Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

3.5L to 4.15L upgrade at ZCarGarage!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 01:10 PM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 3.5L to 4.15L upgrade at ZCarGarage!

A few months ago I was in the hunt for more power and contracted Zcargarage to install some Tomei Parts onto my car; headers and camshafts. The install went very well with my car picking up great power everywhere in the revband. Below is a link to that ordeal.

https://my350z.com/forum/northern-ca...ar-at-zcg.html

The need for more and more power is an addiction that can't be easily subsided as many of you know, therefore shortly after receiving the car a new batch of upgrades came along consisting of a Cosworth Plenum, Samco Induction Hose, larger MAF housing and Apexi Power Filter. Timing was never on my side and I never got time, due to work, to truly install them the way they should be, which is including a retune since the air entering the heads will vastly change and most notably the larger MAF housing altering the reading coming form the MAF sensor. This half limbo state made the itch for even more upgrades even stronger, therefore more elaborate planning came along.

Force Induction is always a great and easy choice to make, especially having a Vortech veteran installer/tuner like Zcargarge right around the corner. He has shown over and over again great gains and reliability with this upgrade. Well, my choice could have been an instant gratifying one but unfortunately for me, my engineering mind always gets the better of me, leading towards roads that are less common and sometimes ridiculous idiotic. With force induction out of the question, the only other area I can possibly change to gain power is with the internal engine components. From that decision on, pandora's box was wide open leading to countless possible components combination to research and to guess on possible hit or miss chemistry between the parts. I finally came up with a list I thought was awesome and good to go, so naturally Zcar was on the other end of the line.

As I was getting ready to leave to Asia for a 2-4 weeks business trip (this was last week), Zcargarge wanted to take this opportunity and bring my car in to get the ball rolling. After reviewing the list with Rob, a road bump happened. A great thing about Rob is that he does what he knows the best and anything outside of that he would seek outside expertise. Here is where Rebello Racing came in (Zcar's engine builder), I'm sure many of the veteran Z owners know of the name and their reputation (I didn't but once I looked him up I was amazed). Rob always picks the best for his client and his only recipe is success and satisfactino, so there shouldn't be any doubts that his partners would be top notch. Anyways, my so called creme de la creme list was reviewed by Rebello and red flags were tossed left and right. When a guy of his stature and name says something, then there shouldn't be much for anyone to say. After a few phone calls, emails and visits, we had a pretty good idea of what is going to be done to my engine. So here is hte list. Some of the parts are current to my car but are here for completeness. Along the way I'm sure things will change as Rebello sees fit, but here it is as of today.

Current parts that will be reused
-Apexi 80mm filter (ported to fit the below item)
-3" MAF housing
-Samco induction hose
-Cosworth Intake Plenum
-Unorthodox Lightweight Crankshaft Pulley
-Unorthodox Flywheel
-Tomei V2 Headers
-Ichiba Test Pipes
-Motordyne XYZ pipe

New Parts
-Supertech Single spring valvetrain
-Cosworth 100mm head gasket
-Brian Crower 88mm strocker crankshaft
-JE 100mm 11.0CR Pistons
-Manley Turbo Tuff Connection rods
-Darton MID sleeves
-ACL Calico coated race bearings
-ARP main studs
-Nissan HR head studs
-Nissan Revup Oil pump
-Some sort of fuel upgrade (fuel pump with/without injectors)

Labor
-Hone/bore to 100mm and deck shortblock
-Rebello Stage4 CNC head cylinders(not 100% sure what is involved but sounds like a 5 angle job and some porting/grinding and polishing). He retains stock valve diameters and pretty much outperforms anyone even if they are using large valves.
-Rebello custom grind camshafts, based on engine model.
-Balancing of entire short block as a rotating assembly
-Blueprinting of long block
-Port matching and polishing
-Tuning wise, I'm going to stay with Osiris flashing and get it tuned for 91, 100 and possibly E85.

I'm sure some will ask what the goals of this project, but truthfully I didn't really put any numbers to it, but if push comes to shove then I would say 75whp and 100wtq more then what I dynoed at Zcargarage putting my car at 350/350. With that said, here is the latest dyno I have on my car to put things into perspective. It also reflects the previous stage of upgrades I did at Zcar.

Those numbers are pretty good for an all engine VQ35DE on Rob's Dynojet. Here is the list of performance upgrade associated with the highest reading curve on the dyno above, for those that are interested.

-Jim Wolf Tech Popcharger
-Stillen Z-Tube
-Motordyne 5/16th Spacer
-Motordyne MREV2
-Tomei Procam 264in/264ex
-Tomei Expreme Headers V2
-Ichiba Test Pipes
-Motordyne XYZ
-Osiris Tune

Below are some sound clips showing how the car sounded like after Rob worked on it.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v494/gabe3d/car/MVI_5031.flv">

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v494/gabe3d/car/MVI_5029.flv">

Additional non performance engine work I was planning of doing with the help of Rob, while my car is in few pieces are as follow.
-Swap out my radiator hose to black silicone (why did I ever buy blue hoses!)
-Anodize my timing cover to Matte Black
-Anodize my strut brace to Matte Black
-Maybe paint my washer fluid and coolant tank black.
-Painting the radiator mount black.
-Change out my CD001 transmission to the latest CD009

Here is how the engine bay looks as of now, so you guys can get an idea.

That is it for now, I'll try to keep this thread up to date as much as I get from Rob since I am overseas, but to say the least this is very exciting project for me and Rob.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:13 PM
danieluser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice, saw this in the na builds section! Rebello is @_@ awesome! You will have an amazing engine. I LOL a bit when your car jizzed on your driveway haha nice
Old 09-24-2009, 04:20 PM
forced_04

Originally Posted by danieluser
very nice, saw this in the na builds section! Rebello is @_@ awesome! You will have an amazing engine. I LOL a bit when your car jizzed on your driveway haha nice

wat
Old 09-24-2009, 04:23 PM
forced_04

Am I missing something like a TT kit? maybe GT30's or bigger...

you know what those sleeves are good for right?

and those rods

and those pistons

you could have as much power as you want with that set-up.....

might as well go FI right now when everything is out so you dont have to pay labor on it again.

Last edited by forced_04; 09-24-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:28 PM
gabe3d

Yeah. I decided to make a thread closer to home for anyone needing to find a shop to do more elaborate work on their motor. Hopefully this build will go smooth and nice. I am confident zcar and rebello will deliver.

Kinda funny awkward comment on the jizzing, hehe
Old 09-24-2009, 04:36 PM
mcarther101

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with forced_04, slap some FI on that ish. I saw a used Vortech supercharger kit for $3k in our norcal for sale section a bit ago.

I'm confused though... the dyno is NOT with the new parts installed correct? I hope not.

Last edited by mcarther101; 09-24-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:41 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by forced_04
Am I missing something like a TT kit? maybe GT30's or bigger...

you know what those sleeves are good for right?

and those rods

and those pistons

you could have as much power as you want with that set-up.....

might as well go FI right now when everything is out so you dont have to pay labor on it again.
I have decided from the beginning that FI will not make its way into my car.

Not sure what you mean by what the sleeves, rod, and pistons are good for.

Trending Topics

Old 09-24-2009, 04:43 PM
mcarther101

Originally Posted by gabe3d
Not sure what you mean by what the sleeves, rod, and pistons are good for.
I think he means the power that they are capable of supporting without breaking.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:00 PM
gabe3d

I didn't choose to go this route without serious thought. Of course $/hp going FI is much more worthwhile and going FI immediately would give me more power, but this build is not about peak numbers.

I didn't choose those parts because of the power capbilities but because of the required dimensions needed for the stroker kit. As far as the sleeves go, it is required to run 100mm bore. Of course if there were more economical parts fitting those dimensions then I would have picked them.

I know this build seems ridiculous to some but it will really show what our motors are capable of without the need of ramming air into it. Also on the same line show what a good engine builder can do with the right skills.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:01 PM
forced_04

mcarther101= exactly what i was trying to convey.

IMO whattheeffisthepointofthisbuild

Last edited by forced_04; 09-24-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:14 PM
mcarther101

Exactly^

IMO whattheeffisthepointofthisbuild
An NA build I think..? I'm highly skeptical of gettin 350whp/wtq on a VQ35DE motor. I'm not sure if you'll get +75whp, +100wtq... but I hope you prove me wrong.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:22 PM
gabe3d

I can fully understand that certain people like yourself will see things this way but some people love the instant gratification FI gives you. My preference of a well mannered, powerful and relaible street car is not an FIed VQ. The larger displacement and longer stroke will give better daily driving experience.

Regarding the potential power of the stroker NA, there are few cars doing mid 300s already with a lot less work. I am very confident that it can be achieved. Rebello himself built a 440bhp 3.7L VQ, it's a race engine and therefore peaky but nonetheless proving that it can be done.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:23 PM
forced_04

440hp Rebello motor is a RACE motor and i thought you are looking for a

[I]My preference of a well mannered, powerful and relaible street car is not an FIed VQ. The larger displacement and longer stroke will give better daily driving experience./I]

You cnofuse me plain and simple...

Last edited by forced_04; 09-24-2009 at 05:30 PM. Reason: just caught the previous post
Old 09-24-2009, 05:37 PM
gabe3d

440hp Rebello motor is a RACE motor and i thought you are looking for a

[I]My preference of a well mannered, powerful and relaible street car is not an FIed VQ. The larger displacement and longer stroke will give better daily driving experience./I]

You cnofuse me plain and simple...
Correct hence the reason I mentioned that it was a race engine. I wanted to note that even with less displacment and less stroke a high powered car can be built. With the introduction of more displacement and longer stroke the goals of attaining similar gains are much easier without having a peaky engine.

Thanks for the luck. I know I am in good hands but more good luck is a never a bad thing.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:46 PM
mcarther101

I'm a bit confused of the point in staying NA with a G35 myself...

330whp/330wtq on a ~3500lb car isn't impressively fast. It's about what a 350z HR and 370z balance out to in stock form. If that's your goal though, then don't mind me :P I just personally would spend the money differently. But it's your car, and your money, and you're in good hands at ZCG!

Last edited by mcarther101; 09-24-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:49 PM
forced_04

To each their own I guess. keep us posted
Old 09-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Crom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to admit - its a little awkward seeing a popcharger connected to the cosworth, but congrats on the motor....
Old 09-24-2009, 05:57 PM
gabe3d

By the way force, I remember talking to you about your SC install and experience. How come your sigs says V2 on the way?

The new Z will not have as much torque as what will come out of this engine. It's pure physics as the journal's travel play a direct effect on TQ. I would be very surprised if you can find a 300wtq HR on an SAE corrected DJ.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:03 PM
mcarther101

It's pure physics as the journal's travel play a direct effect on TQ. I would be very surprised if you can find a 300wtq HR on an SAE corrected DJ.
It's not a matter of having 300wtq, it's a matter of the 350z and 370z being 200-300lbs lighter. HP/weight/drivetrain & gearing.

I was just saying when the car gets off the dyno, and onto the road I wonder if it will really be even much faster than cars you can get practically stock with similar or slightly less power levels.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:18 PM
forced_04

By the way force, I remember talking to you about your SC install and experience. How come your sigs says V2 on the way?

The new Z will not have as much torque as what will come out of this engine. It's pure physics as the journal's travel play a direct effect on TQ. I would be very surprised if you can find a 300wtq HR on an SAE corrected DJ.

i also have a single turbo low-comp PPW that hopefully without delay if everything goes okay will be done shortly.

Quick Reply: 3.5L to 4.15L upgrade at ZCarGarage!