Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Suspension woes, who's in the know in the Bay Area?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 03:31 PM
neur0sis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension woes, who's in the know in the Bay Area?

Ok. I have already gone through two sets of springs on this thing, and I want more and more from my suspension.

I currently have the Tein S-Tech Springs and OEM shocks. I like the height, and the ride is OKAY...but I am noticing that its still giving me some freeway bounce, ... more like rocking back and forth, and can be harsh on some roads.

I Also have aftermarket Wheels, 18" with 40 series rubber. I know the lesser sidewall is effecting the ride quality, and possibly the stiffness of the Kuhmo MX sidewalls.

Now, For me, the suspension is turning into more and more of an important mod... since it effects my driving every day. Here is what I'm looking for:

* COMFORTABLE ride (or the ability to have a comfortable ride, when I want it)

* NOT slammed to the ground. I like the ride height of the S-Tech's, and couldn't go lower , for fear that I couldn't get in and out of my driveway. It lowered me less than an inch.

* Good cornering for spirited driving. I don't want to loose control of the car. I don't track this car, or drag... 80% of its time is spent on the damn freeway, and city streets. I like to drive out in the twisties, and would still like to be able to feel the road and not have a sloppy turn in, or cornering ability

-- Now, after all that long-windedness, Anyone have suggestions?

I have been thinking of getting Koni's to replace the shocks, and keep the S-Techs , but I don't know of anyone with that setup, and I don't know if softening up the Koni's would help or be a good match with the Tein springs.
Also, the thought has crossed my mind to just COMPLETLY upgrade the suspension, maybe a coilover kit -- Tein CS + EDFC controller, so I could adjust the ride height where I like it, and have the control in the cabin over the dampening. Anyone have this setup? It would cost me an arm and a leg, so I am not sure its worth it. Definate posibility.

Comments are welcome.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:23 PM
350ed
Professional

I got the Konis and a mild spring (-0.6") and it didn't help the bounce (at least on my bouncy highway sections)
Old 06-22-2004, 10:12 PM
BobbyBoy

We just installed a Zeal coilover system on the 350z and have to say the ride is better than stock in every aspect. Bumps are more cushioned, no more bounciness and porpoising on wierd highway surface, and the handling? Cant ask for much better id before the car lost traction. Then again it was a system that retails for $2600 dollars, but easily takes the cake over other coilovers. Same thing goes for the Zeals that we put on a Evo. We did Zeals on an MR2 as well, and the owner was tempeted to throw away his JICs that were replaced.

Last edited by BobbyBoy; 06-22-2004 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:13 AM
spf4000

I've done the lowering spring route in my previous car, and I took it out after a month because I couldn't stand the horrible ride. I'm sure the ride would have been better if I had gotten matching shocks, but I went the cheap route and paid the price for it. The old adage is definitely true when it comes to modding your cars--you get what you pay for.

I learned my lesson and switched over to a quality coilover suspension system for my old car. For the Z, I just brought back a set of HKS Hypermax II from Japan and will be installing it this weekend.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:33 AM
whatever
Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Suspension woes, who's in the know in the Bay Area?

I think it depends on how much you want to spend.
If you're not planning on tracking the car, a lot of the coil over setup are way overkill for street driving.

From your criteria, sound like the Nismo is a good fit. Does not drop the car too low yet, it improves the ride.

other option like you said, the Tein CS or flex with edfc will give you adjustability. Though if you don't track the car, the adjustability is pretty much useless since you will probably just set the dampering on one setting and leave it as it is.

As Bobby said, Zeals are great systems, but I think it's a little over kill on the street, especially for someone that doesn't plan on tracking the car. (Though if you have the dough, it is one of the best systems out there)

Just remember, most coilover setup will be stiffer then what you currently have and their main intention is to improve drivability instead of comfort.

Personally, I have the Eibachs on stock shocks with Cusco Sways. It works, improves the ride for daily driving, but it doesn't cut it for spirited driving & track driving. This is just to hold me over until I decide on my coilover of choice.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:57 AM
neur0sis

Default Re: Re: Suspension woes, who's in the know in the Bay Area?

Originally posted by whatever

From your criteria, sound like the Nismo is a good fit. Does not drop the car too low yet, it improves the ride.
Sounds contradictory to what I have heard everyone else tell me. They say the Nismo are MORE stiff than stock (as the spring rates dictate) and the ride is a little more harsh. I thought about that as an option, but threw it out since it was a more harsh ride.

other option like you said, the Tein CS or flex with edfc will give you adjustability. Though if you don't track the car, the adjustability is pretty much useless since you will probably just set the dampering on one setting and leave it as it is.
Not Entirely True. I read up on the Tein CS, and what I gather is that on the softer settings, it can be more forgiving than the stock setup, and give a smooth ride. I thought about this as an option, because I could drive to work on a setting like this, but when I wanted to hit the twisties, or go on a Z meet/drive, I could click it up a few notches, and tighten her up. I feel I'd be more apt to do this if It was at least an option to me. Problem is, I don't know anyone that has these CS coilovers, or even an opinion on them (locally anyway).

Just remember, most coilover setup will be stiffer then what you currently have and their main intention is to improve drivability instead of comfort.
That was my understanding too... but you said MOST. Do you know of any that have a good balance, or range that could be comfortable, and maybe a little more? Thats the dilema.

Personally, I have the Eibachs on stock shocks with Cusco Sways. It works, improves the ride for daily driving, but it doesn't cut it for spirited driving & track driving. This is just to hold me over until I decide on my coilover of choice.
I probabally would have gotten the Eibach springs, but I was afraid the drop would not allow me to park at home. When I put the Tein's on, I had a 5" speed bump to try and get over, and now, after I moved, I have a decently steep driveway. If I have a passenger I still manage to scrape very slightly getting out of there, even at an extreme angle. Any lower, and I think *I* would scrape daily.

Definatly appreciate the input ... more comments are most welcome!
Old 06-23-2004, 02:36 PM
jjgdyr

change out your tires and put on something w/ a more cushioning sidewall.
the shorter spring obviously make the car ride stiffer. that's a no brainer. new struts are designed to improve performance, not ride quality.
so start w/ where the car meets the road.
the factory bridgestone have a sidewall that is way tooooo stiff.
i'm running goodyear eagle f1 gs d3's on my roadster(18's).
and the ride is 50% smoother than the factory bridgestones.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:56 PM
neur0sis

As originally posted, I am running Kumo MX tires on my aftermarket 18's. Is there a listing anywhere as to which tires have a stiffer sidewall, and which don't?
Old 06-24-2004, 08:01 AM
whatever
Veteran

Default Re: Re: Re: Suspension woes, who's in the know in the Bay Area?

Disclaimer: This is all speculation from reading on the boards and vendor specs.
Anyways here goes...
Nismo:
The Nismo is stiffer than stock, but it will get rid of the bounce. I would consider that an improvement in the ride category. Without the bounce, the ride will be more stable, thus the passenger will not complain as much as before. At the same time, it would improve the handling while not dropping your car lower as some of the coilover can do.

Tein:
You are correct. It does give you the flexibility, but to be honest, the people that I know that have the EDFC, I only see them playing with it when they first got them or at the track. Maybe failsafe can chime in on this.

Eibach:
don't go this route if you already have springs... I did it mainly for the look knowing that I'm eventually going to go with coilovers.

Other:
I heard that the HKS Hipermax LS give the softest ride out of all the coilover.

good luck on your search, let us know what you decided on
Old 06-24-2004, 09:13 AM
neur0sis

Does anyone local in the bay area have the Tein CS system? I'd really like to check that out. Sometimes, in the classifieds, they can be had for around $1500 with the EDFC... I just want to see how much its adjustable.

Thanks for all your input, whatever. I really appreciate it.

And, I am also assuming that everyone else reading this either has stock suspension, or isn't happy with their setup either?
Old 06-24-2004, 12:33 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Dan, maybe it's time now that your at that age you should swap for a G35C

Couldn't resist
Old 06-24-2004, 01:40 PM
DP Z33

I have the tein coilover setup and i love it. i do wish i had the edfc, tho. driving down to zcon i had it set fairly soft for a long drive, but I really wanted to pull over and change to a stiffer setting when we got to 152 (i was in a caravan, couldn't stop).

You're welcome to come get a ride in my car and check it out.

Give Rob a call at z car garage (san jose area) 408 452-0350. set up a time with him and i'll bring my car up there (or he may have another 3fiddy available with the same setup).

hope that helps
Old 06-24-2004, 02:46 PM
neur0sis

Originally posted by zwindsor
Dan, maybe it's time now that your at that age you should swap for a G35C

Couldn't resist
har har

You should come by after work someday and take my Tein's out for a spin... It'd probabally make your Eibach's feel like you were driving a couch!
Old 06-24-2004, 02:49 PM
neur0sis

Originally posted by DP Z33
I have the tein coilover setup and i love it. i do wish i had the edfc, tho. driving down to zcon i had it set fairly soft for a long drive, but I really wanted to pull over and change to a stiffer setting when we got to 152 (i was in a caravan, couldn't stop).

You're welcome to come get a ride in my car and check it out.

Give Rob a call at z car garage (san jose area) 408 452-0350. set up a time with him and i'll bring my car up there (or he may have another 3fiddy available with the same setup).

hope that helps
Hows the adjustment without EDFC on those Tein CS? I thought that the rears had to be taken out completly to re-adjust... or am I thinking of a lower Tein model of coilovers?
Old 06-24-2004, 03:22 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Not positive but I think the EDFC only works with the Tein Flex (but could be wrong )

And I always play with the settings on my EDFC (especially on track or long drives) because I can

Edit- looks like EDFC only works with Flex:
http://www.tein.com/edfc-fit.html

Last edited by failsafe; 06-24-2004 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:33 PM
DP Z33

Originally posted by failsafe
Not positive but I think the EDFC only works with the Tein Flex (but could be wrong )

And I always play with the settings on my EDFC (especially on track or long drives) because I can

hi jason,

aren't you proud of me for not lurking

tein flex rocks...

dp
Old 06-24-2004, 03:42 PM
neur0sis

Originally posted by failsafe

Hrm, weird. I have seen several posts on here, even Vendors selling the Tein CS, that lean towards compatibility with the system. Guess I'll have to do some more digging.

*edit: This guy had the Tein CS and EDFC installed, and was selling the system - I missed out!
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ight=tein+edfc

Last edited by neur0sis; 06-24-2004 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:49 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Originally posted by neur0sis
har har

You should come by after work someday and take my Tein's out for a spin... It'd probabally make your Eibach's feel like you were driving a couch!
Off tomorrow and going for a morning drive
If I don't have to go into work for an emergency in the PM maybe we can meet up at 5. I'll give you a call if I can.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:43 PM
failsafe
....for your health

I wouldn't be surprised if the Tein information was out of date.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:21 PM
DP Z33

Originally posted by neur0sis
Hows the adjustment without EDFC on those Tein CS? I thought that the rears had to be taken out completly to re-adjust... or am I thinking of a lower Tein model of coilovers?

i actually have the tein flex kit (just w/o edfc). the adjustment is tricky at first, but pretty easy. the rears do not have to be taken out. you reach in with a long hex key. it's hard to tell what setting you're on (and i typically can't remember), but you can just go back to all the way in or out and start from there.

i also thought the edfc could only be used with the flex kit...