Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Current Daily- Actual Power or Just Being Annoying?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 10:28 AM
Golfboys_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Current Daily- Actual Power or Just Being Annoying?

Hello! this would be my first post in this forum, and just wanted some feedback on Z
Currently i own a 2006 350z DE 5AT (not too sure if revvup) at 180K miles, i believe to be the third owner & first person to try to add power to the Z or "Rice it up". Now what i have done to the car right ?
Exhuast: N/a headers, Z1 test pipes, ISR performance y pipe, and Single exit ISR GT muffler so straight pipe
Engine:Original to car. No Tune, Injen Cold air intake. Nothing else. (thinking about a metal plenum spacer and a new throttle body with a spacer but i'm still not sure if the outcome would be worth it, considering it is my daily.)
Suspension: Changed out shocks and stock suspension to Tein street basis Z Coilovers at 140k.
Wheels: F- Aodhan Ds01 Gloss Black With Gold Rivets, 19x9.5 (+15) 5x114.3 R - 19x10.5 (+15) 5x114.3
Tires: Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 F - 255/35r19 96w R - 500 285/30r19 98w
Lug Nuts Gold 12x1.25 Gold Open Ended
Other than that the body is Pretty much as stock as can be besides a small lip spoiler that was installed from factory.
Color: Carbon Silver
For right now it definitely is my favorite daily that i have owned, i am young and drive alone 95% of the time but if i need space. So after all of that information, i really just want to drift/ hit the track with in a year but at this time for the future i would want to add a single turbo or even an AT to MT swap.. but i cannot afford the time it takes to have the car NOT drive daily. Going into 2020 my goal is to get a real daily sedan, so i can gut this Z and begin to prep it for track! as of now dailying test pipes is a little hard but in my eyes totally manageable. Am i doing this racecar thing right?

Last edited by Golfboys_; 10-21-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:33 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,297 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Buy a daily driver first
The following users liked this post:
khnitz (10-23-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 11:29 AM
Golfboys_

I agree with ya on that one. I've looked into 4 door sedans like the WRX hatchback. Im excited for where the future takes this car.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:42 AM
epenbecks

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

If you already know you want to drift it, why buy AT? just curious.
Because i'm a drifter wannabe too
Old 10-21-2019, 11:55 AM
Golfboys_

I was really lucky to have found this car in my opinion, The previous owner was a family friend of my fathers.The service records for the maintenance is immaculate since day 1. I am keeping up with the preventative maintenance as the miles go. But mostly i got it for the history i know is good and because i was able to purchase it for 1/3 of what manuals in that condition go for.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:46 PM
epenbecks

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

yeah that make sense. you know what happened with that car already.
Originally Posted by Golfboys_
... and because i was able to purchase it for 1/3 of what manuals in that condition go for.
but i hope you know the market for this car, AT mostly cheaper than the MT (at least in LA area)
Old 10-21-2019, 01:00 PM
iideadeyeii

Received 444 Likes on 360 Posts

~Factory power
285's
28lb wheel
Probably not the best for drifting
Old 10-21-2019, 01:05 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Welcome, and to directly answer whether you're "doing this racecar thing right", I'm going to tell you: NO. None of the things you've done so far is really going to help your Z go faster. The auto will overheat the first time it hits the track, the 19" wheels/tire package add unsprung weight that decreases performance and the CAI, test pipes and exhaust won't add any additional performance until you get a full tune (if then). One suggestion is to get a baseline dyno on your car to see what it puts out right now.

As others have said, keep your Z as a DD, but don't start to tear it down until you have more knowledge AND another car to serve as your DD. You'd be better off keeping this Z in the condition you bought it and selling it for a profit to get a 6-speed (manual) equipped Z someday. Research this site to get a better idea on performance parts that work, classifieds for good deals and ideas on how to build your next Z. The Z you have is fine as a DD, but the time and effort to convert if to a drift car would be a waste IMHO.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:20 PM
Golfboys_

Originally Posted by dkmura
Welcome, and to directly answer whether you're "doing this racecar thing right", I'm going to tell you: NO. None of the things you've done so far is really going to help your Z go faster. The auto will overheat the first time it hits the track, the 19" wheels/tire package add unsprung weight that decreases performance and the CAI, test pipes and exhaust won't add any additional performance until you get a full tune (if then). One suggestion is to get a baseline dyno on your car to see what it puts out right now.

As others have said, keep your Z as a DD, but don't start to tear it down until you have more knowledge AND another car to serve as your DD. You'd be better off keeping this Z in the condition you bought it and selling it for a profit to get a 6-speed (manual) equipped Z someday. Research this site to get a better idea on performance parts that work, classifieds for good deals and ideas on how to build your next Z. The Z you have is fine as a DD, but the time and effort to convert if to a drift car would be a waste IMHO.
Hey! thank you for the useful feedback, i definitely did agree with alot of the points you made!! i've considered both options of just dropping this car, selling it and get another Z. honestly i never thought of taking my car out to a track in the condition i have it now, i have been studying as much as i can and reading into this website and forums both on the Z and the G. I have a tuner that can help me out so would a tune with what im running now be okay?
Old 10-21-2019, 01:23 PM
Golfboys_

No one as truthful as THE INTERNET hahaha
Old 10-21-2019, 02:42 PM
coletrickle74

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Yeah take it to the track a whole bunch before adding power. I've been doing it for 4 or 5 years and I'm still finding lost time at each track. The stock power will keep you relatively safe when, not if, you make a mistake.
The following users liked this post:
iideadeyeii (10-22-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 02:47 PM
Golfboys_

Originally Posted by coletrickle74
Yeah take it to the track a whole bunch before adding power. I've been doing it for 4 or 5 years and I'm still finding lost time at each track. The stock power will keep you relatively safe when, not if, you make a mistake.
I'm taking it very slow with the build, i need to know the car is going to run safe before i can push it beyond its current limits.
thank you for the advice!
Old 10-21-2019, 04:10 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by Golfboys_
Hey! thank you for the useful feedback, i definitely did agree with alot of the points you made!! i've considered both options of just dropping this car, selling it and get another Z. honestly i never thought of taking my car out to a track in the condition i have it now, i have been studying as much as i can and reading into this website and forums both on the Z and the G. I have a tuner that can help me out so would a tune with what im running now be okay?
A tune would help, but get a baseline FIRST and don't expect more than a 5-8% improvement over baseline figures. Kinda expensive HP so you may want to consider the cost of dyno and tuning time. While it's great you want to go to the track, be aware the 5AT gets HOT quickly and will enter limp mode. The standard brakes will overheat as well, so be sure to bleed them with a high-performance DOT 4 brake fluid like ARE Gold Super 200.
The following 2 users liked this post by dkmura:
Golfboys_ (10-21-2019), rustyschopshop (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 05:51 PM
Golfboys_

I see your points when it comes to getting a tune, re flashing the ecu with an uprev has been on my mind for a while. I appreciate the helpful feedback !
Also in regards to the brakes for the future I’d look into getting a used big brake kit from another Z but definitely steel brake lines and a flush.

Last edited by Golfboys_; 10-21-2019 at 05:55 PM.