Notices
South East North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida

NOPI 2008 canceled

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 06:09 PM
CRAZY Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOPI 2008 canceled

No worries guys! NOPI won't happen this year. Top info. released this evening to certain indivuals, like myself, all events will be canceled for the 2008 season, ALL. (drags, shows, nationals, drifting, etc.)

Bet your bottom dollar, get ready for the press release to come out probably as soon as tomorrow with this sad information.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:12 PM
surfcity40

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CRAZY Z
No worries guys! NOPI won't happen this year. Top info. released this evening to certain indivuals, like myself, all events will be canceled for the 2008 season, ALL. (drags, shows, nationals, drifting, etc.)
Do NOT tell me Nopi is tied to IndyMac....
Old 07-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Swifty

whats the reason?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:36 PM
aarantes

Why!?
Old 07-15-2008, 08:06 PM
jgregory124

really why?
Old 07-15-2008, 08:15 PM
SupermanZ

I hope not. Nationals is one of my favorite weekends.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:20 PM
kennedy

I just found this
ATLANTA, Georgia – June 12, 2008 – Effective immediately, NOPI Motorsports is forced to cancel two upcoming NOPI Events located in Colorado (Drag Race and Car Show) previously set for June 21st and 22nd as well as the Utah event (Drag Race, Drift and Car Show) previously set for July 18th and 19th of 2008. NOPI Motorsports has faced extreme weather at their past 8 events, which has affected NOPI events in a great way. Each event the NOPI staff has pushed through these adversities to accommodate all of its sponsors, racers and fans in the best way possible given the circumstances. Many times events have been postponed and made up at a future event due to weather shutting down tracks and making it unsafe to run on.

This unfortunate turn of events has placed a major financial burden on NOPI Motorsports, which already faces an extremely challenging economy. With fuel costs at a record high, people are watching all of their extracurricular activities, and taking a chance at attending an event that would possibly be affected by weather plays a negative roll. “We have been running top notch events for years now,” said Michael Meyers, President of NOPI Motorsports. “I have never been faced with anything like this. We are having incredible support from racers and fans this year, in fact some of the best action we’ve ever seen has taken place here in 2008. There was no way to forecast any of this. We are working through all of it to see how we can make these events up. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused to everyone. This is a major setback for NOPI Motorsports and new territory for all of us.”

Makeup events have not been announced for the two cancelled events located in Colorado and Utah. The NOPI Motorsports staff is working on the possibility of makeup rounds, as well as determining points towards the 2008 championships. Each of these issues will be addressed here shortly.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:33 PM
imonlykidden

Oh MAN!! GOod thing i'm not home to go even if it is not canceled.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:21 AM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

No ricefest?
Old 07-16-2008, 04:32 AM
MUZZY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ummm, they only canceled a couple of shows. Nationals is still on
Old 07-16-2008, 05:16 AM
Tamilicious
Jealous?

Hate to burst your bubble Kev but NOPI Atlanta is usually in mid September, so you would have been able to make it...Cross your fingers that one doesn't get cancelled too!
Old 07-16-2008, 05:27 AM
SupermanZ

I doubt it would be canecelled. It's to big. Theirs contracts with alot people.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:34 AM
CRAZY Z

I work at Atlanta Motor Speedway and we had the devastating news yesterday evening from Michael Myers himself in a phone conference. And they did release the press release this morning...

July 16, 2008 It is with great regret that NOPI Motorsports, LLC has suspended operations for the summer and fall 2008. This will include NOPI Drag Racing Series, NOPI Drift Series and the NOPI NATIONALS Motorsports Supershow. The company is undergoing an organizational restructuring in light of severe adverse affects of a disappointing spring season. The economy and unfavorable weather resulted in underperformance of all spring events. Michael Meyers, president of NOPI Motorsports, reports that NOPI Motorsports is working with its clients and sponsors to minimize the uncertainty going forward. This is a reflection of the economic times in which we currently live. The countrywide economic and industry downturn has caused a slowdown and tightening of belts. This affects everyone and companies, at all levels, and NOPI Motorsports is no different.

We understand the position this puts everyone in and we hope you can find in your heart to work with us through this terrible time. All of you are our friends and we have felt for many years that we were all a big family.

NOPI Motorsports hates this more than anyone as the many years of hard work, tradition and an industry we helped to shape would come to this.

Please watch nopi.com for future announcements.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:53 AM
CRAZY Z

Originally Posted by SupermanZ
I doubt it would be canecelled. It's to big. Theirs contracts with alot people.
Yep, they do have contracts! The biggest one with us, Atlanta Motor Speedway. I can smell tons of lawsuits coming, but by the tone of Mr. Myers himself no one will be able to get a penny out of him or Nopi. The company is drained after him being sick for a while and no one else able to make the final decisions. Very bad business model they've had going on, surprized they had made it this far. They lived on there rep for years, going on over two decades.

Hopfully, we will see a revamp in their business model and come back next year in full force!
Old 07-16-2008, 07:16 AM
reptile718

Originally Posted by russ713
No ricefest?
I went to the Atl show a couple of years ago and it was pure rice, have not been back since!
Old 07-16-2008, 07:19 AM
imonlykidden

Originally Posted by Tamilicious
Hate to burst your bubble Kev but NOPI Atlanta is usually in mid September, so you would have been able to make it...Cross your fingers that one doesn't get cancelled too!

I have to leave sept 11th to go back. I'm sure i'm going to miss it even if it is not canceled.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Swifty

looks like Nopi will be going out of buisness 100%. Time to start your own version of Nopi real quick. Best way to start your own buisness and it'll probably turn successful real quick. If i had the cash to start this up i would. same concept, same everything, just different name/sponcers/owner.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nopi = rice

Old 07-16-2008, 03:45 PM
Southgachik
akaAnnie Oakley

this sucks... is there a link to the press release...
Old 07-16-2008, 04:42 PM
BlackTT350

I agree with some of the "ricer" comments, but to each their own as far as modding their rides. I've been to Nat's in Atlanta for about 5 years and although it is open to so many levels of cars, whether all rice to all the trailer queened show cars, it was a huge event each time and there was something for everyone. Lot's of sponsors, shops, press and media attend. Hopefully they can get back on their feet and get back on track.

Quick Reply: NOPI 2008 canceled