Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

2011 Wekfest-EPIC fail

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011 | 09:57 PM
alving

Default 2011 Wekfest-EPIC fail

Dear Weksos/Wekfest organizers etc.,
Please refund my $20 and 7 hrs of my life back

I have been to many cars shows but this was the WORST one I have ever been to in my entire life!
What is the point of a car show if you cant even stop to admire the cars or take a decent picture?
1hr waiting in line only to be rushed through a mob of people between cars parked like 6inches from each other

I saw 2 strollers hit fenders, several jacket zippers and purses rub against cars...who's brilliant idea was it to ram people in at lightspeed like they were in a moshpit at a concert?

And the cars...they were "screened" by someone? Give me a break. Neon lighting, 20" rims, some "Illest" stickers and a ill-fitting body-kit is hardly what was advertised by these folks. I was so pissed off. I invited a good friend from out of town to check it out and I felt bad...this was what the Bay Area had to offer.

Thankfully SF has good food and other things to do!

The only good thing I can think of was a great G/Z showing...way to represent guys/gals!

That's all I got

What were your impressions of the show?
Old 02-20-2011 | 10:03 PM
calin
Banned

Wow, interesting to hear this. I'm waiting until people post pictures from the show. But it did look pretty crowded in a picture someone posted on facebook.

Old 02-20-2011 | 10:40 PM
ITOzann

I've heard good input about the show from many friends. But, personally I lost interest on it since they move the event to a different location. IMO wekfest was a cool event because of the underground garage. It was one in a kind show, but not anymore. It seems like another spocom, hin kinda show :/

I'm kinda glad I didn't go even if I live 10 mins away from the fort mason

-A
Old 02-20-2011 | 10:54 PM
NoQuestionZ

Wow--I feel so bad for the poor cars in that place! SD auto show this year was alright, but they didnt have the "flagships" for most makes.

Just a AT 370ZR and all the new nissan juke/jive/jizz crap no one wants to see..

Oh well, there was 3 GTRs at the last meet here, so i got my fix

Op, sorry for the need to rant---I would have been ticked off too
Old 02-20-2011 | 11:08 PM
JZ33

a bunch of my friends were going to go and i was bummed cuz i couldnt go but after seeing that pic and reading OP's rant i dont really feel upset about not getting to go haha
Old 02-21-2011 | 06:48 AM
inqui-Z-tor

The pics at g35driver don't show that set up!! That looks very crowded. Based upon the photo, it might have been better to be staged "outside"??

http://g35driver.com/forums/northern...2011-a-12.html

Other than that .. the only complaint (such as it is) I've heard was the wait to get in (for general admission). Some posted that they were there at 1230pm but didn't "get into the show" until 2pm due to the lines ..

Last edited by inqui-Z-tor; 02-21-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-21-2011 | 06:55 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic
Premier Member

I'm glad I didn't go - my car will never be there.
Old 02-21-2011 | 10:44 AM
Max-G

Originally Posted by alving
And the cars...they were "screened" by someone? Give me a break. Neon lighting, 20" rims, some "Illest" stickers and a ill-fitting body-kit is hardly what was advertised by these folks. I was so pissed off. I invited a good friend from out of town to check it out and I felt bad...this was what the Bay Area had to offer.
yeah, seriously. there were two TERRIBLE cars that really stuck out. one scion xb with diamond plate all over the place and one mustang with a hideous flame paint job. seriously wtf.

i also had a couple friends come from up north and i don't think it was worth their time/money. made me feel bad for even suggesting they come.

it was also very disorganized. i was supposed to be on the "vip" list, but they somehow "forgot" a couple pages or some bs so i had to pay the full $20

very disappointing. they should bring it back to the roots and be less about sponsors and money. that's what made it a cool show in the first place.
Old 02-21-2011 | 10:51 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Love the color (minus the crud between the panels), but the bottles in the wheel? Dooot!

Old 02-21-2011 | 12:22 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Maybe it is just the angle, lighting, etc......but the quality of the paint and application....looks very poor.
Old 02-21-2011 | 12:23 PM
pchio

I went to Infineon for some actions instead of sitting in a garage and fell asleep this year.
Old 02-21-2011 | 12:48 PM
ITOzann

^did you drive the r8's lol
Old 02-21-2011 | 01:18 PM
inqui-Z-tor

Must be early on in the event ...

Good thing the weather was decent?

No wonder some were saying they were waitng in line for hours .. more patience than I would have had ..
Old 02-21-2011 | 01:38 PM
inqui-Z-tor

That's alot of people ... WOW!

Last edited by inqui-Z-tor; 02-21-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-21-2011 | 01:41 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic
Premier Member

I just don't understand the allure of car shows.....terrible boring.
Old 02-21-2011 | 01:43 PM
inqui-Z-tor

Hmm I was wondering about the cars staged outside

Old 02-21-2011 | 04:02 PM
alving

I see the light! I get it now!
This Wekfest thing is not about the cars. It is about the organizers, their cars, and their friend's crews(of cars?), right? I was looking at other forums before/after the show and the only people happy are the ones who got awards or had their personal cars on display. The whole "battle" thing, like breakdance fighting I guess.

I remember when Ernesto organized the JDM theory show years ago...that was good times. It was about the cars back then man. WTF happened?

Alan is that you, z-inQuizitor? Are you affiliated with Wekfest show?

My favorite car wasn't even in the show, it was outside: the V6-powered Civic coupe!

Maybe I'm getting old. The 350z became the new Integra awhile ago. Image is everything. Ill-Fatalist-beat for life dogg.

DRINK NOS, NOS, nos
DRINK NOS, NOS, nos

I should have done that track day with Patrick!
Old 02-21-2011 | 04:32 PM
Max-G

Originally Posted by pchio
I went to Infineon for some actions instead of sitting in a garage and fell asleep this year.
cool story bro
Old 02-21-2011 | 04:40 PM
Cali-Darkness
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

My opinion might be a little bias since I was in the show...

My only 2 real complaints are that my front bumper saw a whole lot of leg humping & that people dont know how to keep their hands out from under my hood, touching sh!it.

Other than that I had a good time. To me this is a huge meet with a bunch of friends and a bunch of new people. Since I was in the show I was able to walk around before the large herds of people were let in. I was able to see all the cars along with first dibs on vendor items before the crowds rolled in. Some of the guys that were in my group were snapping pics early before the crowds.

Im sure for the spectators themselves the experience was different with the long wait in lines and all.
Old 02-21-2011 | 04:55 PM
CandlestickPark

Here are my thoughts on the show, I posted them on g35driver earlier today. I was quite impressed with the caliber of cars at the show. Yes there were a few that somehow snuck past the organizers, but overall unique rides IMO.

The issue with the crowds is something that definitely needs to be addressed for future shows.

Originally Posted by CandlestickPark
I haven't been on driver since Thursday night before I left for Wekfest, just made it back home from the show.

First of all congrats to all of the winners!! Here are the results for the Infiniti's:

Best G35/37

1- Chris Condos (red APR widebody, TT, Team Ar-kan, etc.)
2- Zack (matte black RareJDM time attack)
3- Ernesto - (Blue Slate G37 Sedan Stillen Supercharged)

Best Infiniti-

1- Kris (Green APR widebody, Vortech, Team Hybrid bagged)
2- Chris (IP Vortech, UAS, Team Still Motion, etc)
3- Nam (Teal, slammed on coilovers, Team Still Motion, etc.)

Team RareJDM also had another winner, Diane, who has a Datsun 510 - 2nd place best old skool.

I had a great time at the show. It was great to see and hangout with all of the homies from NorCal, photogs and people from various blogs/websites, and my teammates. I can't even express to you how many amazing cars there were at this show, which was expected.

Again as some pointed out last year the judging needs to be improved from the standpoint that if you are judging you should not be showing, your car should be display only. When are the Wekfest organizers going to realize that someone shouldn't judge their own car? Even still all of the cars that won were more than deserving for sure, I (and many others) feel that if you judge, then don't compete.

At the end of the show it was announced that Wekfest is going on tour and that Fatlace would be collaborating with them to put on the show. Maybe with Mark (from Fatlace) being involved things will change. I know he doesn't agree with judges showing from a couple posts I've seen of his on FB calling out others who won an award at an event he thought they had organized.

Looking forward to Wekfest SoCal in June!!

Last edited by CandlestickPark; 02-21-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply: 2011 Wekfest-EPIC fail