Notices
South West Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico

2006 LaJunta track day

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 09:30 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, Cobalt just called me and said they can't deliver my pads for another two weeks, so I guess that's out. Crap, I have the worst luck with pads for this car. I guess I'll have to give Courtesy a call and see what they have available for RedStuff, but they were back ordered as well last I checked with them in Dec.
Will
Old 02-17-2006, 09:31 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by Bottom
Dave: Thanks for the update on the new schedule. Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it as I have plans for snowboarding that weekend. How do you see the summer schedule for another HPDE? Thanks again.

Everyone have a great time and be safe.
David
Bummer, we're going to miss you David. Have a good time in the powder though
Will
Old 02-17-2006, 12:04 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by Bottom
Dave: Thanks for the update on the new schedule. Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it as I have plans for snowboarding that weekend. How do you see the summer schedule for another HPDE? Thanks again.

Everyone have a great time and be safe.
David
Bottom- We'll miss you at LaJunta and as Will said, blast some powder for us! As for this summer, the news is that track time is already tight as LaJunta and PMI are already heavily scheduled. The other issue is that the GT3 350Z is nearing completion and I'll be busy campaigning it in National races this year. Maybe the best we can shoot for is going down south for a test day later in the year. I doubt that I'll have the time to organize another 350Z/G35 track day again until the fall (maybe someone else will want to take that on).

Robert K- I'll bring along a spare race helmet you can borrow for LaJunta. No promises on how well it will fit, but it is SA-rated and once you get a taste of this, you can get your own!

Last edited by dkmura; 02-17-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
Robert K- I'll bring along a spare race helmet you can borrow for LaJunta. No promises on how well it will fit, but it is SA-rated and once you get a taste of this, you can get your own!
AWESOME & THANKS!!! You just saved me from wasting $100 for a cheap motorcycle helmet just for this weekend. I would think it will fit fine. I have a normal sized head. LOL I'll bring my nomex hood in case its too big to fill up some room. Now onto finding money for brake pads...
Old 02-17-2006, 03:11 PM
Resolute

Well, Courtesy came through and has RedStuff Ceramic in stock. I'm pretty pissed Cobalt didn't have their GT compounds in stock as I really wanted to try them, and I don't know why they waited until today to tell me they were out of stock when I ordered them last Tues. So, if anyone needs some decent track day pads that will certainly do better than stock or Axxis Ultimates, Hawk HPS, etc... call Courtesy and order a set. Like $60 for the rears and $100 for the fronts. Man I can't wait until next weekend. This weather blows.
Will
Old 02-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by Resolute
Well, Courtesy came through and has RedStuff Ceramic in stock. I'm pretty pissed Cobalt didn't have their GT compounds in stock as I really wanted to try them, and I don't know why they waited until today to tell me they were out of stock when I ordered them last Tues. So, if anyone needs some decent track day pads that will certainly do better than stock or Axxis Ultimates, Hawk HPS, etc... call Courtesy and order a set. Like $60 for the rears and $100 for the fronts. Man I can't wait until next weekend. This weather blows.
Will
Whats was the total shipped so I have a number to work with. When will they pads be delivered? Maybe we'll be changing each others pads together next Friday. LOL
Old 02-17-2006, 03:20 PM
Resolute

Was around 8.50 for shipping, I only ordered rears because my Porterfield pads still have lots of life left in them for the fronts. My Porterfield rears cracked in half on me. So, I'll have a full race compound up front, and a semi-race compound out back, should be interesting, but the temp range on them are very similiar and the coefficient of friction will be too as long as I keep the temps reasonable. The Porterfields will bite harder when over 1000 degrees than the Redstuff will. If I keep the temps below 1000, it doesn't look like too much of an issue. I guess I'll find out for sure on Sun.
Will
Old 02-17-2006, 08:20 PM
Mudd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I won't be there guys.......sorry. Have fun in my absence.

I hate this cold weather.

P.S.............For those who have not been to one of these, let me let you in on something. Just today I used many of the skills learned in one of these events. A stoplight at Alameda & Galena failed and made all the lights go green. Of course I was EB on Alameda going about 45MPH with green signal when a car decided to go on it's green light we later found to make a left turn onto WB Alameda. Using my learned skills and driving a full size Ford van I was able to narrowly miss this car to squeeze behind it and in between the car behind her who was also turning left. This avoided an accident where I would have probably killed this poor innocent women and seriously injured myself. Not to mention we both would have bankrupted to city of Denver when I got the "Strongarm" Frank Azar on the case with my lawsuits for faulty stoplights

Thank you again David..........and please don't ever drop the accident avoidence exercises from this curriculum.

Mudd

Last edited by Mudd; 02-17-2006 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:53 AM
mattsfeir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The back up date works for me. I plan on driving down Sun AM if anyone wants to meet up.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:58 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by mattsfeir
The back up date works for me. I plan on driving down Sun AM if anyone wants to meet up.
I'm interested... If you don't mind stoping in Fountain on your way down. Don't know what time though.

Will did you want to meet up and if so what time did you plan on heading down?
Old 02-18-2006, 06:40 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Mudd
I won't be there guys.......sorry. Have fun in my absence.

I hate this cold weather.

P.S.............For those who have not been to one of these, let me let you in on something. Just today I used many of the skills learned in one of these events. A stoplight at Alameda & Galena failed and made all the lights go green. Of course I was EB on Alameda going about 45MPH with green signal when a car decided to go on it's green light we later found to make a left turn onto WB Alameda. Using my learned skills and driving a full size Ford van I was able to narrowly miss this car to squeeze behind it and in between the car behind her who was also turning left. This avoided an accident where I would have probably killed this poor innocent women and seriously injured myself. Not to mention we both would have bankrupted to city of Denver when I got the "Strongarm" Frank Azar on the case with my lawsuits for faulty stoplights

Thank you again David..........and please don't ever drop the accident avoidence exercises from this curriculum.

Mudd
Brian- Sorry to hear that you won't be joining us next weekend. Glad to hear that the driving exercises really came in handy. You described that stoplight situation well and unless you have the ability to REACT without thinking, it could've wrecked both cars and, as you say, resulted in serious injuries or even a death! I appreciate feedback like this and you can bet we'll keep the accident avoidence exercises on the agenda.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:47 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

dkmura: What time are we starting Sunday? Looks like I have about a 2hr drive and want to start planning my day out so the wife knows.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:15 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Robert- I'd suggest you read the syllabus (post #72, pg. 4 of this thread) to get the full story. You'll need to be at the track between 0830- 0900 to sign the track waiver and pay the track fee. Are you traveling with Resolute? The track is actually north of town and you'll waste lots of time figuring out directions on your own. Be sure to leave some extra time on the trip home, so you can have dinner with us in Pueblo and tell us how The Stig did.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:39 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by dkmura
Robert- I'd suggest you read the syllabus (post #72, pg. 4 of this thread) to get the full story. You'll need to be at the track between 0830- 0900 to sign the track waiver and pay the track fee. Are you traveling with Resolute? The track is actually north of town and you'll waste lots of time figuring out directions on your own. Be sure to leave some extra time on the trip home, so you can have dinner with us in Pueblo and tell us how The Stig did.
Thanks... I already found it. Now as far as The Stig... Glad to tell you all how he did. LOL
Old 02-18-2006, 12:20 PM
Resolute

LOL, yeah I think us Sun morn guys should caravan, I figure we could meet up at the PPIR exit on Southbound I-25 around 7:15 to 7:30. This exit is easily marked, just south of Fountain, and will not have to worry about traffic as PPIR is closed, so we can just hang on the onramp to I-25 waiting for everyone without getting in anybody else's way. Sound good to you guys?
David, I don't remember the quick way to get to the track. Last time I missed the caravan and got directions in town. I remember where the track is in the whole airport complex, but I don't think I took the quick way to get there. How do you go?
Will
Old 02-18-2006, 01:02 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

LOL, yeah I think us Sun morn guys should caravan, I figure we could meet up at the PPIR exit on Southbound I-25 around 7:15 to 7:30. This exit is easily marked, just south of Fountain, and will not have to worry about traffic as PPIR is closed, so we can just hang on the onramp to I-25 waiting for everyone without getting in anybody else's way. Sound good to you guys?
David, I don't remember the quick way to get to the track. Last time I missed the caravan and got directions in town. I remember where the track is in the whole airport complex, but I don't think I took the quick way to get there. How do you go?
Will
Will thats sounds good to me. PPIR is right down from my house. Who else want to meets us there so we have a headcount and don't leave anyone behind.

BTW Will, don't think I'll be getting those break pads before Sunday. Money is tight & I don't get paid till the 1st. Guess I'll order some afterwards. Also I'm going to borrow a helmet from dkmura. (Thanks again dkmura!)

These are the directions I got from MapQwest: http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...=80817&rsres=1

I'm really excited about this guys!!! I can't wait!
Old 02-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Resolute

Originally Posted by Robert_K
Will thats sounds good to me. PPIR is right down from my house. Who else want to meets us there so we have a headcount and don't leave anyone behind.

BTW Will, don't think I'll be getting those break pads before Sunday. Money is tight & I don't get paid till the 1st. Guess I'll order some afterwards. Also I'm going to borrow a helmet from dkmura. (Thanks again dkmura!)

These are the directions I got from MapQwest: http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...=80817&rsres=1

I'm really excited about this guys!!! I can't wait!
That's cool. You'll still have a good time, upgrading the pads just keeps you out on the track longer. I would recommend pulling into the pits every fourth lap or so to let them cool and prevent fade. Who all can meet us Sun morning at the PPIR exit?
Will
Old 02-18-2006, 01:39 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

That's cool. You'll still have a good time, upgrading the pads just keeps you out on the track longer. I would recommend pulling into the pits every fourth lap or so to let them cool and prevent fade. Who all can meet us Sun morning at the PPIR exit?
Will
Thats cool! 4 Laps is great! I'm use to autocrossing where we only get one lap/run a time. I'm really interested in learning some new driving/racing skills.

BTW: I'm a newbie at racing with other cars on the track. Glad to see we'll be learning passing skills.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:15 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

The Mapquest directions look accurate. To be honest, I've been there so many times I navigate by visual markers only.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Default Co. Springs Convoy to La Junta

For those that are driving down Sunday there are two of us meeting up to convoy down together.
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....06#post2125706

Quick Reply: 2006 LaJunta track day