Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

G35 NA stroker with ITBs

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 05:01 PM
zxman69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 more shot before PRI
Attached Thumbnails G35 NA stroker with ITBs-20.jpg   G35 NA stroker with ITBs-30.jpg  
Old 12-07-2008, 11:05 AM
mack z

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
That's a shame. Why not design the box to withstand boost? Then Jenvey would have both the NA and FI market for these ITB's covered with a single design.
if you would like to come up with some cash then we can get build it.let us start out with 10k to start out with and we will go from there.
has any herelooked into how much it cost to do something like this?
Old 12-07-2008, 11:33 AM
BrandonF

Originally Posted by mack z
if you would like to come up with some cash then we can get build it.let us start out with 10k to start out with and we will go from there.
10k for an airbox that will withstand boost.....???
Old 12-07-2008, 05:07 PM
zxman69

Mack is giving you the starting cost to design and tool up for a mass produced part, and then it may cost even more if your first design does not produce the results that you are looking for. and of course there is always the chance that no one will want to buy it. As for a one off air box for your specific application, the cost would depend on what you wanted it made of and how it had to be designed four your car. You willl have different factors such as what kind of forced induction, (ie...single /twin turbo,super charger) what you are using as engine management, (piggy back or stand alone ) just to name a few.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Ivory

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im sure the box will do as intended...but something tells me a side inlet would work better still...
Old 12-07-2008, 05:31 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mack z
LOL Ummm... No thanks. Nice way to twist my post BTW. Are you serious and are you talking about a custom one-off piece? If you're offering your services to custom fabricate a one-off piece, I'm sure I can get Intense to design and fabricate something in-house that both performs and looks awesome for significantly less $$$. 4 figures? Definitely. 5 figures??? LMAO

If your talking about developing a prototype that will be produced, Jenvey (or any other company) should bear much of the initial R&D investment for an FI capable airbox for the Jenvey ITB's that would be produced, marketed and sold for profit. Why should I or anyone else foot 100% of the cost to volunteer our car for a prototype?

I'd be a fool to spend 5 figures for an airbox alone when the stock plenum + spacer has made 1,000+whp on FI VQ's. Let's see... $138 spacer versus $10,000+ for ITB & airbox combo... Hmmm

Edit: Just noticed zxman69 posted while I was typing my response here. Again, it's absurd to expect a customer to finance 100% of a company's R&D for something that will be mass produced. If you're not willing to invest in your product, why should we? Get real.

Sorry Ivory. It wasn't my intention to take Hal's thread about your car OT. I now regret that I even brought up the question of FI applications for these ITB's.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 12-07-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
LOL Ummm... No thanks. Nice way to twist my post BTW. Are you serious and are you talking about a custom one-off piece? If you're offering your services to custom fabricate a one-off piece, I'm sure I can get Intense to design and fabricate something in-house that both performs and looks awesome for significantly less $$$. 4 figures? Definitely. 5 figures??? LMAO

If your talking about developing a prototype that will be produced, Jenvey (or any other company) should bear much of the initial R&D investment for an FI capable airbox for the Jenvey ITB's that would be produced, marketed and sold for profit. Why should I or anyone else foot 100% of the cost to volunteer our car for a prototype?

I'd be a fool to spend 5 figures for an airbox alone when the stock plenum + spacer has made 1,000+whp on FI VQ's. Let's see... $138 spacer versus $10,000+ for ITB & airbox combo... Hmmm
to be fair, you're overlooking a very simple thing - that the intake manifold is far more critical in terms of design for an NA car vs an FI car. When air is being forced in, you can get away with a much more limiting design. Velocity through the manifold no longer becomes as critical as it is when the engine is being asked to suck in the air it needs. Instead, the turbo (single or plural) becomes the most important component to making the desired power. A mediocre manifold like the stock unit can still make tons of power on an FI car. That's not to say there is not room for improvement, as there clearly is, but it becomes far less critical to making big #'s. I don't deal with Jenvey, but I'm fairly confident that the the FI side of things is likely not even on their radar. It's not who their primary customer base is. That being said though, yes, a custom, 1 off airbox would easily run into several thousand for just a prototype, and just as easily get to 5 figures for a full tilt ***** to the wall unit - especially in full carbon (just as an example). You're talking about hundreds and hundreds of man hours involved. I only know this because I spent the better part of this year doing substantial research on it.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 12-07-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:59 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
to be fair, you're overlooking a very simple thing - that the intake manifold is far more critical in terms of design for an NA car vs an FI car. When air is being forced in, you can get away with a much more limiting design. Velocity through the manifold no longer becomes as critical as it is when the engine is being asked to suck in the air it needs. Instead, the turbo (single or plural) becomes the most important component to making the desired power. A mediocre manifold like the stock unit can still make tons of power on an FI car. That's not to say there is not room for improvement, as there clearly is, but it becomes far less critical to making big #'s.
I understand and appreciate what you're saying Adam. You did a great job of explaining it to me in your prior posts a few days ago. I took issue with what mack z posted in response to me after I posted a legitimate question, which you already addressed with a technical explanation, and after I acknowledged the complexities you explained.

Bottom line: I'm not gonna pay all the expense (5 figures and then some) for a company to use me as a guinea pig for their R&D on something they intend to produce. What's the incentive to do that???

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 12-07-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:35 PM
zxman69

As Adam said Jenvey's priomary customer is not using these on a street car they design and build products for race teams all over the world. It took forever for Mack to convince them that anyone would be interested in using these on a street car, and then get them to build a airbox for them. Believe me when I tellyou that they have far more money in the develoment of that kit then $10,000 . It took over a year to bring them to market after I anounced they would be available and then over a year to get an air box setup that they are happy with. The Z and or vQ35 engine is only one of many kits that they have on the market and it is most definitely not one that has made back their initial investment. Mack is not trying to be rude but he basically tells it like it is, and to devolope a mass produced FI air box for this kit would be very costly. RUDE G if you where located here in South Florida I'm sure that he would be more that happy to build you a intake that would suite your needs.
Neil
Old 12-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Out of curiosity, what is the estimated price for the airbox shown in the pictures above?
Old 12-07-2008, 06:59 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by zxman69
As Adam said Jenvey's priomary customer is not using these on a street car they design and build products for race teams all over the world. It took forever for Mack to convince them that anyone would be interested in using these on a street car, and then get them to build a airbox for them. Believe me when I tellyou that they have far more money in the develoment of that kit then $10,000 . It took over a year to bring them to market after I anounced they would be available and then over a year to get an air box setup that they are happy with. The Z and or vQ35 engine is only one of many kits that they have on the market and it is most definitely not one that has made back their initial investment. Mack is not trying to be rude but he basically tells it like it is, and to devolope a mass produced FI air box for this kit would be very costly. RUDE G if you where located here in South Florida I'm sure that he would be more that happy to build you a intake that would suite your needs.
Neil
Fair enough. It seemed like Mack was being a smart *** after Adam already addressed my prior post in which I asked why Jenvey didn't design an airbox to withstand FI applications. I now understand why this is being marketed more towards the hardcore NA guys. It's obvious that an ITB/airbox setup isn't necessary to make big power on FI VQ's anyway and that such a setup is very costly. Considering the cost of an airbox to withstand boost, it's definitely not a bang-for-the-buck mod for FI. A custom airbox/ITB setup on a boosted Z or G sounds like something for a guy who wants to be uberBALLER and have bragging rights.

Again, sorry for taking this thread OT about FI applications. I thought I was asking a legitimate question at the time.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 12-07-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:02 AM
BrandonF

Isn't the potential customer base of the FI crowd much larger than the extreme NA crowd....???
Old 12-08-2008, 05:46 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

I have proved before through translation that Mack's posts are sometimes misleading and need to be translated for use in the public theater.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:39 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonF
Isn't the potential customer base of the FI crowd much larger than the extreme NA crowd....???
jenvey already has a customer base - no point in them reinventing the wheel really as they've been around for a long time now satisfying that base (primarily race teams) - those customers do not have forced induction due to class restrictions. For the guy who has an FI setup that seriously wants ITB's, it could be done and that person presumably would have the resources to legitimately make it happen.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 12-08-2008 at 06:46 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:41 AM
Ivory

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
Out of curiosity, what is the estimated price for the airbox shown in the pictures above?
+1
Old 12-08-2008, 06:46 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I spoke to Mack about pricing, and it should be released at PRI. Though the same was said for pics of the airbox... thanks Neil :P
Old 12-08-2008, 08:43 AM
zxman69

Hey Paul and Hal, did you ever get the G35 back on the dyno and finish tuning it?
Old 12-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zxman69
Hey Paul and Hal, did you ever get the G35 back on the dyno and finish tuning it?
No, the car is with Paul in NY.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:53 AM
postaprice

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL
im boosted at 8 psi and I am just above that mark...Vortech

VERY IMPRESSIVE BUILD....VERY IMPRESSIVE INDEED!
must be something wrong with your setup then, i know a guy making 500hp with 10psi
Old 12-16-2008, 05:08 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by postaprice
must be something wrong with your setup then, i know a guy making 500hp with 10psi
well your guy is lying.

Quick Reply: G35 NA stroker with ITBs