Notices
Photography Techniques, Cameras, Lenses, & Equipment

Looking to get into this DSLR: D60 or XSI??

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Gooey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get into this DSLR: D60 or XSI??

Well I'm looking to purchase my first DSLR Camera. Most likely it will be my first and last purchase until the thing dies on me. I do not want to take it to a serious level where I will end up dishing out hundreds of dollars each month on new equipment.
Just looking to purchase a nice camera I can use to capture not so noobish pictures

Now I do not want to spend more than $1000 on a camera. Infact the lower the price the better. We can all use more money towards mods than a hobby in photography. Well to some I guess.

The D60 is available now. I have a $500 best buy gift card I have not used since Christmas. The camera itself with the lens that comes with it comes to $749.99. I played around with it at the store. Compared it to the higher end DSLR. Canon 40D, Nikon 300D, and some other outrageous priced cameras out there.

I really do like the feel of the smaller body. I think the pictures I took around the store were pretty nice (been using Sony Cybershots all my life )

Now, I have also been reading about the new Canon XSI coming out in April. Only a month away from now. Being a noob, I really dont know all the technical jargon and numbers and iso and etc, but I did realize the Canon comes wtih a LIVE VIEWFINDER ala Point n Shoot cams.

I really dont know much. Im a noob. I been trying to read as much as I can on these forums and on other photography forums. It is really hard to narrow it down.
The Nikon seems to be a pretty pratical Cam. The Canon, can't say since it is not even out there.

What do you guys think I should do? Wait for the canon to come out and see the difference in person? Or take the plunge and buy myself the D60? Or just don't bother and buy something totally different?
I did like the way the Sony A100 was taking pics. Very nice quality pics for the price range. But the store guy said there are not a lot of lenses out for the Sony since it is still pretty new to the market.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:26 PM
ctwentytwo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, sounds like you don't want to purchase a DSLR... and your answer to getting a better pic is not a new DSLR, but rather just learning about proper technique, lighting, processing, and composition. I'd buy a "how to" photography book before anything, then skim it, and try to apply what you learned. I would not read the whole book, but I'd definitely read up on how to compose a shot, and how to adjust the shot to make it "pop" with image editors, ie Photoshop, Photo-Paint, Painter, etc.

A DSLR lets you be more creative with the way various lenses make the pic look... you know how you want to make the picture; and to do it, most of the time, you will need a specific lens, which means $$$ and time to learn photography. Both these, you don't seem to want to invest too much in.

I'd just look into getting a high quality Point and Shoot, with a good zoom/wide angle lens with Image Stabilization, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, and writes the files in RAW. Canon G9. Most of the stuff a DSLR can do, but without the versatility of being to change lenses.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:48 PM
BlindFiring

CT is right.

a camera is just a tool and the G9 is a great camera.

your noobish pictures will look noobish even if your holding an 8 grand slr with a 4 grand lens attached to it.

also sony isnt new to the market. they took over the minolta camera corporation and they have more then enough lenses for you to choose from.

sony also makes the slr sensors for canon and nikon.

i use a Nikon D40X.

i have a few pics on myspace and they would look exactly the same if i had any other camera in my hand.

http://www.myspace.com/marrrrn

happy shooting!
Old 03-11-2008, 01:37 PM
simonfencer

BHphotovideo.com lists 18 lenses for Sony.

That is plenty for a hobby camera...odds are if you slapped a Tamron 18-250mm on the A100 you'd never take it off.

Check out Scott Kelby's The Digital Photography Book. It is an entertaining and informative read. (and under $20 pretty much everywhere)

One thing you should get no matter what camera you are using is a Tripod. It is amazing the difference a steady shooting base makes to pretty much any shot.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:05 AM
Gooey

Ok Well im pretty set on gettin a DSLR. I have couple hundred dollars in gift cards from best buy saved up.
Don't get me, I do plan on buying more lenses down the future and I do want to become a better photographer. Pictures capture things that will never be again and I would like to save these pictures at the best quality possible.

After trying out different cameras the D60, D80, and Sony's Alpha series cameras were my favorite.
Not knowing too much of the functions yet. Would gettin the D80 over the D60 and Sony's cam be worth the extra few dollars of investment? Looks like the D80 has a wider selection of glasses and a lot more settings to play around with.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:17 PM
simonfencer

Originally Posted by Gooey
Ok Well im pretty set on gettin a DSLR. I have couple hundred dollars in gift cards from best buy saved up.
Don't get me, I do plan on buying more lenses down the future and I do want to become a better photographer. Pictures capture things that will never be again and I would like to save these pictures at the best quality possible.

After trying out different cameras the D60, D80, and Sony's Alpha series cameras were my favorite.
Not knowing too much of the functions yet. Would gettin the D80 over the D60 and Sony's cam be worth the extra few dollars of investment? Looks like the D80 has a wider selection of glasses and a lot more settings to play around with.
Check out the reviews on dpreview.com or steves-digicams.com Either site will be very helpful.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:31 AM
clone19

i have a sony alpha dslr with the stock lens.
it never fails to get me great looking pictures.
i got it for around 700 a while back so it should be cheaper by now.

stop calling yourself a noob and start learning. you dont even have to buy a book just get on google and read up.

any dslr you get is going to be very confusing to use at first. once youve played around with it and know what the different dials and switches are for you can really get down to business and start taking great pictures.

i can highly reccomend the Sonly Alpha 100 because it does exactly what i need it to do, and does it well, and isnt really that complicated. but if i were in your situation, i would try to spend the least amount of money i could.

good luck