Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

Jzurita's Build "Nightmare that became a dream" 590whp 93 octane

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 07:47 PM
JZurita

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alter Ego
Well, I am wondering about the other 25 or so motors JT has built. Why are they all still running? Its easy to pick on the guy who doesn't defend himself on the boards. All the proof here is from "shops" who are complete competition from him.

All this to be said and I hate him because he tried to pick up my girlfriend one night when we were all hanging out. What a dick? I mean, if he did something shady then I would crucify him, but everyone deserves a fair chance.
No comment...

Here's the link to the teardown vid: http://blip.tv/file/2670987

Should be up soon... Currently being converted to flash.

Last edited by JZurita; 10-02-2009 at 03:40 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:17 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
Jon i gotta say.. i don't know if its because you're in insurance.. but you keep impecable records... and had you not done that.. no one would have believed you.. and it would have just been another 'attack' on JT .. its one thing to take video of the current breakdown.. but you had video of when you got the motor from JT.. thats impressive.. i tell you i would have never thought of doing that.. that evidence alone maybe enough to get money back for this motor.. maybe coach or terry can chime in on the legal standpoint
I just caught up on this thread. I linked in from another thread, but I typically jump straight to the FI forum and bypass the shop build section.

I think Coach is now in business with JT...

I'll provide some basic information regarding purchase contracts, but I must disclose that this area of law is outside my practice area. I will give some basic information, but this is NOT legal advice. The aggrieved party should seek appropriate counsel experienced in this area of the law (civil litigation/contract law).

Here are some basics:

Whenever someone purchases goods, the purchase falls under Contract law. There usually is an "Implied Warranty of Merchantabity," unless an agreement to the contrary has been made. If this Implied Warranty has been breached, a law suit may be sought. Here is a link that describes the Elements required in FL for such a suit:

http://www.floridalitigationguide.com/guide/10.php

In FL small claims court you can sue for up to $5,000. If you want to sue for more money, then you can sue in State Court. If the two parties are domiciled in different states (i.e., claim residence in different states), then suit may be brought in Federal Court. Suit must be brought before the expiration of the Statute of Limitations expires. Under Fla. Stat. sect. 95.11(3)(k) it appears the Statute of Limitations is 4 years for contract cases (EDIT: in Florida).

Another option if for the aggrieved party to file suit in their own state and seek personal jurisdiction over the defendant under that state's long arm statute. Then, their state's laws and statute of limitations MAY apply, depending on the circumstances.

Again, do NOT rely on this as legal advice, but instead seek legal counsel who specializes in this area of the law. I practice intellectual property (Patent, Trademark and Copyright law), but mostly Patent law.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 10-04-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting the vid. I just watched it and....wow.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:13 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Wow... The vid is pretty damning evidence that JT/PF built a crap motor. Unbalanced rotating assembly?!?!? WTF?!?!?

2 questions for you Jon...
  1. Did you pay for a Nismo thermostat, rev-up oil pump, and JWT valve springs? I heard you say on the vid that they were supposed to be JWT springs.
  2. Any other parts that were listed on your build sheet/invoice that were not found inside of the motor during Vinny's teardown?

EDIT: UH OH... Per the build list on post #77, it looks like you were supposed to have JWT valve springs & shims.

https://my350z.com/forum/7738581-post77.html

Originally Posted by JZurita
• Built Long Block by Performance Factory, Orlando, FL

o JE "Untouchable" Dual Coated 8.8 to 1 Compression Pistons
o Eagle Rods
o HKS Head Gasket
o ARP L19s Head Studs
o ARP Main Studs
o Jim Wolf Technology C2 Cams
o Jim Wolf Technology Springs & Shims

• Greddy 18G Twin Turbo Kit
• Greddy Front Mount Intercooler
• Greddy EVO TT True Dual Exhaust
• PF 2.5” Downpipes
• CJ Motorsports Stage 2 Return Fuel System
• Deatschwerks 600cc Injectors
• Jim Wolf Technology Heavy Duty Clutch
• Jim Wolf Technology Lightweight Flywheel
• HKS EVC6 Boost Controller
• TurboXS UTEC

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 10-02-2009 at 12:42 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:20 AM
IslandZavage

Did i miss something? just saw the video. At 14:45 he says the pump works, then he notices the pump has been modified opens it up and sees the lock washers in there. Then he goes to say that the "dead body" is the pump. But at 14:45 he shows the pump working when he turns the pump and you see the oil pumping out. Im no engine builder but that part confuses me cause he says its not the pump after he turns it by hand, then he opens it up and finds the washers, but as he just showed the pump still worked.. Did i miss something? Im only basing this off of what i saw/heard him say in the video. So is it the pump or not? cause looks like even modified the pump still worked. Someone please clue me in. Im not taking sides, im just trying to make sense of a little confusion on my part possibly..
Old 10-02-2009, 05:29 AM
JZurita

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Wow... The vid is pretty damning evidence that JT/PF built a crap motor. Unbalanced rotating assembly?!?!? WTF?!?!?

2 questions for you Jon...
  1. Did you pay for a Nismo thermostat, rev-up oil pump, and JWT valve springs? I heard you say on the vid that they were supposed to be JWT springs.
  2. Any other parts that were listed on your build sheet/invoice that were not found inside of the motor during Vinny's teardown?
I'm almost positive I have the original invoice in my other desktop. I'll post it up tonight.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:53 AM
Glex25

Originally Posted by IslandZavage
Did i miss something? just saw the video. At 14:45 he says the pump works, then he notices the pump has been modified opens it up and sees the lock washers in there. Then he goes to say that the "dead body" is the pump. But at 14:45 he shows the pump working when he turns the pump and you see the oil pumping out. Im no engine builder but that part confuses me cause he says its not the pump after he turns it by hand, then he opens it up and finds the washers, but as he just showed the pump still worked.. Did i miss something? Im only basing this off of what i saw/heard him say in the video. So is it the pump or not? cause looks like even modified the pump still worked. Someone please clue me in. Im not taking sides, im just trying to make sense of a little confusion on my part possibly..
From what I understood is that the washers create a higher oil pressure but the wrong washers were used. I noticed that when he took off that nut one of the washers was running around loose in there. My own sentiment I think the unbalance and clearance issues were 75% the culprit (I believe the clearance issue is what cause the crank to lock up and eventually break the way it did) with the oil pump being the other 25% but he is a engine builder so he would know more than me.

Vinny is a great guy and from that video I now know who will be building my motor but I know me and him will bang heads as far as tuning as he doesn't touch any standalone EMS unless its the Hydra EMS and I'm running a Haltech.

Jzurita again sorry to hear about all this going down.
Hopefully you will recover and we will finally get to meet up some time
next summer.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:03 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Glex25
From what I understood is that the washers create a higher oil pressure but the wrong washers were used.
Higher pressure = lower flow. More pressure doesn't mean it will lubricate the motor any better. FLOW lubricates, not pressure.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:30 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Alter Ego
Well, I am wondering about the other 25 or so motors JT has built. Why are they all still running? Its easy to pick on the guy who doesn't defend himself on the boards. All the proof here is from "shops" who are complete competition from him.
how many built motors did JT Do vs Failure?

Jon - Blown
Joe@Sage - Blown
Chris - (2) Blown
Taurann - Blown

in a quick search i came up with about 10 built motors.. 4 are blown (that we know of) .. do you like those odds?
Old 10-02-2009, 06:31 AM
JZurita

Originally Posted by Glex25
Jzurita again sorry to hear about all this going down.
Hopefully you will recover and we will finally get to meet up some time
next summer.
Thanks man, hopefully I'll be back soon.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:32 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
I just caught up on this thread. I linked in from another thread, but I typically jump straight to the FI forum and bypass the shop build section.

I think Coach is now in business with JT...

I'll provide some basic information regarding purchase contracts, but I must disclose that this area of law is outside my practice area. I will give some basic information, but this is NOT legal advice. The aggrieved party should seek appropriate counsel experienced in this area of the law (civil litigation/contract law).

Here are some basics:

Whenever someone purchases goods, the purchase falls under Contract law. There usually is an "Implied Warranty of Merchantabity," unless an agreement to the contrary has been made. If this Implied Warranty has been breached, a law suit may be sought. Here is a link that describes the Elements required in FL for such a suit:

http://www.floridalitigationguide.com/guide/10.php

In FL small claims court you can sue for up to $5,000. If you want to sue for more money, then you can sue in State Court. If the two parties are domiciled in different states (i.e., claim residence in different states), then suit may be brought in Federal Court. Suit must be brought before the expiration of the Statute of Limitations expires. Under sect. 95.11(3)(k) it appears the Statute of Limitations is 4 years for contract cases.

Another option if for the aggrieved party to file suit in their own state and seek personal jurisdiction over the defendant under that state's long arm statute. Then, their state's laws and statute of limitations MAY apply, depending on the circumstances.

Again, do NOT rely on this as legal advice, but instead seek legal counsel who specializes in this area of the law. I practice intellectual property (Patent, Trademark and Copyright law), but mostly Patent law.
*cha ching*

Breach of Implied Warranty -

[1] Elements and Case Citations

(1) Plaintiff purchased a product;

(2) Plaintiff was a foreseeable user of the product;

(3) Plaintiff was using the product in the intended manner at the time of the injury;

(4) The product was defective when transferred from the warrantor; and

(5) The defect caused the plaintiff’s injury.

Plaintiff must be in privity with seller to recover for breach of express or implied warranties. See Kramer v. Piper Aircraft Corp., 520 So. 2d 37, 38 (Fla. 1988). The plaintiff must give notice for statutory breach of warranty claims (§ 672.607(3)(a) Fla. Stat.) unless such notice is excused. See Monroe County v. Gonzalez, 593 So. 2d 1143, 1145 (Fla. 3d DCA 1992). Courts are divided over whether Florida’s adoption of the U.C.C. displaces common-law claims for breach of implied warranty. Compare Cardozo v. True, 342 So. 2d 1053, 1057 (Fla. 2d DCA 1977)(Florida’s U.C.C. does not displace common-law doctrine of implied warranty) and West v. Caterpillar Tractor Co., 336 So. 2d 80, 88 (Fla. 1976) (U.C.C. remedies are exclusive only where decreed by legislature) with Taylor v. American Honda Motor Co., 555 F. Supp. 59, 62 (M.D. Fla. 1982)(Florida’s U.C.C. provides the exclusive remedy for breach of implied warranty against a seller of goods).
Old 10-02-2009, 06:41 AM
GreenGoblin

WOW
Old 10-02-2009, 06:57 AM
jksstar

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Jon - Blown
Joe@Sage - Blown
Chris - (2) Blown
Taurann - Blown

in a quick search i came up with about 10 built motors.. 4 are blown (that we know of) .. do you like those odds?
On the other side my motor was fine, beat the **** out of it and it held up good. 175 shot, 150 shot, S/C +100 shot and my motor was done around the same as Chris's (when PF 1st opened)
Old 10-02-2009, 07:42 AM
JZurita

Jon - Blown
Joe@Sage - Blown
Chris - (2) Blown
Taurann - Blown

Not to mention that we know for a fact that Chris had the SAME thing happen to his motor. Based off JT's post, he spun a bearing due to a "faulty rev-up oil pump." Could it be that JT did the same thing to his stock oil pump and tried passing it off as a rev-up? Or maybe nothing was balanced and he just needed something to blame it on?

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
ok guys, back in december we decided to step up the game for chris and build him a motor. then we both agreed that getting an assembled long block would be easier because i had just opened up shop. we ordered a sleeved block with top of the line internals from todd at built z motors. motor came full assembled with no issues at all..

get the car together and broken in for about 1000 miles and set it on the dyno. after a few half throttle pulls, the car spins a rod bearing. so, i immediately grabbed his car down and pulled it around and took it apart to see what had happened. we narrowed it down to a faulty rev up oil pump or the oil cooler we had added onto his new setup.

FOR FREE, i took it all apart broke it all the way down to bare block, had a new crank rebalanced, checked all parts thoroughly and had everything inspected. we fully rebuild all the motor back with 2 thousandths on the mains and rods. i had the machine shop triple check everything before we put it together, we add a new oil pump, all new bearings, gaskets, etc all out of my own pocket cause i wanted to make sure chris was happy.

there were too many variable to blame anything on the build, we did everything right, broke it in , low low boost with lowered rev limiter, changed the oil a total of 3 or 4 times.

now after fully building it back the second time, we put the car on the dyno for 60 + pulls, we drove it around 200-300 miles, car made very nice power.

chris takes the car home and drives it for a little while and then decided to change the oil. since the motor already had 1000+ miles on it, i used fully synthetic Redline oil in it right at the beginning. chris put in valvoline 10w40 regular oil and then drove it and it immediately threw another rod bearing. we are still trying to figure out what could be the issue...

we are not "trying" to hide anything, just not everything public that is being taken care of. i have gone WAY out of my way to fix it all and i am doing it again. it goes to show that no matter how careful you are , you can still have issues. every shop has them and some are made public and some are kept private.

this should really only be a bad thing if the owner of the car is not happy. i try and try and try to keep everyone happy. i work 16-20 hours a day to make this happen and this is my life....

we talk friendly crap to make the competition upset and want to race us. we dont mean anything by it, just being men. i have a very very high customer appreciation level that i strive very very hard to make happen.

anyone that knows me, knows i am blunt and honest, i say it how it is. i dont try to sell people stuff they dont need, just try to make everyone happy and drive a fast car. thats it. i dont like all the drama cause i dont have time to even keep up with everything else..

thanks everyone...

Last edited by JZurita; 10-02-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:10 AM
XKR

With all this talk about RevUp Oil Pumps......are they that expensive that JT would take a chance like this?? How much do they cost vs the regular ones
Old 10-02-2009, 08:20 AM
JZurita

Originally Posted by XKR
With all this talk about RevUp Oil Pumps......are they that expensive that JT would take a chance like this?? How much do they cost vs the regular ones
I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to cut corners as much as possible with every build he did. No balancing, no hot tanking, modifying the pump rather than purchasing a new one, etc. I'm sure this was his way of price matching/beating the competition and keeping more bones in his pocket.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:32 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by XKR
I know the Nismo oil pump is significantly more expensive, but I don't think the rev-up pump is a much more expensive than the non rev-up.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks for sharing the video man and i think VTR was a good choice. Good luck we are all rooting for ya.. IMHO the way the oil pump was rigged shows that longevity was not in the builders mind at all. Actions speak louder than words. I wonder if those ghetto tricks are the reasons other motors went boom due to oil starvation?
Old 10-02-2009, 08:56 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Jon - Blown
Joe@Sage - Blown
Chris - (2) Blown
Taurann - Blown

i dont know math lol

Originally Posted by JZurita
I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to cut corners as much as possible with every build he did. No balancing, no hot tanking, modifying the pump rather than purchasing a new one, etc. I'm sure this was his way of price matching/beating the competition and keeping more bones in his pocket.
yeap...cutting corners is usually the main and only real reason why things liek this happen(or you just suck building engines period, worst than a rag-fail)...

i LOLed that he says this "...we narrowed it down to a faulty rev up oil pump or the oil cooler we had added onto his new setup.

FOR FREE, i took it all apart..."

So first its his fault and then tries to take credit for trouble shooting his fail as "free work?" ...not he only shop i have seen try to use that tactic here , but doesnt make it any less pathetic IMO

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 10-02-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Nissan 350z OEM Oil Pump (2007+ VQ35HR)
Item# 15010-JK20A
Regular price: $210.00
Your price: $175.00
Product Description
The Nissan 350z OEM Oil Pump for the 2007+ VQ35HR 350z should be changed anytime the motor is rebuilt.

http://www.importpartspro.com/ni35oemoilpu2.html

Quick Reply: Jzurita's Build "Nightmare that became a dream" 590whp 93 octane