Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

HR trans bell housing on a CD009?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 07:27 AM
GwitUhZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HR trans bell housing on a CD009?

Hey what’s up everyone.

Soon I’ll be doing a tranny swap on my 07 HR but there’s one problem. These transmissions are relatively hard to find around my area, and for a good price.
I have my old bell housing from my stock trans that blew awhile ago, I’m wondering if I’ll be able to buy a CD009 and swap the bell housings on them to fit my HR. It sounds good in my head, how’s it sound in yours haha?
Please chime in if you feel like it, it’s always appreciate my friends.
Thanks for your time.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:54 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by GwitUhZ
Hey what’s up everyone.

Soon I’ll be doing a tranny swap on my 07 HR but there’s one problem. These transmissions are relatively hard to find around my area, and for a good price.
I have my old bell housing from my stock trans that blew awhile ago, I’m wondering if I’ll be able to buy a CD009 and swap the bell housings on them to fit my HR. It sounds good in my head, how’s it sound in yours haha?
Please chime in if you feel like it, it’s always appreciate my friends.
Thanks for your time.
It can be done. But that's about where the simplicity of the swap ends. I'll say up front that I've not done this personally but there's a lot of info on the 180-degree different swap... Most of the swaps I've seen or read about involved going the other way, later HR/VHR tranny swaps into earlier DE. But I'd guess that the same difficulties would be encountered going the other way. There's a really good thread on here with that (HR onto DE) swap detailed. Do a couple searches and you should find it. It was from about 2011-2012 as I recall.

Essentially, there are incompatibility issues beyond just the bell housing bolt pattern: input shaft is different, shaft bearings (main and reverse I think), concentric slave cylinder vs external (and that ties into the input shaft issue again), etc.

I've not done it but I'd surmise that swapping a like-for-like JK trans (which is what's in the '07 and '08+ HR cars, NOT CD009) from a similar car or possibly a later EA trans from a Z34 would be much easier (assuming you conquer the sourcing issue).

If you do this, I'm in for results. I'm strongly considering finally getting around to swapping out my '03 tranny (with 3rd gear gronk issue) and while I have a line on a low mileage CD00A (successor to the CD009) or would just buy a new one, options to swap from a later model would be interesting (even though you're going the other direction). Good luck!

EDIT: Here's the article I was referring to..... https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...onversion.html

I just skimmed back through it and wow.... no thanks. Somehow I doubt that the reverse swap you're considering is any easier... With enough time and ingenuity (like what was detailed in that thread), like I said at the start, "It can be done." BUT...

Last edited by MicVelo; 05-24-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:41 AM
GwitUhZ

Originally Posted by MicVelo
It can be done. But that's about where the simplicity of the swap ends. I'll say up front that I've not done this personally but there's a lot of info on the 180-degree different swap... Most of the swaps I've seen or read about involved going the other way, later HR/VHR tranny swaps into earlier DE. But I'd guess that the same difficulties would be encountered going the other way. There's a really good thread on here with that (HR onto DE) swap detailed. Do a couple searches and you should find it. It was from about 2011-2012 as I recall.

Essentially, there are incompatibility issues beyond just the bell housing bolt pattern: input shaft is different, shaft bearings (main and reverse I think), concentric slave cylinder vs external (and that ties into the input shaft issue again), etc.

I've not done it but I'd surmise that swapping a like-for-like JK trans (which is what's in the '07 and '08+ HR cars, NOT CD009) from a similar car or possibly a later EA trans from a Z34 would be much easier (assuming you conquer the sourcing issue).

If you do this, I'm in for results. I'm strongly considering finally getting around to swapping out my '03 tranny (with 3rd gear gronk issue) and while I have a line on a low mileage CD00A (successor to the CD009) or would just buy a new one, options to swap from a later model would be interesting (even though you're going the other direction). Good luck!

EDIT: Here's the article I was referring to..... https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...onversion.html

I just skimmed back through it and wow.... no thanks. Somehow I doubt that the reverse swap you're considering is any easier... With enough time and ingenuity (like what was detailed in that thread), like I said at the start, "It can be done." BUT...
Ahhh man I really thought this would have been a fairly quick and easy swap. But then again, we’re talking VQs haha. I really appreciate you going in depth and even sending me a link for reference!!

Thinking about the long run (hopefully short), I decided I might try to do an automatic swap since I’m really considering doing a ls 5.3/5.7 swap later on. If I throw an auto in it that means I’ll save on the price difference of a manual tranny, flywheel, and a clutch kit. That money later on can be used for the t56 swap. Plus, I want the swap to be started within 5months so there’s really no reason to buy a new clutch/flywheel. Honestly I don’t really have this all planned out but this makes sense to me.

Ill do a search for info on a manual to automatic swap, but if you have any information you know that’s make me a really happy guy.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:02 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by GwitUhZ
Ahhh man I really thought this would have been a fairly quick and easy swap. But then again, we’re talking VQs haha. I really appreciate you going in depth and even sending me a link for reference!!

Thinking about the long run (hopefully short), I decided I might try to do an automatic swap since I’m really considering doing a ls 5.3/5.7 swap later on. If I throw an auto in it that means I’ll save on the price difference of a manual tranny, flywheel, and a clutch kit. That money later on can be used for the t56 swap. Plus, I want the swap to be started within 5months so there’s really no reason to buy a new clutch/flywheel. Honestly I don’t really have this all planned out but this makes sense to me.

Ill do a search for info on a manual to automatic swap, but if you have any information you know that’s make me a really happy guy.
Yer welcome. Haven't heard/seen much on an automatic swap and I find that you do think counter to what most ask about swapping with most asking about the opposite... Auto. to 6MT. Hahahaha! I'll call you "Mister Counterthink" or something!

Guessing, I'd say that that's not as difficult (but that's not even an *educated* guess, laff). Let's see.... flex plate in lieu of flywheel, transmission itself, maybe driveshaft (which probably isn't as easy as splicing together one given the CF composition of the stock driveshaft), maybe rear gearing, and probably some type of ECU changes, whether entire ECU from an AT car or tuning of your existing one with UpRev or somesuch. I just did a quick google on the subject and nothing comes up going TO an AT. Hmmm, maybe my saying "not as difficult" isn't such a good expression....

And, you are talking an AT swap using an existing Nissan AT to your VQ, not the eventual trans that would sit behind and LSX, right? Can't even fathom the difficulty of that. Although, when I think about it, I seem to remember seeing (somewhere) adapter plates between odd combinations of engines and transmissions (but I think those were mostly discussions about mating the Z's CD009 to other engines such as a 2JZ or earlier Nissan L-series or something. (I know that Z Car Garage did a swap of a 6MT into a 240Z.)

Anyways, good luck on your research. Post findings. Worthwhile data to have here.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:31 PM
coletrickle74

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

You're over thinking this. Get the correct trans and be done with it. Anything can be found online. Shipping charges will be easier to swallow than the headache and hours upon hours of work to swap it to something else.
The following users liked this post:
MicVelo (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 02:48 PM
GwitUhZ

Originally Posted by coletrickle74
You're over thinking this. Get the correct trans and be done with it. Anything can be found online. Shipping charges will be easier to swallow than the headache and hours upon hours of work to swap it to something else.
Yeah I was over think it, got way too ahead of myself.
i’v pulled the trans and checked it out. I can put it in reverse gear and spin the shaft both ways with slight resistance. I’m going to create a new post focusing on that. I don’t really know too much about cars so if you know anything please feel free to chime in. It’ll be in the drive train transmissions forum