Notices
Photography Techniques, Cameras, Lenses, & Equipment

Canon 40D or Nikon D300

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 02:38 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going through the decision myself (albeit I won't be buying until mid-late summer). I have decided to go with the D300. I only have Minolta lenses so I wasn't partial to either of the two brands in question anyway.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:49 PM
breakyoselfvq35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usmanasif
I am going through the decision myself (albeit I won't be buying until mid-late summer). I have decided to go with the D300. I only have Minolta lenses so I wasn't partial to either of the two brands in question anyway.
well woop de do!!! no, im just kidding . Ive chosen the 40D, so you in canon territory. Hope you enjoy your camera, interesting to see some nikon D300 threads on here.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:27 PM
bhendjol
achoooooo

Originally Posted by usmanasif
what kind of lenses? Maybe Im interested.

Edit: Im sooooo upgrading, either D300 or alpha 700.

Last edited by bhendjol; 11-27-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:03 PM
gr?

Originally Posted by DMK
Isn't it a good kit zoom lens though?
For a kit lens it's decent but I usually suggest buying the body only and purchasing a separate lens that's a better dollar value.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:11 PM
breakyoselfvq35

ya, but a good lens is expensive as shiza! 1300 for the Canon 24-105 mm EF f/4L IS USM Lens. That is a good lense... but realy f-in expensive.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:17 PM
usmanasif

Originally Posted by bhendjol
what kind of lenses? Maybe Im interested.
I will be keeping my Minolta; it was a gift from my dad when I started college 10 years ago. Must have put well over 500 rolls of film through it over the years and it still looks and works like it did back then.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:18 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

I own both Canon (1ds mark II, Mark III) and Nikon (D2Xs) and I would recommend you to go with Canon for 2 main reasons:

1. More lens selection at larger aperture.
2. High resell value and the market for Canon user is much bigger.

Both 40D and D300 are all excellent in features. 40D is $500 cheaper. That would give you some room for some nice lens.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Originally Posted by breakyoselfvq35
ya, but a good lens is expensive as shiza! 1300 for the Canon 24-105 mm EF f/4L IS USM Lens. That is a good lense... but realy f-in expensive.
nah, if you know where to buy then it is cheaper. $957 range. Good thing with "L" lens is resell value. You can basic use it for a year or two then sell it back for 80 to 90% of the current retail price.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:38 PM
breakyoselfvq35

Originally Posted by Bubble
nah, if you know where to buy then it is cheaper. $957 range. Good thing with "L" lens is resell value. You can basic use it for a year or two then sell it back for 80 to 90% of the current retail price.
I dont think i care about resale value honestly. Money isn't everything. Who the hell goes into a hobby and expects to have some kind of money return?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:41 PM
SergEK

I learned years ago on a Nikon D1 (2001) and back then it was a 5-6 MP cam that was about 5K retail

I shot with Canons over the years as well (20D, Rebels etc..)

I enjoyed both but the Canons won me over in many of the environments I was shooting in....could have just been a mental thing

I am looking to build my own gear bag from scratch and will most likely go with a 40D....I almost bought a 30D a while back but sooo glad I waited for the 40D

At 10MP and 6+ FPS its more than most people even need and for 12-1400 brand new its a great value IMO

I believe the D1 was a titanium body and was pretty heavy compared to this 40D...but it doesnt feel delicate like some other cams I have held

Features (From Canon)

Superb image quality: 10.1 Megapixel CMOS Sensor, extensive noise reduction technology, and 14-bit conversion for outstanding color tones and gradations.

Outstanding performance: 6.5 fps, burst rate up to 75 consecutive JPEGs or 17 RAW images and DIGIC III Image Processor.

Strong, rugged build quality: magnesium-alloy exterior, shutter durability-tested to 100,000 cycles, top speed 1/8000, top x-sync speed 1/250.

New AF system with 9 cross-type sensors, and world's first diagonal high-precision cross-type AF at center point with f/2.8 and faster lenses.

EOS Integrated Cleaning System, Picture Style settings, Spot metering, and Highlight Tone Priority for advanced in-camera image control.

Large 3.0-inch LCD monitor and advanced Live View Function with new options for reduced shutter time lag and quiet operation.

Wide range of accessories, including interchangeable focusing screens, extensive remote control options, new battery grip BG-E2N, and new dedicated wireless file transmitter WFT-E3A.

I think both cams are great but thinking back at the impressive shots I took with the D1 years ago its amazing to read the features list on a $1200 camera in todays market

Maybe its just me....
Old 11-27-2007, 08:46 PM
breakyoselfvq35

lol! serg, i thought its funny to find someone with an 06' black track...
ok
im done
goodluck with your bag build. Have you accualy purchased the 40D yet? Most of those who have researched the camera have already been overwhelmed by all the features of the new canon. Post some pics ASAP if you have.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:48 PM
SergEK

I dont think i care about resale value honestly. Money isn't everything. Who the hell goes into a hobby and expects to have some kind of money return?
Some hobbyists also become professionals some day and minimizing your cash outlay allows you to step up to that next level that much faster

They are steps....as you progress in skills you outgrow your equipment...stepping up to your next body/lens package is easier when you can sell your old gear for 80-90% of what you paid for it

When your young a 5-10K cam with 1500-2000 lens seems like a huge mountain....then one day you look in your bag and their may be 20K worth of gear sitting in it

Getting to that point is easier when you have to take less of a hit on your gear

Not purchased yet...its defenitely my next purchase...narrowing lens choices and a few other supporting costs......starting a small photography venture so also buying software yada yada yada...but I will post shots as soon as I have a cam in my hand

Last edited by SergEK; 11-27-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:44 PM
gr?

There are several moderately priced lenses worth looking at, already mentioned several times in this thread. Tamron 17 50 2.8, Canon 17 40 4.0L, both will cost ~ $400-500. When compared to some of the more expensive lenses (ie Canon 16 35 2.8L or Canon 24 70 2.8L), the Tamron isn't going to be as sharp, AF mechanism won't be as fast/accurate/quiet, you won't get weather sealing but the lens costs 3 times as less and pretty damn good for the money. At web resolutions, most won't notice any differences between the lenses.

Originally Posted by SergEK
Some hobbyists also become professionals some day and minimizing your cash outlay allows you to step up to that next level that much faster

They are steps....as you progress in skills you outgrow your equipment...stepping up to your next body/lens package is easier when you can sell your old gear for 80-90% of what you paid for it
^ ditto that. I started doing automotive photography about 9 years ago to kill time at the track. It started out as a hobby and has moved on to a hobby that brings in some extra cash. I started out with oVerboost.com in the late 90s/early 00s when they were popular, then I expanded to Modified Mag, Downshift Magazine, and several online e-zines in addition to doing my own thing. In addition to the automotive photography, I've done weddings, been hired by parents to shoot sporting events of their kids, and also pictures of babies. Even if I wasn't making money off it, I'd still put a lot of my time and money into photography.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:43 AM
VandyZ

Just FYI, I have seen several private non paid review sites rank the Tamron 17-50 2.8 with better image quality and sharpness than a few of canon's L series lenses. Now this is just a great lens by tamron, not all there stuff is that great. Their stuff certainly is sub L level on build and overall quality, and thats what you have to make your decision on.

Always buy the best glass you can afford. In the case of the tamron, I would buy it over the L especially if you are getting started. It seems to hold its value, has a good warranty, and is very reasonably priced (even has a rebate right now).

For the 40D I would get (in addition to the kit lens): a wide angle @ 2.8 or better (17-50 is great), a 50mm 1.4 prime, and then go for a telephoto zoom of your liking.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:50 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

when you want a better lens and upgrade it. Do it right the first time by investing in the right equipment so you don't have to change it later.

Last edited by Bubble; 11-28-2007 at 05:55 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:21 AM
breakyoselfvq35

Thanks for all the info. Ive made a list of the lenses i want, but it will take some time and i will switch the list numerous numbers of times. Im just concentrated on getting the 40D first, then i will worry about composition, lighting, etc., then ill worry about the lense.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:27 PM
gr?

Originally Posted by Bubble
when you want a better lens and upgrade it. Do it right the first time by investing in the right equipment so you don't have to change it later.
$1000+ on a lens is still a significant investment for a new enthusiast. It's a waste of money if they have a change of mind and get out of the hobby. There's nothing wrong the Tamron 17 50.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:08 PM
MR_X

I actually went today and got a chance to play with the Canon 40D and Nikon D80. I had a 18-200mm on the Nikon. It was a nice lens and the camera felt good, very familiar with it since I have a D70s. Well I took the 40D and as soon as I put the 18-55mm IS USM lens on it, I lost all interest on the Nikon. I liked how the camera felt on my hands. Loved the live view. Then I put a 70-200mm IS USM L type lens on it and I was very impressed. I got home and I was reading dpreview on Nikon D300 and D80 and Canon 40D. Just by looking at the photographic test I was sold on the Canon. I like how much clear it is. You can see some fuzziness with the Nikons at close up compared to the Canon. So If I don't change my car here soon, and a replacement for the D80 is not out, I will be picking a 40D with a few lens. The wife told me to keep the Nikon for those rainy days
Old 11-30-2007, 04:29 PM
breakyoselfvq35

Originally Posted by MR_X
I actually went today and got a chance to play with the Canon 40D and Nikon D80. I had a 18-200mm on the Nikon. It was a nice lens and the camera felt good, very familiar with it since I have a D70s. Well I took the 40D and as soon as I put the 18-55mm IS USM lens on it, I lost all interest on the Nikon. I liked how the camera felt on my hands. Loved the live view. Then I put a 70-200mm IS USM L type lens on it and I was very impressed. I got home and I was reading dpreview on Nikon D300 and D80 and Canon 40D. Just by looking at the photographic test I was sold on the Canon. I like how much clear it is. You can see some fuzziness with the Nikons at close up compared to the Canon. So If I don't change my car here soon, and a replacement for the D80 is not out, I will be picking a 40D with a few lens. The wife told me to keep the Nikon for those rainy days
Great to see another person converted to Canon!!
Old 11-30-2007, 04:50 PM
MR_X

Great to see another person converted to Canon!!
Not yet or completely

Quick Reply: Canon 40D or Nikon D300