Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Personalizing a 350Z?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 01:06 AM
Zet3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Personalizing a 350Z?

The 350Z is a great sports car. Especially for the money. I think it has aged really well too. But you know how it is. We always like to personalize our cars.

I took a look around and didn't see anything I liked. So I wanted to ask here. Is there a body kit which doesn't look like a body kit? What I mean by that is are there body kits which don't make the car look like a street racer, ricer etc? Something that could look OEM or as if the car came that way? Something that looks integrated and part of the car as opposed to just stick on skirts, aprons and lips. Something classy rather than just aggressive.

I know the 350Z looks just great as is. But after so many years...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Zet3; 09-18-2018 at 01:09 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:30 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,063 Likes on 751 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

As far as body kit suggestions, everyone has their own tastes and preferences. What one may consider "ricey," others may not. If you're looking for something that Nissan designed, then look at the Nismo V2 or V3.

Look in the exterior & interior subforum. This topic has been covered many times.
The following users liked this post:
Zet3 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 05:54 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Here's my idea of personalization for my '03 pre-order track model: NISMO V1 kit, BBS wheels and polished Stillen TD exhaust. But the REAL personalization is underneath, with shocks, springs and swaybars that provide more neutral handling at the limit. Engine remains the good, 'ol reliable VQ35DE.
The following 2 users liked this post by dkmura:
MicVelo (09-18-2018), Zet3 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 07:11 AM
Zet3

Originally Posted by dkmura

Here's my idea of personalization for my '03 pre-order track model: NISMO V1 kit, BBS wheels and polished Stillen TD exhaust. But the REAL personalization is underneath, with shocks, springs and swaybars that provide more neutral handling at the limit. Engine remains the good, 'ol reliable VQ35DE.
I like the very discreet rear trunk spoiler. Nice.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:06 PM
Zet3

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Welcome to the forum.

As far as body kit suggestions, everyone has their own tastes and preferences. What one may consider "ricey," others may not. If you're looking for something that Nissan designed, then look at the Nismo V2 or V3.

Look in the exterior & interior subforum. This topic has been covered many times.
I posted a reply to you several hours ago but it's not showing. Moderators? Maybe it was the pictures? I tried posting pictures of what I consider ricer kits.

But you are right. But I think a good guideline is, the more aggressive and full of edges and wings the more ricey it looks in my opinion. It doesn't need to be a Nissan kit though. For example I'm not a fan of the Nismo rear end. Don't like the big wing or the boxy diffuser. Actually I would not like anything with a big wing on the back or a front lip almost touching the ground. I have no intention of making the car excessively low either.

I would like something more classy or classic With more round line rather than wings and air vents everywhere. I hope this helps to give a better idea of what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Last edited by Zet3; 09-18-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:34 PM
SpartaEvolution

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Zet3
I posted a reply to you several hours ago but it's not showing. Moderators? Maybe it was the pictures? I tried posting pictures of what I consider ricer kits.

But you are right. But I think a good guideline is, the more aggressive and full of edges and wings the more ricey it looks in my opinion. It doesn't need to be a Nissan kit though. For example I'm not a fan of the Nismo rear end. Don't like the big wing or the boxy diffuser. Actually I would not like anything with a big wing on the back or a front lip almost touching the ground. I have no intention of making the car excessively low either.

I would like something more classy or classic With more round line rather than wings and air vents everywhere. I hope this helps to give a better idea of what I'm looking for. Thanks.

A decent drop and some well fitting wheels do a LOT to freshen up the look of an otherwise stock Z (or pretty much any other car). You don't have to go too low, but a modest set of lowering springs on OE shocks can really make a difference in how the car looks. If you don't want to invest in aftermarket wheels, a set of 20-25mm spacers will help push your wheels out to sit 'flush' with the body for a more aggressive/sporty look. You might also check your local craigslist for people selling other OE Z wheels, you might find a style you like better for a much more modest price (vs aftermarket). After that, I'll piggyback what DK said and recommend a set of swaybars as well - doesn't change the looks but makes a BIG difference in handling with almost no downside.

Last edited by SpartaEvolution; 09-18-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Zet3 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 12:43 PM
Zet3

Originally Posted by SpartaEvolution
A decent drop and some well fitting wheels do a LOT to freshen up the look of an otherwise stock Z (or pretty much any other car). You don't have to go too low, but a modest set of lowering springs on OE shocks can really make a difference in how the car looks. If you don't want to invest in aftermarket wheels, a set of 20-25mm spacers will help push your wheels out to sit 'flush' with the body for a more aggressive/sporty look. You might also check your local craigslist for people selling other OE Z wheels, you might find a style you like better for a much more modest price (vs aftermarket). After that, I'll piggyback what DK said and recommend a set of swaybars as well - doesn't change the looks but makes a BIG difference in handling with almost no downside.
What is the little downside then? Now I'm curious.

I agree with you about lowering it a little and new wheels. But I would like a little more than that.

Last edited by Zet3; 09-18-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:27 PM
SpartaEvolution

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

What is the little downside then? Now I'm curious.

I agree with you about lowering it a little and new wheels. But I would like a little more than that.
Not to derail the thread, buuuuuut:

The benefit of installing a stiffer swaybar is that it allows the car to stay flatter through the corners by transferring some of the load from the outside suspension over to the inside suspension. The downside is that it will also transfer more load if you're driving along and hit a bump with only one side of the car. You won't notice anything going over speed bumps in the mall parking lot, but if you're hitting large enough bumps at speed it will make a difference.

There's a section of highway on my commute that has a series of dips on the far left side of the lane. If I had to guess I'd say there are 5 dips, each 10-15 ft long, 40-50 ft apart, and no more than 2" deep (I405 SB HOV lane just after the tolls end in Bellevue, for any locals). When I was on OE swaybars, I would feel the dips but not really think anything of them because the left suspension had no problem dealing with them (left suspension would compress and rebound without really effecting the chassis). Once I installed stiffer swaybars, it was immediately noticeable that the left suspension could no longer quickly react relative to the right suspension, so instead of the left wheel just going up and down over the bumps, the entire left side of the car was going up and down with the right wheels being the 'pivot' point so to speak. If the dips were across the whole lane the sways would make no difference. This is the only place I've noticed a difference, and the only downside I've ever encountered. Definitely worth the trade-off in my opinion.
Zet3 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 12:05 PM
Zet3

Thanks for the explanation.

About the body kit, I have been exhaustively looking online. Can't find anything like what I have in mind. Basically a smooth lines kit. With a more rounded look. Maybe similar to 60's sports car type of thing. Like D-Type or E-type, for lack of a better example. But round and smooth instead of aggressive and edgy. Anybody know of anything like that for the 350Z? Thanks
Old 09-19-2018, 01:55 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

I've ran the entire INGS LX kit (except spoiler) for about 10 years and everyone loves it and say it's subtle and clean... it also flow with the body line. Good luck on your search.

The following 3 users liked this post by stogey420time:
BigBlue (09-19-2018), blufc3s (09-21-2018), Zet3 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 02:02 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by stogey420time
I've ran the entire INGS LX kit (except spoiler) for about 10 years and everyone loves it and say it's subtle and clean... it also flow with the body line. Good luck on your search.

I'm not a body kit person but Stogey's car, wow, in the MicTop10 for sure.

I've bought a bumper, spoilers (plural) front and rear, side splats and actually just picked up another OE Track rear in CF (got a great price on it) but have NEVER installed a single one. So afraid to mess up the lines that I love!

Hmmmm, might have a few body parts for sale when I clean up the garage after my S30 is gone. Hahahaha.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:18 PM
Zet3

This is indeed very nice and subtle. It's not a different bumper cover right? The kit is just the under part? Skirts, apron and lip? And a new rear spoiler of course. Looks nice and completes the car and you have to pay attention to actually see it. Blends in very nicely.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:20 PM
Zet3

I think as close to stock as above is probably best indeed. Is there a different front bumper cover which looks similar to stock but has a bigger air dam opening? Or maybe a more round air dam opening? Thanks.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:19 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
I'm not a body kit person but Stogey's car, wow, in the MicTop10 for sure.
Thanks for the props Mic! My car is just a small piece of the pie compared to all the awesome builds here.

This is indeed very nice and subtle. It's not a different bumper cover right? The kit is just the under part? Skirts, apron and lip?
The front lip and rear bumper are plug on over the stock bumper so you'll have OEM fitment.
The side skirts are a full replacement... so you'll have to remove the OEM side skirt and replace it with this.
The rear spoiler - I would've gotten one to complete the entire theme but it requires you to remove the rear Nissan emblem and I didn't like that. I use that emblem as a handle to close my hatch when my car is waxed nice and clean.

I am not sure if there are front bumper cover which looks similar to stock with bigger air dam openings but you can install these dual air ducts on your stock bumper. You'll need to cut into your bumper fyi.
Good luck...

Last edited by stogey420time; 09-19-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Zet3 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 05:02 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Thanks for the props Mic! My car is just a small piece of the pie compared to all the awesome builds here.
Credit where credit's due. The subtlety of the body mods is what I like.... not over the top and still clean. Plus, a well kept car, no matter what mods or stock is always appreciated. I appreciate all the awesomeness here too, most just not what I'd probably drive; but great on the eyes.

Gotta remember, I'm the guy who had two semi-over-the-top Nismos and while I loved them, always felt a little, uh, obnoxious, driving them. Not denigrating anyone at all... I mean, just that I's old and people probably said, "Ehhhh, guy can't grow old gracefully.... should be driving a Mercedes not a boy racer." Laff....

Last edited by MicVelo; 09-19-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:22 AM
Zet3

The front lip and rear bumper are plug on over the stock bumper so you'll have OEM fitment.
The side skirts are a full replacement... so you'll have to remove the OEM side skirt and replace it with this.
The rear spoiler - I would've gotten one to complete the entire theme but it requires you to remove the rear Nissan emblem and I didn't like that. I use that emblem as a handle to close my hatch when my car is waxed nice and clean.

I am not sure if there are front bumper cover which looks similar to stock with bigger air dam openings but you can install these dual air ducts on your stock bumper. You'll need to cut into your bumper fyi.
Good luck...

Thanks. Not sure I like the openings.

But the bumper doesn't have to look 100% stock. As long as it's not over the top and has a larger air dam.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:45 AM
Zet3

Something like a Nismo 2 bumper cover without the lower lip wings could maybe work. The air dam seems larger? Are the lower lip wings detachable or part of the bumper?

Old 09-20-2018, 01:58 AM
Zet3

The Amuse GT bumper could also work, if it didn't have the lower wings and very low lip.

Just trying to show people what I'm looking for. Maybe it rings a bell. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:30 AM
Zet3

Originally Posted by MicVelo
So afraid to mess up the lines that I love!

Your car is superb. I also love the clean lines of the Z. Which is why I was thinking of replacing the front bumper cover and adding a discreet trunk spoiler only but no full body kit. Although Stogey's kit is very well integrated.

I always liked cars with clean lines. I'm one of the people for example who prefer the original Countach without the huge wing and ground effects over the later ones. I like clean lines a lot.

One of the things I like about current cars is that the "body kit" comes already sculpted on the car. Back in the 80's, 90's and 2000's the aero was glued on. Nowadays the skirt is already part of the metal body and sculpted in the door etc.The grooves, trunk spoiler, lip etc are all already sculpted on the metal, instead of being a plastic piece glued on. All integrated. This makes the car sleeker IMO.

If I could find a front bumper which rounded the front of the 350Z a bit and would flow with the original skirt I would be a happy owner. I don't really need a full body kit.

These types of cars with pretty and clean lines was always what I liked:

As opposed to something like an Aventador, which is way too buy and edgy for me.

So the natural lines of the Z are in the category above IMO. I would just like a slightly different front bumper to set it apart.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:37 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,063 Likes on 751 Posts

Something like a Nismo 2 bumper cover without the lower lip wings could maybe work. The air dam seems larger? Are the lower lip wings detachable or part of the bumper?
The lower splitter/lip is part of the bumper so you can't remove it.

Well, I guess you could if you like to do body work

You previously mentioned a "larger" air dam. Not sure if you want that for looks or performance gains. The V2 comes with a scoop that you install on the crash bar which directs air to the intake.

Last edited by Heel Til I Die; 09-20-2018 at 06:41 AM.
Zet3 (09-24-2018)

Quick Reply: Personalizing a 350Z?