Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Using Bestbuy (Bay area) for a head unit install

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 07:41 AM
eladm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Bestbuy (Bay area) for a head unit install

Hi all,
I am about to buy a used Pioneer double din Navi + BT and would like to install it in my new Z . I asked you before and also here and it seems I have 2 options :
1. Bestbuy around the bay area, and hope they know what they are doing
2. The shop in Oakland someone recommended - which would not only be a longer drive for me, but probably 4 times more expensive ..

Did anyone have experience (good or bad) / heard anything about the guys on one of the bay Besybuys ? What do you think ?

Thank you !!

Elad
Old 09-16-2009, 02:04 PM
bjellis99

Originally Posted by eladm
Hi all,
I am about to buy a used Pioneer double din Navi + BT and would like to install it in my new Z . I asked you before and also here and it seems I have 2 options :
1. Bestbuy around the bay area, and hope they know what they are doing
2. The shop in Oakland someone recommended - which would not only be a longer drive for me, but probably 4 times more expensive ..

Did anyone have experience (good or bad) / heard anything about the guys on one of the bay Besybuys ? What do you think ?

Thank you !!

Elad
Hello Elad...I would personally stay away from Bestbuy due to the fact that usually these installers don't give a crap about your car. They dont care if the lose a bolt or rip off a plastic clamp. They just want to hurry up and go home for the day.

I installed a Pioneer Avic-f700bt a few months ago by myself and I had no previous experience installing electronics in cars. It was pretty straight forward and the peace of mind knowing there wasn't going to be some kid ripping my precious Z apart, was well worth the effort. I even did the mod to allow me to operate the navigation and watch movies while the car is in motion.

As long as you have all the parts you need...there is no reason why you cant complete the install by yourself. Just my 2 cents!

--bjellis99
Old 09-16-2009, 07:21 PM
ITOzann

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bjellis99
Hello Elad...I would personally stay away from Bestbuy due to the fact that usually these installers don't give a crap about your car. They dont care if the lose a bolt or rip off a plastic clamp. They just want to hurry up and go home for the day.

I installed a Pioneer Avic-f700bt a few months ago by myself and I had no previous experience installing electronics in cars. It was pretty straight forward and the peace of mind knowing there wasn't going to be some kid ripping my precious Z apart, was well worth the effort. I even did the mod to allow me to operate the navigation and watch movies while the car is in motion.

As long as you have all the parts you need...there is no reason why you cant complete the install by yourself. Just my 2 cents!

--bjellis99
^+1 most shops are like that! not all tho DIY!
Old 09-26-2009, 12:41 AM
liveZstrong

Originally Posted by bjellis99

--bjellis99
Are there instructions on how to DIY? I would like to try myself, but I never had any previous experience installing electronics in a car.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:59 AM
bjellis99

Originally Posted by liveZstrong
Are there instructions on how to DIY? I would like to try myself, but I never had any previous experience installing electronics in a car.
These are the instructions I used. http:// ww w .3 5 0 z - t e c h. c o m/zwiki/Head_Unit_Installation

Last edited by bjellis99; 09-26-2009 at 06:04 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:45 PM
mcarther101

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by liveZstrong
Electronics are a headache. At least make sure you have a friend there that knows what he's doing. I usually just order pizza, and enslave some friends to help me in that department.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Silkfiveseven

lots of DIY on this website.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:40 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where are you in the bay area? i may have time this week to throw a headunit in for ya. taking a week off from working on cars