Notices
Photography Techniques, Cameras, Lenses, & Equipment

Best DSLR For A Beginner.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 01:40 PM
tkuntz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best DSLR For A Beginner.

Recently since purchasing my Z last fall I have been itching to get some good pictures with it. I know I could just look around for a photographer to take some pictures for me! but I would like to have the sense of pride in doing it myself. So recently I have had been getting more and more interested in purchasing my FIRST DSLR camera and some questions have arrose for me.

In recent years this question has been asked but I thought I would re-create a thread as times have upgraded from the old threads.

I am looking for something that I can use on a day to day basis that is as simple as point and shoot but yet still diverse enough that I can take great quality pictures and so on.

A family member bought a Cannon T2i as their first DSLR as their beginner base to start ther photography quest, but I was also looking into the more compact design of the Nikon N and J series. My question is which of the 2 would give a person the most satisfaction in their pictures yet be a great starting point for photography.

Feel free to give me your input as I am looking for as much information and advice on which would be my best route for being a rookie at photography, thanks all.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:03 PM
ZS14RR

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also would like to hear some input
Old 09-06-2012, 09:33 PM
rockinbboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cannon: T3i or T4i
Nikon: D3200

I got a T4i personally. I love the idea of a touch screen LCD, and its super nice. It is on the high end of a beginner DSLR. Battery life is OK and i am not getting the 400+ shots per battery charge as I am expecting.

Last edited by rockinbboy; 09-06-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Corpse11

I'm a designer/photographer and its really hard to say "what's the best for a (insert levels)"

It's really just down to budget and your real love of photography. If you're just doing it for a hobby and using these images for the web. There is no real need to purchase any DSLR over or around the $600 range. Most cameras now in this price range are all ATLEAST 14MP-20MP+ and come with tons of extra little options for types of photos as you're taking them.

However, if you think this is something you really want to pursue and even try to make money or enter the print world (magazine shoots, etc) I would advise against buying a "cheaper" DSLR to start. Mainly because after a short period of time, you're going to want to upgrade and spend double the money you just spent on the entry level DSLR.

With that being said, Nikon makes better camera bodies, and Canon makes better lenses, but with most "high" end DSLR's you can use Canon lenses on Nikon bodies and be just fine.

Take a look around pages like CNET and some other for reviews of cameras in your price range. They will go in depth most of the time about features and quality one camera has over the other. I would go with a Nikon, just simply because they are priced lower than Canon's most of the time, and they are better for most people. The exact model just really depends on your budget. I would go for the kits that come with atleast a couple of lenses and some extra memory cards. Just so you really get a chance to experiment with things.

Last edited by Corpse11; 09-06-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:06 AM
tkuntz

Originally Posted by rockinbboy
Cannon: T3i or T4i
Nikon: D3200

I got a T4i personally. I love the idea of a touch screen LCD, and its super nice. It is on the high end of a beginner DSLR. Battery life is OK and i am not getting the 400+ shots per battery charge as I am expecting.
hmm interesting, the T2i felt nice, not to heavy and was comfortable to hold, the only thing im not sure about is the size of the camera it's self compared to the Nikon N and J series.

Are the compact DSLR's just as good as the bigger versions?

Originally Posted by Corpse11
I'm a designer/photographer and its really hard to say "what's the best for a (insert levels)"

It's really just down to budget and your real love of photography. If you're just doing it for a hobby and using these images for the web. There is no real need to purchase any DSLR over or around the $600 range. Most cameras now in this price range are all ATLEAST 14MP-20MP+ and come with tons of extra little options for types of photos as you're taking them.

However, if you think this is something you really want to pursue and even try to make money or enter the print world (magazine shoots, etc) I would advise against buying a "cheaper" DSLR to start. Mainly because after a short period of time, you're going to want to upgrade and spend double the money you just spent on the entry level DSLR.

With that being said, Nikon makes better camera bodies, and Canon makes better lenses, but with most "high" end DSLR's you can use Canon lenses on Nikon bodies and be just fine.

Take a look around pages like CNET and some other for reviews of cameras in your price range. They will go in depth most of the time about features and quality one camera has over the other. I would go with a Nikon, just simply because they are priced lower than Canon's most of the time, and they are better for most people. The exact model just really depends on your budget. I would go for the kits that come with atleast a couple of lenses and some extra memory cards. Just so you really get a chance to experiment with things.
So mainly it comes down to how much you want to spend and how far you want to pursue your interest?

Right now I am looking to get started with something that isn't to overkill at the moment to just learn the technique and get some skill ha.

I have been interested in the compact DSLR's mainly for the reason that they have changeable lenses and yet still compact enough that you don't feel like your carrying a brick around your neck or on your shoulder. I am just concerned about the quality compared to the bigger versions is all.

Any advice on that side of things? as far as compact to the original size? (sorry i don't know the proper term for the bigger ones )
Old 09-07-2012, 03:33 PM
AlexBG

I would agree a Nikon D3200 is a pretty nice beginners camera.

I started with a Nikon D3000 two years ago and i had a lot of learning to catch up on.

Pictures I took with the D3000 in the link below:
http://alexcruisephotography.tumblr.com/

I currently upgraded to a D7000 and that is going to be here on Monday.
I gave the D3000 to my girlfriend as she wanted to learn how to shoot.

If you have any questions dont be afraid to shoot them over.

I mostly spent my money on lenses instead of upgrading cameras but it was time to upgrade.

My Lens Collection:
10-20mm
35-80mm
18-200mm
70-200mm
50mm

Last edited by AlexBG; 09-07-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:56 PM
tkuntz

Sounds like some good feedback here, I have been researching a little bit lately and the couple of current setups I have been looking at. I realize that there are going to be a few small differences between each camera, but as far as "bang for your buck" which would you experience photographers choose?

Cannon T2i: $799
18-55mm lens
75-300mm lens
Adobe photo shop/premiere
62inch tripod

Nikon D5100: $629
18-55mm lens

Nikon D5100: $849
18-55mm lens
55-200mm lens
Old 09-08-2012, 07:55 PM
blastoff99

I had it narrowed down to the canon t3i and Nikon d5100. I chose the canon because it felt better in my hands, and the UI was better. Note that both of these things are subjective.

Touch 'em all. You can only do so much research.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:37 PM
tookrzy4u192

Originally Posted by blastoff99
I had it narrowed down to the canon t3i and Nikon d5100. I chose the canon because it felt better in my hands, and the UI was better. Note that both of these things are subjective.

Touch 'em all. You can only do so much research.
Those are the two I was debating with also. I ended up with the T3i because of better video. From the reviews I read, usually, Cannon is superior in video compared to Nikon. But Nikon does take the slight edge in pictures.

If you're interested in the T3i, here's a link for a great deal:
Comes with T3i w/ 18-55mm & 55-250mm lens

http://slickdeals.net/f/5160470-Cano...-Free-shipping

I would have purchased it from there but I ended up doing the 18 month no interest from Best Buy.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:03 AM
350Zdj

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FYI on entry level Nikon DSLRs - they do not have focusing motors so non-motorized lenses such as the 50mm 1.8f won't work (this is a great lense btw) . Meaning you will have to manually focus on the image.

Skip the entry level DSLRs and start with Nikon D90 straight away IMO. Kit lense work really well. My sis bought the Nikon D7000 it's a great camera.

Not so sure about Canons as I've no personal experience with it.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:28 AM
dj lizard

I would say just get a d7000 or d90 Nikon, but that's if you seriously wanna stick with photography... and I will tell you this "you have to have commitment to it, and it's not just a click to snap a great photo... there is more into it"... if you are not sure about photography go with an entry-level dslr like the T3i from canon or the d3100 from nikon.. and you will grow out of them quickly... that's only if you're committed to it.. check out the vids on youtube about photo shots and stuff like that to understand what you're dragging you're self into... if you think it's too much just get the mirrorless semi-DSLR from sony it will do the job.. only issue will be the night shots.. cuz it just lacks the capability to work around the low light conditions.... good luck

Edit: one more thing try to invest in the photoshop app. it's the best investment I have ever had, in terms of photography.

Last edited by dj lizard; 09-09-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:38 PM
AlexBG

I went out and did a quick shot of my Z with my new Nikon D7000 and a Nikon 50mm f1.8.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Junkster

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I got my first DSLR a couple years ago, i ended up going with a Pentax K7. Overall i think they have the best bang for the buck (at least at the time) but im sure you can find a used K7 for pretty cheap now and they are GREAT...

Duno why everyone is ALWAYS on the nikon and Canon bandwagon...about the only advantage i see is that everyone has them so you can find glass or borrow glass easily. But unless your going to get something REALLY advanced, pentax is perfect
Old 09-11-2012, 01:50 PM
AlexBG

Originally Posted by Junkster
I got my first DSLR a couple years ago, i ended up going with a Pentax K7. Overall i think they have the best bang for the buck (at least at the time) but im sure you can find a used K7 for pretty cheap now and they are GREAT...

Duno why everyone is ALWAYS on the nikon and Canon bandwagon...about the only advantage i see is that everyone has them so you can find glass or borrow glass easily. But unless your going to get something REALLY advanced, pentax is perfect
Reason i am with Nikon is because my father used to be a photographer and he used to shoot models back in the day (early 1990's). He used to use Nikon. So i decided to keep it in the family plus he still has the camera and the D7000 i just bought not too long ago allows me to use all of his old lenses.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Junkster

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

^that makes sense...i got 2 other buddies that got k7's right when i got mine so i guess thats where i get my loaners from.

Although i do remember someone telling me about a lense renting website that is suposed to be really reasonable...anyone know the name? i cant remember off top
Old 09-11-2012, 03:40 PM
tkuntz

interesting points of view, it's helping out with making my final verdict, but i think im leaning towards the Nikon D5100.

Nikon and Cannon are the most common to find unless I goto a camera specific store im finding, and those little boutiques are somewhat expensive ha.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:03 AM
JMS71585

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started with the Nikon D3000. I got it as a gift about 2 years ago and I'm still learning with it. I like the Nikon D3000 line as a starting point. You may want to look into renting equipment at first to see what you like. Here in NYC, there are a few places that rent photography equipment. Search for some local places that may rent equipment.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:32 AM
tkuntz

Originally Posted by JMS71585
I started with the Nikon D3000. I got it as a gift about 2 years ago and I'm still learning with it. I like the Nikon D3000 line as a starting point. You may want to look into renting equipment at first to see what you like. Here in NYC, there are a few places that rent photography equipment. Search for some local places that may rent equipment.
hmm, that's an interesting idea. so you were actually able to rent a camera and a few lenses to go and play around with I take it?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:07 AM
nextcore

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

good info. I'm also looking to get photography as a hobby/side profession. i've been searching around but would like to know based on the few people's experiences here that started on "entry" level cameras and then upgraded their equipment, what are the major differences in these cameras that made you upgrade? Different features? ease of use?
Old 09-12-2012, 01:31 PM
AlexBG

like i said i started out with a D3000 and love that camera. I gave it to my better half. She wants to get into photography and I upgraded to a D7000

If you check out my photography page below most of those shots were with the D3000. The recent 2 pictures were with the D7000

https://www.facebook.com/AlexCruisePhotography

Quick Reply: Best DSLR For A Beginner.