Notices
Pacific Alaska, Hawaii

Who's Got Recon? I've Got A Question :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:39 AM
whitecel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's Got Recon? I've Got A Question :)

Any of you have got recon? I was thinking about getting it. My question is, how did you pass the bounce test? At stock, I couldn't get my car go down and 1". Now that I have hotchkis (only 7% increase spring rate) springs, I still can't bounce it. How do you go about getting past this?

I failed with my wrx last year because I was running tein springs with sti struts. Those couldn't move at all. Idk how we are suppose to pass the bounce test when our cars stock can't even pass it.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:47 AM
OahuGrownZ

From what I've heard, the suspension inspection at Recon is really up to the interpretation of 1 inch of spring by the inspector. I've heard of guys who went in with coilovers, and damper set at super soft who fail, they go back later on with no change and another inspector passes them... I'd say chance it and try and go down and see what they say...
Old 07-07-2008, 12:27 PM
whitecel

Yea that's what I was thinking. Just keep going back if I fail. Last time I had the young guy and he was a real stiff. I heard if you get the old man, as long as you have all your paperwork ready to go, he doesn't care. Wish my bro-in-law would come with me since he knows the old man
Old 07-07-2008, 03:13 PM
67ZNISMO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think after recent events, we may have to invest in recon.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:27 PM
dj.kickz

could be worse, we might be able to get a nice inspector and pass stock but the NSX is too low to pass stock no matter what, haha.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:42 PM
SonicZ33

Why is a NSX "too low". Theres nothing about the actual height of the car. Only the head lights in which a NSX passes. License plate height doesn't matter either.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:46 PM
black06z

What struts do you have? I passed recon with Tein S.Tech and Tokico D-spec (on the softest setting). I got the young guy inspector too. What's weird, is that the license plate rule was thrown out a few weeks before I went, and the guy still measured the license plate.

Last edited by black06z; 07-07-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:31 PM
whitecel

For my 350z, I'm running the hotchkis springs and stock struts
Old 07-08-2008, 12:12 AM
black06z

I would just try it like you mentioned earlier, so you can know for sure if you have to spend more money to pass. The only problem is the 1 month wait for the next appointment.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:28 AM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

I failed recon for my Evo. So I said fukc it and never went back.

I lol'd at the inspector when he did the bounce test and the car didn't budge. I also failed the license plate test and headlight test.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:22 AM
dj.kickz

Originally Posted by SonicZ33
Why is a NSX "too low". Theres nothing about the actual height of the car. Only the head lights in which a NSX passes. License plate height doesn't matter either.
there was a thread on forums hawaii a while back about a stock NSX getting a recon ticket from a misinformed cop and then going to get recon and failing for being too low. forums hawaii is giving me nothing but database errors at the moment or i'd look it up and post a link.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:24 AM
whitecel

Originally Posted by black06z
I would just try it like you mentioned earlier, so you can know for sure if you have to spend more money to pass. The only problem is the 1 month wait for the next appointment.
1 month damn. I guess the state is trying to backup recon appointments so they can have more time to hand out recon tickets

Guess they need more $$$ to balance the budget and pay the piggies overtime
Old 07-09-2008, 09:10 AM
67ZNISMO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whitecel
1 month damn. I guess the state is trying to backup recon appointments so they can have more time to hand out recon tickets

Guess they need more $$$ to balance the budget and pay the piggies overtime
nah thats easy for them. All they gotta do is check out some local car forums, hit the spot with their entire traffic force, and see who can hand out the most tickets given the amount of cars....
Old 07-16-2008, 12:44 PM
whitecel

Well my appointment is set for friday. Pray that I pass.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:31 PM
OahuGrownZ

Just an oh btw, few things that make you fail automatically. If you have a stock front bumber w/ clear reflectors rather than the amber, you'll fail. Same with rear light, if you change the rear light assembly and it doesn't have a red reflector that reflects perpendicular to the vehicle, you'll fail. DOT requires amber in the front and red in the back, if you have an aftermarket body kit that does not have front amber reflectors, pick up some reflectors that you can double side tape on.

Also, any covering on your license plate is a fail, make sure you take those clear plastic covers off if you have them over your plates. Just some things that seem minor, but will be a hassle if you don't have when you go in.

*Edit: Old post from FH, but its good to see exactly what they'll be looking for...

http://www.state.hi.us/dot/highways/...024%201986.pdf

Last edited by OahuGrownZ; 07-16-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:39 PM
OahuGrownZ

FH is so awsome for finding out info, another repost from there, good info though...

Originally Posted by crj341
I've heard a lot of contradictory information from friends, etc, so I decided to go to the source and call the recon office. I talked to Kevin down at the recon office about what mods you can and cant do, and of those which ones require recon. I hope this will clear up the misinformation that you might have heard and help you plan your next or current project and not be dissappointed cuz you didn't pass.

Do I need to get recon for a turbo/supercharger?
No. Whether it comes as a kit or you put it together yourself, you can legally put a turbo/supercharger on your car and DO NOT have to get recon. However if you have to get recon for one of the reasons below, just make a note of the turbo/supercharger.

Are engine swaps legal, and do I need to get recon for it?
That depends. Yes engine swaps are legal, but that does not necessessarily mean you have to get recon. If the engine you are swapping in has the same number of cylinders as the one it is replacing, recon is NOT required. It doesn't matter if the engine you are swapping in is turbocharged. For instance, you want to swap a SR20DET into your 240sx. This does not require recon. However, if you want to swap a RB26DETT into your 240sx, you WILL need recon.

Can I put on rims bigger than 1.5" compared with stock?
Yes, but you will have to get recon. You can go as big as you want to, but the wheels have to be able to turn and not rub the fenders or wheel well when turned.

Do I have to get recon for my headers/exhaust/intake?
No. These are not recon items. And even if you did, any intake/exhaust will likely pass as long as the exhaust isn't too loud (they don't have any DB meters down there, they just listen to it). If your car is fitted with a catalytic converter, you will still need a cat, but you can use an aftermarket high flow type and still not need recon.

Can body kits/panels/hoods be installed?
Yes, and you don't need recon. One caveat here though, if your fiberglass/carbon fiber hood does not have provisions for windshield washer nozzels and you don't put them in, you would not pass safety, let alone recon.

Are coilovers/lowering springs legal?
That depends. Any time you have suspension work done to your car, you will have to get recon. You will need to have an alignment done within 30 days prior to your recon inspection. Make sure you bring a copy of the alignment sheet with you. Your suspension must be able to be aligned within stock specifications. Your car will also be subjected to a "bounce test" to check for adequate suspension travel. They typically test this at a front corner by pushing down on the bumper. You need to have VISIBLE (not necessarily 2 inches) of suspension travel. If your springs are too stiff, you will likely not pass.

Are headlight/tail light swaps/conversions legal?
Yes, as long as it says DOT on them. Simply doing a headlight/tail light swap does not require you to get recon. If you modify the donor headlight, then it is no longer DOT legal. Aftermarket HID's are also legal, though you may need recon for this. They have a light meter to make sure it's not too bright.

Are clear corner lights legal?
No. The lights MUST have an orange reflector at the front corners and corresponding red reflectors at the rear. This is a FEDERAL LAW. Simply putting in an orange bulb DOES NOT make it legal. Most of these aftermarket lights do not have DOT on them, and therefore would not pass anyway. If you modify a DOT corner light by taking the orange reflector out, it is NO LONGER DOT legal.

Can I run nitrous?
No, and it can't be made legal by going through recon. If you did have to get recon for suspension mods, and they happened to find a nitrous line or bottle, you will fail.

Can I change my car from front wheel drive to rear wheel drive?
Yes, but you will need to go through recon as this will require modification of the vehicle's suspension. If you did a hack job with the conversion and the inspector deems your car unsafe, then you won't pass.

If there's a version of the car with a different drivetrain, can I use it?
Yes. If the car came from the factory with the option of a manual or automatic transmission, you can swap one for the other without getting recon. You could also do a 4 wheel drive conversion on your 2 wheel drive truck if there was a 4 wheel drive version of your truck from the factory, provided the parts bolt in without requiring custom fabrication. If custom suspension mounts need to be made, or you use aftermarket suspension components, then you need recon.

Are intake manifolds/cams, pistons, etc legal?
Yes, and you don't need recon. There's no smog testing in Hawaii, so you don't need an affadavit showing that the part is 50 state legal. But be aware that if it says "off road use only" on any of the parts, and the inspector sees it, you will likely not pass recon even if you were trying to get it for something else.

Do I need an affadavit for all of my modifications?
No. Affadavits are no longer required.

Is there a headlight/liscense plate height requirement?
Yes. Headlights must be at least 22" off the ground to the center of the headlight housings. You must have a front liscense plate which must be at least 12" off the ground.

Do I have to get a recon inspection every year?
No. It's a one time only thing UNLESS you mod your car again. If you do, then you need to get another inspection. If you return your car to stock again, you no longer need the recon sticker.

If a cop pulls me over saying I need to get recon even though I don't have any recon items on my car, what happens?
If you got pulled over for a non recon item, you can contest the ticket in court and you will win. Kevin says many of the cops don't have a good handle on the recon law themselves. Keep in mind though, if you already have recon and do another mod to your car that requires recon, then you need to get another recon inspection. If the cop nails you on something you just installed, then you're SOL.

Hopefully this will clear up a lot of the BS that has been floating around. If anyone has any questions about a modification, it is in your best interest to call the recon office (733-2542) and speak to an inspector BEFORE you spend the time and money. As you can see, you can do a lot of mods to your car and not need recon. But if your mod requires it, make sure your mod will be able to pass by reading the thread.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:55 PM
bboypuertoroc

You should remove the one about the rims, since t's no longer a recon item. Also, the license plate/headlight reg has changed (can't remember the exacts on it).
Old 07-16-2008, 05:15 PM
OahuGrownZ

Dunno, one of my friends just got his truck recon'd for his rims. And just had my safety check done, the inspector was concerned about my rims being 19s until I showed him that 06 models came with 18" stocks.

Last I heard, rim sizes >1.5" still needs a recon, but damn if its changed, I woulda went for the Volks in 20s. As I said though, older post from FH, just thought it'd be helpful for people heading down to the recon station so they don't get hassled.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:04 PM
bboypuertoroc

Yeah, it just changed recently (like within a month or so). Only thing is they can't stick outside the fenders.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:46 PM
SonicZ33

Recon is no longer required for rims period. License plate no longer has a height requirement. The rims part just changed like a few weeks ago. License plate changed awhile ago.

Quick Reply: Who's Got Recon? I've Got A Question :)