Notices
Photography Techniques, Cameras, Lenses, & Equipment

*** The Official Digital Photography 101 Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 08:20 AM
gr?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z Phil
This is exactly what I was referring to. In this case, photoshop is definitely "not" the equivalent to a dark room. I can't comment on the other poster and his referrence to mandatory post-processing because if shooting in RAW.
One could argue that graphic programs make digital superior to film. There are things that can be done that film could never do. In the post of mine above with the Viper wheel shot, I had power lines on the fender so no matter how I was positioned or where the vehicle was parked, the power lines would be in the reflection. Photoshop removed them all.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:30 AM
bverschage

very good info, thanks
Old 11-26-2006, 06:01 AM
Sea Bass

Originally Posted by gr?
One could argue that graphic programs make digital superior to film. There are things that can be done that film could never do. In the post of mine above with the Viper wheel shot, I had power lines on the fender so no matter how I was positioned or where the vehicle was parked, the power lines would be in the reflection. Photoshop removed them all.
I understand that, but this is where I don't like such programs. Adding/removing/touching up a photo post-processing takes away from the art, the skill, of photography. Power lines on the fender? Move the car!

On one hand, I think those programs are great because a new enthusiast can use them to produce great results, but on the other hand it can become increasingly difficult (nut not impossible) to tell the difference between true artistry and a hack with a laptop who is trying to pass off the work as untouched.

I've got some photos I took in the Fansipan mountain region of Vietnam a few years back with a killer non-digital camera, and I am so proud of how those photos (admittedly, a few out of 1000s!) turned out. It took a lot of work, and some good luck, but that's what makes it all worthwhile.

My 0.02
Old 11-26-2006, 07:03 AM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

here's my $0.02

people that love their film cameras please stop with their higher than thou attitudes.. seems like any photography forum i go to there are these film photographers that feel they are so above everyone else because they shoot with film and don't use photoshop...

please keep it to yourself, we've all heard it a MILLION times.. if some people like to do post processing then it's their own progative.. you are not above anyone else because you don't choose to do post processing. It's just a different way of photography... and yes, i do believe it our hobby is still considered "photography" whether you post process or not.

--mike
Old 11-26-2006, 09:37 AM
vantage350z

I believe the of phtoshop and such post processing programs is an art as well. If you have the skills to improve a photo then why not? I use photoshop every day just to create artwork, mostly photo manipulations and restorations. When someone brings me and old torn and weathered photo and i restore if for them, that brings me great satisfaction.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:35 PM
MR_X

When I posted this, I didn't spected it do be a film/digital photo argument.

Added some info on photo filter to the OP.

Last edited by MR_X; 11-26-2006 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Sea Bass

Originally Posted by leemik
here's my $0.02

people that love their film cameras please stop with their higher than thou attitudes.. seems like any photography forum i go to there are these film photographers that feel they are so above everyone else because they shoot with film and don't use photoshop...

please keep it to yourself, we've all heard it a MILLION times.. if some people like to do post processing then it's their own progative.. you are not above anyone else because you don't choose to do post processing. It's just a different way of photography... and yes, i do believe it our hobby is still considered "photography" whether you post process or not.

--mike
First off, my apologies to the OP for jacking the thread, it wasn't my intention.

Nor was it my intention to get into a debate of "What's right" vs. "what's wrong" in photography, because that's purely subjective. I clearly stated *I* just don't like PS'ing photos *because to me* it can make an average photographer seem much better than he/she actually is. I also stated that I respect PS for a lot of the cool things it can do as well. And I never once criticized the use of digital cameras.

I don't think I came across as "holier than thou" in any of my posts, but it appears you above decided to take it that way. Whatever problem you've had with other posters giving you attitude, that's for you and them to hammer out. As for me, I'll post my opinion as much as I like, thank you very much, especially considering I wasn't being disrespectful in the least.

Anyhow, I'll stop cluttering up this thread with this tangential discussion. PM me if you want to continue with this further.

And to the OP, if I hadn't already done so, those tips really are fantastic.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:12 PM
gr?

One could argue the big, red bolded lettering might give us a little hint as to your stance on the issue. Photoshop can't make a crappy photo good. /thread
Old 11-28-2006, 10:29 PM
vince1611

---

Last edited by vince1611; 04-08-2022 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:49 PM
Pinnacle-Z

Very impressive !!
Old 12-22-2006, 08:41 PM
vince1611

---

Last edited by vince1611; 04-08-2022 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:08 PM
bisdakr

can someone explain those functions on a dig cam. like the S, M and all that. I have a sony F717 its got manual focus, is there a website the explains what aperature is and all that? I really want to learn more on how to take great pictures. I know how to take a picture and blur the backround which makes the picture looks nice but that's about it. taking pictures with the flash on at night comes out really ugly.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:55 AM
ctwentytwo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bisdakr
can someone explain those functions on a dig cam. like the S, M and all that. I have a sony F717 its got manual focus, is there a website the explains what aperature is and all that? I really want to learn more on how to take great pictures. I know how to take a picture and blur the backround which makes the picture looks nice but that's about it. taking pictures with the flash on at night comes out really ugly.
S is Shutter (time), A is Aperture (diagphragm size), and M is full Manual.

Find your instructions for your camera and read that. Google "how to photography" or "photography techniques," as that's what I did. There's some good write ups on the net. Or better yet, head down to the bookstore and buy a "how to" photography book.

Or best yet, read the first post on this thread to learn to take great pictures.

If you want to not use flash at night, use a tripod and set your camera to "S." This sets your shutter speed. Choose a shutter speed of 1/4 or more. You can try up to 30 second shutter speed, also known as a 30 sec. exposure. Really depends on ambient light (environmental light). Try parking under a street lamp or such, and set your white balance to "tungsten" if your camera allows.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:15 PM
bisdakr

cool, thanks for reply.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:46 AM
ctwentytwo

Default Wide Angle VS Normal VS Telephoto (focal length) + Tons of Pics

I know alot has gotten DSLRs lately, like I have. There's always questions for the begginer like aperture and shutter speed settings.

But I think an overlooked aspect of photography, especially car photography is focal length. So for you beginners... from a beginner, here's what I found out and read about.

Go wide angle when you want to get more of the background (push background out) in the picture; and go normal or telephoto if you want less background (pull background toward you) as illustrated in these two pics of the Waipahu Sugar Mill:

It came as a surprise to me when I saw these shots on the computer later in the day.

Also remember when you go wide angle, although it lets you take shots closer to the car, it'll produce distortions; while using normal/telephoto will flatten out the car like in these pics of my friends' BMW (with Hamann body kit) and my Z near the Waialua Sugar Mill:

17mm focal length on a cropped sensor DSLR (Canon XTi) producing distortion

70mm producing a flattened image.

18mm with distortion again.

50mm looking flattened.

The distortions come from being closer to the car, and not the actual focal length of the camera. Stand far enough from the car with a short focal length lens and the distortions disappear, although wide-angle focal lengths do produce bowing distortions that are common when shot at those lengths.

Some wide angle beach shots:

Landscape shot of the beach from Iroquois point. This place has a magnificent view of diamond head (yeah, you can see it in the background) many on the island have not have the pleasure of seeing due to the military housing around the area blocking access. While the water may look good to swim in, it's not, as the there's all kinds of corroded pipes and metal material in there due to military abuse

Shot at 41mm... my cousins 240 (used to be mine). He did the mods, including an SR20DET.

Some night long exposure shots at 50mm.

I love how 50mm+ makes the car look.

These were shot of course, at 50mm at Makaha Beach early in the morning.

A view of Waianae/Maile from up high.

A picture of the mountains in Waianae. Those signs messed up the gorgeous view.

Tested out the Sigma 17-70mm in the following.

62mm

No post processing on this pic.

70mm long exposure

70mm long exposure turned black and white w/ crop.

70mm with too many stars.

17mm view of the carbon fiber Hamann rear diffuser.

Another B/W study.

Here's some other shots I tried today with the Sigma lens.

Last edited by ctwentytwo; 01-10-2007 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:40 AM
Vertex350

You got skills man. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:22 AM
ahero4eternity
Vendor - Former Vendor

very cool. thumbs up!
Old 01-10-2007, 04:19 AM
ipcheck

NICE PICS, must be nice to live on that side of the world.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:24 AM
savvy

Looks awesome
Old 01-10-2007, 05:59 AM
THE TECH

Nice pics as usual. Thanks for the tips!

Quick Reply: *** The Official Digital Photography 101 Thread ***