Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

Sound Performance hits 1017rwhp!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 05:30 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by IntenseAero
Not trying to start anything brash in here but isn't this SP's 1000+HP thread, why all the {Nameless Shop} and or off topic talk about "dyno sweet spots" and such, this is simply put a grand accomplishment on SP's part! Enjoy and again congrats guy"Z"

"DON'T HATE, CONGRATULATE"

Mod for clean up in this thread and back to topic of SP 's accomplishment.
Darren needs to seriously take the computer away from you.. stick to what you know best and thats not posting on this forum... sometimes you just need to learn when to STFU
Old 09-12-2008, 06:57 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^lol
Old 09-12-2008, 07:28 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR
WOOOW ....hold up..Jorge, Eric and the AZ gang knows better than to think that I would be knocking anything that SP has done. That shop lets their work speak for itself...I was just responding to a question that someone asked about why more shops dont build 1000whp cars.

In my response I was trying to say that 1000 is wayyyyyy too much for me and I would not be able to use it...thought about it once...just once Eric and Jorge...you know better than that.
its not for everybody, its all good, i wouldnt taken anything you said the wrong way ... like larry said... the vq will eventually be there... if you think about it mike...first it was 550 is all you need.. sleeves are needed for 600..now 700-800 is going to get common...eventually 1000whp will be there too... its just part of the developing...
You dont have to run 1000 all the time.. and with the rpm pushed like SP has there is plenty of powerband to enjoy
Old 09-12-2008, 08:32 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
its not for everybody, its all good, i wouldnt taken anything you said the wrong way ... like larry said... the vq will eventually be there... if you think about it mike...first it was 550 is all you need.. sleeves are needed for 600..now 700-800 is going to get common...eventually 1000whp will be there too... its just part of the developing...
You dont have to run 1000 all the time.. and with the rpm pushed like SP has there is plenty of powerband to enjoy
I agree with what you're saying. Getting the crazy numbers isn't that hard now. But the next hurdle is addressing the longevity issues that are associated with having a high whp VQ.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Blackbird CPV35

550whp is definitely not enough
Old 09-13-2008, 05:00 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Chris.. i don't know if it was mentioned already.. but is this motor sleeved or non-sleeved? because alot of the motors that were having coolant problems were sleeved.. and i believe the Injected car isn't sleeved? so maybe sleeves might be a minor cause of the coolant problems?

edit: read the shop update thread.. it has sleeves.. err.. nevermind

Last edited by doug; 09-13-2008 at 05:03 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:12 AM
coachk
Banned

Originally Posted by phunk
if there is any problem with the stock manifold that is related to the slope in the roof, it would only be if the plenum roof is shrouding the front cylinders. however, as far as i have seen, it is all speculation anyway. but either way, our intake has plenty of clearance over the runner inlets not to shroud them.
Ok thanks for explaining that. It was my understanding that with a downward slope towards the front, the front inlets would get less volume of air opposed to a greater volume going to the rear inlets. Thats why Crawfords plenum was such a big hit because it seemed that since it didn't slope, all the inlets would get equal air flow.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:41 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
I totally agree.....I once thought 550 was enough

Sorry for OT ...

Jorge .... because of the hurricane, change of plans...catch up with the gang later in the month.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doug
Chris.. i don't know if it was mentioned already.. but is this motor sleeved or non-sleeved? because alot of the motors that were having coolant problems were sleeved.. and i believe the Injected car isn't sleeved? so maybe sleeves might be a minor cause of the coolant problems?

edit: read the shop update thread.. it has sleeves.. err.. nevermind
I'm pretty sure Injected's Z is sleeved, I;m positive they now run a 4.0 liters tho..
Old 09-13-2008, 07:49 PM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

The drag Z does have Darton sleeves as well as Wongy's G35 and countless other sleeved VQs we have built and are running around on the streets currently. No coolant issues with any of the cars to date (crosses fingers).
Old 09-13-2008, 08:29 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

who still has coolant system issues that didnt use stock DE gaskets or a weak 65lb ft on the headstuds or something? i was one of the first guys but it was just a bad sleeve job and/or not enough headstud torque.

sleeves vs not sleeved doesnt dictate much. just cause one guy has properly installed sleeves with no issues, doesnt mean the guy with crappy done sleeves wont have issues.

sleeves just leave more room from error is all, but done right it will be fine. in my case it was not. for some they dont have enough torque on the studs, for some they didnt prep the surfaces well enough before assembled, for some they had too much timing and blew out a gasket...

basically all im saying is that we have plenty of VQs out and about with no cooling system issues so i think that the big mystery on how to seal the heads is over.... there are no secrets just some people doing it right and some people doing it wrong. i did mine wrong first. but the last 2.5+ years its been bullet proof thru endless abuse. i havent bled my coolant system or touched anything related for over 2 years. crap i dont even pay attention anymore its been so solid... thats how they should all be.

use a good gasket, use a good amount of torque on the studs, dont run sleeves if they were not put in correctly, and dont tune too aggressively tryign to break 1200rwhp with pump gas just cause you have meth or some other bandaid.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:59 AM
roncfpz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats guys! That is one hell of an achievement.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:20 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by phunk
use a good gasket, use a good amount of torque on the studs, dont run sleeves if they were not put in correctly, and dont tune too aggressively tryign to break 1200rwhp with pump gas just cause you have meth or some other bandaid.
Words to live by for sure...

I read through this thread again and it seems like you (phunk) are the designer of the intake used on the SP 1017whp car. Congratulations... job well done. It is very difficult to design something like an intake manifold from scratch, manufacture it, and get it to work better than an OEM original product. Kudos on everything working out and it holding together for all that horsepower.

Also congratulations to the Sound Performance people for dedicating their funds and time to create a project like this. Quite an accomplishment. Interesting that all three shops to reach 1000whp have done so on their own nickel with a shop car. Very cool!

I have been curious about one thing, however. Why Sound Performance? I thought you were a stereo shop the first couple of times I saw your name. I'm sure I won't confuse your name any more, but it still seems an odd choice to me.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:36 PM
INTENSEPOWER
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by __jb
... Interesting that all three shops to reach 1000whp have done so on their own nickel with a shop car. Very cool!

I have been curious about one thing, however. Why Sound Performance? I thought you were a stereo shop the first couple of times I saw your name. I'm sure I won't confuse your name any more, but it still seems an odd choice to me.
This motor isn't any of the above mentioned shops "first rodeo"

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

-Juliet

Darrren
Old 09-16-2008, 01:42 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by __jb

Long story short.....

Back in 1988 I opened up as Sound F/X, primarily a stereo shop. In 1989 I bought a Supra turbo..... started modding it...... in 1991 I was making 570 RWHP which was UNHEARD of for 1991!!! I wanted to become a HKS and Greddy dealer but they said that our name was too much audio orientated so I changed it to something that had both audio and performance in the name. Hence Sound Performance. Since about 1995 we have been 100% performance. I think there is only 1 or 2 shops in the country that have been Greddy/HKS dealers longer than I have!!
Old 09-16-2008, 02:26 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by INTENSEPOWER
This motor isn't any of the above mentioned shops "first rodeo"
That's obvious.

I don't think it's the first high horsepower engine they have put together either.

Originally Posted by INTENSEPOWER
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

-Juliet

Darrren
Thanks.

You've been very helpful.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:30 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by SoundPerformance
Long story short.....

Back in 1988 I opened up as Sound F/X, primarily a stereo shop. In 1989 I bought a Supra turbo..... started modding it...... in 1991 I was making 570 RWHP which was UNHEARD of for 1991!!! I wanted to become a HKS and Greddy dealer but they said that our name was too much audio orientated so I changed it to something that had both audio and performance in the name. Hence Sound Performance. Since about 1995 we have been 100% performance. I think there is only 1 or 2 shops in the country that have been Greddy/HKS dealers longer than I have!!
Thanks for the back story. I had a hunch it might be something like that.

Congratulations again on hitting the 1000whp mark with a VQ and good luck on future builds...
Old 09-16-2008, 02:43 PM
NissanZfan

wow
Old 10-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoundPerformance
Hell no!! I made those myself, mucho thicker material!!

just wondering, but have you ever compared making the merge area a rounder edge as opposed to the 'knife'-y edge you have?

those collectors are beautiful btw

also, what about on the heads (same question for the porting)? is it common knowledge that the sharp edge is the best way to seperate the flow?
Old 10-09-2008, 09:13 AM
240zx

Are you guys headed back to the track anytime soon?

Quick Reply: Sound Performance hits 1017rwhp!!