Pacific Alaska, Hawaii

FS: Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 01:04 PM
ctwentytwo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FS: Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM

Asking $420 +$10 if shipping out.

For Canon 1.6 crop bodies... ie: 20/30/40D, all Digital Rebels (XT, XTi, XSi).

This is still under warranty from Sigma. Purchased AUG '07. In excellent condition. Still have the receipt, all cards, manuals, and leaflets. Lens comes with a hood and pouch. The case/pouch was never used, and the box/paper materials are in excellent condition also. I'm replacing this with the Tokina 11-16.

Sigma's 10-20 page:
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...01&navigator=6

Pop Photo's Review:
http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses...dc-hsm-af.html

Sample photos from the Flickr Sigma 10-20 photo pool:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma10-20/pool/

For beginners wondering what the fuss about a Ultra Wide Angle (UWA) lens is..., at 10mm, it'll give you interesting shots of interior rooms, landscapes, and of course, give your car shots the distinct wide angle look. Your creative options will also be increased. With my trip to the Philippines, I had this lens on most of the time. It's indispensable for a travel lens.

Here's some shots I took with it too give you an idea of the creative possibilities unique to UWA.

Last edited by ctwentytwo; 05-04-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump for awesome lens and my favorite to use in my collection.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:26 PM
dj.kickz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know you're not giving up on your UW angle so what'd you replace it with? This is my favorite lens of all the ones I own.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:30 PM
ctwentytwo

The Tokina 11-16

Jamie, looks like the car is gonna take the back seat to this hobby just this time. ****, I wanted new rims!!! and a new spoiler! Nah, still changing the spoiler soon.

BTW, how's next Sunday for some practice shooting... I know 67Nismo wanted some pointers.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:31 PM
67ZNISMO

check you PM
Old 05-04-2008, 01:59 PM
rr_z33

Originally Posted by ctwentytwo
The Tokina 11-16

Jamie, looks like the car is gonna take the back seat to this hobby just this time. ****, I wanted new rims!!! and a new spoiler! Nah, still changing the spoiler soon.

BTW, how's next Sunday for some practice shooting... I know 67Nismo wanted some pointers.

damn so expensive!
Old 05-04-2008, 02:04 PM
67ZNISMO

Originally Posted by rr_z33

damn so expensive!
erwin is a baller man...lol
Old 05-04-2008, 02:35 PM
dj.kickz

isnt the Tokina 11-16 a fish eye?
i can't wait to see it man. what spoiler you gonna go with? my nismo should be here in a couple weeks.
oh yah, next sunday's good for me.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:47 PM
ctwentytwo

Originally Posted by 67ZNISMO
erwin is a baller man...lol
NOPE, not a baller here. Shoot, if I was a baller, the car would be blown with the greddy twins. And my lens collection would be filled with "L" glass. And look closely at the invoice... notice the "Bill Me Later."

Sunday it is guys. BTW, there's a cool place... those soccer fields by the golf course right behind your place. If you guys got ideas... I welcome them. Time?

Originally Posted by dj.kickz
isnt the Tokina 11-16 a fish eye?
i can't wait to see it man. what spoiler you gonna go with? my nismo should be here in a couple weeks.
oh yah, next sunday's good for me.
Nope, not a fisheye, but I did get the Sigma 10mm f/2.8 fisheye along with the 11-16.

The Tokina fisheye is the 10-17mm, which I would have bought, but the Sigma's a constant f/2.8.

Reason why I got the 11-16 is the constant f/2.8, which I needed in certain handheld , low light city situations I encountered during my trip. I should have gotten a monopod also.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:42 PM
blazed54

Question for all the photography guys. what books would you recommend for the avg beginner on photography? I currently only have a Canon SD850 IS and although it is a point and shoot camera, I feel there's much more potential I can gain from it before upgrading to expensive SLR's. Also, from what i've seen, it seems the post processing on the computer is important to getting awesome pictures. Any good beginner books you can recommend to me? thx for any opinions.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:19 AM
dj.kickz

i say screw the books and just go out and take as many pictures as you can. i don't know anything about the Canon SD850 but some higher end point and shoot cameras you can adjust the aperture and shutter speed. Play around with those settings and see how they effect you're pictures.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:42 AM
ctwentytwo

Originally Posted by blazed54
Question for all the photography guys. what books would you recommend for the avg beginner on photography? I currently only have a Canon SD850 IS and although it is a point and shoot camera, I feel there's much more potential I can gain from it before upgrading to expensive SLR's. Also, from what i've seen, it seems the post processing on the computer is important to getting awesome pictures. Any good beginner books you can recommend to me? thx for any opinions.
John Hedgecoe's New Introductory Photography Course is one of the first books I purchased right after my first DSLR. It's a great book for understanding the basics and gives you some ideas for some stuff to try.

The Digital Photography Book, Volume 1 & 2 by Scott Kelby is a little cheaper on Amazon, although I don't have it, I've only heard good things about both books. You might want to try the first book first, as the second one builds on the basics.

But the most important book I've read thus far is Light, Science & Magic. Now it assumes you know the extreme basics of photography, like aperture, DOF, FOV, shutter speed, etc... but as soon as you get an idea of how the settings on your camera affects the outcome of the shot, get the book. Photography is all about light, and how light reacts to different surfaces, and how it translates to film/sensors. This book will help you understand light, and will take your shots to the next level.

There are some P&S cameras that have full manual, ie: lets you change aperture/shutter time independent of each other. Otherwise, the only information that will be useful is composition of the shots, which is important also.

Just as important is the digital darkroom, like you pointed out. Post Processing is a must IMO, to get the full potential out of your shot. It can be compared to processing film. Some film people get bent out of shape... saying PP is like "cheating," but it's really another form of using different chemical techniques with film. How you process them is up to you... whether you want more saturation (color), or contrast, you make the final choice. But it should definitely fall within reason. Post processing is why I only shoot in RAW, which gives you better results than post processing JPEGs. Some P&S's shoot RAW files.

I've started various threads in the photography section, so you can check those out... notably the "Canon Digital Photography Pro RAW" thread that is stickied there, which details on what the advantages of RAW vs JPEG are. You can also google this topic if it interests you.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:49 AM
blazed54

^thx a million erwin. will check those books out. too bad that by the time i'm good enough for your lenses you'll have sold them already. oh well gl with the sale.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:48 AM
ctwentytwo

Originally Posted by blazed54
^thx a million erwin. will check those books out. too bad that by the time i'm good enough for your lenses you'll have sold them already. oh well gl with the sale.
No problem Jason... I only started about 1 1/2 years ago after seeing Leemiks pictures, I had to get images of my car that was as good as his. I learned slowly, but just kept building and wanting to try different stuff. One thing I still do is read alot about photography, even subscribe to PopPhoto magazine. Another thing you might want to do is pick up an issue of PopPhoto or Shutterbug to get some inspiration and tips for post processing, as well as the latest news.

The problem most beginners have is deciding how to compose the pic. What to include or exclude, and the positioning of the subject within the frame.

But I would seriously invest in a DSLR. They don't cost much, as an Olympus DSLR system with two lenses that will satisfy all shooting situations a P&S camera would, but will do it with better definition and allow you more creativity, will only set you back $600. It's only is expensive if you choose to make it so, whatever brand you choose. I wish I would have gotten into this alot earlier as I have missed documenting alot of moments I could have captured in images. When you're retired and old, you'll be glad you did when you look back at the pics.

Last edited by ctwentytwo; 05-05-2008 at 02:50 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:46 PM
67ZNISMO

Sunday it is guys. BTW, there's a cool place... those soccer fields by the golf course right behind your place. If you guys got ideas... I welcome them. Time?
The Soccer field is nice, but its crazy crowded on Sundays. That's primarily when they have games. Do you know of any other secluded spots we can shoot erwin?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:47 PM
ctwentytwo

The Soccer field is nice, but its crazy crowded on Sundays. That's primarily when they have games. Do you know of any other secluded spots we can shoot erwin?
Hawaii Kai. There's places in Nanakuli. Roundtop where the park is maybe... I've been keeping my eyes peeled, but places where you don't get hassled is rare.

Perfect place is Kaena point, but it's far.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:18 AM
67ZNISMO

Hawaii Kai. There's places in Nanakuli. Roundtop where the park is maybe... I've been keeping my eyes peeled, but places where you don't get hassled is rare.

Perfect place is Kaena point, but it's far.
Kaena point sounds like a fun drive. I'm down if you and Jamie are...what time though?
Old 05-06-2008, 09:23 AM
dj.kickz

haha i'm down, what time are we talking about? I might have a dinner but other than that no plans for the day.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:11 PM
67ZNISMO

so what, Kaena point then? What time? lets meet somewhere before we roll out.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:19 PM
ctwentytwo

so what, Kaena point then? What time? lets meet somewhere before we roll out.
I just remembered a place on Fort Barrett in Ewa Beach, there's those abandoned warehouses that I went to once before. It may be a better place to snap pics as the space is better.

I'm thinking a meet up at 3PM at Waikele in front of Bank of Hawaii or on the side of the Leonards Malasada's stand. BTW dude, do you still want the lens? Let me know ASAP.

Quick Reply: FS: Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM