Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

GT Motorsports: Turbonetics ST? 500+ RWHP? No problem!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 03:50 AM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by George@GTM
Thanks for the compliments Craig, and no offense taken we are just debating, no doubt we are reaching the limit of this kit, but Sam does believe that with some C16, an aggressive tune, and different waste gate spring, we can achieve 600rwhp. If Gilbert wants to push the envelope even farther, we can do it

By the way, the reason the Torque is so much higher than the HP is because due the the waste gate spring pressure being so low, boost is tapering off, we believe with a stiffer spring the horsepower and torque would be better matched as in the earlier, lower boost graphs. I could be wrong though

P.S. Sorry I did not know your car had made 500whp, the dynograph I saw in your thread only showed 450, I might have missed the 500rwhp graph in some other page? (no sarcasm btw)
We haven't posted the 510 or 530whp runs that the car has done, as we were not happy with the outcome nor was it a refined tune. I've never really wanted to post "unfinished" dyno graphs, but the 470ish graph was just a 10psi run that was posted for a small update to show the power curve at 10~psi. The previous piping revision made 530whp on pump gas at 13psi, which is evident in some of the bottleneck in the piping being alleviated, but not all...

But enough about my car... After it's back with the latest piping changes it won't have any of the original turbonetics piping, and is a one off custom kit. Therefore its really hard to compare.

At a certain point, no amount of race gas is going to alleviate trying to flow a massive amount of air through piping that's too small. You're eventually going to run into backpressure and heat issues as exhaust gasses have nowhere to go. I don't think running a stiffer spring is going to alleviate the issue. The torque is rising to a higher peak but dropping off at a more significant rate due to a bottleneck in the system. I believe that you will make more power with more boost, but it at a decreasing return so you'll eventually just choke out with the more boost you add.

I'm interested in seeing what kind of power Gilbert's car is capible of making on a pump gas daily driving tune. Did you do some max runs on pump? (or this was the 13psi pull?)

Last edited by taurran; 11-30-2007 at 04:03 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:19 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Awesome numbers George and Sam .. I love it..

i understand race gas may have been used in some of the runs because only 91 Octane is available in Cali... while some of us like myself maybe able to get bigger numbers because 93 Octane is readily available over the rest of the US.. Awesome numbers for 91 too
Old 11-30-2007, 05:34 AM
mforrest100

Originally Posted by doug
Awesome numbers George and Sam .. I love it..

i understand race gas may have been used in some of the runs because only 91 Octane is available in Cali... while some of us like myself maybe able to get bigger numbers because 93 Octane is readily available over the rest of the US.. Awesome numbers for 91 too
I agree. I know you NJ guys have to be taking advantage of that Sunoco Ultra 94. I feel the difference everytime I put some of that in and I use 93 all the time.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:41 AM
mforrest100

Originally Posted by RED HOT Z
I just want to thank Sam my buddy George and the whole GTM team for this great accomplishment I think. I always believed it could be done and now here is proof! Like Sam said this has been a real long project in the making with alot of changes being done through out the project. I'm glad Sam and George convinced me to spend every last penny in what really matters. I just wanted to add that I am extremely happy with the performance of my GTM clutch. I previously had a JWT combo and my current set up does not compare to this as far as performance, chatter and over all stock feel.

THANKS GUYS!

It's nice to be the first!
In all honesty, how long do you think until you go twin???...(LOL) This is a great setup, but I honestly think your engine paired with the FCON with a JWT 700BB kit could get you to 650 whp range pretty easily. But if you are like me, you were probably just looking for reliability with the components you chose so you could have an engine that can handle 650 but won't be throwing more than 550 at it.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:41 AM
03BlkSETE

Originally Posted by mforrest100
I agree. I know you NJ guys have to be taking advantage of that Sunoco Ultra 94. I feel the difference everytime I put some of that in and I use 93 all the time.
Sunoco 94 in Jersey doesn't exist anymore. At least that is what I've seen in every Sunoco by me.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:52 AM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Job Sam...

I never understood why so many people think more power with less boost (with a crap load of timing) is a good thing...? Granted, I've only been certified and playing around with tuning for a year now (I'm far from an expert on the topic) but more boost and not running out the timing tables always yielded better results on my cars - this is how the expert tuners I know go about the process as well...
Old 11-30-2007, 05:54 AM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Originally Posted by 03BlkSETE
Sunoco 94 in Jersey doesn't exist anymore. At least that is what I've seen in every Sunoco by me.
Yep, Sunoco 94 has been gone for over a year now and most gas stations are only carrying 91, although you can still find 93 if you look.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:22 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by TayTaythatsme04
I see hope again for this kit after this thread. I was getting worried about ever being able to make good power out of this kit when Craig stated that there was no original TN piping left in his kit now. If Sam can recreate this again . . . I'm game

BTW sent you a PM Sam

T
this is the first TN on a build block that actually really has head work that i see done...jet had none if i recall.....and on a better ems that other setups too....So this sorta proves what many felt at that time that a build engine with basic head work the kit woudl reach 500whp
Or you could go with another single kit that puts 650whp

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 11-30-2007 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:31 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dam thats some sweet numbers. Good Job!
Old 11-30-2007, 07:07 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
this is the first TN on a build block that actually really has head work that i see done...jet had none if i recall.....and on a better ems that other setups too....So this sorta proves what many felt at that time that a build engine with basic head work the kit woudl reach 500whp
I agree on this. The main thing that sets this apart from the other builds we've seen is the heads and EMS. Definitely a nice combo.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:13 AM
TayTaythatsme04

Well then you throw money into switching up kits, which if I did that I would probably switch to twins. I can take the money that I wouldn't use on switching kits and throw that at the ^^^^ head work and better EMS(no brainer in my book).

and Im looking for 550+ and I would be perfectly happy . . .

. . . I hope I guess it comes back to what you want for power.

T
Old 11-30-2007, 07:15 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow-very impressive. No offense to GTM in my followin gcomment, but I see nothing "spectacular" (parts wise) in that build I dont get why other shops havent even come close to those numbers on a stock kit. Sam can def tune, great job Sam/GTM!

And LOL @ Quicksilver's out of this world SAE estimates, I swear he pulls stuff out of you know where sometimes. SAE vs STD on my car boosted is minimal in diff-but Sam already said that.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:19 AM
MIAPLAYA

Congrats to Gilbert and GTM on an excellent project. The car looks amazing and I'm very impressed by the power delivery throughout the band. Craig, your on deck buddy! Congrats again!
Old 11-30-2007, 07:20 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very cool guys, we have yet to tune a regular TN kit on a built block here. everyone usually swaps it out for some other twin turbo kit when they build.

nice numbers though, we hit 470 hp and 510 tq with AJs stock motor, some nice pistons, cams, and heads with the right engine management will do some wonders!!

we have a few 530 hp runs on craigs car at moderate boost, the problem though is when we turn up the boost more, it makes more tq with the same hp. definitely some bottlenecking going on that we are taking care of right now.

again, great numbers and glad to see people having success with things that people havent really done before.

i would love to see more on race gas and crazier tune, i will have the opportunity to do so on someones built TN when they bring it to me. there will be some limitations , maybe turbo, maybe piping but i would like to try to get what we can out of it. good job !!
Old 11-30-2007, 07:22 AM
UGOTZ'D

would it be beneficial for this set-up to have just a single exhaust instead of the dual?
Old 11-30-2007, 07:50 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Wow-very impressive. No offense to GTM in my followin gcomment, but I see nothing "spectacular" (parts wise) in that build I dont get why other shops havent even come close to those numbers on a stock kit. Sam can def tune, great job Sam/GTM!

And LOL @ Quicksilver's out of this world SAE estimates, I swear he pulls stuff out of you know where sometimes. SAE vs STD on my car boosted is minimal in diff-but Sam already said that.

lol ive seen about 2-5% differences...just the usual estimate i see in the supra forums...
Anyways, maybe if jet had followed your(or i cant remember whos) advice to do somethign with his heads(cams at least) he probably would have been the first to reach 500whp

Anyways, I hope they do a race gas tune on this car too

Originally Posted by UGOTZ'D
would it be beneficial for this set-up to have just a single exhaust instead of the dual?

3" with 3" dp rather than 2.5

edit. forgot to noticed the car alreayd had a dual exhaust

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 11-30-2007 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:58 AM
taurran

3" with 3" dp rather than 2.5
I dont think it would matter. He's running a dual tipped full 3" exhaust so it should flow just as good if not better than a straight single 3" pipe.

The downpipe is another story.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:00 AM
RED HOT Z

Thanks guys for all the comments! I won't be switching to a TT because I love the neck snapping jolt a ST produces once it hits boost. With the amount of money I have invested on this project another 2k for a TT would not have been a problem but I was looking for something that had never been done before. 500+ whp daily driver is more than enough to get me in trouble I don't need 650+ I always thought this could be done and even Sam and George had their doubts.

I hope my project inspires some of the TN's guys to build and stop switching out to TT's.

Now it's time to work on the looks.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:03 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what are you EGTs like on that setup?
Old 11-30-2007, 09:06 AM
carfi179

500whp is a whole lot of power specially for a daily driven car and anything more than that is just for bragging rights anyway. Congratulations on hitting your goal!

Quick Reply: GT Motorsports: Turbonetics ST? 500+ RWHP? No problem!