Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

Sound Performance hits 1017rwhp!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SoundPerformance
Same way that we build any 1000K HP motor!
QFT!!!

Too many people on these boards are under the misconception that this motor is so much different than any other motor. Simply put at the end of the day a motor is a motor. Yes, motors have there differences here and there but a good engine builder is a good engine builder period.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:32 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
QFT!!!

Too many people on these boards are under the misconception that this motor is so much different than any other motor. Simply put at the end of the day a motor is a motor. Yes, motors have there differences here and there but a good engine builder is a good engine builder period.

Yeah..... what is an engine....... just a bunch of metal and some bolts!! Of course there are things that you learn along the way but the guidelines are the same!!

I am pretty confident that I can put together ANY engine properly...... well maybe not a rotary not that I would even want to!!
Old 09-10-2008, 12:38 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
QFT!!!

I am not knocking SP, in fact I am thrilled to have another vendor with +1000 whp results. I am just curious if they added anything different into the mix with this particular build. Maybe something that the dozens of other vendors on this forum have not done. And if it was so easy than why hasn't every vendor pushed the car to over 1000 whp?

Are they all lousy tuners..no. Are they using inferior turbo kits? maybe, maybe not?

So why are so few tuners are able to reach this high mark? Thats what I want to know.

And also, why do so many vendors have trouble with coolant and what was once thought to be high boost 20psi? Quite a few folks have to regularly bleed their coolant to avoid trapping air pockets. What is SP doing differently is my question?

If "good tuning" is the only answer...then so be it.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
I am not knocking SP, in fact I am thrilled to have another vendor with +1000 whp results. I am just curious if they added anything different into the mix with this particular build. Maybe something that the dozens of other vendors on this forum have not done. And if it was so easy than why hasn't every vendor pushed the car to over 1000 whp?

Are they all lousy tuners..no. Are they using inferior turbo kits? maybe, maybe not?

So why are so few tuners are able to reach this high mark? Thats what I want to know.

And also, why do so many vendors have trouble with coolant and what was once thought to be high boost 20psi? Quite a few folks have to regularly bleed their coolant to avoid trapping air pockets. What is SP doing differently is my question?

Not sure if you are asking me these questions directly or not. Either way these are things that I cannot answer, its something that you would have to ask the vendors that are having the issues that you are mentioning.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:48 PM
XKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question....
Old 09-10-2008, 12:49 PM
XKR

Yeah..... what is an engine....... just a bunch of metal and some bolts!! Of course there are things that you learn along the way but the guidelines are the same!!

I am pretty confident that I can put together ANY engine properly...... well maybe not a rotary not that I would even want to!!
I have been around Rotary motors along time...if you can build a VQ or piston motor...Rotary will be easy for you...
Old 09-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Chris@SP
Sponsor
Sound Performance

I've seen others having these coolant issues, but we've been fortunate I guess. We are really just using water and water wetter so that could very well be a point to note. Other then that, just making sure we burb it and fill nice and slow, all has been good. I've don't it more times than I'd like to admit lol and no issues.

I've not had any coolant issues on the other vq's I've built and those were with coolant. Not sure I have an answer on why issues are arising.

Chris
Old 09-10-2008, 01:05 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

I can say from experience that keeping backpressure to a minimum is key to keeping heads down. Perhaps the fact that we always run more octane than we need?? Maybe that we use the largest intercooler made? We are also running very large turbos..... And the fact that the ProEFI controls timing so perfectly helps!!

All this said..... who knows.... maybe the next dyno pull she will spill her guts all over the place!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Chris@SP
Sponsor
Sound Performance

All this said..... who knows.... maybe the next dyno pull she will spill her guts all over the place!!!
hush your mouth lol

I built it, it's fine
Old 09-10-2008, 01:16 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Originally Posted by Chris@SP

I built it, it's fine

That's what worries me!!
Old 09-10-2008, 01:22 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by Chris@SP
I've seen others having these coolant issues, but we've been fortunate I guess. We are really just using water and water wetter so that could very well be a point to note. Other then that, just making sure we burb it and fill nice and slow, all has been good. I've don't it more times than I'd like to admit lol and no issues.

I've not had any coolant issues on the other vq's I've built and those were with coolant. Not sure I have an answer on why issues are arising.

Chris
I have not seen any issues when Evans was used....but all the problem reported (from what I have seen) has been with regualr coolant.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:56 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

one thing to add... is that from the 2 problems i have heard with the coolant issues, the car was being pushed using methanol tuned for power with pump gas....larry mentioned how octane is a big friend...perhaps some of those other cars with problems were pushed to much with pump gas and methanol ...

Also, a lot of other tuners have a ceiling because of the fuel delivery...most aren't running twin pumps(or triple), just methanol...
The turbos(kit efficiency, turbo size) are a big deal... also a Lil bit of guts is needed... thats how we got from 2 years ago when were sleeves a must for 600whp, to now not being useful unless you are building a monster car like SP is. EMS development is a another big part of the equation too.

Oh well its all part of the learning process for the VQ... as I've said it, most of big supra shops that are part of our forum have seen it all already and what they do is what they know works, so in a way i am not so amazed that SP got this far with their 1st engine build....

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 09-10-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Cannysage

that's insane powah! is there any numbers for pump gas?
Old 09-10-2008, 03:10 PM
rrmedicx

Very impressive nonetheless. I hope the engine management has something to do with it. Looking forward to seeing and maybe getting to play a bit with the new ProEFI end-user software.

I believe the turbo sizes out on the general market (JWT, Greddy, APS) are most probably the biggest limiting factor more so than fuel pump(s) IMHO. Folks have been running with 2 pumps and huge injectors for quite some time. So I'm leaning towards Turbo efficiency as the limiting factor to reaching to 1K whp mark....until now that is.
You guys are using some big turbos and thats great to see our motors holding up as they are. Keep up the great work.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:12 PM
rrmedicx

Originally Posted by XKR
I have not seen any issues when Evans was used....but all the problem reported (from what I have seen) has been with regualr coolant.
I think Jetpilot had some coolant related issues even with Evans and the Greddy TT. But I could be wrong.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:13 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
one thing to add... is that from the 2 problems i have heard with the coolant issues, the car was being pushed using methanol tuned for power with pump gas....larry mentioned how octane is a big friend...perhaps some of those other cars with problems were pushed to much with pump gas and methanol ...

Also, a lot of other tuners have a ceiling because of the fuel delivery...most aren't running twin pumps(or triple), just methanol...
The turbos(kit efficiency, turbo size) are a big deal... also a Lil bit of guts is needed... thats how we got from 2 years ago when were sleeves a must for 600whp, to now not being useful unless you are building a monster car like SP is. EMS development is a another big part of the equation too.

Oh well its all part of the learning process for the VQ... as I've said it, most of big supra shops that are part of our forum have seen it all already and what they do is what they know works, so in a way i am not so amazed that SP got this far with their 1st engine build....

We just take everything that we have learned from the last 20 years and apply it to every new platform. It's really not rocket science.

If you can just barely get by with 110 octane.... then run C16.

If you can fit a bigger intercooler, DO IT!!

Do not skimp on the fuel system!! 3 pumps are your friend.... and so are the big Weldons!!

AVOID PIGGYBACK COMPUTERS AT ALL COST!!!

If you want to run 30 psi and the turbos will make 35.... RUN 35!!! LOL

Just common sense things is all.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:16 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Originally Posted by Cannysage
that's insane powah! is there any numbers for pump gas?

17 psi it made 720ish which is about as far as Id go on pump on a 3.5

15 psi she made 670ish.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:17 PM
DanielW
Banned

I think eagletanggreen was using evans and had issues
Old 09-10-2008, 03:31 PM
rrmedicx

Originally Posted by DanielW
I think eagletanggreen was using evans and had issues
From what I recall, Luis/Eagle averted having any coolant issues by regularly burping and monitoring his coolant after every 'hard' day at the track/street.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:05 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is no coincidence that the three shops on here with 1,000+ whp VQ's (Sound Performance, Injected Performance, and Intense Motorsports) are all renowned/respected shops in the Supra community. They have been building 1,000+ whp Supras for years (before the existance of the VQ35DE and before many of the other poplular VQ shops on this forum opened their doors) and are now applying that knowledge and experience to the VQ platform. Many of the other shops here on the boards simply don't have prior experience building 1,000+ whp cars.

This isn't intended as a slam or bash to the other popular shops on here. But it's a fact that's hard to ignore or dismiss as the VQ platform is progressing to 4-digit power levels.

I also think the recent advancements in engine management with the Haltech and ProEFI are also a big factor enabling our platform to get to the next level.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 09-10-2008 at 06:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Sound Performance hits 1017rwhp!!