Notices
Pacific Alaska, Hawaii

Moving to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 08:48 PM
lord's lady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nosurf2day
How is Kapolie or makakilo city? Looking at that area too.

kapolei and makakilo are nice, but if you're going to be going to schofield everyday, you might want to try mililani...it's like five miles from schofield and wheeler...it's a little more money than kapolei and makakilo, but kapolei and makakilo are about twenty miles (ish) from post and morning traffic from there sucks and it's really dry and hot out on that side...
Old 06-11-2009, 09:08 PM
nosurf2day

when you say a little more expensive, what are we talking. were looking in the $400K area for houses. What is crazy is, that amount of money here in Orlando would get you a gorgeous house around 2500 square feet. From what I am seeing in hawaii, that will get you around 1300 square feet. That sucks. Is there alot of military in the area where you recommended?
Old 06-11-2009, 09:12 PM
dj.kickz

unfortunetly 400k won't do a lot in hawaii. There's a reason most of us local boys live at home as long as possible where in the mainland it would be pretty sad living at home that old, here it's pretty much the only option.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:29 PM
nosurf2day

yeah, i am seeing, its really disappointing, my intent is to buy a house that we can rent out and come back to when I finish up with the military in the next 10 yrs. My wife wants to be close to her family and I want to be close to the north shore. I couldnt think of being in a better place with those amazing waves.

I think we will probably buy when I get back from the desert and put away money in the mean time. I am not going to buy a house just to buy a house. We want something that will be worth what were spending.

So what are the prices for where you recommended? And whats the deal with that road that supposedly goes through some pass to get you to schoelfield?
Old 06-11-2009, 10:11 PM
dj.kickz

if you want to be closer to the north shore then mililani is probably the best choice as it is as close as you can be to the north shore and still being reasonably close to town.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:11 AM
unkn0wn ryder

traffic wont be a prob if you're on a bike.... mwahahahaha!!!
Old 06-12-2009, 11:07 PM
SILKZ03

Originally Posted by dj.kickz
if you want to be closer to the north shore then mililani is probably the best choice as it is as close as you can be to the north shore and still being reasonably close to town.
I second! nice area, houses, right next to H2, schofield, wheeler....north shore.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:13 PM
lord's lady

yeah, i am seeing, its really disappointing, my intent is to buy a house that we can rent out and come back to when I finish up with the military in the next 10 yrs. My wife wants to be close to her family and I want to be close to the north shore. I couldnt think of being in a better place with those amazing waves.

I think we will probably buy when I get back from the desert and put away money in the mean time. I am not going to buy a house just to buy a house. We want something that will be worth what were spending.

So what are the prices for where you recommended? And whats the deal with that road that supposedly goes through some pass to get you to schoelfield?

yeah, if you're looking to only spend $400 you're not going to get a whole lot...the house we rent is 850 sqft with two bedrooms and two baths and a garage and it's appraised to sell for $560...$400 might get you a townhouse...if you have time to be here and be renting while you look around, it might be best...you might change your mind a couple times where you want to plant roots...depends really on how far out you want to be from work, because traffic can get ridiculous...you'll see. there're two different sections of mililani...town and mauka...i know the smaller houses start in the $500s in mauka...town should be cheaper but the houses are older...like i said, you just really need time to look around and decide where you want to be and what you want to be in...but aside from that, i still think you'd be better off to rent first in mililani...it's a pretty self-sufficient area, central to everything, and the trades hit just right so it's not as stifling as makakilo and kapolei...as for the road you're asking about? i think you're thinking of kunia road which runs from schofield barracks to ewa...one of the worst roads for accidents and notorious for being closed in the mornings and afternoons for car and motorcycle wrecks...
Old 06-12-2009, 11:57 PM
nosurf2day

dang.........not very promising news. With prices that high, how the hell does anyone afford to buy a house. The mortgage on a house that much is somewhere in the neighborhood of 3K, not many people make that kind of money and still have enough to pay for anything else.

I guess were going to have to look at rentals. That really sucks, I am now in my middle to late 30's and have never owned a house. I was really hoping to be able to stop renting. I guess that is not going to happen any time soon.

As far as the road, yeah i think that is it i just dont know the name. I heard of the road and saw it on map quest but didnt know the name. That's crazy that it has so many wrecks.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:00 AM
dj.kickz

dang.........not very promising news. With prices that high, how the hell does anyone afford to buy a house. The mortgage on a house that much is somewhere in the neighborhood of 3K, not many people make that kind of money and still have enough to pay for anything else.

I guess were going to have to look at rentals. That really sucks, I am now in my middle to late 30's and have never owned a house. I was really hoping to be able to stop renting. I guess that is not going to happen any time soon.

As far as the road, yeah i think that is it i just dont know the name. I heard of the road and saw it on map quest but didnt know the name. That's crazy that it has so many wrecks.
typically takes 2 people working to be able to afford a place. Also most people start off with a cheaper condo. I almost bought a townhouse in Aiea a couple years ago. I could afford the mortgage but then wouldnt have been able to afford a parking space in downtown (300 bucks a month typically) so I was just gonna rent it out (at a loss) and keep living at home. Decided it wasn't worth the headache.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:10 AM
nosurf2day

wait, so if you live down town you have to pay for parking, your not exempt, that was something that pissed me off when I stayed in waikiki, $20 a day2 a. And that is if you have only 1 car, which I dont, I have 2 and a bike.

That is crazy, so basically, you can just add that to the cost of a mortgage.

Why am I wanting to retire in hawaii again? Ohh yeah because I love my wife and her family. Yeah, Yeah thats it.....I'll just keep telling my self that.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:14 AM
dj.kickz

haha its expensive but i like to think its worth the cost to be here.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:37 AM
unkn0wn ryder

lol hawaii will always be expensive no matter what.... its just a price to pay to live on the islands... but its a price that we pay... specially to those that call hawaii home
Old 06-15-2009, 06:15 AM
phenoms350z

hey unknown thanks for the info on that. ill be sure to do that after my last time. when i shipped my z up to fairbanks ,ak. but it is offical ill be over in hawaii on jan 8th so hopefully ill be able to hook up with some of you when i get there. and hopefully my car will already be there
Old 06-15-2009, 08:07 AM
unkn0wn ryder

Originally Posted by phenoms350z
hey unknown thanks for the info on that. ill be sure to do that after my last time. when i shipped my z up to fairbanks ,ak. but it is offical ill be over in hawaii on jan 8th so hopefully ill be able to hook up with some of you when i get there. and hopefully my car will already be there

no prob... lol... i'll be right be hind you... moving back home to hawaii in april 2010.... report date is in may... lmfao
Old 06-15-2009, 08:34 AM
nosurf2day

I will be there feb 13 2010,

When you guys had your cars shipped, did you have to ask your car to be containerized or is that standard? I wont have my body kit on it and being exposed to the elements worries me. When it get to HI do they keep it outside or inside?
Old 06-15-2009, 08:43 AM
lord's lady

I will be there feb 13 2010,

When you guys had your cars shipped, did you have to ask your car to be containerized or is that standard? I wont have my body kit on it and being exposed to the elements worries me. When it get to HI do they keep it outside or inside?
depends on which company you go through i think. i shipped my blazer with matson, and they didn't containerize it. i didn't think it would be a problem. but a white blazer on a ship in the open for three and a half weeks is not a good thing, and if i ship any cars back to the mainland they'll be in containers. aside from the scratches and dings the blazer took, it was covered in big orange rust stains that never completely came off...
Old 06-15-2009, 08:46 AM
nosurf2day

Originally Posted by lord's lady
depends on which company you go through i think. i shipped my blazer with matson, and they didn't containerize it. i didn't think it would be a problem. but a white blazer on a ship in the open for three and a half weeks is not a good thing, and if i ship any cars back to the mainland they'll be in containers. aside from the scratches and dings the blazer took, it was covered in big orange rust stains that never completely came off...
WOW, holly shizer! I will be sure to ensure that both our cars are containerized, their is no way I want rust scratches and dings on the car.

Did they pay to have it fixed?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:50 AM
350Eazy

Yeah, they pay to have it fixed, but no where near what it cost to actually have it fixed. I had just pulled my Z out of the paint and body shop a week prior to it being put on the boat. Take lots of pics of your car before you put it on the boat, and have them with you when you pick it up. My Z was stock height with a body kit, no damage when it shipped, and when I picked it up, there were scrape marks on the bottom of the bumpers and cracked fiberglass. They only gave me 700 bucks for the whole thing. So detail everything, and I mean everything, if you even want to have a chance of getting your money back. Just my $.02
Old 06-15-2009, 02:14 PM
phenoms350z

so do i have a choice when i ship it or does it just depend on the company. cuz i would rather have it in a container if thats the case. but who knows what the army will do.

Quick Reply: Moving to Hawaii