Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

Vq30det!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 10:59 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by abonham87
well it was made by nissan for boost. and we all know the limits of a stock vq35 block... i guess its the same idea of why people swap 2L sr20det's instead of keeping there cast iron 2.4L ka's in the 240sx world , right?
OK. But it's still an aluminum block with an open deck designed to hold sub 300 crank horsepower reliably... like a VQ35DE does NA, right? Is there any evidence to suggest that this motor will hold up to 400+whp any better than a VQ35? Does it have forged internals or significantly beefier rods?
Old 12-18-2012, 11:36 AM
JGYMotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sradenton
nice! thanks for the link!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:21 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

supposedly looking up online a little seems the rods tend to fail at around 500 hp, sooo seems like stock block your about at the same level as a boosted stock block hr but with less torque, fully built you have less potential because of less displacement............. or have to go more extreme to get the same power. really hard to compare to the race cars also since everything for those was custom built for the race cars and they where twin turbo. kinda like comparing a 84 corvette motor to a nascar engine.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:50 PM
YounG35

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
If the block has the same design as a VQ35DE, I don't see what the benefit or appeal would be to swap that smaller motor into a 350Z or G35 versus boosting the VQ35DE... other than to be different for the sake of being different.
I agree with him. If it's the same design, you are going to a smaller motor, so you lose there.

I guess you get a turbo, so you win there.

Isn't it rated at the same almost HP as the VQ35?

What type of Throttle body? cable right?

I bet the revs are different because it's a smaller stroke right?

so.........is the block and crank the same?
Old 12-18-2012, 01:06 PM
JGYMotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

Oddly Nissan could choose ANY motor , and create a fully built race motor. why the vq30 over the vq35? since there building it and budget is no issue? It could be because of a motor size limit at 3L, or.....it could be something else

Last edited by JGYMotorsports; 01-01-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:24 AM
JGYMotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sradenton
nice,

If we can get Jason to take it apart, we can post some pics of the block to see what and if they are different.

........what if they are not open deck blocks?
Old 01-01-2013, 01:40 PM
jasonG35

the article about the 350z says about 300kW at the wheels

1 kilowatt = 1.34102209 horsepowers

so, a touch over 400HP doesn't seem like a great accomplishment, but.......the article does discuss the annoyance of getting turbo stuff from the states, and it's New Zealand I think

I think that motor would be neat in a Z/G if you could snag one with a blown up motor.
or, an old Datsun :-)
Old 01-01-2013, 01:58 PM
JGYMotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
If the block has the same design as a VQ35DE, I don't see what the benefit or appeal would be to swap that smaller motor into a 350Z or G35 versus boosting the VQ35DE... other than to be different for the sake of being different.
(Rude G, sorry about the previous conversation, wrong meaning was relayed)

Well said. We do seem to do alot of "different" here based on customer's requests.

One of the issues we were looking into is the cost factor for more power.

Granted, we didn't start this thread for the purposes of sales, but more for "hey, did you know about this?" issue.

We have these motors priced at under $2k. It would seem that turning up the boost and not even replacing the injectors should get you possibly 340HP or so. Using a simple yet nice intercooler kit might cost another $600 or so.

So, you have $2,600 invested in a 340HP. Sell your left overs for $600.......bam, $2000.

We do agree with you that going from 3.5L to 3.0L if the blocks are the same and wanting over 350HP would not seem like the best bet.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:34 PM
bigcloud

I would do this swap on my 165k Z if i could pass emissions. I would send my vehicle there ASAP.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:48 PM
jerryd87

theres alot more to it then what your letting on even if the engine just bolts in and the trans bolts right up the flywheels are different from what im lookin at requiring a custom clutch setup possibly. the intakes are VASTLY different and may or may not fit in the car and the heads have differently shaped ports(ill admit the sight of it made me interested in the intake off one lol) have to deal with throttle body control. how would the ecu work with the can system so stock guages could be used(sure not a issue for me i wont have stock guages much longer but its important to others)...................... alot of questions and its not going to be a simple 2k and done.

for what it would cost i would say 2jz or lsx if you must swap might be a tad bit more expensive but better off since from what i found the internals are comparable to a hr, not a very large customer base at all and im willing to bet most would be doing it "just to be different"

not trying to crap on your thread its awesome you guys have em but lets be a little more honest you will have much more respect and customers that way on this forum, us FI guys tend to be blunt lol
Originally Posted by JGYMotorsports
(Rude G, sorry about the previous conversation, wrong meaning was relayed)

Well said. We do seem to do alot of "different" here based on customer's requests.

One of the issues we were looking into is the cost factor for more power.

Granted, we didn't start this thread for the purposes of sales, but more for "hey, did you know about this?" issue.

We have these motors priced at under $2k. It would seem that turning up the boost and not even replacing the injectors should get you possibly 340HP or so. Using a simple yet nice intercooler kit might cost another $600 or so.

So, you have $2,600 invested in a 340HP. Sell your left overs for $600.......bam, $2000.

We do agree with you that going from 3.5L to 3.0L if the blocks are the same and wanting over 350HP would not seem like the best bet.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Whats the redline on the cars the motor was used on?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:25 AM
jomamahama

Off topic- jerry, does anyone build 2jz swap kits? I can't stand the sound of an LS1.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:49 AM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Would the manifolds and piping be useful to someone trying to stitch together a budget VQ35DE single turbo kit?
Old 01-02-2013, 04:18 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Is this basically a 95-99 maxima motor with turbo?
Old 01-02-2013, 05:16 AM
06Gcoupin

FYI...The new Infiniti Q50 (New Generation G) is rumored to have a 3.0L Turbo V6 (Codenamed VQ30VDT)
Old 01-02-2013, 05:23 AM
revolvedZ

that's neat, send a link

Last edited by revolvedZ; 01-02-2013 at 05:24 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:19 AM
JGYMotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jerryd87
theres alot more to it then what your letting on even if the engine just bolts in and the trans bolts right up the flywheels are different from what im lookin at requiring a custom clutch setup possibly. the intakes are VASTLY different and may or may not fit in the car and the heads have differently shaped ports(ill admit the sight of it made me interested in the intake off one lol) have to deal with throttle body control. how would the ecu work with the can system so stock guages could be used(sure not a issue for me i wont have stock guages much longer but its important to others)...................... alot of questions and its not going to be a simple 2k and done.

not trying to crap on your thread its awesome you guys have em but lets be a little more honest you will have much more respect and customers that way on this forum, us FI guys tend to be blunt lol
Well said, and......this isn't a "FOR-SALE" thread We just tossed some prices out to help answer the question.

One of the guys just walked out and looked.....both the VQ35 and the VQ30 seem to have the exact block facing at the tranny including the CAS location.

If (not sure because we haven't gotten it apart) the intakes were able to be swapped, a person could use their electronics and their parts and have a turbo'd VQ for about the prices we said. Also, we are not sure if the turbo outlet comes in contact with the steering shaft. All this stuff is easily fixable.

But......to possibly help with this

JGY wouldn't do the job for $2000, not even close. We were implying in your garage with budget in mind, the $2000 might be attainable.

We have one here that's in the engine room, once it's apart, we will post some pics to shread some light on the truth.

Hawaii? cool, we are shipping some stuff out today to there
Old 01-02-2013, 06:22 AM
JGYMotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Lawn Dart
Would the manifolds and piping be useful to someone trying to stitch together a budget VQ35DE single turbo kit?
most definitely as the exhaust ports are the same

We think that's where the magic is in these motors is the issue of budget.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:23 AM
revolvedZ

i have heard you can swap the heads from the vq35 and put them on the vq30 block and use the drive-by-wire and entire wire harness/ecu from your 350z, just use something like uprev for tuning
Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 AM
jerryd87

i know a couple people are doing swaps but i think you would have to pay someone to do it. personally im perfectly ok with the built vq35
Originally Posted by jomamahama
Off topic- jerry, does anyone build 2jz swap kits? I can't stand the sound of an LS1.

Quick Reply: Vq30det!