Notices
South West Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico

Denver Parking Violations Bureau

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 04:53 PM
jgray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Denver Parking Violations Bureau

Occasionally I drive up to Denver for meetings and need to park downtown (near the Ice House). Well, I wouldn't dare put the license plate on the front of my Z, so I've given the good city of Denver a few bucks in parking violations over the last few years (I get away with it here in Colorado Springs without issue).

So a few weeks ago I had another meeting and I though I would try just putting the plate in my front window. Well, that didn't work - another $30 out the window. The interesting thing is this notice I just received which states:

"A field investigator has reviewed the signage at the location where your citations were issued. The results of the investigation indicate that your claim is valid. Therefore, no payment is due. If payment has been made, a refund will be processed. Indicate name, address..."

What's strange is that signage has nothing to do with the citation and I never submitted a claim against the citation. However, I did pay the fee that same day. The notice sounds like a boilerplate refund notice - still strange though and I'll take my money back, thank you..

Are any of you Denver people (sans front plate) getting this horrific treatment?

I suppose I should play by the rules. I'd take suggestions on how to mount the front plate in a temporary fashion. What do you guys do? I've seen some sort of contraption that screws into the tow hook, but I can't remember what that was called.

Joel
Old 08-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Amarao

As soon as I get my nismo bumper I'll be going plate less. My maxima has no front plate and I've never had an issue, but perhaps it's because I don't frequent The People's Republic of Denver.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:18 PM
DevildogCO1

I have gotten a few no front plate tickets. In my mind I would rather pay the fine then jack up my front bumper (aside from the rock chips and impact marks from the tire chunks) with a front plate.......
Old 08-08-2006, 06:13 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,299 Likes on 900 Posts

Joel- I've also had to pay the "no front plate" tickets over the years. It sounds as though you might have caught a break on the last one, but who knows why? It could be someone else appealed (for whatever reason) and they had to throw out all the tickets from that meter person or locale. In any case, those of us who really prefer having our Z's look cleaner have to be prepared for this type of treatment. Even outside Denver, I've been stopped by the highway patrol for no front plate.

You're thinking of the 'Zee plate', which attaches to the tow hook area. Check the classifieds or Courtesy Parts ad and I'm sure you'll find it. You can also simply tie wire the OEM plastic license plate holder to the front grill inself and then use the screws to attach the plate. It's not the best solution, but it still beats putting holes in your car!
Old 08-09-2006, 12:55 PM
wahooj

There's another plate holder that screws in where the tow hook goes. I have one but forget what its called or where I ordered it from 2+ years ago.

The city of Denver thinks its their job to keep your vehicle compliant with all the state motor vehicle laws and codes, even while parked. So they tack on charges for no front plate, expired emissions, etc.

I have never paid a Denver parking ticket and never will. And if they ever boot one of my cars I will find a way to remove it.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:36 PM
hr2burn

Originally Posted by jgray
Occasionally I drive up to Denver for meetings and need to park downtown (near the Ice House). Well, I wouldn't dare put the license plate on the front of my Z, so I've given the good city of Denver a few bucks in parking violations over the last few years (I get away with it here in Colorado Springs without issue).

So a few weeks ago I had another meeting and I though I would try just putting the plate in my front window. Well, that didn't work - another $30 out the window. The interesting thing is this notice I just received which states:

"A field investigator has reviewed the signage at the location where your citations were issued. The results of the investigation indicate that your claim is valid. Therefore, no payment is due. If payment has been made, a refund will be processed. Indicate name, address..."

What's strange is that signage has nothing to do with the citation and I never submitted a claim against the citation. However, I did pay the fee that same day. The notice sounds like a boilerplate refund notice - still strange though and I'll take my money back, thank you..

Are any of you Denver people (sans front plate) getting this horrific treatment?

I suppose I should play by the rules. I'd take suggestions on how to mount the front plate in a temporary fashion. What do you guys do? I've seen some sort of contraption that screws into the tow hook, but I can't remember what that was called.

Joel
If they (Denver) found themselves wrong and you did nothing different, doesn't this give you right to ask for a refund from all your past bogus plate tickets? Hmmmmmm
Old 08-09-2006, 07:51 PM
funkymonkey1111

i'd like to come to the boot removal tech day.

i was pulled over by a state trooper outside Kremmling for a front tag violation. I hadn't had the car very long, and had the front plate and the Z-bracket in the car with me. the guy let me go with a warning.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:56 PM
geezin56

Been in Denver for about 2 years now. I've had the Z without a front plate for about the same amount of time (even worked downtown for a year) and have never had a problem...........which of course means I'll receive a citation tomorrow.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Mudd

My solution..........I won't park at a city meter. There has been more fraudulent things that have happened to me and others I have met who have parked at a meter that I won't do it anymore.

The worst is when you park at a meter, pay it, come back 30 mins. later to find time still in the meter and you have a ticket for an expired meter violation. It's happened to me twice. I tried to fight it, even writing a letter to the mayor who's personal assistant called me, but no luck, I was still forced to pay it. I hate Denver Parking department, it's a racket.

Mudd
Old 08-10-2006, 07:28 AM
jgray

Originally Posted by hr2burn
If they (Denver) found themselves wrong and you did nothing different, doesn't this give you right to ask for a refund from all your past bogus plate tickets? Hmmmmmm
Actually, I did do something different. I put the plate in my window. It's questionable wheter or not that is still legal, but I thought I would give it a try.

Before I bought my Z I tried to factor all the items that would contribute to the cost of ownership. I never considered this little item. It's just silly.

Wahooj - that screw-in style plate holder was the one I was thinking of. Does it work well?

Joel
Old 08-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny that Denver would have an issue with the plate. The only time a cop in the Springs has mentioned it is when I've been pulled over for speeding, but have never recieved a ticket for it, just warnings. I didn't think it would ever be that big a deal. Sucks that they are looking at meter parked cars for other violations that have nothing to do with parking.
Will
Old 08-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Amarao

I've gotten pulled over for no front plate before but it was just an excuse to check other things. Let me go with no problem, told me to go get a new bracket. HA! He asked me how long I've lived here without a plate and I told him 6 years, his jaw dropped a little. lol
Old 08-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Texas Plates here! But as soon as I move back to Tx I'll have to put the front plate on. TX DPS (State cops) are real a$$es about the front plate. I accually almost got a ticket the day I bought my old Evo for not having a front plate. I told the cop that I had paper plates and have 30 days to get plates. Think he was a rookie a$$hole though.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:44 PM
wahooj

Originally Posted by jgray
Wahooj - that screw-in style plate holder was the one I was thinking of. Does it work well?
Yeah it works fine. Looks like the screws got a little rusty, haven't tried to remove it since I put it on. Also it sticks out a little bit from the front bumper, and every once in a while it gets crooked. Also it took the place I bought it from a while to ship it to me. Still can't remember what its called... sorry.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:26 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

I thinks its the Stillen bracket. Do a search here on the forum for it and I'm sure you'll find it.

Edit: Its called the Zee Bracket: http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan..._Code=ZEE-BRCT

2nd Edit: Here is the Stillen Bracket: http://www.stillen.com/product_detail.aspx?sku=105350

Last edited by Robert_K; 08-10-2006 at 06:43 PM.