Notices
Photography Techniques, Cameras, Lenses, & Equipment

SLR noob here. Help choosing between the two!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:04 PM
mikeSSD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLR noob here. Help choosing between the two!

Hey guys,

After some considerable thought and after being fascinated by many pictures.... I decided to invest in a SLR camera. I went to Bestbuy today and played around with the Canon EOS Rebel XS w/ the 18-55mm IS lens & the Nikon D60 w/ the VR 18-55mm lens. I like them both...the Bestbuy employee told me the only differences between the two is that the Canon offers a little more features and has the live view. I have always appreciated great picture taking and art and am really considering taking up photography as a hobby. I know the everlasting debates on Canon and Nikon still continue, but just between these two models which one would you guys recommend? Quality and performance wise? Both fall in my budget. Thanks!

Bestbuy is selling the Canon for 549.99 (until Saturday) & the Nikon for 599.99

Update: I'm thinking about getting the D80 w/ the 18-135mm lens for about 800$ new. what do you think???

Last edited by mikeSSD; 03-15-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:28 AM
dj.kickz

I am by far probably the least qualified person in this section of the boards to answer this question but from what I've seen at the lowest price point and at the extremely high end cannon does a better job and somewhere in the middle Nikon is better. At your price I'd go with cannon but i wouldn't buy either from best buy as I'm sure you can get a better deal on amazon. Also if I was going to start over I'd skip on the Cannon XS, XTI, XSI series (I've got an XTI, and i'd trade it for a 20D or 30D if i could) and go straight for the 20D 30D 40D series, even if it means getting an older model with less megapixels.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:24 AM
mikeSSD

ahh i see...i just got reading some reviews about the d60 and alot of people recommend that i should just buy a d40 and use the extra money for the 55-200mm lens. megapixels dont really matter right? 6 compared to 10? its only useful if i were to blow up an image or crop it right?
Old 03-12-2009, 05:41 PM
ZR_Yancy

Between the 2, go with the one that feels better in your hands & how the buttons layouts best fits you. I would say they are pretty equal in photo quality in the same hands. But then again, photo quality depends on the user & not the camera.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:19 PM
TrinitySRT
Banned

neither. Sony A200 (about $499)... you get a longer lens with it (18-70mm) and the stabilizer is built in. You never have to worry about larger/heavier/more expensive IS or VR lenses. Also... you can do wireless flashes no matter what model Sony DSLR. it's handy for expandability in the future if you get into off camera lighting... studio.. etc.

if you want the live view... or for some reason its a deciding factor... look for a A350 or A300. A300 is usually about $599... and the screen actually flips up and down for easier views.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:30 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I had to do it again I wouldn't think twice about buying another Xsi

www.thephotoforum.com just search around the forums, Camera talk is almost like ford VS chevy

no matter what the other brand is always going to be better.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:03 PM
mikeSSD

thanks for the input everybody..i appreciate it! Which models come with the built in image stabilizer?
Old 03-13-2009, 08:39 AM
WhiskeyHotel

Well Olympus, Sony and Pentax provide the sensor shift for "anti-shake" or whatever each calls it. E510, 350, K200D would be the entry level respectively. Nikon and Canon use lens-based VR or IS.

If you are leaning toward Nikon - I agree with the D40 advice. It works great. Any Nikon glass you by can be used on any Nikon body ever built. My rule - Glass is forever, bodies come and go.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:22 AM
TrinitySRT
Banned

Originally Posted by mikeSSD
thanks for the input everybody..i appreciate it! Which models come with the built in image stabilizer?
Sony, Pentax, Olympus.

Minolta(sony bought them) was actually the first. Olympus was the first with "live view". Pentax first with "weather proof" cameras.

funny how those three arent on the top now eh?

Originally Posted by jeffie7
If I had to do it again I wouldn't think twice about buying another Xsi

www.thephotoforum.com just search around the forums, Camera talk is almost like ford VS chevy

no matter what the other brand is always going to be better.
not quite. in car land... most people are just bias... in camera land.. it really does come down to the specs(not saying it cant with cars too.. but you can mod cars). I can say nikon all day long but that would be bias. When it comes down to best bang for the buck... the best camera is actually not Canon OR Nikon.

Last edited by TrinitySRT; 03-14-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:37 AM
TheOtherRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best buy has the Nikon D200 on sale for 599.99 with free shipping I believe. Its a great camera, but not exactly a armature camera.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:50 AM
simonfencer

First off...go to your local camera shop that is not part of the ritz chain and look at cameras shown to you by people that weren't just assigned to the camera counter at best buy...

Second...TrinitySRT is right, the best camera isn't always a Canikon. Look at everything in your price range.

Third, it really helps to have some idea of what sort of pictures you will be taking when you go looking for a camera. For example I like to do macro stuff so big long fast (read expensive, heavy and expensive) lenses aren't really needed, so a weather sealed pentax body and a battery of manual lenses work great for me. If I was shooting sports or only wildlife, I might still have the pentax stuff but I'd likely have a canikon and something long and fast to suit that purpose.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:08 AM
dkorr

Hey guys,

After some considerable thought and after being fascinated by many pictures.... I decided to invest in a SLR camera. I went to Bestbuy today and played around with the Canon EOS Rebel XS w/ the 18-55mm IS lens & the Nikon D60 w/ the VR 18-55mm lens. I like them both...the Bestbuy employee told me the only differences between the two is that the Canon offers a little more features and has the live view. I have always appreciated great picture taking and art and am really considering taking up photography as a hobby. I know the everlasting debates on Canon and Nikon still continue, but just between these two models which one would you guys recommend? Quality and performance wise? Both fall in my budget. Thanks!

Bestbuy is selling the Canon for 549.99 (until Saturday) & the Nikon for 599.99
You should be comparing the XSI to the D60, and XS to the D40. The sales guy is right when it comes to Canon offering a little more features. The Canon has that self cleaning sensor and 9 focal points vs 3 in Nikons. Plus the Canon has a larger live view screen. I'm sure there are other differences that others here can tell you. But to me if you go with either camp you'll do fine since they both have a system of lenses you can choose from (in the future). Tokina, Sigma, Tamron, etc all make lenses that cater to Nikon/Canon.

BTW you shouldn't be shouldn't be shopping at Best Buy or Ritz Photo for equimpent... stick with Adorama or BH Photo.

GL
Old 03-15-2009, 12:35 PM
mikeSSD

I see...Well I'm stuck at bestbuy for my selection since I could finance the camera there. I'm currently looking towards the Nikon D80 w/ the 18-135mm lens. What do you guys think? The only drawback is it isn't a VR lens.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:41 PM
OCMan

if you cant figure out which slr to get, i recommend reading this
Old 03-15-2009, 02:03 PM
TrinitySRT
Banned

Originally Posted by dkorr
You should be comparing the XSI to the D60, and XS to the D40. The sales guy is right when it comes to Canon offering a little more features. The Canon has that self cleaning sensor and 9 focal points vs 3 in Nikons. Plus the Canon has a larger live view screen. I'm sure there are other differences that others here can tell you. But to me if you go with either camp you'll do fine since they both have a system of lenses you can choose from (in the future). Tokina, Sigma, Tamron, etc all make lenses that cater to Nikon/Canon.

BTW you shouldn't be shouldn't be shopping at Best Buy or Ritz Photo for equimpent... stick with Adorama or BH Photo.

GL
Eventually... the canons all have to be cleaned. all it does is shake off the dust onto a sticky thing at the bottom of the camera.

The live view in the XSi actually has a flaw IMO. It has to turn off.. then turn back on to properly auto focus. Kinda... lame.

Tokina, Sigma, and Tamron also cater very well to Pentax and Sony.

Originally Posted by simonfencer
First off...go to your local camera shop that is not part of the ritz chain and look at cameras shown to you by people that weren't just assigned to the camera counter at best buy...

Second...TrinitySRT is right, the best camera isn't always a Canikon. Look at everything in your price range.

Third, it really helps to have some idea of what sort of pictures you will be taking when you go looking for a camera. For example I like to do macro stuff so big long fast (read expensive, heavy and expensive) lenses aren't really needed, so a weather sealed pentax body and a battery of manual lenses work great for me. If I was shooting sports or only wildlife, I might still have the pentax stuff but I'd likely have a canikon and something long and fast to suit that purpose.
+1 on the pentax there. it is a very focused camera because of the weather seals. A lot of people look past that. Theres also thousands of new and old lenses to choose from.

Also you two.. what do you have against Ritz so bad lol

I see...Well I'm stuck at bestbuy for my selection since I could finance the camera there. I'm currently looking towards the Nikon D80 w/ the 18-135mm lens. What do you guys think? The only drawback is it isn't a VR lens.
I am still going to point you at the Sony A350. I have a D80... finally got rid of my 18-135. A350 still gives you more features for around the same price. So why not get more for your money?

btw.. Ritz and Best Buy will both finance. I dislike Best Buy credit cards though... their customer service BLEW and I got screwed over to the point i had to get a lawyer.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:33 PM
dj.kickz

doesn't B&H finance through bill me later? if not then get your gear from Amazon cuz i'm sure they do, and it's atleast 1/3rd cheaper then going through bestbuy.
I agree that Pentax/Olympus/Sony all give you more for your money, but doesn't Cannon / Nikkon have way more lenses to choose from?
I'm still going to repeat that if I was starting over I'd rather have a Cannon from the D20/30/40 series then a newer one from the XTI/XSI/XS series. Much better low light processing.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:36 PM
mikeSSD

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............so much to think of....so much to think .....
Old 03-16-2009, 12:24 AM
mikeSSD

UPDATE: I finally chose to go with the Nikon D80 and LOVE IT!!! Can't wait to learn more about photography and get more equipment
Old 03-16-2009, 07:10 AM
simonfencer

UPDATE: I finally chose to go with the Nikon D80 and LOVE IT!!! Can't wait to learn more about photography and get more equipment
A coworker borrowed a friend's D80 (so she could decide if it is what she wants and loves it). Enjoy your new toy. Get a Flickr account and start sharing some of your pictures.

Personnally, I have nothing against Ritz in a general sense, my local store does a great job with printing, but if you don't know what you are looking for it is very hit and miss as to whether you will get accurate help or not. Plus they tend to be about 20% more expensive than the reputable online places.

I've had great luck with BH Photo and Adorama online, and locally Kenmore Camera (Kcamera.com). Kenmore's a bit more expensive, but they have a good selection and the stuff is 10 minutes away not a week with shipping, so for small ticket stuff they are great. And I am sure in this economy if I wanted a $1000 lens that they were listing at $1100 or $1200 they'd be willing to dicker a bit.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:41 AM
mikeSSD

Thanks! I'll try to do some reading on how to take full advantage of this cam. I'm really looking into buying a circular polarizer by Hoya. What do you think? Whats a good place? Adorama and B&H again?

Quick Reply: SLR noob here. Help choosing between the two!