Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

IPS Project G35 Sedan.... MONSTER! ver 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 09:38 PM
3kgtSL91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

car should be done tomorrow. trans is in, everything is in

today i got a new radiator in with electric fans. it had koyo 36mm core in it before, we swapped the 350z koyo R core which is 53mm thick, had to modify it to make it work but now it sits in their like it came from the factory
Old 05-15-2012, 09:40 PM
3kgtSL91

we also upgraded trans cooler, this is what was in it before:

and i'll post pics of what it's got now tomorrow
Old 05-17-2012, 09:58 AM
3kgtSL91

trans coolers now
Old 05-17-2012, 10:04 AM
3kgtSL91

all kinds of room in their now

car should be up and running today
Old 05-18-2012, 05:01 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not bad. I'm using a massive Derale cooler with a fan on mine. I believe it is 12x14 and was a pain to find a good mounting point for.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:40 AM
GreenGoblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Up and running? When do you plan to go back to the track?
Old 05-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Andrei

Originally Posted by 3kgtSL91
also some news on the TH400 rebuild... as it turns out, the "BUILD" transmission that Vlad paid a lot of money for, is apparently bone stock transmission out of 60s chevy truck...

so all those internals got thrown away and trans is getting done on monday, once all the parts come in and we should have it back by tuesday... I will also have pics of internals next to new good ones
This is a prime example why peoples built motors blow up 5 times. The customer isn't involved and just drops off the cash for certain parts and labor. The shops outsource the jobs and before you know it, nobody really knows wtf went in the car and nobody checks.

It's a big gamble. 20k on a build? 40k? 60k... Some people die for 20k.

It's fair to say that a shops failure to double check the outsourced jobs is as much of a failure of a customer not being INVOLVED in the build.

At least this car didn't end up being parted out in the marketplace like almost every other FI G or Z.

Last edited by Andrei; 05-23-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:54 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrei

It's fair to say that a shops failure to double check the outsourced jobs is as much of a failure of a customer not being INVOLVED in the build.
That's a pretty messed up thing to say. I am in the mind set you should build your car yourself, and be aware, but not everyone has the time or skill for that. People pay big well known shops for a reason; they are supposed to be better than what you can do. Honestly a stab like that is not needed and is just disrespectful.
That's like blaming a surgery going wrong on the patient's parent because they weren't in the O.R.
Things should go as paid for and promised regardless of how knowledgeable a person is or not. Mistakes happen nonetheless, but to blame them on the owner is just stupid.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:13 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

This is a prime example why peoples built motors blow up 5 times. The customer isn't involved and just drops off the cash for certain parts and labor. The shops outsource the jobs and before you know it, nobody really knows wtf went in the car and nobody checks.

It's a big gamble. 20k on a build? 40k? 60k... Some people die for 20k.

At least this car didn't end up being parted out in the marketplace like almost every other FI G or Z.
Have you been INVOLVED in an automatic transmission build? The only way to "double check" and verify if the internals have been upgraded... is to disassemble the trans. Most speed shops are not automatic transmission builders too. Shops place their faith in a trans builder they trust just like many customers in the VQ community place their faith in a shop that they trust to build their car. That doesn't necessarily equate to negligence or failure.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 05-24-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:25 AM
3kgtSL91

Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
Up and running? When do you plan to go back to the track?
was running, but apparently now it's got wiring issues. we are rewiring the ecu now.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:06 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Have you been INVOLVED in an automatic transmission build? The only way to "double check" and verify if the internals have been upgraded... is to disassemble the trans. Most speed shops are not automatic transmission builders too. Shops place their faith in a trans builder they trust just like many customers in the VQ community place their faith in a shop that they trust to build their car. That doesn't necessarily equate to negligence or failure.
+100000000 a trans rebuild isnt fun either, requires special tools in some cases and is a major pain in the ***, damn snap rings suck getting back in when trying to hold everything else in too. if the throttle body is being modified as well you HAVE to be a expert not something you can blindly do in most cases. i would never again rebuild a stock auto trans forget about performance.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Andrei

Originally Posted by Resmarted
That's a pretty messed up thing to say. I am in the mind set you should build your car yourself, and be aware, but not everyone has the time or skill for that. People pay big well known shops for a reason; they are supposed to be better than what you can do. Honestly a stab like that is not needed and is just disrespectful.
That's like blaming a surgery going wrong on the patient's parent because they weren't in the O.R.
Things should go as paid for and promised regardless of how knowledgeable a person is or not. Mistakes happen nonetheless, but to blame them on the owner is just stupid.
I'm not saying to be involved down to torquing every bolt and nut on the car. But at the very least show some concern about how their own money is being spent and at least watch what's being done and by who. On a 20k build, what's another 500 or even 1000 for a 3rd party to check the parts that are going in before assembly if the customer cant do it himself? If something doesn't check out, someone ends up being liable before it's too late.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:00 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

I'm not saying to be involved down to torquing every bolt and nut on the car. But at the very least show some concern about how their own money is being spent and at least watch what's being done and by who. On a 20k build, what's another 500 or even 1000 for a 3rd party to check the parts that are going in before assembly if the customer cant do it himself? If something doesn't check out, someone ends up being liable before it's too late.
LOL Seriously??? So by trying to get a 3rd party involved in inspecting/supervising the build in progress on THEIR property, you're essentially suggesting to put a shop on notice that you don't trust them and suspect that they are possibly or potentially ripping you off... Good luck with that. See if they bend over backwards for you or throw any discounts your way after that.

You shouldn't start a build with a particular shop in the first place if you don't have any trust or faith that they will do the build correctly. What you suggest is only sensible after reasonable suspicion or probable cause has surfaced during the course of the build (evidence of other customers of same shop being ripped off or having QC issues, problems with your own build, poor customer service, etc) that justifies getting some 3rd party oversight involved.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:35 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

LOL Seriously??? So by trying to get a 3rd party involved in inspecting/supervising the build in progress on THEIR property, you're essentially suggesting to put a shop on notice that you don't trust them and suspect that they are possibly or potentially ripping you off... Good luck with that. See if they bend over backwards for you or throw any discounts your way after that.

You shouldn't start a build with a particular shop in the first place if you don't have any trust or faith that they will do the build correctly. What you suggest is only sensible after reasonable suspicion or probable cause has surfaced during the course of the build (evidence of other customers of same shop being ripped off or having QC issues, problems with your own build, poor customer service, etc) that justifies getting some 3rd party oversight involved.
Furthermore when **** does go down bad, good shops follow up and back up their products. I read somewhere (on the supra sites) that SP had a bad tranny, and it blew, and they basically covered the cost of fixing right.... Which put them in a bad $ sitation. This might just be the car....
Old 05-28-2012, 08:15 AM
Andrei

Of course, the customer will take the parts to the 3rd party to have the parts and work inspected before the original shop assembles them. I would call that being partially involved.

And no, I wouldn't trust a shop no matter which one it is and why would anyone base their trust on forum threads made here? The **** that surfaces every now and then like in this thread, is less than a quarter of all the bad **** that happens that we find out about.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:25 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Of course, the customer will take the parts to the 3rd party to have the parts and work inspected before the original shop assembles them. I would call that being partially involved.

And no, I wouldn't trust a shop no matter which one it is and why would anyone base their trust on forum threads made here? The **** that surfaces every now and then like in this thread, is less than a quarter of all the bad **** that happens that we find out about.
Your naive posts wreak of someone with bolt-ons who has never been personally INVOLVED in a $20+K FI build project.

Furthermore, I refuse to listen to someone who says "more better"...
That is not more better. I would expect BMW, Merc and VW to do some stupid **** like that because they cant help themselves, but that is not more better at all, and it makes having a VHR pointless. Hopefully the FSM is just overly cautious and nothing needs to be replaced.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:37 AM
powerhousefan

andrei, your logic is something else (i won't say what it is but everyone knows here). let me give you an example of what you are suggesting. let's say i want to do an addition to my house. unless you are a know it all guy, you will have to hire someone. between getting all permits in order, to actually doing the work, you will need some help. here is what you are suggesting:
1) find a reputable contractor;
2) hire him to do the work;
3) then hire another contractor to inspect the work (after all, what is another couple of grand);

net-net, unless you have something productive to say, please leave my car/this thread alone. thank you.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:42 AM
3kgtSL91

it is also disturbing like if i build a car for a client and he takes it somewhere else for an inspection and let's say that other place does something wrong and will not disclose it to you, the odds are you will probably blame it on the first shop that did the work.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:13 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Not to mention, he speaks of all these blown motors and then he talks about having the parts inspected before the original shop assembles them... Does he not realize that the overwhelming majority of built motor failures documented on this forum were attributed to improper install, machining and/or assemby (especially sleeved motors), oil pump failures, and tuning/EMS issues??? They didn't blow because of not having the parts included that customers paid for.

This guy is so out of touch with reality that it's hilarious.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:53 AM
GreenGoblin

Thanks for the update, I can't wait to see what kind of time is puts down in real race trim.

Quick Reply: IPS Project G35 Sedan.... MONSTER! ver 2