Notices
Pacific Alaska, Hawaii

Moving to Oahu Hawaii Soon

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 09:23 AM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Originally Posted by GZire
^^^BTW the registration on your car in Hawaii isn't going to be $20 it'll be at least high $100 (I forget what it cost to register my G).
No it won't. He doesn't have to pay the weight tax since he's military. As long as he doesn't change his state of residency to HI he's good. He only needs to pay $25 (or something like that, can't remember).
Old 11-25-2008, 09:25 AM
bboypuertoroc

Originally Posted by nosurf2day
The blue sticker, I am guessing that is to delineate that it is an out of state car?

Does hawaii force you to pay yearly vehicle tax on your ride? This is the biggest reason why I wouldn't register it. In Florida you only have to pay for the yearly registration which is around $20 a year.

Thanks turborevdboy11.
Yup, the big blue sticker is for out-of-state tags. It's BIG. I got HI plates so I didn't have to put that monstrosity on my Evo.

No yearly tax, just registration (and weight for residents).
Old 11-25-2008, 09:44 AM
nosurf2day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to be on the lookout for that crazy blue sticker when I am there in march.

Dang so many rules. This sucks, I will have to be on my P's and Q's when I get there.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:47 AM
SILKZ03

Bro, I felt the same way. I was in Korea, had to ship my Z from Texas to HI. Like you, did research and found out too many rules and Recon? problems with saftey checks, WTF! Shipped the Z anyway modded and lowered. Hey, no matter where you go there is always somebody and ways to get around and things done!

Military you go to your Personnel office, get a tax exemption form, take it to the DMV with your current registration. I've got 3 other vehicles other than my Z here and use the exemption form for all three. Done deal $20-25 buck yearly renewed registion and plates. As far as front plates concerned, my car was shipped here Nov 2006, texas plates. In texas you need both front and rear. I still never did it there either. Got to HI, got HI plates but never put on the front plate or got a recon for that matter...yeah I got popped once in 3 years for not having front plates but that was because of a recon raid "July 6, wrote a letter, fine was reduced $60.00, but still I ride with no front plates...some of us are rollin longer without front plates or recon. I always play the "I didn't know role". Good luck bro..oh and sick Z!

Last edited by SILKZ03; 11-25-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:17 PM
67ZNISMO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^Uncle Joe knows best!! lol
Old 11-25-2008, 03:24 PM
GZire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
No it won't. He doesn't have to pay the weight tax since he's military. As long as he doesn't change his state of residency to HI he's good. He only needs to pay $25 (or something like that, can't remember).
That's interesting, I wasn't aware that even if he registered here he doesn't pay the full fee.

I'm just glad we don't pay the property tax like some guys do in the mainland.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:50 PM
bboypuertoroc

That's interesting, I wasn't aware that even if he registered here he doesn't pay the full fee.

I'm just glad we don't pay the property tax like some guys do in the mainland.
Yeah, like Joe said, there's a form for us military guys that gets us out of it as long as we're legal residents (home of record) of another state, regardless if the car is titled in HI or not.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:25 PM
nosurf2day

thats right, I completely forgot about that. I did that when I was in savannah GA. All I had to do was bring in my LES and show that my home of record was fl and I was good.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:56 PM
_STEVEO_01

Originally Posted by nosurf2day
thats right, I completely forgot about that. I did that when I was in savannah GA. All I had to do was bring in my LES and show that my home of record was fl and I was good.

Similiar process here as well. All registration/dmv matters here are handled at any "satellite city" offices throughout the island (only a few), which by the way guys... If you didn't know, the satellite city hall over at Windward Mall in Kaneohe is closed... Dependant on which Branch of service you are in, all you have to do is take your current registration and LES to the base pass house and get what is called a "Non-Residency Form". They will fill it out for you, stamp/notarize it, and you sign. Take that with you to the satellite city office so they don't charge you an arm and a leg for registration fees. If you need help or have any questions, pm me and I wil be happy to assist. Everyone who has chimed in has given you some good advice. Take it easy

Last edited by _STEVEO_01; 11-25-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Junior_PR

http://www.forumshawaii.net/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=241

check out this forums for recon and for anything else about hawaii. there is good info for recon and ppl lil problems or solutions.

www.forumshawaii.net

same website, but here you gonna see alot of titles from things to do in hawaii, to use parts for 350z/g35. hope this help! hit me up if need anything! shooots!
Old 02-06-2009, 03:36 AM
nosurf2day

Got my dates on when I will be moving there. It is a little longer away than I had anticipated. I will be moving there in march of next year.

I am going to be traveling to oahu 6-14 march of this year for vacation and house hunting.

I will stay in touch, if you guys have a meet or something while I am there I would like to come and hang out if that is okay.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:44 AM
GZire

^^^You are actually coming down here at a good time for house hunting. Market price is as low as it's been in years and availability is greater than it's been for awhile.

Don't get a heart attack when you see the prices though.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Maverick07

^^^BTW the registration on your car in Hawaii isn't going to be $20 it'll be at least high $100 (I forget what it cost to register my G).

Naa not true, I m military man and its only like 20 bucks make sure to get the paper from ur S-1 shop though, they will know what u need. I m leaving Hawaii for Colorado in August, my car had a lot of issues with police and I had a lot more cause I m white and military, be careful on H-2 near Schofield they look for military. The roads are rough, u need to take it slow on some, and H-3 is the best place to let her rip!

Oahu Z has some of the best guys and really great cars, you'll love it

Shoots
Old 02-06-2009, 10:52 AM
nosurf2day

^^^You are actually coming down here at a good time for house hunting. Market price is as low as it's been in years and availability is greater than it's been for awhile.

Don't get a heart attack when you see the prices though.
Yeah, I have been looking, anything decent from what I have seen is $400K and up. If I was to price my house that I am living in now, it would be well into the $500, the ones that I have see that are 3 bed 3 bath are all $400 and up and are around 1100 square feet, that is tiny. I really hope I can find something nice to buy. I really am tired of renting. Does anyone have any suggestions of a nice place to look. I am in the Army so I am not sure which place I will be stationed at. I am a white guy, my wife is Filipino/Puerto Rican so there is a little ethnicity in the family.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:00 AM
bboypuertoroc

If you can deal with traffic, I'd say buy down in Ewa Beach. You can get something nice between $400-500. My wife and I are planning on buying down here soon (whenever I find out if I'm staying here another 3 years or not).
Old 02-06-2009, 11:14 AM
iamdigital

Just came from Oahu. Some beautiful drives especially up to Lani Kai beach OMG that mountain drive is amazing. I rented a corvette from Hertz and had a blast driving around the island for meetings and stuff.

WTF is up with low speed limit everywhere though. It seems everything is 10MPH slower than on mainland...
Old 02-06-2009, 11:20 AM
bboypuertoroc

EVERYTHING moves slower out here. It's just the atmosphere... laid back.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:11 PM
GZire

Originally Posted by Maverick07
Naa not true, I m military man and its only like 20 bucks make sure to get the paper from ur S-1 shop though, they will know what u need. I m leaving Hawaii for Colorado in August, my car had a lot of issues with police and I had a lot more cause I m white and military, be careful on H-2 near Schofield they look for military. The roads are rough, u need to take it slow on some, and H-3 is the best place to let her rip!

Oahu Z has some of the best guys and really great cars, you'll love it

Shoots
......post# 26
Old 02-06-2009, 01:13 PM
GZire

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
If you can deal with traffic, I'd say buy down in Ewa Beach. You can get something nice between $400-500. My wife and I are planning on buying down here soon (whenever I find out if I'm staying here another 3 years or not).
Yeah, it seems like the only somewhat reasonable new houses will be out in Ewa Beach. At least the timing is better with the North/South Road being worked on as well as the widening of Ewa's main artery.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:42 AM
punish_her

I moved from Satellite Beach Fl to Oahu and loved it. Definately stick with the Oahu Z guys. You cant get a better goup of folks. I definately miss them as well as the island now that im in Nebraska.

Quick Reply: Moving to Oahu Hawaii Soon