Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

thunderhill 11/06/09

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 08:17 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's funny, our autox Prez sent out an email invitation to join him as "Friends of Corvettes" with HookedOnDriving on F 10/30. Event cost? $275. I emailed him and said I would stick with my $99 event fee. I did invite him though.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:40 PM
solidfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey scott, does the lesson drivers group drive in their own session? Or do they stick us in with the rest of the solo drivers?
Old 10-19-2009, 02:12 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by solidfish
Hey scott, does the lesson drivers group drive in their own session? Or do they stick us in with the rest of the solo drivers?
It looks like you'll go in with the SOLO drivers after the schooling portion in the morning. . .

"For novice drivers (those who haven't driven on a race track before) we provide a one-day driving school. This school begins with three "track familiarization" classroom sessions and on-track exercises in the morning. These activities are designed to get the driver comfortable with the rules, process and experience of open track driving. In the afternoon, the remaining two track sessions are regular Open Track sessions for the drivers, with typical "Solo" passing rules. This school offers one instructor for each five students, and predominantly does not have instructors in the passenger seat of the student.

80-90% of our drivers are moved into the Solo group after this classroom, the rest are encouraged to take the classroom a second time. As the school is a single day, customers registering for weekend events should chose either day for the school, but not both. Those wanting to attend the full weekend may register for two days, but it will be NCRC's decision as to whether the driver moves to the solo group, or remains in the school for the second day."

Missed you yesterday at the club autox!
Old 10-19-2009, 02:48 PM
solidfish

Ah sorry, I should read the fine print.

I was there yesterday, but a little late... I was there for a few minutes in the morning to register then came back in the afternoon for my session. I actually saw you running before I left. It was a quick course. I figured I'd be happy doing 35s but ended up tapping 34 before the end. Not the greatest but for stock street tires, I was pretty psyc'd. But I'm really looking forward to this thunderhill event!
Old 10-19-2009, 03:18 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Ah sorry, I should read the fine print.

I was there yesterday, but a little late... I was there for a few minutes in the morning to register then came back in the afternoon for my session. I actually saw you running before I left. It was a quick course. I figured I'd be happy doing 35s but ended up tapping 34 before the end. Not the greatest but for stock street tires, I was pretty psyc'd. But I'm really looking forward to this thunderhill event!
Ah, I'm glad you made it! I was there early but bugged out about noon since I helped set up the course on Saturday and had some things to get to in the afternoon. A 34.xxx is good compared to the other cars, and especially given your stock tires. Most of the cars were 35s+ in the two sessions I was there for, so that's great.

As for how your sessions may work out in the school, here is their typical schedule:

http://www.ncracing.org/images/schedule/sched091106.gif

BTW, did you sign up yet? I think I'm going to anyway, I'll just have to leave after the 4th of 5 sessions in order to make it work.

Last edited by scotts300; 10-19-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:52 PM
tracknut

Originally Posted by scotts300
It looks like you'll go in with the SOLO drivers after the schooling portion in the morning. . .
Hi Guys, this is Dave from NCRC. I thought I'd pop in and clarify this statement, it may have been confusing on our web site. The driving school folks have their own run group for the whole day. We don't "mix" any groups together. So yes, the last two sessions of the driving school are regular open track driving, under our "solo rules" (i.e. passing only on the straights), you will still be driving with the same folks that were in the school for the morning. The Solo group (next one up) has their own group for the day, not on the track at the same time.

Dave
Old 10-19-2009, 09:28 PM
solidfish

Originally Posted by tracknut
Hi Guys, this is Dave from NCRC. I thought I'd pop in and clarify this statement, it may have been confusing on our web site. The driving school folks have their own run group for the whole day. We don't "mix" any groups together. So yes, the last two sessions of the driving school are regular open track driving, under our "solo rules" (i.e. passing only on the straights), you will still be driving with the same folks that were in the school for the morning. The Solo group (next one up) has their own group for the day, not on the track at the same time.

Dave
Ah, thanks Dave for the clarification. I thought it would be a bit intimidating driving with experienced drivers, who wants to go fast, on my first day. This makes it sound a bit better. I just emailed you about my registration.

Do you still have openings for the lessons? I think SE5spd is interested and hasn't signed up yet...
Old 10-20-2009, 06:16 AM
tracknut

Do you still have openings for the lessons? I think SE5spd is interested and hasn't signed up yet...
Yes, we have a few spots left, but it's getting close at this point. My guess is you'd have about a week to get registered before we fill out in the driving school group. So if anyone wants to come but has been sitting on the fence, now's the time to decide!

Dave
Old 10-20-2009, 06:42 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by tracknut
Yes, we have a few spots left, but it's getting close at this point. My guess is you'd have about a week to get registered before we fill out in the driving school group. So if anyone wants to come but has been sitting on the fence, now's the time to decide!

Dave
Hi Dave! We love NCRC!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:23 AM
pchio

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scotts300
Hi Dave! We love NCRC!
+1
Old 10-20-2009, 09:59 AM
tracknut

Thanks guys!

Old 10-21-2009, 08:09 PM
SE5spd

dang I can't make it. stuff came up, this is pretty sh!tty
Old 10-22-2009, 06:38 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by M1r4cL3
Dam ... i just went to sign up for 11/6 NCRC and found that the SOLO group I was gonna sign up for is full already.

Guess it's my fault for snoozin'
Sign up for point by! That's what I'm signed up for, just have to leave a little early to get back for an engagement party.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:56 AM
solidfish

Nice Scott. Looks like i'll see you out there. Maybe you can give me some 'pointers' when I'm out there.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:09 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Nice Scott. Looks like i'll see you out there. Maybe you can give me some 'pointers' when I'm out there.
Absolutely!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:41 PM
pchio

4 more days, get ur car ready and see u guys there!
Old 11-02-2009, 06:16 PM
SlipZ

Guys be safe out there...you can check out my for sale for Sparco Seats in marketplace (norcal)...did not mean to jack the thread..sorry..
Old 11-03-2009, 09:34 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

I am almost ready to rock. Z was showing some hesitation while at the drags last Wednesday, so Rob @ ZCG cleaned up an issue with the knock sensor and the Z is rocking again. See you up there! We should all pit nearby each other if possible. The forecast right now is calling for some showers, so we'll see how things evolve over the next few days for weather and make a pit plan.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:20 PM
pchio

Shower? damn! Although it will be fun, but I just wanna try out my new tires and see how they are doing.

A week ago, I was doing some indoor go kart and got hit full speed by an idiot on the side. My ribs still hurt like crazy, I am seeing a chiropractor these days, I hope I will be fine on Friday. Damn!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:20 PM
pchio

Btw, I have reserved a covered parking, how about u guys?

Quick Reply: thunderhill 11/06/09