Notices
South West Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico

Ok Colorado, I have a lawn mower question.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 12:57 PM
DevildogCO1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok Colorado, I have a lawn mower question.....

Ok so I have this Walker lawn mower (high proformance, so it fits I'm asking this question on a Z forum!) and it has started this thing were it runs for about 15 seconds pumping out some thick gray smoke, then dies. The lawn mower people told me it was a dirty air filter, I didn't think that was right but I figured I would try that. No help still dies. Then I thought the choke was stuck. I checked that and it worked fine, still thick gray smoke and still dies. Next, I checked the oil and this is where it gets interesting...... When I pulled the dipstick fuel started flowing out. And I mean alot of fuel! Now my knowledge of engines is limited, but I know that can't be good. It went in for its spring tune up and I have only used it 6 times since then, so I am taking it back to them on Monday. But before I do I was wondering if anybody had any ideas whats going on??? I know its not our VQ, but hey an engine is an engine, right???
Old 07-30-2006, 01:41 PM
Darrel

dirty air filter would cause it to run rich. Have you checked the oil before or after every use? That would help track down when it started to run rich. You def want to change the oil to get rid of the gas, that will not be good for the bearing or cylinders.

Just think what you can do once youget it dialed in.

[/
Old 07-30-2006, 02:22 PM
DevildogCO1

Thanks for the info. That also looks like alot of fun, but at this point I would just be happy to be able to mow my lawn....
Old 07-30-2006, 03:13 PM
Darrel

I don't know if the carb has a float, but it may be stuck.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:51 AM
FCallender

It sounds like you may have a broken compression ring or a holed piston. That would explain the gas in the oil somewhat. What does the spark plug look like? It's probably black and sooty. When you turn it over by hand does the compression seem normal? My 20 year old Craftsman Eager 1had similar problems.
Started fine then would belch black clouds of partially burned gas. I know it blows some exhaust into the crankcase. A $3.50 needle valve assembly fixed it.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:31 AM
Mudd

That must be where you go if you want to move up the ranks in NASCAR.

Mudd
Old 08-05-2006, 02:20 PM
DevildogCO1

Well as it turns out the carb went **** up. The good news is that the dealership that does the spring turn up on the thing every year is going to eat most of the cost because they should have noticed the issue when it was in last. Thanks for your info guys.