Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Cranks but won't start, Engine harness issue

Search this Thread

Old Today, 06:43 AM
jakesmog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Cranks but won't start, Engine harness issue

So I decided to try my hand at a "mechanic's special" 350z. It is a 2005 Enthusiast MT Coupe, originally with a DE, but the engine, transmission, ECM, BCM, and ignition have been swapped in from a 2006 of unknown trim with a RevUp and CD009. Included with the sale was also the original '05 DE ECM, BCM, and ignition. It is my understanding that this never ran after the attempted swap.

Diagnosis through the OBD port only showed a U1000 and U1001 code. The ECM receives power with key on, but after several seconds the fans kick on and will only crank without starting. Keyless entry, wipers, lights, power windows, etc. all work but there is both an open on the CAN lines.

I've combed through the FSMs for both 2005 and 2006 and isolated the open circuit; however, I still have questions that I have not been able to answer using the FSM.

Pictured below are the unwrapped wires leading from the ECM to the SMJ F102 connector on the passenger side of the vehicle.

This is the three-way junction where the engine room harness meets the ECM and the body harness.

What are the brown and grey boxes inline with the wiring? Are they factory, or this makeshift? Note, there are actually two ECM connectors here: one mounted in factory position, and the other just out of frame on the bottom left (I'm assuming for ease of troubleshooting)

The CAN-H and L twisted pair do not actually meet on the ECM connector at pin 94 and 86 where they should be. This is why I get an open circuit. The terminating resistor on the ECM itself is the proper 120 ohms, but the pink/blue wires do not meet the connector on pins 94/86. This is contrary to the 05/06 LAN and EC FSMs. I haven't even started with the rest of the wires.

I have the proper tools to depin and repin the harness-connector connection, and the Engine Control FSM for 05/06 details the colors of the wires and the pinout. But how in the world did these wires make it to the wrong spot on the connector in the first place? And what do I do about the brown and gray plastic box things?

Thanks for reading this and any input/suggestions you may have.