Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

Vq30det!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 04:14 PM
boostedmaxima

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is your opinion on the reverse engineering?
-Going from electronic throttle back to cable
-You have to run a standalone because of the 3.0 timing, correct?
Old 01-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just an FYI, so that everyone knows what's going on here, this is not the same engine used in the JGTC cars.
Mid-2002, manufacturers participating in the GT500 class could use different production engine displacements for their respective brand's JGTC car. So, a team running a GT-R could use any Nissan engine displacement. This was coupled with a host of other changes that season, including the permitted use of trans-axles in cars not originally equipped with them. Nissan switched to the VQ from the successful RB for three reasons. First, the engine block (shaved and lightened in racing trim) saved 66 lbs from the front of the car. Second, the engine's mass could be placed closer to the firewall, and when coupled with a now-legal Hewland transaxle, this helped bring the car's weight balance F/R to 51.9/48.2 %. (The previous generation car held 56% of its weight over the front, for comparison.) The third reason is that 3 liters was the maximum displacement for a turbo car without further reduction in restrictor diameter and an increase in weight. Moving from 2.6 liters (RB) to 3 liters (VQ) saw no penalty in either restrictor diameter or weight. Using a 3.5 liter engine would have seen a penalty in both, and for no benefit since the series is capped by a 500 hp limit (easily achieved with 3 liters displacement). So, they switched to the VQ because it gave the team the best shot under the series' new restrictor/weight/configuration rules.
As to the engine itself, it was a VQ30 block casting, but with a different alloy than stock. According to Racecar Engineering, which ran a good article on the 2003 Nismo JGTC GT500 car, the block used more magnesium in the casting and was shaved in several areas to reduce weight. Also, the alloy had to be more rigid since the engine was now a semi-stressed member of the new chassis. The heads and all internals were completely different than stock. In fact, the heads employed a lot of the port and valve geometry learned from the VQ35 development. However, while the VQ35 heads had better port and valve geometry, the VQ35DE heads lacked the quench pads and combustion chamber design of the motorsport heads. This is why Nismo sold the RZZ heads for VQ35 motorsports use, since they remedied this issue, which was eventually incorporated to some degree in the new HR heads. In any case, the engine was severely modified from stock, and incorporated twin turbos. The engine was not developed by Nismo, either. The engine was actually developed by AER in cooperation with Nissan. The car was campaigned by Nismo, however, and once the engine development was complete, the engines were eventually built in Japan.
Food for thought. The article discussing all this can be found in the Sept 2003 issue of Racecar Engineering, btw.

Will
Old 01-11-2013, 06:56 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy crap dude! Let me help everyone else read this by breaking it up into a few paragraphs.

Originally Posted by Resolute
Just an FYI, so that everyone knows what's going on here, this is not the same engine used in the JGTC cars.
Mid-2002, manufacturers participating in the GT500 class could use different production engine displacements for their respective brand's JGTC car. So, a team running a GT-R could use any Nissan engine displacement. This was coupled with a host of other changes that season, including the permitted use of trans-axles in cars not originally equipped with them. Nissan switched to the VQ from the successful RB for three reasons.

First, the engine block (shaved and lightened in racing trim) saved 66 lbs from the front of the car. Second, the engine's mass could be placed closer to the firewall, and when coupled with a now-legal Hewland transaxle, this helped bring the car's weight balance F/R to 51.9/48.2 %. (The previous generation car held 56% of its weight over the front, for comparison.) The third reason is that 3 liters was the maximum displacement for a turbo car without further reduction in restrictor diameter and an increase in weight. Moving from 2.6 liters (RB) to 3 liters (VQ) saw no penalty in either restrictor diameter or weight. Using a 3.5 liter engine would have seen a penalty in both, and for no benefit since the series is capped by a 500 hp limit (easily achieved with 3 liters displacement). So, they switched to the VQ because it gave the team the best shot under the series' new restrictor/weight/configuration rules.

As to the engine itself, it was a VQ30 block casting, but with a different alloy than stock. According to Racecar Engineering, which ran a good article on the 2003 Nismo JGTC GT500 car, the block used more magnesium in the casting and was shaved in several areas to reduce weight. Also, the alloy had to be more rigid since the engine was now a semi-stressed member of the new chassis. The heads and all internals were completely different than stock. In fact, the heads employed a lot of the port and valve geometry learned from the VQ35 development.

However, while the VQ35 heads had better port and valve geometry, the VQ35DE heads lacked the quench pads and combustion chamber design of the motorsport heads. This is why Nismo sold the RZZ heads for VQ35 motorsports use, since they remedied this issue, which was eventually incorporated to some degree in the new HR heads.

In any case, the engine was severely modified from stock, and incorporated twin turbos. The engine was not developed by Nismo, either. The engine was actually developed by AER in cooperation with Nissan. The car was campaigned by Nismo, however, and once the engine development was complete, the engines were eventually built in Japan.
Food for thought. The article discussing all this can be found in the Sept 2003 issue of Racecar Engineering, btw.

Will
Old 01-13-2013, 11:49 AM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

for non sleeved motors the biggest thing is spun bearings, theres pretty much 5 things that can cause it one of them can be eliminated in 99.9% of cases(improper machining of journals) because most people wont be getting journals machined unless the previously spun a bearing.

the other 4 are dirt, oil starvation, to small of clearances for the amount of power being generated, or not using a thick enough oil for the clearances.

considering what the standard acl bearings put the clearances at im willing to put money that most of the spun bearing issues are from the clearances being too tight, since it puts them right around stock. sorry but .0013-.0023 is far too tight for how big our bearings are when your looking to put over 100 hp per cylinder on them most people who have built engines across several platforms will agree(most not all).

perfect example? i have 5k miles on my engine which isnt impressive but its alot more then numerous of these engines with spun bearings............... and i built it in my apartment parking lot, one of the worst places you can build because of wind and dirt flying around.

also not sure why people are talking about a beefier crank, show me a broken crank on here................... theres a reason the only aftermarket cranks are from the stroker kits your not gona break the thing.

Originally Posted by bigcloud
I used to own a 1998 Infiniti I30 and was also on maxima.org. The projects I saw from that site was phenominal. I guess for us Z guys for some reason our motors blow really easy. Where as I didn't see too many failures in the 3.0 and 3.5 FI maximas. It's really weird to say the least. I would love to get a VQ30DET up and running on my Z. Would make for a great car. Without all the fuss.....hopefully.

Last edited by jerryd87; 01-13-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:34 AM
JGYMotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by boostedmaxima
What is your opinion on the reverse engineering?
-Going from electronic throttle back to cable
-You have to run a standalone because of the 3.0 timing, correct?
We don't think cable is a back step of electronic. It's older technology. yes, but not a reverse progression of making power. Also, we weren't suggesting that. From what we were looking at, we were suggesting to stay electronic.

On the timing.............a guess...........we don't think so, we think you could use the factory stuff with an Uprev on it.

But......if you were to use a standalone..........heck, might as well use the throttle cable setup.

good questions!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:49 AM
JGYMotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

no doubt........as production motors rarely see themselves into these race series.....it's a faint memory of the motor

First, the engine block (shaved and lightened in racing trim) saved 66 lbs from the front of the car.

...and probably much more from the total of the car

Using a 3.5 liter engine would have seen a penalty in both, and for no benefit since the series is capped by a 500 hp limit (easily achieved with 3 liters displacement).

Well said!

So, they switched to the VQ because it gave the team the best shot under the series' new restrictor/weight/configuration rules.

way to read the rule book!

In fact, the heads employed a lot of the port and valve geometry learned from the VQ35 development.

We know some of the members won't like that.

In any case, the engine was severely modified from stock, and incorporated twin turbos. The engine was not developed by Nismo, either.

as is often the case in many race series
Old 01-14-2013, 03:35 PM
bigcloud

I'm 99% down with this swap. I just need to get the numbers i.e. costs in order
Old 02-03-2013, 01:01 AM
rodo

I have both a VQ30DET and a VQ35DE (350Z) at home
The first issue I can see if you want to put a VQ30DET in a 350Z is the exhaust cross over pipe which runs across the back of both heads - you need approx 4-5 inches gap in your 350Z firewall / chassis for it to work

Refer pics http://performanceforums.com/forums/...one-interested

You can bring the engine forward (if you have room - dont have a 350Z to look at) but then you will have issues with how the engine mounts are going to connect - its all very tight on the RHS with the turbo

Starter motor - VQ30DET is on the RHS of the engine - the 6 speed bellhousing cut out for the starter is on the LHS Some might want to swap the sump over 350Z onto VQ30 but remember the Turbo is on the LHS also right where the starter is - it may fit but it will be tight and you will need to protect it from the heat
The oil feed and return for the Turbo are in the VQ30 sump - so it would be good if you keep it - for my project car I'm using a 2WD 5 speed from a 2002 Pathfinder - bolts straight up and starter remains on the RHS

Turbo has a plastic compressor wheel and ceramic turbine which is not good for when you get the HP bug - The exhaust housing is unique also - see above link although lots of Garrett turbo centers will fit the unique housing

Heads are interchangable - the issue for me was the bore on the VQ30 is 93mm - 350Z is 95.5mm this means with 350 heads on the VQ30 the head gasket has 2.5mm or 1.25mm LESS each side of area for sealing combustion chamber gases

Variable cam timing (VCT)from the 350Z can be fitted to the VQ30 - I'm in the process of doing it - VQ30 pistons have to flycut to allow clearance for the increased and altered inlet valve timing and cam reference sensors machined into the back of the heads to work with the 350Z cams then all the 350Z timing covers front and rear will go onto the VQ30 ( refer maxima 4th gen for conversion)

Flywheels - all VQ30DET's are auto and the sensor on the flywheel only does RPM - there is another senor up the front of the sump which does all the cam position from a chopper wheel on the harmonic balance Whereas the 350Z does both functions at the flywheel

ECU If you DONT run VCT Nistune have a tuneable motherboard conversion and would be much like UpRev - for me with VCT I will be using all 350Z engine sensors so as I can tune it with UpRev (I think)

Hope this helps
Old 02-03-2013, 06:52 AM
bigcloud

Rodo thanks for the information. I've seen that link you posted before as I'm doing extensive research on the VQ30DET as well. Have you started your build yet? PM me with how far you've gotten. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:03 AM
jerryd87

really confused my starter is on the rhs not lhs mayby your thinking backwards? passanger side is always rhs on automobiles. also my 6 speed had cutouts to put the starter on either side if i wanted? only thing is you would definitely run into steering colume issues on the z.

as far as oil feed and return its easy enough to use a oil pan spacer(and actually a good idea for the additional oil) and it requires a single T fitting to get oil from the block where the oil pressure sensor is(if its in the same location as the vq35)

finally the 350z dosnt determine cam position from the flywheel, it only does crank position. cam position comes from the sensors in the back of the head and rpm signal comes from the ecu interpreting both. crank sensor or both cam sensors go and the engine wont run because it wont see a rpm signal i know from experience.

as far as tuning if your using the 350z ecu you will be able to use uprev. the sensors dont matter its all about the ecu for program-ability no idea if the vq30 ecu supports it unless you plan on using the dbw system i would consider one of the older haltechs(i know theres at least one or two in market place right now.

i would have to look again but i believe the obd2 port also connects to the bcm and talks to the ecu over can so that could pose some problems as well trying to use uprev
Old 02-03-2013, 12:54 PM
bigcloud

Hey Jerry. If i go this route i will be using the VQ35 heads as they bolt right up to the VQ30det block. That and exhaust components and turbo are the only pieces from the Vq30det will be used.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:53 PM
jerryd87

i did look at the wiring diagram and there is a pin that connects the obd2 port to every module but not sure how much information is passed on it. i imagine most of it is sent over the can lines which also connect. using this engine with vq35 heads in a z should work but trying osiris in a non z platform might be problematic if the ecu cant communicate over can.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:01 AM
JGYMotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

great info jerry!! thanks for chiming in! we figured something would have to be done with the manifold deal, either re route the turbo to the other side if space was a issue, or just re-fab the cross over pipe.

but again ,its awesome to know there is someone else out there playing around with this!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:32 AM
jasonG35

Originally Posted by rodo
I have both a VQ30DET and a VQ35DE (350Z) at home
The first issue I can see if you want to put a VQ30DET in a 350Z is the exhaust cross over pipe which runs across the back of both heads - you need approx 4-5 inches gap in your 350Z firewall / chassis for it to work

Refer pics http://performanceforums.com/forums/...one-interested

You can bring the engine forward (if you have room - dont have a 350Z to look at) but then you will have issues with how the engine mounts are going to connect - its all very tight on the RHS with the turbo

Starter motor - VQ30DET is on the RHS of the engine - the 6 speed bellhousing cut out for the starter is on the LHS Some might want to swap the sump over 350Z onto VQ30 but remember the Turbo is on the LHS also right where the starter is - it may fit but it will be tight and you will need to protect it from the heat
The oil feed and return for the Turbo are in the VQ30 sump - so it would be good if you keep it - for my project car I'm using a 2WD 5 speed from a 2002 Pathfinder - bolts straight up and starter remains on the RHS

Turbo has a plastic compressor wheel and ceramic turbine which is not good for when you get the HP bug - The exhaust housing is unique also - see above link although lots of Garrett turbo centers will fit the unique housing

Heads are interchangable - the issue for me was the bore on the VQ30 is 93mm - 350Z is 95.5mm this means with 350 heads on the VQ30 the head gasket has 2.5mm or 1.25mm LESS each side of area for sealing combustion chamber gases

Variable cam timing (VCT)from the 350Z can be fitted to the VQ30 - I'm in the process of doing it - VQ30 pistons have to flycut to allow clearance for the increased and altered inlet valve timing and cam reference sensors machined into the back of the heads to work with the 350Z cams then all the 350Z timing covers front and rear will go onto the VQ30 ( refer maxima 4th gen for conversion)

Flywheels - all VQ30DET's are auto and the sensor on the flywheel only does RPM - there is another senor up the front of the sump which does all the cam position from a chopper wheel on the harmonic balance Whereas the 350Z does both functions at the flywheel

ECU If you DONT run VCT Nistune have a tuneable motherboard conversion and would be much like UpRev - for me with VCT I will be using all 350Z engine sensors so as I can tune it with UpRev (I think)

Hope this helps
?what?
there is a gap at the back of the 350z and the crossover pipe is not 4inch (I'm editing this. I went out and looked and see what you mean. It IS about that far.

most GM turbo trucks have the turbo and starter close, so that won't matter

All RB25's have turbo's like you describe and can hold boost for ever, but if you are turning up the boost, you can go to about 15psi.....above that you don't make anymore power anyway......so you would want to change the turbo/injectors/maf past that point

gasket? for years Greddy has sold 88.5mm gaskets to be used on 86mm SR heads........no problems, so you will be fine'

as for the flywheel........use the 350z one

as for the Nistune, their marketing structure discount is horrible, I like the Uprev and the product support more.

I really don't think you brought any problems to the table.........other than IF the turbo outlet pipe hits the steering shaft.
We have the same problem right now at work and we are making a turbo outlet so that this RB25 can fit this S14.

I missed it, what car are you putting yours in?

Last edited by jasonG35; 02-04-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:28 AM
rodo

I want to introduce you to VQ30DET's little brother VQ25DET thats right a 2.5ltr engine
Scotty lives not far from me and here is his ride
Go 3/4's of the way down the page until you see the turbo and then the dyno graphs 308RWKW is 411RWHP next page has 347kw is 465RWHP
He says the engine remains unopened and all he has done is external work - turbo - intercooler - injectors - exhaust - and endless tuning
I asked him about cams if he had changed them - thats when he said no the engine is unopened and the cams are STD at 7.5mm lift
Good effort for 2.5 ltr
The car is AWD and weighs in at over 2000kgs - hardly a drag car

http://etuner.com.au/smf/index.php?topic=25.0

Enjoy

The turbo (size) is going to further impact on the steering clearance issues

Jerryd87 - Starters I think we are on the same page - take your pick sitting in the drivers seat looking forward or standing at the flyweel looking forward over the engine - left is left ect
Can only go by parts book here - 350Z - starter on LHS
http://www.courtesyparts.com/350z-pa...5_743_750.html

Upon relooking at the 6 speed yes yur right it has 2 cut out left and right for a starter (seniors moment on my behalf - sorry) so again 2002 Pathfinder starter should work - make sure you look at the 2nd pic
http://www.courtesyparts.com/pathfin...4731_4738.html
Old 02-07-2013, 01:08 AM
rodo

OK so no one liked that bit of info - next
The very last picture in the article - of the engine bay in here http://www.performancecar.co.nz/arti...ht-crawler-137
shows a round aluminium thing to the left and rear of the air cleaner
Doesnt look like air con compressor - what do you guys think it is ??
It does confirm that a VQ30DET will fit n work in a 350Z albeit is Right Hand Drive
Old 02-07-2013, 04:23 AM
bigcloud

Rodo trust me I loved your information! Keep it coming!
Old 02-07-2013, 04:54 AM
JGYMotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

that would be the turbo, this guy re made the manifolds... to something more similar to a "momentum" style kit.

and no we all love the info! more the merrier!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:28 AM
jasonG35

Originally Posted by rodo
OK so no one liked that bit of info - next
The very last picture in the article - of the engine bay in here http://www.performancecar.co.nz/arti...ht-crawler-137
shows a round aluminium thing to the left and rear of the air cleaner
Doesnt look like air con compressor - what do you guys think it is ??
It does confirm that a VQ30DET will fit n work in a 350Z albeit is Right Hand Drive
Yeah! for the 2 RHD 350z's here, this is awesome

all jokes aside, same question again (although, I might not be reading your first post correctly)

1. what car are you putting your VQ30DET in?

this is more of a statement........... you do realize, what we were suggesting is not using the "J" pipe from the turbo and making one to clear the steering shaft...... we do these all the time on RB and SR cars
Old 03-02-2013, 11:01 PM
NiZMo1o1

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
Nobody I know in the Tuner world would touch those with a 10 ft pole. Including import Intelligence for example who did my last motor swap. Matt Waldon saw my boy fussing with a TT in a NA 300ZX and just shook his head and said ew those are a pain. Granted when all was said and done the thing ran on a stock NA ecu (temp) and passed emissions lol it was tight in a 300 so not sure if it will be any different on a Z33. I'd say ur better off boosting a tired vq35 with a single turbo then wasting good time on a 30 swap.
....http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/show...ed-R34-Skyline....

sure stock block holding up 500whp

And you get can the motors for a under 1K setup for boost already.

Last edited by NiZMo1o1; 03-02-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Vq30det!