Notices
South East North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida

Bad body shop experience - Durham NC

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 08:08 AM
THH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad body shop experience - Durham NC

I wanted to share a bad experience I had to prevent someone else making the same mistake.

So the story goes, I wrecked my Z in a snow storm several months ago. Since I was using insurance, I decided to use a dealership body shop. I chose Michael Jordan Nissan in Durham NC since it was convenient for me.

Everything was fine at first. The staff seemed knowledgeable and were friendly. The work took a few days since parts and such had to be ordered, which seemed pretty standard thus far.

The day came when the said my car was ready for pick up. It looked good until closer inspection revealed a few items that were not repaired and were pointed out during the estimate phase. I don't mean a small blemish or something cosmetic, but major things. The mud flaps, for instance, were reused from my car, even though others had been ordered for replacement since they were scratched. Also, an area of the body that was dented was not even fixed and beginning to show surface rust. When I pointed these things out (as they were immediately apparent) the tech made the comment that "Z owners are never satisfied!" and left to speak with a supervisor about it. After haggling over the work, they took the vehicle back and I waited another few days to get called back in.

This time, there was a blemish on the bumper that was not there before. As if someone scrapped it or dropped something on it. Now things got a little weird. There was talk of additional cost I would need to pay for this work, which did not set well with me for obvious reasons. The technician went back to the supervisors office I mentioned earlier and I could see they were visibly arguing through their office window. After a few minutes, the technician came back out, gave me another appointment, and began fixing the car once again.

Two days later I make yet another trip to get my car. This time every thing looked great and just like new. The staff were relieved that I was satisfied and I made my way to leave. Now, I can almost handle the level of service I received this far. I mean, yes they missed things and seemed to be a bit lazy about doing a complete job, but the work was top quality. I would have simply taken my car and never used them again. But just as I was leaving and inspecting the car for the last time, I was told not to come back. That really rubbed me the wrong way. All I wanted was my car fixed and the things they missed were pretty obvious. I never argued nor felt I was being unreasonable. The fact that they seemed indifferent to everything and then would rather tell me to not comeback instead of salvaging this incidence and keeping a customer really says something about this dealership entirely. I highly recommend NOBODY ever using them.

Just my.2.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:11 PM
obex26

First and foremost as a dealership recommended by YOUR insurance they have to honor all repairs cosmetic and mechanical that they have done to your vehicle for a term of a minimum of one year. (check with your insurance company to verify this). Second you need to inform YOUR insurance company about your experience and how they tried to fraud your insurance company to pad their bottom line and tried to skimp out on repairs that were noted.

I assure you they will be dropped by your insurance company as a recommended repair facility if not end up with a full investigation. Make sure to include the comment from them about being told to never return.

These are the things that body shops don't like being exposed to. They tried pulling that type of BS when my dad was getting his truck repaired. Lets just say that the body shop manager is no longer employed due to my knowledge and the people I contacted. And that dealership is no longer a preferred provider of repair servicess.

Our insurance company is USAA its not one of those companies you want to be black listed by especially if you are a FORD dealership.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:20 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if anyone needs a great bodyshop PM me. Hes n greensboro and u can look at the work he did on my car compared to the dealership and its night and day. Hes cheaper then dealerships and puts a paying customer 1st.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:39 PM
THH

Thanks for the insight. The car is cherry after everything was said and done. Had they did the work the way they did the first time, I would be praising them. That is good advice about reporting the experience tot he insurance company. I will pass my experience along to them. As popular as the 350Z is, it seems Nissan as a whole is hell bent on pissing off their owners. I have never heard of a positive dealership story.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:06 PM
dmroberson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a couple good and bad experiences with Michael Jordan Nissan. Worst is Stewart Nissan, in Fayetteville.

Oh, and the ones out here are a flakey too...
Old 06-07-2010, 06:24 PM
jasongME

I didn't feel too good about MJ Nissan when I was there for an oil change. They took nearly 2hrs, got oil on my hood/bumper, and all over my engine bay.