Notices
South East North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida

Tail of the Dragon is pretty much done for, TN sucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 05:24 AM
stormcrow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Conceyted
That's pretty embarrassing, right? Well, lets just say when you come around a corner and you have a camera staring right at you and 5 people next to a car the first thing you think is, "is it a cop?" then you realize they are taking pictures of you and all you can do is try to remember to drive without running off the cliff. Let's just say I wasn't trying to impress anyone :-D

here is another less embarrassing picture of me being a grandpa on the TN side of the dragon.
i think i got a bit flustered when i saw killboy.com snapping pics of me... you're right, it's hard not to focus on them instead of the road... *haha* nice ride, btw...
Old 08-07-2007, 05:49 AM
wild121

Originally Posted by w0ady
lol funny post jeremy.

i agree with j though, it will probably die down. a month or 2 before zdayz this year, there was some similar indications that cops were stepping it up. we barely saw any except at the bottom of the mountain and still had a blast. we've got lots of days before zdayz 08 so give it time.

Of course it will die down..... no state in the union has the resources to patrol an 11 mile streatch of road that heavy for that long. It will die down and people that complaign will stop their bithching and people will be flying down there again.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:24 AM
dkmesa350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Conceyted
I just came back from the Dragon. This weekend was a blast. Don't get discouraged. The tail of the dragon is done for the TN side, but the NC side has TONS of road left and its very much un-patrolled and smooth sailing. TN cops weren't really picking on the cars as much as they were the bikes. I spoke with a few bikers up at fontana village and they explained that a few of them got tickets for 30 over (speed limit on the TN side is 40). I wasn't harassed by any cops this weekend, and they did come and go at a decent time so it gave you time to run the whole dragon without any hastle. The cops would show up around 10-11 AM and leave at about 5 or 6 PM. There were a TON of them, though.

Killboy and other copycat sites took a few shots of me and my brother (in his white s2k). The only problem was that they all sat on the TN side so none of them captured me killing it in the turns.

Here is a picture of me that I plan on buying from us129photos.com

The actual tail only has like half a mile in NC but there are some great NC roads right around there. I am pretty sure the speed limit is actually 30 in TN, but the tickets are still ridiculous. And try to stay off the double yellows
Old 08-07-2007, 06:45 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

jeez, I could have told you guys THP is gay, there are always busting peoples ***** for nothing
Old 08-07-2007, 07:20 AM
Conceyted

Originally Posted by stormcrow
i think i got a bit flustered when i saw killboy.com snapping pics of me... you're right, it's hard not to focus on them instead of the road... *haha* nice ride, btw...
Thanks. Yea, see, you know what I mean. This guy has a big camera staring at your car all you can do is stare like a deer in headlights. You can see me in blank stare in that picture. Hehe
Old 08-07-2007, 08:26 AM
LifeIsRisky

I have ridden the Tail on a Ninja but haven't yet done it in my Z. Anyone know when ZDayZ is this year? And before you ask yes I did use the search
Old 08-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Conceyted

Originally Posted by LifeIsRisky
I have ridden the Tail on a Ninja but haven't yet done it in my Z. Anyone know when ZDayZ is this year? And before you ask yes I did use the search
http://zdayzevents.com/
Old 08-07-2007, 11:31 AM
SupermanZ

I was there 3 weeks ago. I saw some cops but they were just standing around. It wasn't bad.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Plucky Purcell

Just got back today from a week in Gatlinburg. On Monday (8/6) rode a loop through SMNP (441) - Cherokee -74 - NC 28 - The Dragon - Foothills parkway - 321 - back to SMNP on my Valkyrie. Hung out at Deal's Gap motorcycle resort for about an hour and a half around lunchtime. Didn't see a cop the whole day and nobody we talked with at Deal's gap mentioned anything about any excess of cops. There are some great roads in that area and we rode a lot of them this week. No signs of any intensified police enforcement. The riding was great, but the junk shops/go cart/miniature golf/crowded tourist trap stuff that makes up Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge makes me glad we rented a cabin way out of town.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:38 AM
DanielW
Banned

yeah I think they just need to be able to show (like that crazy video with 15 cops) that they're doing something so when people start bichin about guys getting hurt up there and it not being safe the highway patrol can have a nice PR campaign to fall back on.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:38 PM
NiZmo&Mo

Default "Killing It In The Turns"

Oh please. Enjoy your country drives, nuthin wrong with that, but nobody is "killin" the turns unless they're in a competitive environment. Guys like michaeljr6 who tell you to keep it on the track aren't trying limit your fun, just give you a reality check. Spend one tenth of your yearly tuner budget on a driving school or track day and you'll have the best time of your life. IMHO.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:29 AM
TheProfessional

There is a direct answer to the THP response... remember, people should not be afraid of their government, the government should be afraid of the people.

The answer is simply this:

See a cop on the side of the road?
Pull out your lawn chair and sign "Welcome to Tennessee" and sit around the corner.

See a cop behind you?
Go 5 mph below the speed limit with your lights on and honk as per TN state law 55-8-166. Driving on mountain highways.
The driver of a motor vehicle traveling on mountain highways shall hold such motor vehicle under control and as near the right-hand edge of the highway as reasonably possible and, upon approaching any curve where the view is obstructed within a distance of two hundred feet (200") along the highway, shall give audible warning with the horn of such motor vehicle.
[Acts 1955, ch. 329, § 66; T.C.A., § 59-867.]

Cops harass you?
Turn on your camcorder.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Mountain Runner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They've been hitting Hwy 421 pretty hard recently but they're primarily after motorcyclists up there.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:51 AM
imonlykidden

update? or still the same?
Old 08-13-2007, 09:24 AM
DanielW
Banned

Originally Posted by TheProfessional
There is a direct answer to the THP response... remember, people should not be afraid of their government, the government should be afraid of the people.

The answer is simply this:

See a cop on the side of the road?
Pull out your lawn chair and sign "Welcome to Tennessee" and sit around the corner.
That makes absolutely no since
Old 08-13-2007, 10:13 AM
Conceyted

Originally Posted by danielwebb
That makes absolutely no since
I think he means warn people so they don't get pulled over.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:08 PM
imonlykidden

good idea. run the cops off the road instead.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:30 AM
DanielW
Banned

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh now i get it... not a bad idea