Old 02-21-2019, 08:47 AM
NaaNee00

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Which one should I get?

So I was looking today, and found these two items that seem interesting:

http://speedforceracing.com/product/...take-manifold/
https://whiteheadperformance.com/pro...50z-g35-03-07/

1) I was wondering whether or not they are good prices and
2) What's the difference between the two?

If you have any other recommendations on items that I should get, please let me know.
Thank you.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:17 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

You’re gonna put $3k into an intake for what purpose?

what other modifications do you have on the vehicle right now?

verify that these are available - I haven’t seen a cosworth plenum available in years...

Last edited by bealljk; 02-21-2019 at 09:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NaaNee00 (02-25-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 07:20 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

It's difficult and expensive to get more power out of a VQ35. Most people focus on the experience, whether it's sticky tires and lighter wheels, better cornering with heavier sways or simply a new Nav/Sound system. It's your car, but that's where I'd start. GL!
NaaNee00 (02-25-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 03:01 AM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

The speed force racing twin intake is for a HR. The Cosworth is for a DE. What engine do you have and go from there. IF you have an HR there is an adapter to run the oem GTR plenum its less than 3k but not by much FYI. There was a guy on here who spend the money to test this out and he made less power with the GTR plenum than he did his HR plenum. I'm not sure if he ever ended up selling it or not, but i do recall it being for sale.
NaaNee00 (02-25-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 04:23 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Conway_160
The speed force racing twin intake is for a HR. The Cosworth is for a DE. What engine do you have and go from there. IF you have an HR there is an adapter to run the oem GTR plenum its less than 3k but not by much FYI. There was a guy on here who spend the money to test this out and he made less power with the GTR plenum than he did his HR plenum. I'm not sure if he ever ended up selling it or not, but i do recall it being for sale.
I think it bolts up to a DE and they provide everything to run dual TBs. Its ambiguous and isnt clear. Are you seeing that it’s only for the HR?
Old 02-22-2019, 07:00 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by NaaNee00
So I was looking today, and found these two items that seem interesting:

http://speedforceracing.com/product/...take-manifold/
https://whiteheadperformance.com/pro...50z-g35-03-07/

1) I was wondering whether or not they are good prices and
2) What's the difference between the two?

If you have any other recommendations on items that I should get, please let me know.
Thank you.
Originally Posted by bealljk

I think it bolts up to a DE and they provide everything to run dual TBs. Its ambiguous and isnt clear. Are you seeing that it’s only for the HR?

That Speed Force web page indicates its a swap for DE. My questions surround how this all interfaces with the stock ECM and throttle system. That isn't clear on the web page and its all marketing words with no technical data. Is there a piggyback to the second TB? How are signals routed, etc? Dyno charts? Would need to see where the gains are, not just "It makes more power." Ehhhh, marketing hyperbole. (Sorry, I'm a sales guy - where realistic gains are king; marketing fluff is the fodder for dreamer threads.) IOW, show me.

The Cosworth unit has this attached to the description:"AVAILABLE BY SPECIAL ORDER ONLY. 2-3 MONTHS DELIVERY TIME"

I think that means: "It ain't made yet but if we get enough orders, maybe we can fund a manufacturing run." Been there, burned by that promise before. (Not suggesting anything wrong with Whitehead, a good source of products, especially North of the US) just saying I've seen that line before. "3 months" generally means "3 years", if ever. Earlier suggestion to verify availability is spot on!

===============

Do I sound skeptical? You bet! Seen it all before. And I work in the land of smoke and mirrors where reality is, if you don't clear the smoke and show a real product, you die and there's a lot of investors who won't hesitate to blackball you in the valley.

S'far as this thread itself, without any specifics on the application, supporting data, other build info; its just another DT. Like someone saying, "Go get some chips while you're at the store." But with no specifics... "Uhhhhhhh.... potato, corn? BBQ, sea salt, Jalapeno-peanut butter? what are you serving them with?? Guacamole? Lichee martinis?"

Last edited by MicVelo; 02-22-2019 at 07:10 AM.
NaaNee00 (02-25-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 05:26 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

The pics if you look closely are in fact the DE timing cover. So i was wrong. I watch the YouTube video of " Turbo Tim's" Z ,shot in 240p...FYI, and in the comments Speed Force said its Stock Ecu tuned with SSbox.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:42 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

^I know 240p ... talk about a horrible marketing tool!

other than the headlights I couldnt tell it was a DE...
Old 02-25-2019, 08:30 AM
NaaNee00

As of right now, I have no mods, I don't even know where to start. They said start on the CAI, headers and back; pretty much get better air flow.

What order should I do it in? Headers / Exhuast / TB's / intake manifold / turbos? What else is needed? Brakes, trans upgrade, frame upgrades?
Old 02-25-2019, 08:31 AM
NaaNee00

Do you recommend buying used on Amazon? Or buy everything new?
Old 02-25-2019, 08:32 AM
NaaNee00

My car is an 08 base. It's an HR. They said start on the CAI, headers and back; pretty much get better air flow.

What order should I do it in? Headers / Exhuast / TB's / intake manifold / turbos? What else is needed? Brakes, trans upgrade, frame upgrades?
Old 02-25-2019, 08:46 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

dont waste your time with headers, PITA install for very minimal gains
NaaNee00 (02-26-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 09:18 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by NaaNee00
I don't even know where to start.
This being said … you are in the right place and it appears you have the right attitude towards this - but let me reiterate:

A. Be as humble as you possibly can when dealing with anyone on this forum, don't argue with anyone.
B. Assume everyone knows significantly more than you do and your sole purpose here is to learn. Assume your knowledge base is zero.
C. However thick your skin is, double it … you gotta have thick skin - like F'n thick!!!!
D. However thick your skull is, soften it up … plan on learning from the experience of people on this forum.
E. If multiple people tell you the best way to do something is xyz … than just know the best way to do it is xyz -

That being said -

#1 - see what other people have done on their HRs to pick-up power … it probably wont be much, it'll be expensive, and probably not worth it - but that's never stopped any of us!

#2 - scope out Z1 motorsports website and see what power adder packages they offer for the HR. Then use this forum to search those upgrades on members cars. See what works and see what doesn't.

#3 - make a 5year plan for your car. What does your car look like in 2024. Once you've made that plan you can take small steps to get there. Baby steps - small, one-day-at-a-time baby steps. Rome wasn't built in a day.

It would be wise to start a build thread for your car. Anything related to your car goes in this thread. Ask questions, post up pictures, get feedback, share your highlights & lowlights. Members will subscribe to your thread and help you along the way.

Don't start multiple threads - just one thread. Here's mine for example:
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...win-build.html

Last edited by bealljk; 02-25-2019 at 09:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bealljk:
NaaNee00 (02-26-2019), timeltel (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 09:38 AM
Thatbad350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rather than boosting your HR i have only found that test pipes and a dyno tune get the most HP for the cost. With a tune where i live and test pipes i will only spend around $650. vq's take alot of money to get them high HP or a good amount of HP for the money put in.
NaaNee00 (02-27-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 09:53 AM
travlee
Master

here is what i did to mine, and only got 289 whp on a mustang dyno (baseline was 274). could the tune have been more aggressive, yeah prob

takeda intakes - $327
md art pipes- $620
md tdx2 - $1650
tune - $700

so.... almost $3300 for 15 whp.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:56 AM
travlee
Master

when i had the vette

intake, heads, long tube headers, axle back, and tune it was approx $8k, and i got 50whp.

getting hp makes the dollars add up.
NaaNee00 (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 03:52 AM
NaaNee00

Originally Posted by travlee
when i had the vette

intake, heads, long tube headers, axle back, and tune it was approx $8k, and i got 50whp.

getting hp makes the dollars add up.
Yea I figured, my car is just something I'm going to keep for a lifetime, and along the way I'll drop a couple here and there to slowly work my way up. I don't plan on selling my car ever, I absolutely love it and it was always my dream car.

What's your reccomendations on workshops? I live near Woodward, Detroit, and there's a "muscle car" workshop called Woodward Autos (they 90% work on muscle cars, they have installed open headers on my brothers mustang GT), should I have them install stuff or do it myself for the experience? I plan on doing simple things like a CAI and exhausts by myself, but I think headers or anything deep inside would be too much for me. Thoughts?
Old 02-26-2019, 04:08 AM
travlee
Master

i said i would never sell the 350, or the z06... but you see now i am in a cadi

seriously, look up header install on the nissan, it is a huge PITA it took one guy a full weekend, it is almost easier to remove the motor to install them

Old 02-26-2019, 04:24 AM
NaaNee00

Originally Posted by bealljk
This being said … you are in the right place and it appears you have the right attitude towards this - but let me reiterate:

That being said -

#1 - see what other people have done on their HRs to pick-up power … it probably wont be much, it'll be expensive, and probably not worth it - but that's never stopped any of us!

#2 - scope out Z1 motorsports website and see what power adder packages they offer for the HR. Then use this forum to search those upgrades on members cars. See what works and see what doesn't.

#3 - make a 5year plan for your car. What does your car look like in 2024. Once you've made that plan you can take small steps to get there. Baby steps - small, one-day-at-a-time baby steps. Rome wasn't built in a day.

It would be wise to start a build thread for your car. Anything related to your car goes in this thread. Ask questions, post up pictures, get feedback, share your highlights & lowlights. Members will subscribe to your thread and help you along the way.

Don't start multiple threads - just one thread. Here's mine for example:
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...win-build.html

Thanks! I would like to say that I have stumbled across your thread a few weeks ago
I will gladly make a thread for myself (its a great idea!)

I have gone through a ton of posts on here and some people are relentless with their comments, I'm not taking any offense from them. They have their own thing, I have my own thing.
That being said, I still their comments into consideration when planning on what to do (like you said, they probably and most definitely do have more experience than I do)

My 5 year plan? I want a sick track car with at least 500HP; I know it'll cost a **** ton of money but I really don't care. I'll say the same thing I said in my last comment, my 350z is my baby and it's my dream car, I'm going to keep it forever and I'm just going to drop a few dimes here and there to work my way up.

Before spring, I think I'm installing a CAI, a test pipe, and a y pipe. Sound good or nah?
Old 02-26-2019, 04:26 AM
NaaNee00

Originally Posted by travlee
i said i would never sell the 350, or the z06... but you see now i am in a cadi

seriously, look up header install on the nissan, it is a huge PITA it took one guy a full weekend, it is almost easier to remove the motor to install them
I wasn't saying you told me to sell it, I was just informing you for future reference. My friend has a Chrysler 300, V6 or V8 I don't know

Quick Reply: Which one should I get?