Notices
South East North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida

ATL meet october 19th,

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 06:51 PM
backagain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATL meet october 19th,

whats up GA people, im from destin FL but we are having a meet in atl GA on oct 19th, it's a lot of bimmer's, mostly m3's, but im bringing my 350 and some audi's coming too. anyway, just thought i would pass the word to all the atl people. here is a page from bimmerforums.com , all the meet info is on the page, just let us know if you want to come,

MOUNTAIN DRIVE TIME!

Well, it seems that these here mountain drives that we're hosting are getting pretty darn popular, so we're going to do another one! We had over 40 cars at the meet last month, with 23 joining in on the drive...so we're expecting even more this time around!

Micah will be around this time to show off some of M3 motorwerks' more popular items, answer any of your tuning questions, and help fulfill all of your tuning needs!

Same format as before (albeit slightly earlier): we'll meet at Perimeter Mall just north of the I-285 on Ashford Dunwoody Road at 11:00 a.m., look at each other's cars, ogle at those with more mods than us, then head out for the twisties at 12:30 p.m. sharp!

Again, these drives are put together to give us a chance to enjoy our cars and the scenery that is the North Georgia Mountains, NOT to push the limits of our machines or to show other members your extreme driving abilities. If you intend on acting like an idiot, PLEASE do not show up.

If you haven't been up through the mountains in late October, you are in for quite a treat. The leaves are absolutley beautiful up there, and the temperature will hopefully be a little cooler.

Danny (a.k.a. count_schemula) and myself will lead two different groups through the mountains, so we won't have to worry about keeping up with 20+ cars at a time.

Total approximate driving time will be six hours.

If you have two-way radios BRING THEM! This will make it easier to communicate with others

Any questions? PM or AIM me, I'll be happy to assist you!

***EDIT***--For those that have attended a previous drive, please note the change in the route. I've shortened it a bit, and made sure that we make it to the infamous BLOOD MOUNTAIN! Just kidding--it's not bad, I just like being dramatic!
Old 10-10-2003, 03:44 AM
mcclaskz

Are you going to the Petite Le Mans on 17/18?
Old 10-10-2003, 04:55 PM
backagain

no, i wnat to but i have to work the 17th, and leaving for atl the 18th around lunch,,, i live in destin fl. so it's a long trip for me to come up that way.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:04 PM
CLS

Can you tell me what the route is that you are taking?
Old 10-13-2003, 03:53 PM
backagain

here is a out take from the page

THE ROUTE

Meet at JC Penney's parking lot (apparantely it's closed down, so look for a gathering of BMW's) at Perimeter Mall off of Ashford Dunwoody Road, just north of I-285 at 11:00 a.m. Head out at exactly 1:30 p.m. for the mountains!

Take 285 to Ga. 400 North. After approximately one hour, 400 ends into GA-60. Go left (north, I believe) towards Dahlonega. Continue on 60 north through Dahlonega, taking note of right turn just past McDonalds on left to continue on same road.

Continue on 60 until you come to a "rock formation" that splits the road. Veer left to continue on 60. Careful here b/c you are turning left across traffic around a pretty bad turn.

Continue on 60 until you see a BP gas station on your right. Turn right onto Wolfpen Gap (GA-180) and try to stay on the road!

Wolfpen Gap dead-ends into Hwy. 129, turn left. Go approxiamtely two miles and turn right onto GA-180. Go approximately 1/2 mile to right turn on GA-348 (Richard B. Russell Highway).

348 dead-ends into GA 75-spur. Take a right onto 75-spur and continue for a while (I can't remember how long) until it dead-ends into GA-129. Go right.

Continue on 129 for a while, travelling over Blood Mountain (That's its name, I swear! ). Pass Vogel State Park on your left, turning left on to GA-180 again, Wolfpen Gap. Continue on Wolfpen Gap until it dead-ends into GA-60 at the BP station. Turn right onto GA-60.

Continue on 60 for quite some time into Morganton. You then take a left and a right in town to continue on 60, so take note of these turns.

60 runs into Hwy. 76. Go left (south) and this road becomes Hwy. 515 and then I-575.

PREPARATION

Although we won't be racing through the mountains at warp speed, the mountains will take a toll on your car. Here's what you can do to make the experience a little less stressful for you and your car:

1. Tire pressure. Bring a gauge with you, and make sure before you head out that your tires are properly inflated. I recommend 35 psi, but more or less will be fine.

2. Check your oil before hand. Seems obvious, but you'd be suprised. I had a guy in a trip I led last year with my VW group that had low oil, and his light came on in the middle of nowhere. He had to drive with his oil light on for fifteen minutes or so, which I'm sure his car didn't like. Just common maintenance.

3. Brake Pads. Make sure you don't head up there with you pad sensor light on. You WILL do a number on your brakes, especially if you plan on being somewhat "frisky". Wofpen Gap itself could eat through half a set of pads. Seriously.

4. Bring a two-way radio. VERY important, especially if we get upwards of ten or so cars going. Split-ups are bound to happen, and two-ways will defnitely come in handy. Keep in mind that we will regroup at the BP in Helen halfway through the trip.

5. Anything else anyone can think of? Lemme know.

Please feel free to ask any questions here or PM me. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you guys and reacquainting myself with others.

P.S.--A lot of these road numbers are posted on memory...so, I take no responsibility for you getting lost! Just playing.

P.S.S.--SHOW UP WITH A FULL TANK OF GAS! We don't want to have to wait for everyone to fill up before we head out.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:23 PM
backagain

Originally posted by CLS
Can you tell me what the route is that you are taking?
you thinking of coming ?
Old 10-20-2003, 07:07 PM
JP00SS

Ray, this is CLS(Travis). How did the drive go? Were you able to catch up to those guys. Hopefully so, we were moving pretty good on 400.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:10 PM
backagain

hey man, i didn't even see the post, here is the video i made of he trip, your car is in it, http://video.eurospeed.com/atl2.wmv