South West Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico

Moving to Pheonix, need info/tracks/shops, etc

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 02:11 PM
Starman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Moving to Pheonix, need info/tracks/shops, etc

Hi guys!

I'm gonna be moving to Phoenix (Gilbert/Chandler area) next month from San Jose,Ca area, and had some questions for you all.

- Are there any good road tracks in the area? Especially for high performance driving schools, etc. I found Bondurant, but that's like a grand for a day of driving! Where do you go for track time?

- Can anyone suggest a good body shop to get some body parts (wing and lip) painted in Daytona Blue?

- Anyone know of a good clear bra installer that has done 350Zs before?

Thanks for the info! I'll keep my eye on those other posts about local get togethers and clubs and see if I can make it out to one of the meets. Thanks
Scott
Old 12-07-2004, 05:55 AM
snolden

check scca forums, they have 299 dollar weekends at Phoenix International a couple times a year. Also check out firebird raceway, they do lots of autocross.

www.racingsouthwest.com is based out of New Mexico and they have several 50 dollar days (all day for 50 bucks) a year at Sandia Motor Speedway just west of Albuquerque. The BMW forums will also be good to check especially fro the Sandia track and probably also for the PIR. Personally, I like the Sandia track as it is at 5300 feet and you don't stress your engine near as much as in the vallley due to lower atmospheric pressure.

Shops: I do all my own work except for paint. Next week I will install a LSD on my G sedan

If you find yourself going to any events at Sandia, PM me as I only live about 2 hours from there.

Go to the Scottsdale Pavilions. It is pretty much either ricers or classic cars but there are some nice Nissan's from time to time.

Also check out www.nissanclub.com. They have a pretty strong phoenix area following. mostly from the old altimas.net but if you go to the local forums you will find everything from Z's to G's, bikes to stangs and a lot of other stuff that hang out in the valley area. We did several get togethers last summer and one in September
Old 12-07-2004, 08:38 AM
phoenixZ33

Currently there are five tracks in Phoenix, four of which have events on a regular basis.

Phoenix International Raceway - 1-mile oval with 1.5 mile infield roadcourse. They just made a 1 million plus square foot lot for autocrossing.. it's HUGE. www.phoenixraceway.com

Firebird Intl. Raceway - Three roadcourses and a drag strip. Firebird has street car drags every Friday night. www.firebirdraceway.com

Arizona Motorsports Park - Big roadcourse (2-3 miles) and a huge skidpad for autocrossing. Currently the facility is closed due to some legal issues with the permit, but it should be open around the new year. www.arizonamotorsportspark.com

For open track events, there are two major clubs that run them in Phoenix. Aside from December, there's pretty much two, usually three events per month between FIR and PIR.

ASRA - www.azsportsracing.org. They just merged with NASA (www.nasa-arizona.com). They usually run PIR's roadcourse, or the Main Course at FIR. $129/day for street car groups. They have advanced, intermediate and beginner groups as well.

Pro Autosports - www.proautosports.com They run an event a month, sometimes two, and it's almost always at FIR. Sometimes they go to new Mexico and every July they have an event at an airport in St. Johns, AZ.

Both ASRA and Pro Autosports have driving schools *every* weekend, for around 130-175 bucks if I remember correctly. Do one of these first before spending the big bucks on Bondurant.

For Solo2/Autocross, the big club is the AZ Region Solo2 Club. www.azsolo2.com. Everything you need is on that site, and in their forum. There are typically 200-250 entrants per event, but the events run smooth and you can be in and out quick.

There are other clubs for Solo2:

Tucson - www.azbrscca.org
Sierra Vista - www.sierrasportscars.net

I usually hit 3-4 events per month between running open track with ASRA/NASA and Solo2 at one of the three regions. You'll never run out of events to do, plain and simple. If you have any questions about events or want to come out to one, let me know. phoenixR34@hotmail.com

Last edited by phoenixZ33; 12-07-2004 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:14 PM
Starman

Thanks for all the track info guys, that helps a lot!

Does anyone have any reccomendations for body shops or a clear bra installer in the Phoenix area?

Thanks!