Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Removing my headlamps, stumped at removing connector wire, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 08:48 PM
chimera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing my headlamps, stumped at removing connector wire, HELP

I know this is a Z forum but also have a g. My passenger headlamp lowbeam is burning out. It's now a violet color when I turn it on. I got a replacement bulb at Beshoff for $195. So I tried to replace the bulb myself with help from Spyder Auto video from Youtube. I followed step by step and removed everything to access the bulb, only problem is when it came time to "disconnect" the lamp assembly to remove it from the car, I was not able to!

Just wondering what I did wrong? Is there a tab or something on the connector wire that I need to press to pull it out? Or what?

I managed to take the bumper off easily and unscrew the 4 bolts holding the assembly but the entire assembly is still connected via the connector wires.

Had to reassemble everything last night. Same old bulb still in there.

I know there's a pic by pic instruction on the G site, it's all fine and good but it doesn't say "how" to remove the main connector wire that would allow me to take the assembly out of the car. Please help. Any ideas?
Old 10-20-2010, 08:26 AM
ntrinsik

There is a tab you push.. and its a pain to do. My best attempts have been going through the fender or somehow twisting it around so its easier to push the tab. Usually use a small flat-headed screwdriver to push the tab.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:40 AM
chimera

Originally Posted by ntrinsik
There is a tab you push.. and its a pain to do. My best attempts have been going through the fender or somehow twisting it around so its easier to push the tab. Usually use a small flat-headed screwdriver to push the tab.
Thanks! I had a feeling there was a tab, but on which "side" of the connector head is it? Relatively speaking is it underneath, on the side, or on top of the gray plastic connector head?

I see a grooved (visually like a sliding door trac) piece of plastic about an inch long on the top of the connector head, tried to press down on it and pull out at the same time and still no success.

Last edited by chimera; 10-20-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:27 AM
ntrinsik

Believe it is on the male side (if that makes sense) and underneath. You can push the tab then pull out after. Don't have to do the same motion all at once. I used the guide over at Driver.. http://g35driver.com/forums/lighting...ple-steps.html

Last edited by ntrinsik; 10-20-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:59 PM
chimera

Originally Posted by ntrinsik
Believe it is on the male side (if that makes sense) and underneath. You can push the tab then pull out after. Don't have to do the same motion all at once. I used the guide over at Driver.. http://g35driver.com/forums/lighting...ple-steps.html
Many thanks. I'm going to try tonight when I get a chance...
Old 10-21-2010, 10:10 PM
chimera

success! i finally was able to change the bulb without disconnecting the main wire. by tilting the light assembly slightly and reaching from behind the fender well, i turned the low beam access cap and extracted the bulb and replaced it.

although at some point i'll still have to learn to disconnect the entire assembly to easily replace the fog or blinker.