Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

High Perf Driving School @ Thunderhill Trip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 11:52 AM
Starman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question High Perf Driving School @ Thunderhill Trip?

I'd like to get my new Z to the track sometime this summer and take one of the high performance driving schools. Thunderhill has been reccomended as a good place to start (no walls and easy runoffs).

Who would be interested in joining me for a possible trip to Thunderhill for some racing instruction? Here's the next available dates:

July 17 (sat) and/or 18th (sun):
NASA high performance driving school at Thunderhill. Cost, $149 per day (plus $35 to join NASA if nonmember).
https://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html
https://www.nasaproracing.com/schedu...cal.html#jul17

Aug 8 (sun)
Thunderhill high performance driving school. Cost $195.
http://www.thunderhill.com/school.html

Aug 19 (thur)
Hooked on driving, track day/school. Cost $230.
http://www.hookedondriving.com/morei...?Product_ID=30

Anyone interested in attending any of those? Maybe we can get a Norcal group run going. The NASA one is the cheapest, but we'd have to sign up in the next week or so.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:35 PM
2004z
Sleeps in 350Z

I'd be interested. Either of the first two work for me.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:09 PM
LOU

Interested as well
Old 06-23-2004, 08:14 PM
apharmdb

I am planning on going to either the HPDE or NASA. I've been to the HPDE course before and it's great. Lots of folks have said the same about NASA.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:07 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never run with NASA but heard that some of their sessions get pretty crowded. You might also want to check out www.trackmasters-racing.com. They regularly run at Sears, Laguna and T-hill. Dave, Dennis and I have been to their track days and they do a great job. It's free to become a member.
I just did Laguna and Willows Springs in the last two weeks but always down to drive T-hill . Let me know what you guys settle on and I'll see if I can make it out.
Also the 12th Annual All Datsun-Nissan Meet is coming up July 15-18 at Mt Shasta. Events will include a track day at T-hill, Gymkhana and I believe 2 autocross events- all for $195. If you're interested let me know and I'll post more details.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:46 PM
Starman

Glad to see people are interested. I got some more info about the NASA one from the head instructor:

1) What time does the event start? Do you have a detailed schedule of
the racing during the day?

You have to be at the event and ready to go at 8am for the drivers'
meeting. There will be a schedule link and info sent to those that sign
up. The info will be emailed about 10 days prior. It would be good to
read all of the info found on the Nor Cal web site:
http://www.nasaproracing.com/norcal/

2) How much track time will I get each day? How many times out for how
long?

Four 20-minute sessions minimum.

3) What kind of "classroom" instruction is there?

The format varies slightly from event to event, but you always get
the "classroom" material, whether it be in a group in an actual room, or
one-on-one directly from your instructor.

4) Do instructors ride in the car with me the whole day?

Instructors will ride with you. Most of the time, they will ride the
whole day, but sometimes other formats are used. They try to work with you in the best manner possible.

5) If I bring my wife, will she be able to be a passenger? How often?

Bring your wife, your fiends, kids, etc. Everyone is welcome.
Passengers must be 18 years of age. You may take a passenger after your
instructor approves you for it.

6) How many slots are left on the registration list?

There is plenty of room left in this event for entries (in general).
However we limit the number of Group 1 participants based on the number
of instructors. Right now, there's 9 slots left in Group 1.

I'm leaning toward the NASA one right now. We'd have to sign up by next week at the latest. There is only 9 slots open. The trackmasters group doesn't have anything at Thill for the next couple months, but that group sounded good too.

Anyway, I'm heading off to Yosemite for the weekend, so I'll catch up with you all on Monday. Let me know how many want to sign up for the NASA one next week. Thanks!!

Scott
Old 06-24-2004, 02:21 PM
whatever
Veteran

there is a Thill on July 2nd with the Ferrari club through Trackmasters.

I highly recommend trackmasters. Ran with them twice @ Laguna Seca. Very organize & they provide instructors for beginner run groups. Another one I reccomend is Clubz, but they don't have another event until later in the year.

Even though I never driven in a NASA event, I would recommend against them even though they are cheaper most of the time. I hear too many accidents occuring at their events as well as witness 2 t-bone accidents within a 4 hour period watching. This in addition to people trying to bust drifts around corners screwing up everyone else's line or cutting people off while passing. In my opinion, very unsafe. Since I'm not sponsored and the car I'm driving is my daily driver, I need to be able to make it to a track event and back in one piece.
Not to mention, if this it your first event and it goes sour, I doubt you'll be motivated to come back.

Anyways, which ever track event you choose, I'm sure you'll have a blast!! just drive within your limit!!

***taking off my old man hat***
who's game for July 2nd..
Old 06-27-2004, 11:12 AM
zuddenly

i'd be interested... but i need to find a job first... got laid off a few weeks ago...
Old 06-28-2004, 09:26 AM
Starman

Originally posted by failsafe

Also the 12th Annual All Datsun-Nissan Meet is coming up July 15-18 at Mt Shasta. Events will include a track day at T-hill, Gymkhana and I believe 2 autocross events- all for $195. If you're interested let me know and I'll post more details.
Failsafe, can you post more info on this event? Is the track day a driving school too? Would I be out of place if I've never tracked before? What is Gymkhana? List as much info as you can, schedule, etc, or post a website link. Thanks!
PS. This is all the info I could find:
http://www.stillensucks.com/FYI_stuff/shasta_meet.jpg

Whatever, sounds like NASA is a bad choice then? I would really like to learn in a safe enviroment. Unfortunately, I already have plans for July 2, so I wouldn't be able to make it for the Trackmasters event. Their next event is at the end of Aug.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:32 AM
DeludedBuzz

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah I've heard a lot of bad things about running with NASA as well. Same comments about the tracks being too crowded and not well supervised and controled.

I'm running THill with the BMW Car Club of America end of august. $450 but it's a two day event (27 - 28).

They tend to have excellent instructors and run a smooth organized event.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:46 AM
Starman

I found this one too, must have missed it the first look. Anyone have any experience with the Northern California Racing Club?
http://www.ncracing.org/th040716.html

If that Club Z track day includes instruction for us novices, that would be awesome, it is only $120! ($135 after June 1).
Old 06-28-2004, 01:24 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Here are some more details on the Shasta meet:

http://www.stillensucks.com/FYI_stuff/shastapage1.jpg

The track day will include ride along instructors.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:28 PM
Balls

i wanna go!!!
unfortunately, i'll be in nyc all next month! no z for a month!!!
Old 06-29-2004, 08:44 AM
whatever
Veteran

Originally posted by DeludedBuzz
Yeah I've heard a lot of bad things about running with NASA as well. Same comments about the tracks being too crowded and not well supervised and controled.

I'm running THill with the BMW Car Club of America end of august. $450 but it's a two day event (27 - 28).

They tend to have excellent instructors and run a smooth organized event.
I been to a few BMW autox and my bro drive regularly with the BMWCCA track events. Highly recommend them though they are a bit more on the pricy side. But the group is very organized and provide really good instructions.

I would go, but I think I'm gonna save my August for Sears point with trackmaster...
Old 06-29-2004, 10:02 AM
Starman

Originally posted by whatever

I would go, but I think I'm gonna save my August for Sears point with trackmaster...
How's Sears Point for a first time track? Any walls or hairy bits? That run is Sun Aug 22 with Trackmasters. Probably plenty of time to organize a group run. Might have to keep that as an option. I like that it is on a weekend. Anyone else interested in going the end of Aug?

The deadline to sign up for the Club Z track day on the July 15th (Thurs) is quickly coming up (July 4th), but I'm not sure if sure if I can take that day off. Who all is going so far from this group?
Old 06-29-2004, 10:41 AM
failsafe
....for your health

I'm going to Shasta All Datsun Nissan meet for sure. Sending my check in today or tomorrow.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:22 PM
LPEdave

Originally posted by Starman
I found this one too, must have missed it the first look. Anyone have any experience with the Northern California Racing Club?
http://www.ncracing.org/th040716.html
I have, of course I'm one of the owners

We run a lot of events at Thunderhill, there's that one on July 16, and the next will be August 6th. We'll provide instruction for novices, coaching for intermediate and advanced drivers, a classroom session, and time trials for the inter/adv folks. We'd be glad to have anyone out at the event. We've got some 350Z drivers in the club, but it's definitely multi-marque.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about our format, etc - dave@ncracing.org - or here.

Dave
Old 06-29-2004, 04:00 PM
jackwhale

I'll be at Shasta again this year with my Z. Each of my sons will be there with their 510's. A great couple of days of track and autocross. The autocross has been in the ski lodge parking lot which has some elevation change--more exciting that a big flat parking lot. Food is catered and pretty good.

Look forward to seeing you.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:35 PM
failsafe
....for your health

If any of you are planning on attending any of the events at the All Datsun/Nissan (including Thurs, 7/15 at T-hill ) you better get on it. Registration is by mail only and the deadline to get registered is 7/3.
Really wish some more of you guys would take advantage of this deal - $195 for a full track day at T-Hill, two autoX events, gymkhana and more. Even if you can't do the full weekend you can still register for just T-Hill for only $135 (cheap track time is hard to come by).

Jackwhale- look forward to meeting you and checking out the 510's Hope to see some of you other guys there as well.

Dropped my reg form and check in the mail tonight

Last edited by failsafe; 06-29-2004 at 08:42 PM.