Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Where is there a Dyno in the Bay Area?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 06:10 PM
LOU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where is there a Dyno in the Bay Area?

I have tried looking on the internet but have had no luck finding somewhere that has a dyno machine in the bay area. Can anyone help?
Old 03-07-2004, 07:52 PM
Yuichi

Talking

Louzer,

No problem. Both dynos are good and it depends which one is closer to you or price. I've dynoed many times at both and they are all cool.

(1)www.atpturbo.com <Fremont,CA> (I think) Give them a call and ask for SU for dyno appointments.

(2)www.dynospotracing.com <San Jose,CA> (ask for Dick)

I believe atp will dyno in 5th gear, where at DSR usually dynos in 3rd gear. If you give them a call them Yuichi sent yah!

zya
Yuichi

p.s. With those mods you listed if its a non track vehicle with stock wheels and a MT I bet you will dyno in 240 range. Give or take 1 or 2 hp, once the engine heats up. Thats with the pop charger kinetix cats and borla exhaust.

Let me know how close i am on my guess

Last edited by Yuichi; 03-07-2004 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:44 AM
LOU

Will do, thanks for the info! And if I dyno in the 240 range I am going to be pissed. I did not dyno at stock, but it looked like most baselines were 236-238. If I only gained around 4HP, that does not sound right. I figured about 8HP for the Borla, 6HP for the cats and a couple more from the pop-charger. Even if baseline was 236, that still puts me around 250. Of course this is all speculation until I dyno. Thanks again Yuichi!
Old 03-08-2004, 07:55 AM
Yuichi

Louzer,

Actually I don't think anyone has baselined more then 233 at any of these dynos. Thats why I say 240...

My baseline was 230 and the most we see is usually 230-233. Your numbers you figured are good, but thats if you dyno them on a stock car with no mods.

What you are doing is dynoing the mods together so the cats will effect the cats and vice versa.

Because they dyno by themselves for example say 5 each. 5 + 5 won't necessarily equal ten. It could be more but most of the times its less...

Like I said I'm not a 100% sure but i think you'll be close to that number...
Old 03-08-2004, 01:13 PM
LOU

Hey Yuichi,
I will let you know about the Dyno results. I don't know how soon I will be able to get it done. Do you suggest testing in 3rd or 5th or does it matter? FI looks better and better if I come back with low dyno results.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:13 PM
287HP

Yuichi is right, when mods are combined they dont add up to what they do individually. At DSR with a grounding kit and pop-charger I baselined 233. With nismo cams and exhaust I put down 252 in 4th gear. Keep us posted on your numbers.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:49 PM
LOU

287HP,
What's up man? I can't believe you installed cams in CA. Have you tried passing the sniffer test yet? Definitely a mod I would like to do at some point. If you are putting down 252 with cams, I fear Yuichi may be right about the 240ish range for my mods. I will post numbers as soon as I get them. I want to break in the cats some more before I dyno.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:46 AM
Yuichi

Louzer,

No it really doesn't matter, The reason behind DSR dynoing it in 3rd is because they don't want to put the car through as much stress. For example it takes longer to do a pull in 3rd then 5th, at least I believe so you can ask Dick at DSR yourself hes a nice guy. They also do it for safety reason i mean your going at a much higher speed in 5th gear then 3rd gear and you don't your Z really running off the dyno at a higher speed

ATP runs in 5th gear cause I made them If you do a search on results a lot of people whine about why wasn' the dyno done in 5th gear. The reason behind that is it is 1:1 ratio.

As far as 287hp's Cams he'll be fine, as long as he keeps the stock cats in for the test. I don't know if you read the issue with the sports compact car car challenge? But the 350Z ran the cleanest even with an ATI procharger i think it was. Those cats do a lot of work. 287 will surely run cleaner then you on a smog test

It sucks for example those people that get 93 octane and different elevations dyno stock at 240!! those bastards its not Fair!!

zya
Yuichi
Old 03-09-2004, 07:48 AM
LOU

Yuichi,
Do you think I should be worried when smog check time comes? (not for 3 more years) I kept the stock cats just for that reason. Kinetix says the cats pass CA smog. If not, I guess I will be switching stock cats in and then out again.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:46 AM
287HP

Jeff over at performance nissan had the nismo cams(he has jwt s1 cams now) headers, RT Cats, nismo intake and exhaust and he passed smog. I am going to go ahead and get high flow cats, plenum, and headers; I will then pray that I pass smog. But honestly it would be stupid of me to not put on high flow cats; my cams need to breath!

Hey Yuichi,

What numbers are you putting down on the dyno now, mid-upper 260s!
Old 03-09-2004, 01:18 PM
LOU

287HP,
Keep me updated because I want to mod the hell out of my car, but of course still pass smog. I eventually want to get either a Stillen SC or JWT TT (depending on whether or not it is going to be CARB certified). I have ruled out DreamWorkes, because they are taking to long, plus I don't know about their rear spline setup or whatever they called it. I do not want a centrifugal SC and will not consider turbos unless they become CARB approved.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:40 PM
287HP

LouZer,

I have thought long and hard about going with the JWT Turbo; that kit looks sweet. The problem is that I have already started to build up my car to be Naturally aspirated, i.e cams, advanced timing. It depends on what you want to get. I am fairly confident that I'll be in the 280+ rwhp with headers, high-flows and plenum. I have the vishnu XEDE which helps out quite a bit, and will allow me to even out the A/F ratio's once I have the high-flows on there. Plus it should add more hp. For what its worth, I dynoed 238 rwhp on shivs dyno at vishnu performance in pleasanton. And his dyno is known for giving very conservative numbers. A stock lancer evo VIII puts down about 180 rwhp on his dyno. A z06 puts down about 300 rwhp. And a stock z puts down about 200 rwhp. I would tell you to dyno at his place, but I think its more expensive than the other two places. His dyno is a better place to go for tuning. If you do decide to go with the turbo or supercharger route, I would definitely have shiv tune your car. He'll charge you about 200 bucks, but at least your engine wont blow.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:46 PM
neur0sis

There is a Dyno shop up north here, in Rohnert Park, that I was TRYING to get info on a DYNO DAY (they have these package deals on their website, with lunch included and what not) ... but I didn't think there would be a lot of interest ...

Some of you south bay'ers would actually have to DRIVE your Z *laughs* ;-)
Old 03-09-2004, 02:00 PM
LOU

287HP,
What is the vishnu XEDE. Is it a cpu reflash? Should it be something I should consider getting? Have you thought about the 350 EVO throttle body? May be a good addition to an NA engine. Is the guys name shiv? If I contact Vishnu performance is that who I should ask for? Thanks.

neur0sis,
Let me know about any new info from Rohnert Park. Thanks
Old 03-09-2004, 02:02 PM
LOU

Although Rohnert Park is a little far from me...
Old 03-09-2004, 02:12 PM
287HP

LouZer,

The xede is a piggyback unit. It is made by a company in australia named chip-torque. But Vishnu is the company that sells it around here. The stock ecu doesnt even know that it is there. It might be something to consider, especially if you are going forced induction because it will allow your car to be tuned to the max. Shiv(vishnu's owner) would really like a forced induction z to tune. i am sure you could gain at least 30 more hp with the xede. I gained roughly 6 peak rwhp with it, but I gained a very solid and consistent 10 pounds of torque throughout the entire powerband. I am curious to see exactly how much more Shiv can squeeze out once the high-flows are on the car. I think the throttle body is a good idea, the one mod i dont like are th lightened flywheels, only because of driveabiltiy issues associated with them. The xede is expensive though, 895+tax. Plus 100 for install and 200 for tuning. I would definitely get it tough, but only after you have most of you mods on. Just so you wont have to get it retuned. For what its worth, and im not advocating street racing, I ran a porsche 996 non-turbo the other day, and I pulled about a half a car through 4th gear, and trust me he was trying. So my mods are helping somewhat.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:17 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Originally posted by neur0sis
There is a Dyno shop up north here, in Rohnert Park, that I was TRYING to get info on a DYNO DAY (they have these package deals on their website, with lunch included and what not) ... but I didn't think there would be a lot of interest ...

Dan: I'm interested. Maybe we can get Fowlman and KenGrey. I could ask NorthBay if they would pass the word and see if it will bring in more.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:50 PM
neur0sis

Bill - I emailed the guys at RPM again ... they had given me some information before, but not enough to make a post about it.

They would like to get like, 10+ cars in the group ... and with that count, they would provide coffee in the morning, and lunch as well. They say to tell people that they are more than just a Dyno spot... that they are also a complete engine machine shop, and engine rebuilding facility ... and seem to think they can answer lots more questions than some other shops

I'll post more as it comes in.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:00 PM
LOU

287HP,
It is funny that you mention Porsche because my goal is to build a 350Z that will beet a 911 turbo, for half the cost. On the Porsche web site the 911 turbo is listed at 415HP & 415TQ. I am guessing that is at the crank. If so, I should be able to beat the HP numbers with a FI 350Z (whether it be a TT or SC). I don't think I will be able to match the torque though.

The xede is expensive, but something to think about once I decide/save up enough money to purchase a SC or TT kit. Probably will not be to the end of the year, if not, next tax return. Besides the cost are there any downsides to the xede? I am guessing that it would void the warranty. Then again if either of us cared that much about the warranty we wouldn't be searching for more and more mods to gain HP.

And speaking of street racing, a silly prelude try to race me the other day, but the biggest insult so far has been a civic hatchback. By the time I was shifting in to third he was a speck in my rearview. Not that I advocate street racing either, but some people need to be brought back down to earth!
Old 03-09-2004, 09:28 PM
monkey7

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Vishnu's place is pretty neat. Nice stuff for the wrx. Also another place is modacar in livermore. It says on their website $40 bucks for baseline run.

287hp I know you got a piggy back xede, I was speaking to ken from vishnu awhile back about the ecu thing and he said something about reflash for $895? Just wondering if they do that, just the piggy back or both?

Quick Reply: Where is there a Dyno in the Bay Area?