Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

anyone way up north in cali?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 11:03 AM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Arvin, have you run your Z in the 1/4 before? I had T/C off and spun my wheels all the way through first and partway through second. Actually got a little sideways on one of the runs when I hit second. I think these things can get into the 13's just with some better tires. I was running the stock tires and I have 17" wheels. i stayed with them becasue when I had a 240 SX I noticed I got more rubber down with them. Very interested to see how you do with the 19" tires and the extra width. I also can't handle the ride that some of the 35's give you. Too old for that stuff now.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:05 AM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I almost forgot! Get there around three if you can. I had two runs in before 3:45
Old 10-03-2003, 06:31 AM
kengray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arvin,
Don't worry about being a novice at the track. This will be my second time. The people at NASA are really cool. Very nice and helpful. My instructor was really into working with me to get me up to speed. I use my fullface motorcycle helmet. In the begining group, the passing is limited and very controled, so you don't have to worry about some idiot trying to stuff it up inside of you entering a corner. As an added bonus there will be a Hyper Fest car show running in conjunction with NASA. I'll give you a call next week, or you can reach me at 707-542-0213
Old 10-23-2003, 08:55 PM
kengray

Default arvin, see you at Infineon 10-25

Hi Arvin, I left you a telephone message last week. If I don't hear from you the I will look for you at SearsPoint (Infineon) saturday. If you want to look for me, my 350Z is SilverStone. I am cacausian, 6ft, blond hair, 42 years old. I will be in the HPDE2 group. I hope you can make it to the event, it would be nice to hook-up with a fellow 350Z owner. Compare notes and all that. I will arrive around 7:15am and I will try to find you in the pits. If you have any questions feel free to call me . 707-569-1314
Old 10-26-2003, 06:11 AM
kengray

Thumbs up Sears Point (Infineon) track day report

For anyone interested, The 10/25 NASA track day at Sears Point was a blast. Arvin met me at the track in his 350Z Track model and I must say, he is a very nice guy. His car looks fantastic. We were in the HPDE groups. The turn out for this event was huge. Top awards to NASA, they kept the show on time during the course of a busy schedule. Thier organization skills are remarkable. Arvin and I had four twenty minute track sessions. Some people may think that's not a lot of track time, but combined with the 90 degree temparture and the mental concentration exherted while driving, we were fatigued and it was enough to satisfy.
Besides Arvin's and my 350Zs, I saw only one other 350Z on the track. I was a little surprised, as this is a great place to safely push the limits of your 350Z. The track was recently re-surfaced and combined with changes to turns 1 and 8-8a to 9, made for really positive improvements to the track. Turn 1 has gained so much more room that the line through there is completly different than it was two years ago when I was last at the track.
I recently added Stillen adjustable swaybars to my Z and I am glad that I did. My Z handled well, considering that the stock suspension is a little on the soft side. The car's handling was predictable and fairly neutral. I was able to comfortably trail brake and drive out of the corners with little slipage. The car was confidence inspiring. I've got the Enthusiast model with 17" wheels and these the weakest part of the handling. I could feel the tire sidewalls flexing a lot. My next upgrade will be 18" wheels.
All in all, we had a great day.I have to thank my wife for being such a good sport. She rode with me during the 1st track session, but 4 laps into it she told me she was about to throw -up. I was able to make it back to the hot pits and get her out of the car just in time. Poor thing was green. The rest of the day she spent video taping Arvin and I. A real trooper.
What better way to spend a day off work than pushing your Z around one of the best racetracks in the country. For those of you that have done track days in your Z, you know what I am talking about. For those that haven't, get out there, you will love it. Ken