. The weekend was truly a fantastic get away weekend for an inexpensive package price and with great company. If you did not get a chance to go this due several reasons, do yourself a favor and plan on making it next year. This was the fourth Annual Hearst Castle run; my first but it will not be my last.

Cheers
Curtis

Quick Reply: Hearst Castle Run 2/14-2/16/09 -Z, G's,GT-R & NSX