Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Intermittent gear lockout

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 07:48 AM
arnoldv35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent gear lockout

Hello all, I am making this post for a buddy of mine who owns a 2003 350z. A few months ago, he started having intermittent issues with the transmission where he would be locked out of all gears. We towed the vehicle home and threw a new clutch (Z1 Street performance) With a new OEM throw-out bearing. With the transmission off, we learned that the transmission was a CD009 (cdo#2 markings, think this year came with a CD001) and also found small pieces that look to have belonged to the clutch. We also found that the output shaft had a little play but were told by Z1 Labs that it was normal. The car was bought as a full drift build, so we expected just a clutch issue. After breaking in the new clutch and even drifting at an all-day event weeks ago, just last night, the car started to have the same symptoms reoccur. Only this time, the car doesn't want to go into gear only when fully stopped. Once you get the car rolling, you can row through the gears just fine. At a dead stop, everything is locked out. And also occasionally at a stop, while pressing in the clutch, the clutch chatter from the flywheel does not go away. We have also checked to ensure that the master and slave have pressure and are operating. The car could have a bad transmission mount, which I'm not sure if it could be a factor. I'm wondering if it could be something internally failing on the transmission, as I doubt a brand-new OEM throw-out bearing would be the issue, any ideas would help. Thankyou!
Old 04-21-2024, 10:27 PM
vqluigi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arnoldv35
Hello all, I am making this post for a buddy of mine who owns a 2003 350z. A few months ago, he started having intermittent issues with the transmission where he would be locked out of all gears. We towed the vehicle home and threw a new clutch (Z1 Street performance) With a new OEM throw-out bearing. With the transmission off, we learned that the transmission was a CD009 (cdo#2 markings, think this year came with a CD001) and also found small pieces that look to have belonged to the clutch. We also found that the output shaft had a little play but were told by Z1 Labs that it was normal. The car was bought as a full drift build, so we expected just a clutch issue. After breaking in the new clutch and even drifting at an all-day event weeks ago, just last night, the car started to have the same symptoms reoccur. Only this time, the car doesn't want to go into gear only when fully stopped. Once you get the car rolling, you can row through the gears just fine. At a dead stop, everything is locked out. And also occasionally at a stop, while pressing in the clutch, the clutch chatter from the flywheel does not go away. We have also checked to ensure that the master and slave have pressure and are operating. The car could have a bad transmission mount, which I'm not sure if it could be a factor. I'm wondering if it could be something internally failing on the transmission, as I doubt a brand-new OEM throw-out bearing would be the issue, any ideas would help. Thankyou!

bump having the same issue have you figured it out?