South West Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico

Radar/Ladar Test results

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 05:12 AM
Mudd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hr2burn
How's your foot Mudd?

It hurts like hell, especially since I now have shoes on. I think I must have twisted my ankle, but for some reason I was feeling no pain Sat. night. I woke up Sunday and this morning with a decent level of pain. They will heal and be ok now.

Sidenote...........Do not age beer in a swing top bottle, then bring said bottle up to Kevin's and then attempt to open it in his beautiful kitchen with exotic hardwood floors (which must have been coated with Zaino to make then shine) and have it explode like a Peter North money shot or else you will get hurt in your panic to make it to the sink in order to not make a mess of said kitchen. I did however make a big mess of the kitchen, thanks ladies for helping clean it up and clean up my injuries/beer soaked clothing.

Mudd
Old 04-30-2007, 05:18 AM
Mudd

Please see the answers to your questions below. BTW........this day was a blast, the only thing I would change is we should have brought sunscreen.

Mudd
Originally Posted by bamyi

We had 2 Valentine. I forgot to ask what year. Included was one Bell 9500. Mine is 8 years old.

Since I was not in the vehicle, some questions I have are:

Did the arrows on the valentine worked?Yes, but my answer is similar to Gary's
Did the numbers system of the Valentine worked?Yes worked very well. Also, laser is just like Gary's
What unit picked up the ladar/radar first....Bell or Valentine?Don't know, only had one detector.
If there was a time difference, how long?Again, don't know.
How strong were these signals at certain distances?I thought the siganl strength was great especially the warning I got when you were doing only radar.
How accurate were the mph readings on the radar/ladar compared to speedometer? We need the help of your Kobe Bryant friend for our next test.

I don't think we know all the answers to all these questions since I didn't orgainzed this event really well. This sounds like we need to conduct more tests...in a more controlled environment.

If I had to pick a winner, I would pick the Valentines since they worked well for the two hrs. The Bell malfunction and could no longer detect Ladar. (Sorry Henry....your summons is in the mail.)

I'm happy everyone showed up and I'm sorry we couldn't do more tests.

Lets do another one in the future and hopefully, Kevin can bring his jammer.

PS. This test never took place anywhere in the state of Colorado. I received these information 5th hand and does not know of the ppl invovled in the test.

PPS. Gary, I know you're a racer and all, but the speed limit was 30mph...not 47!! (Your summons is also in the mail)
Old 04-30-2007, 09:19 AM
bamyi

Thanks guys for the answers. I start working nights now so unless ppl want night tests, we'll have to wait till another six months for day tests.

What happend to your feet mudd? Trying to be like David?
Old 04-30-2007, 05:41 PM
Mudd

Originally Posted by bamyi

What happend to your feet mudd? Trying to be like David?
I opened a big beer at Kevin's, it exploded, I ran for the sink, crashed and burned, tearing up my toenail and creating some road rash on my skin. It's a long story, I am guessing I won't live it down for sometime.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:51 PM
vwbiznitch

Old faithful with the brewski at the Gilmans. Luckily the drunks live it down pretty quickly because we forget sooo very easily!
Old 04-30-2007, 08:58 PM
ohw

Sounds like there is a good story there as well. May be you can tell us over a beer?
Old 04-30-2007, 09:00 PM
ohw

Hey Bamyi, what time is your nite shifts? What is chance of joining in for weekend drives while you're on nites?
Old 04-30-2007, 09:25 PM
bamyi

I work Sat nights. I have gotten off a 12hr shift and gone straight on a drive on Sunday...so I can do it again.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:28 AM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job Phu! (yes, I am back as of last night )

Very nice review. What I would also like to see though, is a lidar (laser) jammer test. There are videos posted on the radardetector.net forums that are simply amazing. They shot through the lidar gun's view finder so one can see when the lock was made and which error the gun returned instead of the car's speed. The best jammer was able to jam the signal all the way from a mile away to just 20 feet away!

I only wish the jammers weren't so expensive ($600+ for a single-head unit of the best type; $800 for a dual head).

Last edited by usmanasif; 05-02-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Kenk2
Professional

Colorado = Beautiful!

I am def. jealous!
Old 05-03-2007, 02:05 PM
usmanasif

Originally Posted by Kenk2
Colorado = Beautiful!

I am def. jealous!
Tru dat! You should move here; we need more Z enthusiasts in CO.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:30 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,305 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by usmanasif
Good job Phu! (yes, I am back as of last night )

Very nice review. What I would also like to see though, is a lidar (laser) jammer test. There are videos posted on the radardetector.net forums that are simply amazing. They shot through the lidar gun's view finder so one can see when the lock was made and which error the gun returned instead of the car's speed. The best jammer was able to jam the signal all the way from a mile away to just 20 feet away!

I only wish the jammers weren't so expensive ($600+ for a single-head unit of the best type; $800 for a dual head).
One item to keep in mind is that having a jammer does NOT provide overall immunity. In certain states (or Canada) they are illegal and the lidar will read out the jamming signal. But even in states in which jammers remain legal (like Colorado), if the officer can plainly see you are moving faster than the average speed, you can still get pulled over.

What can an officer write? A reckless driving charge, for one. Depending on how much faster than the flow of traffic you're traveling, there could be other violations as well.

For the cost of a jammer, wouldn't you REALLY rather spend the $$ on going to track days (or racing) and running triple digit speeds in a controlled environment with no threat to your license?
Old 05-03-2007, 03:11 PM
Kenk2
Professional

Good point..

If you did have a jammer, and it did in fact work while you were driving and the officer suspected you had something could he/ she inspect your car?

If he/she did in fact find it, could they write you a ticket or whatever for it?
Old 05-03-2007, 09:01 PM
usmanasif

Originally Posted by dkmura
One item to keep in mind is that having a jammer does NOT provide overall immunity. In certain states (or Canada) they are illegal and the lidar will read out the jamming signal. But even in states in which jammers remain legal (like Colorado), if the officer can plainly see you are moving faster than the average speed, you can still get pulled over.

What can an officer write? A reckless driving charge, for one. Depending on how much faster than the flow of traffic you're traveling, there could be other violations as well.

For the cost of a jammer, wouldn't you REALLY rather spend the $$ on going to track days (or racing) and running triple digit speeds in a controlled environment with no threat to your license?
Understood and agreed. But jammers aren't meant for a total, stubborn jam. They chirp when a signal is jammed and the "smart" driver quickly brakes to within reasonable speed (thus triple-digit speeds do not help much here) and turns the jammer off so the officer can get a reading and consider the jam a valid error from the gun. A visual speed ID is marginally accurate at best as most officers lock lidar from a fairly tight angle (no more than 10-30 degrees off 90) and the tighter the angle, the tougher it is to gauge speed of an object moving towards you.

I am not advocating the use of laser jammers to satisfy one's indulgence in triple-digit speeds on public roads, but they are no more evil that detectors and just as is the case with those, a jammer is less and less practical the faster you go.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:34 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,305 Likes on 905 Posts

Kenk2- Depending on the state or municipality, it may be illegal to have a jammer. In that case, a stop could be made and the jammer confiscated. But unless there is a specific law banning them, the officer would have to have other reasons to make the stop.

usmanasif- We're in agreement that jammers are no worse than radar detectors. It's justifying the cost that has me ruling them out.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:08 AM
bamyi

David you are right that even if the jammer is legal, an officer can still pulled you over based on his visual estimate. This will hold up in court because in order to certified in ladar/radar, you must be trained and pass a test in visual estimation.

The charge could be careless driving.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:19 PM
ohw

I went thru the videoes shot from the test, most of them has Bamyi in it. The remaining ones either showed the 9500i malfunction, or the V1 on City mode. None of the shots are really good. So I'm not gonna bother posting them. We'll do a better job next time out.

On the other hand, here is something may be more interesting. The graphs were generated during the Power Hill run. I won't post the graphic to show the speed here, if you want to see it, PM me. I also have the graphs for the entire trip, in much higher resolution.

For those of you who were there, the references are:
Left the parking lot, stopped at gas station to look for a missing Z06, merge onto freeway (I was right beside Gary), up the big hill, drive for a while, bye bye.
Attached Thumbnails Radar/Ladar Test results-power-hill-rpm.jpg   Radar/Ladar Test results-power-hill-throttle.jpg   Radar/Ladar Test results-power-hill-load.jpg  
Old 05-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Mudd

Where are those from Henry?
Old 05-07-2007, 06:27 PM
ohw

Carchip plugged in my OBD.