Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

thunderhill 11/06/09

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 10:19 PM
pchio

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice meeting you all! Having so much fun today!
Old 11-07-2009, 12:20 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good times today, guys, pics (and maybe vids) coming. . .
Old 11-08-2009, 09:59 PM
pchio

Some pics from gotbluemilk.com NCRC 11/6 thunderhill pics

Car # 219, 747, 808, 44, 32 Am I missing someone here?

Last edited by pchio; 11-08-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:06 PM
zettahertz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was #21, both shared a number in different sessions i guess.. haha
Old 11-09-2009, 08:41 AM
zettahertz

Some lap data from Session5 w/ G2X. Very interesting stuff:
http://picasaweb.google.com/zettaher...erhill1162009#

Video of session5:
http://www.vimeo.com/7513739

Gonna ask my friend to make the gauge overlay onto video with Track Vision.

only did like ~7 laps 'cus the traffic literally was making me sick (motion sickness... such a debilitating malady)

Last edited by zettahertz; 11-09-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:18 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by zettahertz

Video of session5:

only did like ~7 laps 'cus the traffic literally was making me sick (motion sickness... such a debilitating malady)
Very cool data. What is the difference between actual fast lap and theoretical fast lap? BTW, you could definitely drive in the point-by group running 2:teens.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:28 AM
zettahertz

The theoretical is calculated based on all the lap's fastest times in each section (of that session). Actual is what i actually got.

Like how passing the celica on the left on turn 1 of my fastest lap costed me some time, so it substitutes the time from another lap.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:46 PM
derangedtoolman

Video of session5:

just some pointers to get you faster! not trying to be an *** or anything..

turn 2, stay wider and bring it in as you get closer to the apex. the line you are running is for something like a miata, they can hug the inside of 2 the whole time and get faster times cause they travel less distance. but if you dont do that you can get more speed coming out of the turn.

turn 5, bring it out to the right further, stay on the gas longer, and brake later. Since you are going up hill, the car will slow down a lot. If you stay further to the right, it will make the turn smoother transition.

turn 6, seems like you need to brake harder? not too sure about this one, just saw that you were under steering. maybe brake a littler earlier and then turn in a little earlier too.

happy to see you do turn in early for 8, good job

turn 9 and 10, seems like you can be further out to the right before the turn ins.

turn 11, missing the apex, have to get on the brakes harder and turn in earlier.

turn into turn 14 later. but nice transition between 14 and 15, by making it just one big turn. that allows you to carry a lot of speed into the straight.

just some pointers, dont have to agree with me. and this was just based on watching a couple laps. Seemed like this was early in the morning so you could have just been warming up
Old 11-09-2009, 07:03 PM
zettahertz

thanks for the tips, i'll try them out. positive criticism is always welcome . This was actually in the late afternoon.

do you have any track videos, derangedtoolman?

I'm used to taking turn 2 towards the left edge, seems to be working pretty good. Faster than the evo's at this section. Seen quite a lot of fast cars take this kinda of line. (example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxGJdor7gwU)
Yeah, think I can hold on gas longer, tend to let go a bit early. I'm iffy about how to properly take 5a (downhill and slightly off camber) and 6 properly.
But I definitely agree with turn 9,10,11, and 14. was a bit scared of running at the right edge of the track while trying to do heel-toe downshifts for the first time consistently. 11 needs a bit harder braking.

http://www.vimeo.com/6661340
S2k N/A doing 2:06. Damn that thing can hold on the corners...

need more practice...!!!

Last edited by zettahertz; 11-09-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:54 PM
pchio

I wish I got some videos, I put my GO PRO inside the car, and it just too bright to see anything outside of the vehicle! DAMN IT!

Any way to get that fixed with some computer software? lol
Old 11-09-2009, 08:02 PM
derangedtoolman

oops

Last edited by derangedtoolman; 11-09-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:08 PM
derangedtoolman

thanks for the tips, i'll try them out. positive criticism is always welcome . This was actually in the late afternoon.

do you have any track videos, derangedtoolman?

I'm used to taking turn 2 towards the left edge, seems to be working pretty good. Faster than the evo's at this section. Seen quite a lot of fast cars take this kinda of line. (example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxGJdor7gwU)
Yeah, think I can hold on gas longer, tend to let go a bit early. I'm iffy about how to properly take 5a (downhill and slightly off camber) and 6 properly.
But I definitely agree with turn 9,10,11, and 14. was a bit scared of running at the right edge of the track while trying to do heel-toe downshifts for the first time consistently. 11 needs a bit harder braking.

http://www.vimeo.com/6661340

need more practice...!!!
i do have track videos, but i had some hard times getting it to upload properly. Its a go-pro cam so its not that great of video. I'll try again tmrw.

for turn 2, i am in an almost spec miata car myself. I know that i can take that turn hugging the inside line, but when i am running behind people i have noticed that i have a harder time catching up to the bigger cars such as the Z and vettes, if they dont hug the inside. I feel like the bigger cars scrub too much speed off as they try to hold the inside line. Just give it a try, start right in the middle of the track at the beginning of turn 2, and keep looking out of your left window. as you see the apex getting close to you start to bring it in, and then start to let it go out to the other side and hit the berm. Again the Z is not as balanced as the cayman or miata, so they have an easier time holding on the inside of 2.

over 5, you just have to make sure to get all the way to the right side of the track. brake late and hard, since it is up hill. you just have to know that the track is there since you can't see it, and be able to carry as much speed as possible. I have been told by a couple instructors that i carry a good amount of speed through 5 and 9. I'll try to get that video to work so i can show you.

Last edited by derangedtoolman; 11-09-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:10 PM
zettahertz

Originally Posted by pchio
I wish I got some videos, I put my GO PRO inside the car, and it just too bright to see anything outside of the vehicle! DAMN IT!

Any way to get that fixed with some computer software? lol
That happened to my friend too. He put it in the rear and the inside is clear and outside looks white and washed out.

Last edited by zettahertz; 11-09-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:18 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

need more practice...!!!
I put the left tire on the left berm heading down the hill, then keep the car tight on the right, as there is a lot of grip there. The car will just poke out to the left and go over the dip, but if you keep at it, it'll come back to the right of the track and set you up on the right for the left hander that follows. That's one of my favorite sequences on the track.

My videos were shaky this time, but I need to cut them down to <10 minutes for youtube still - dang.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:07 PM
pchio

need more practice...!!!
He has R-compound tires, you cant hold on to the corners like him with the street tires you have. So I agree with derangedtoolman, you need to stay wider on turn 2. I usually keep it half throttle until I see the Apex, then turn-in, hit apex and aim to the exit point.

On Turn 5, what I did is making the point straight down before I went over the dip, once I passed the dip, I can full throttle the whole turn 5a before I reach turn 6.

Turn 8, seems like to me you can still get closer to the apex, so you can carry more speed thu out the corner.

Turn 10, since this is a up hill corner, I found that less than normal braking is needed, as long as I can turn in properly, the rear will stay planted since all the weight are there.

Turn 11, brake early, straighten the line before hitting the apex, you should be able to accel. before the apex.

And that is just what I did, maybe someone will have a better way than I do.

Question for you guys:

Turn 3 & 11: Do you guys brake before turn-in or trail braking? I had a hard time turning in with trail brake since ABS keeps kicking in... however, it only kicks in onn these 2 corners, and I have no idea why.

Turn 8: Do you brake before you turn or just let the car cruise a little bit then turn in without braking? I just dont have enough guts everytime turning in without braking LOL

What cold tire pressure your tires started with on street tires? I had 27psi and usually during the 4th lap, I can get them to 40psi which my tires lose grip whenever it passed 38psi. Any way to make the tire pressure not to fluctuate that much?

Too bad my video doesnt work, otherwise I can ask u guys for some pointers too. The best I can do is 2'12, I dunno if thats possible to reach 2'10 with street tires.

Last edited by pchio; 11-10-2009 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Changed turn 9 to turn 8
Old 11-10-2009, 12:32 AM
derangedtoolman

He has R-compound tires, you cant hold on to the corners like him with the street tires you have. So I agree with derangedtoolman, you need to stay wider on turn 2. I usually keep it half throttle until I see the Apex, then turn-in, hit apex and aim to the exit point.

On Turn 5, what I did is making the point straight down before I went over the dip, once I passed the dip, I can full throttle the whole turn 5a before I reach turn 6.

Turn 9, seems like to me you can still get closer to the apex, so you can carry more speed thu out the corner.

Turn 10, since this is a up hill corner, I found that less than normal braking is needed, as long as I can turn in properly, the rear will stay planted since all the weight are there.

Turn 11, brake early, straighten the line before hitting the apex, you should be able to accel. before the apex.

And that is just what I did, maybe someone will have a better way than I do.

Question for you guys:

Turn 3 & 11: Do you guys brake before turn-in or trail braking? I had a hard time turning in with trail brake since ABS keeps kicking in... however, it only kicks in onn these 2 corners, and I have no idea why.

Turn 9: Do you brake before you turn or just let the car cruise a little bit then turn in without braking? I just dont have enough guts everytime turning in without braking LOL

What cold tire pressure your tires started with on street tires? I had 27psi and usually during the 4th lap, I can get them to 40psi which my tires lose grip whenever it passed 38psi. Any way to make the tire pressure not to fluctuate that much?

Too bad my video doesnt work, otherwise I can ask u guys for some pointers too. The best I can do is 2'12, I dunno if thats possible to reach 2'10 with street tires.
for 3 i do my braking before the turn. If you try to trail brake, it can get a little hairy. It is off chamber so trail braking can unsettle the car a lot.

for 11, i just get on the brakes hard, and turn in a little early. The miata doesnt have enough power to pull through out of the turn, so this is why i turn in a little earlier.

turn 9, all you need to do is tap on the brakes. since it is uphill if brake for long you will slow down a lot. Just tapping the brakes will allow you to have a lot of speed through the turn and on to the straight.

as for tires, what tires are you running? I have run kuhmo xs street tires and i started those at 34-35 psi cold. I thought they had the most amount of grip around 41 psi hot.

for RA1 tires i run 33-34 cold and try to get them to 38 or 39 hot.

Last edited by derangedtoolman; 11-10-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:45 AM
pchio

Originally Posted by derangedtoolman
for 3 i do my braking before the turn. If you try to trail brake, it can get a little hairy. It is off chamber so trail braking can unsettle the car a lot.

for 11, i just get on the brakes hard, and turn in a little early. The miata doesnt have enough power to pull through out of the turn, so this is why i turn in a little earlier.

turn 9, all you need to do is tap on the brakes. since it is uphill if brake for long you will slow down a lot. Just tapping the brakes will allow you to have a lot of speed through the turn and on to the straight.

as for tires, what tires are you running? I have run kuhmo xs street tires and i started those at 34-35 psi cold. I thought they had the most amount of grip around 41 psi hot.

for RA1 tires i run 33-34 cold and try to get them to 38 or 39 hot.
Sorry, I mean turn 8 instead of turn 9.

Exactly what you said on turn 3, I lost balance if I trail brake on turn 3, I will have to remember that next time!

I am running Bridgestone Re01R 265 35 18 all around. Maybe I am not driving smooth enough, so the tires get hot much quicker!? Usually I have 10 psi different from lap 1 to lap 5.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:52 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Sorry, I mean turn 8 instead of turn 9.

Exactly what you said on turn 3, I lost balance if I trail brake on turn 3, I will have to remember that next time!

I am running Bridgestone Re01R 265 35 18 all around. Maybe I am not driving smooth enough, so the tires get hot much quicker!? Usually I have 10 psi different from lap 1 to lap 5.
10psi in 5 laps?! That seems extreme to me. If it's true, you are likely sliding too much (and I did see some sliding when we were doing lead/follow!)

I don't trailbrake T3 either, the off-camber turn can grab you up and make life there miserable.

I typically work up to taking T8 without braking. I start the day with a gentle brake tap to set the car up, then work up to going through it at constant (partial) throttle without braking. Same goes for T6, and of course T7 flat.

I've been back-and-forth on using 5th gear on both straightaways and 9->10. I just don't like having to downshift back into 4th to set up the high-speed T1, though I think that's the fastest way.

I can get you a cheap set of 265/35/18 R888 tires if you want the next level of traction, although the RE01Rs are darn good.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:13 AM
zettahertz

hmm, you guys are right about turn 2. I looked at my video. I did kinda try that line on the 3rd lap (~5 minutes or so in video, kinda turned in a bit close but went back out to middle then turn in with decreasing radius instead of hugging the inside) The time through turn 2 there was 9.839s compared to 10.xxx+s for all the other laps. Or maybe i was just chasing the evo... that made me gas it a bit more haha.

I current tap the brakes a bit for turn6, already feels like it's at the limit from the tire squeal and understeer. I need to see how you do this, scott.

turn8 is scary, don't have the guts to take that w/o braking, because i get over 100mph on 7-8. what speed do you enter this turn at, scott
Old 11-10-2009, 09:45 AM
solidfish

Hey guys, it was great seeing you out there. It was a lot of fun being my first track event. The driving school was excellent and I'd recommend it to anyone starting at the track.

Anyone see my awesome tail spin on T3? Like noted above, I think you should brake before entering the turn. I got greedy on my last session and took it too fast. My rear gave loose and put me into a near drift. Then the rear caught and I almost flew off the track. The instructors actually warned us specifically about T3. Anyways, there is a lot to learn but it was a lot of fun.

I wasnt able to take a lot of pictures. I like the ones from gotbluemilk but $25/pic seems a bit steep. Are they always that pricey?

Quick Reply: thunderhill 11/06/09