Notices

First Look - KPtechnologies Speed Shift Module

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 09:52 PM
KPierson
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Look - KPtechnologies Speed Shift Module

This seems like a great time to introduce the community to KPtechnologies latest product (still actually in development) - the SS20 Speed Shift module.

The goal of the KPtechnologies SS20 Speed Shift module is to allow manual transmission owners to shift gears without taking their foot off the accelerator pedal.

This is accomplished by monitoring the APP signal (accelerator pedal position) to detect wide open throttle (WOT). Once the vehicle is in WOT as soon as the clutch is pushed the module will cut power to the fuel / ignition system (actual integration depends on installer / vehicle / preference). The output stays active for a preset amount of time which is adjustable from 25mS - 750mS via a simply one turn ****. Resolution of each step is roughly 0.7mS giving you the ability to select a precise time value for your driving style.

Since the module detects when the pedal is pushed to the floor daily driving isn't affected in any way.

The version in testing right now only contains the ignition / fuel cut ability, but this module was designed to work off of an RPM signal to allow future options (such as a two step feature). Software updates are accomplished by simply popping a small chip out of a socket and inserting the replacement chip. The current hardware will be compatible with future software revisions.

Finished product with external relay:

Cover off exposing production grade circuitry:

MSRP is expected to be $129.99 plus shipping. KPtechnologies experience and reliability at an unbelievable price!

For the latest information please check out: http://www.kptechnologies.com/forums...hp?f=10&t=1036
Old 06-07-2008, 11:48 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IDK about it sounds kinda fishy to me
Sigh...... I've had these features in my old honda CIVIC

One feature was from a dead stop, if you are not moving and you push in the clutch, it sets the rev limiter to what ever rpm you select, lets say you want to do 3Krpm launch, just set it to 3K and every single time you push in the clutch, the car will limit its rpms to 3K

The other feature is full throttle shifts, lets say if you shift at 8K rpm the next gear kicks in a 6500RPM, you can setup the car so as soon as you push the clutch it, it drops the revs to the set RPM limit, in that case 6500rpm so you have a perfect transition with out having to lift up on the throttle.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:54 AM
captj3

Is this similar to the box MRC is using? The features sound very similar.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:58 AM
redline350ZZ

Cheaper
Old 06-08-2008, 05:11 AM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by captj3
In theory and function they are very similiar. They, of course, aren't the same box, as KPtechnologies engineers and manufactures every product they sell in house (this means this module will have the same great reliability, support, customer service, and function as the rest of the KPtechnologies product line that has been available over the past 4 years). This module will also carry the same great warranty our other products carry - in 4+ years of business we have NEVER denied a warranty claim!

Of course, when it comes to price there is no comparison. This is what KPtechnologies does - design and manufacture custom electronic modules. This gives us the ability to make similar products and offer them at a reasonable price.

I've never seen/used the other box, but from my research between the two I believe our programming interface to be a bit simpler (simply turning a **** as opposed to holding a button down and counting LED flashes) and we have some obvious hardware advantages (namely the decision to use an external relay). Also, all options of the KPtechnologies module will be easily programmed without needing to find a computer with a serial port.

Last edited by KPierson; 06-08-2008 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:12 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by captj3

Thats what I was thinking
Old 06-08-2008, 05:17 AM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by mw9
Thats what I was thinking
That is one of the main reasons why I posted this last night. I was out of town on vacation and just got home last night. I saw that they started selling these while I was out of town and I wanted people to know there is a lower cost alternative in development.

I would have liked to waited until we had it working in a car, but that will come soon enough (in the next few hours hopefully). I'll post videos later today!
Old 06-08-2008, 07:06 AM
turismo

Seems like a nice product
Old 06-08-2008, 07:34 AM
captj3

Just to clarify I didn't think you copied theres. I know your reputation and the products you sell.The product discription overall sounded similar. It's good for the consumer to have more that one option and price without sacrificing quality.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:35 AM
n2mb

Originally Posted by KPierson
That is one of the main reasons why I posted this last night. I was out of town on vacation and just got home last night. I saw that they started selling these while I was out of town and I wanted people to know there is a lower cost alternative in development.

I would have liked to waited until we had it working in a car, but that will come soon enough (in the next few hours hopefully). I'll post videos later today!
I can't express the importance in testing a product design before releasing it to the public , particularly if the design is copied from someone elses patented design.we designed the wotbox years ago and it has been tested thoroughly on the market for a few years.we are just now branching out and offering it exclusively through mrc motorsports

how much design and engineering went in to copying our design?
Old 06-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Motero
Banned

Originally Posted by n2mb
I can't express the importance in testing a product design before releasing it to the public , particularly if the design is copied from someone elses patented design.we designed the wotbox years ago and it has been tested thoroughly on the market for a few years.we are just now branching out and offering it exclusively through mrc motorsports

They have been around for quite a while, and have proven to bring quality products.

Not much engineering is required in this module, and for $170 cheaper, its well worth it.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:05 AM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by n2mb

Our base power supply has been in production for 3+ years with outstanding long term reliability results. It is designed for an automotive environment and can withstand the ups and downs (no pun intended) of an alternator powered electrical system.

Out current input / output circuitry has been in production for 4+ years with proven results.

Our firmware goes through several trials, both in house and in the field before modules are approved for distribution. This module is no exception - we will test it on 5-10 field vehicles and get unbiased feedback from our test group.

Our quality is top notch, you can tell that by the pictures above. We don't skimp on components, circuit boards, or wiring. KPtechnologies is owned and operated by a mechanical engineer with experiance working with one of the major car manufaturers and and electrical engineer with a strong controls background (both in oil and manufacturing) as well as a strong automotive background.

KPtechnologies is a registered LLC and has been in business for 4+ years serving a wide variety of markets (but mostly the 350Z/G35 crowd).

I assure you, this is not a 3rd grade science project. This is a tested and proven piece of hardware. The firmware is still in testing, but will be tested and proven before this module is put on the market.

If you feel we have infringed on any patents please forward the register patent information to me for my review. Although we are doing roughly the same thing, KPtechnologies has chosen to go a different route in getting there (both with hardware and software). My guess is that our product will not violate any patents you have filed or have been granted.

On a side note, my test module is installed in my TT G35 and is working. I haven't had it on the road yet, but that is where I'm going now! Installation took about 3 hours from start to finish, but could have been done slightly quicker. I pulled the battery to route the under hood wiring (was unable to get all the wires at the ECU unfortunately). Pulling the battery isn't necesarry, but it left a much cleaner install as the wires run under the battery tray and out the side of the secondary firewall (between the battery and the motor).

I took a lot of pictures and will post them later tonight, hopefully with a video.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Aced16

Originally Posted by KPierson
Our base power supply has been in production for 3+ years with outstanding long term reliability results. It is designed for an automotive environment and can withstand the ups and downs (no pun intended) of an alternator powered electrical system.

Out current input / output circuitry has been in production for 4+ years with proven results.

Our firmware goes through several trials, both in house and in the field before modules are approved for distribution. This module is no exception - we will test it on 5-10 field vehicles and get unbiased feedback from our test group.

Our quality is top notch, you can tell that by the pictures above. We don't skimp on components, circuit boards, or wiring. KPtechnologies is owned and operated by a mechanical engineer with experiance working with one of the major car manufaturers and and electrical engineer with a strong controls background (both in oil and manufacturing) as well as a strong automotive background.

KPtechnologies is a registered LLC and has been in business for 4+ years serving a wide variety of markets (but mostly the 350Z/G35 crowd).

I assure you, this is not a 3rd grade science project. This is a tested and proven piece of hardware. The firmware is still in testing, but will be tested and proven before this module is put on the market.

If you feel we have infringed on any patents please forward the register patent information to me for my review. Although we are doing roughly the same thing, KPtechnologies has chosen to go a different route in getting there (both with hardware and software). My guess is that our product will not violate any patents you have filed or have been granted.

On a side note, my test module is installed in my TT G35 and is working. I haven't had it on the road yet, but that is where I'm going now! Installation took about 3 hours from start to finish, but could have been done slightly quicker. I pulled the battery to route the under hood wiring (was unable to get all the wires at the ECU unfortunately). Pulling the battery isn't necesarry, but it left a much cleaner install as the wires run under the battery tray and out the side of the secondary firewall (between the battery and the motor).

I took a lot of pictures and will post them later tonight, hopefully with a video.
that sounds great guys! i am looking forward to the release! also i wouldnt mind being a test vehicle i do drag about once a week! lmk!

Last edited by Aced16; 06-08-2008 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:19 AM
KPierson
Banned

Old 06-08-2008, 11:29 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

I just signed up. I'm extremely interested in this so get at me.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:32 PM
3m wol8

Originally Posted by Midnight Ryderz
IDK about it sounds kinda fishy to me
why does it sound fishy? do you actually know Kevin? his products are first class and he's a first class guy. I don't know one other person who would spend time at a car meet installing modules for free for people who bought them. i'd say keep your comments to yourself if you have any doubts or pm him and i'm sure he would be more than happy to give you the information you ask. if you can even think of any reason it's "fishy".
Old 06-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

neat.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:42 PM
wannabuy350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you gotta have a real good clutch for this, sounds like a good product though.

for those to drag, or race. it will eliminate lag between shift (almost)
Old 06-08-2008, 01:50 PM
iamdigital

I'll vouch for KP for what it's worth. Mad respect for MRC and I'm sure their product is top notch but I've done business with KP and he is a great guy! It's great to see this product finally come to the Z community and competition is not a bad thing
Old 06-08-2008, 02:19 PM
KPierson
Banned

Here are my initial findings:

First to second shifts the box is all but worthless. I think this is because the power of my car and how quickly I get to the top of first, mixed with a lack of traction, and the fact that the 1-2 shift is the fastest shift to make.

I could dial the box down to work with the 1-2 shift but it really took away from the rest of the shifts. If I put some bigger tires on the car (I still have stock rims) I think it would work much better down low.

2-3, 3-4, and 4-5 shifts were great and felt powerful. I had some issues getting the tranny to shift in to 4th a few times, but I think it was my own lack of skill. Trying to shift without lifting your foot off the pedal is a lot harder then I thought it would be - almost like relearning how to drive. I made a few videos, but I'm not sure you can see much. We just filmed my navi screen that shows TPS % and RPM. I'll try and upload the videos tonight for people to see. I will try to get to the track this Thursday to try it out there and see if I can knock any time off my 1/4.

Quick Reply: First Look - KPtechnologies Speed Shift Module