Notices
Pacific Alaska, Hawaii

Moving to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 07:27 PM
lord's lady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phenoms350z
so do i have a choice when i ship it or does it just depend on the company. cuz i would rather have it in a container if thats the case. but who knows what the army will do.
i'm actually wondering the same thing for when we pcs to the mainland...i know the army ships the vehicles, but i doubt highly they spring for a container...i wonder if you can pay to get the container for a cheaper price or whatever...anybody know? we're gonna' wind up going through it within the next year i'm sure...
Old 06-15-2009, 07:37 PM
nosurf2day

There is no way in hell I will ship my car without a container. I may think of shipping my wifes car but not mine. And I am really reluctant about shipping hers. But I will do as you say, LOTS AND LOTS OF PICS.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:12 PM
unkn0wn ryder

i don think the army pays for your car to be shipped in a container... but then again my car was clean when i got her back when they shipped her from hawaii to tx...

oh btw you can get your money back if they damage your car.... what happens is when you go to pick up your car from the port they'll do an estimate of the damages and try to give you some off the wall cheap price like $500... thats when you they give you the option of taking the cash they're offering you or go and get estimates from body shops...

needless to say i got estimates from other shops and i got 3k out of all the damages from my Z
Old 06-15-2009, 10:23 PM
350ZNISMO673

I just picked my Z up last week. Had a couple of scratches under the lip spoiler and a couple of rock chips on the bumper. I had it shipped through Matson since they can pay up to like $8k for damage. I took it to their appraiser and they estimated about $1700 in damage. Still waiting on my check from Matson. To me, it wasn't a big deal since the scratch is under the lip spoiler which I had already scraped the other side and a couple rock chips aren't too bad. I can always pay my deductable to get the bumper repainted if it gets damaged more. Just make sure you document the car really well before you ship.

As far as containers, when I took my other vehicle to the VPC in LA, they didn't have much good to say about containers. They said that the cars are like sardines in there and barely have any room to open doors. They talked about some folks who walk or crawl over cars to get to the cars. I know Matson uses car racks for vehicles and the vehicle is stowed below decks and not exposed to the elements. When I picked her up in Honolulu, they made sure she was away from other cars and right in front for me. When I ship back to Mainland I plan to go through Matson again. Just my two cents.

BTW, the MIL shipped my other vehicle through Matson.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:04 AM
phenoms350z

Thanks guys thats alot of good info. Yea when i shipped mine from vancouver, WA to fairbanks, ak. the car was brand new and when i went to pick it up the inside of the car had mud all over it. needless to say but im def takin pitures this time when i ship it.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:01 AM
nosurf2day

Question, I just heard from someone that when you buy a house in HI, you dont actually buy it. You lease it for 99 years? Is this true?

What happens after the 99 years?
Old 07-18-2009, 12:06 PM
SonicZ33

Where on earth did you hear that from? youre maybe thinking of the hawaiian homelands stuff
Old 07-18-2009, 12:11 PM
SonicZ33

Yeah I think the hawaiian homelands thing is like 99 year lease at like a 100 a month or something rediculous like that. After 99 years they give your family living there the boot. But that only applies to people with like 50% hawaiian blood and on top of that the waiting list is crazy. And I think they give crap land that needs to be developed alot so you spend your life developing it for the state.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:39 PM
dsmal

lol. great sum up of home lands there. . .
Old 07-18-2009, 01:25 PM
nosurf2day

my neighbor told me what I stated before. he said that he was talking to a cab driver when he was there and that is what the guy told him. He wasnt very knowlegable on the subject. That is what prompted me to ask you guys.

so this homeland stuff, that is only for a specific area is what I am understanding your saying? That the majority of where homes exist do not lie under this policy?
Old 07-18-2009, 05:27 PM
dj.kickz

watch out when buying a home in hawaii. They can be either Fee Simple or Leasehold. Fee Simple is just like buying land in the mainland, you own the house and the land. Leasehold is what you are talking about and it doesn't only apply to Hawaiian Home Lands (I think those rules are different). Leasehold means you are buying the improvements to the land but not the land itself. Leasehold leases are usually long term (such as 99 years or longer) but since most of them started a while ago many are down to 50 years or less. Leasehold properties are much cheaper because you are not buying the land but you will have a lease payment every month to the owner of the land. Also there will usually be a renegotiation time written into the lease where your lease payment will be adjusted to the going rate for the land (which almost always means it will go up a lot). When the lease runs out on your land all improvements on it (aka your house) revert back to the owner of the land. Often (but not always) the land owner will be willing to sell you the land at the going rate (which is often quite expensive) 10-15 years before your lease expires.
The other problem with leasehold properties is some people get in cheap (thinking that they will get a good starter house or something) and plan to sell before the lease runs out, but as the lease gets closer and closer to expiring the value of your improvements (aka your house) goes down since they will soon be reverting back to the land owner. Also if you have less then 30 years left on your lease you may not be able to sell the house at all because most mortgage companies will not to a 30 year mortgage on property that you will not own for the next 30 years.
Long story short, stay away from leasehold. Generally the only people its a good idea for are old people with no children who aren't worried about not having anything to leave to their heirs. It's much cheaper but it's really a bad idea.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:28 PM
dj.kickz

note all this information comes from 4 years of working in the hawaii real estate industry.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:09 AM
SILKZ03

Originally Posted by dj.kickz
note all this information comes from 4 years of working in the hawaii real estate industry.
Dayum! good info. Wow, didn't know all that. might wanna holla atcha, if and when I may decide to buy. Thanks
Old 07-19-2009, 01:41 AM
jace350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-19-2009, 04:28 AM
nosurf2day

That is some valuable information. If you had not explained this, I would not have known and walked blind into something. At least now I have a tad more info to arm myself with when brokering a deal for a home. I prefer not to suffer from buyers remorse after such an expensive home purchase.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:41 AM
dj.kickz

don't worry guys its not like you can accidentally buy a leasehold home not knowing what it is. first of all 99% of all leasehold properties are apartment buildings and second of all there's so much extra paperwork there's no way your real estate agent could not explain that too you.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:16 AM
sepster

we are getting ready to pcs to hawaii coming from sc...was Matson good? How does it work with payment? Did you pay upfront or when u got to hawaii...we are trying to find a good shipping company...and do a dity move..please let me know...thanks!
Old 07-29-2009, 03:17 AM
Chuck D

when i PCSed 2 years ago to Hawaii the mil shipped it through Matson at least the end portion. being that Matson is the largest shipper here in Hawaii. they either bid lowest for the contract or it just easier because they are the largest for the military to get there cars here.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:26 AM
nosurf2day

I was givien Pasha Hawaii, there is a vehicle drop off in Charleston I believe.

https://www.pashahawaii.com/POVBooking/Step4.aspx

The charge for me to ship my car from Va or orlando to HI was going to be 2200.

I am opting to have a company ship my car via enclosed flatbed car carrier. Because pasha wanted to ship my car on a normal car carrier. NOT GONNA HAPPEN. I made some calls and It is going to cost me 1100 to go from VA to San Diego. They are going to use one of those exotic car transport carriers. Extreme car is going to be taken.

Then 1075 from San Diego to Oahu with Pasha. What is Matson wanting to charge.

Last edited by nosurf2day; 07-29-2009 at 04:33 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:11 AM
GZire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^Not sure what Matson charges, but I'd have to say IMHO that your car would be more secure with Pasha once it hits the docks. We have storage area in a Pasha controlled area on the west side of Oahu and it's a pain in the *** to get in there.

Quick Reply: Moving to Hawaii