Notices
South West Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico

Random thoughts of the Colorado 350Z group

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alright, I'll take a turn down memory lane...

My first track day was in 2004 at La Junta. It was dirt cheap, and the track belonged to five of us for a whole day. My wife tagged along, and we met David, David (Bottom), Gary, and Don (PeterPutter) early in the morning. We had a great time down in La Junta and no speeding tickets were issued along the way. (unlike some other track days at La Junta... )

That track day began a trip which extended from the dusty abandoned air strip in La Junta to one day at PPIR, five track days at Second Creek, competing in the 2005 SCCA Time Trials, a trip out to Infineon for a free lesson from the guys at Jim Russell, two days at Sandia, and two trips to PMP.

Through all that seat time in my Z, the best thing to come from my experience is the people I've met. I wonder sometimes how Don is doing, whatever happened to Craig and Joe, if Mudd is still the only other Chargers fan I know of in CO, and if Kevin will ever actually alter the gravitational pull of the earth with his car. I've immensely enjoyed the track time shared with Joel, David's TT G35, and Gary. I've learned a lot from our resident track master, David M. I've missed the time I used to spend with the Z crowd as I embrace the role of father to my two awesome kids. I hope for the days to come when life slows down and I am once again back at the track and meets, enjoying the company of Z owners which has made my 350Z purchase so special. I can't wait for the days when I can bring my kids to the track and train them in the ways of "pit monkeys".

Good times in the past, good times ahead I'm sure. Happy holidays everyone,

Will
Old 12-07-2008, 05:54 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,299 Likes on 900 Posts

Always nice to hear from Resolute. Besides being our resident engineering source, Will has steadfastly supported all the track days in Colorado he could. Earlier this year, he helped me debut the Nissan Sport T2 350Z at Pueblo. His background in Formula SAE and race engineering was invaluable and I'm constantly amazed how rapidly his knowledge base has grown. It's been a pleasure working with him and I can only hope to to do again in the future!
Old 12-14-2008, 06:25 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Here's a good memory of GaryM05: he was riding along at PMP several years ago in the afternoon of one of our HPDEs. After several hot laps, I tried to go to throttle just a touch early exiting turn 3. You guessed it- despite fighting a few tank slappers, inertia won the fight! We spun to the outside, but had no damage (other than the dust we raised).

I hoped this didn't frighten Gary too badly, but when we got back to the pits he confessed he was GLAD it happened! Why? Well, now I know what it (a spin) feels like, he laughed! He explained that race driving was something he'd always had an interest in and to "go over the edge" (without damage) was something he'd wanted to experience.

Well, he's had plenty of time over the years to find out. Besides participating in multiple HPDEs, track days, time trials and now door-to-door racing. And guess what? Gary hardly ever spins!
Old 12-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
And guess what? Gary hardly ever spins!
There is, of course, a big difference between hardly ever and never....

25 Hours of Thunderhill with NASA was a great time, I was on pit crew for Team Wasabi, owner Ian Cole and his turbo GTi, from NASA Rocky Mountain. Dave and Kyle Balingit were also there as part of the team. Made me think of you guys while I was there.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:39 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
There is, of course, a big difference between hardly ever and never....

25 Hours of Thunderhill with NASA was a great time, I was on pit crew for Team Wasabi, owner Ian Cole and his turbo GTi, from NASA Rocky Mountain. Dave and Kyle Balingit were also there as part of the team. Made me think of you guys while I was there.
Not surprisingly, I expect that most of the excellent drivers that I've mentored with spin occasionally!

Of course- I heard about Team Wasabi and the 25 hours of Thunderhill. Thanks for thinking of us and hope you had a blast!
Old 01-10-2009, 08:14 AM
bamyi

I'm late to this thread but here's my memories:

-Going to my first HPDE track event in PMS hosted and thought by David with Gary and Joel assisting. I was scared and nervous. I was sure that every one had better skills then me and I would just hindered the hole event. But when I met David, Gary, Joel and some other good guys like Will and James (Myspivey) it clam me down. They were really kind, helpful and made sure to express that this not a macho contest.

I did some Auto-X event with the CA Porsche club but it was timed and it was a contest. I came in last every time. It got to the point where I wasn't enjoying it anymore.

My first run down was the braking procedure. Sure, it was basic but for the first time I was able to let it loose and not have to worry about people judging me. I was in love with my car and track events! I loved the event so much that I kept running on the track and didn't realized that everyone had already pulled in!

After that, I can't get enough track events.

Then there was the convey to New Mexico with David and David K. It was a fun and relaxing drive. David K. took us through a scenic route but it was raining. David K. was the lead car with slicks and he was pulling away from us as he took the right line and blast through corners with rolls of trees lining the street. I was amazed.

- David K. asking me to assist him at PMP during a NASA event. I loved it and I learned so much. It was also thrilling to be the spotter along the track as David flew by.

-Finally, Will spending ten minutes talking and drawing on a napkin, explaining how the control arm works. Enchiladas anyone?

I can't wait for spring and more track times.

I met some really good people here. Usman, Aamaro, David, Joel, Mudd, Dale, Gary, James, and Thomas are just a few. Can't wait to make more memories.

Last edited by bamyi; 01-10-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:24 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Bamyi- thanks for the memories. It can still remember the threshold braking exercises and the problems you had with a kaput side window motor. You just opened the door and kept getting feedback each run until we closed that exercise!

Your enthusiasm at each track day has grown and I remember the trip down to NM well. Our day at Sandia MSP was fun, but I also enjoyed driving down with you and David. What a great memory! Although driving through the northern mountains through that rainstorm (with worn R-compound tires) was a bit tricky. LOL

Resolute's napkin dissertation over that great Mexican dinner was another memory that I'll cherish. And as far as going from a novice to working on race cars, you are always welcome on my pit crew! Please get ahold of me SOON. I've got some race swag to share and plans for the '09 race season to discuss with you!
Old 01-11-2009, 10:13 PM
myspivey

Im ready for 09 race season as well! My new years resolution was to get out on the track as much as I could!
Old 01-12-2009, 08:07 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by myspivey
Im ready for 09 race season as well! My new years resolution was to get out on the track as much as I could!
That's an EXCELLENT resolution to make! Looking forward to seeing you out at the track and I'll try to start a new thread to go over the options. With High Plains Raceway (HPR) ready to go, I'm already looking forward to seeing a lot of my friends out at the track!
Old 01-12-2009, 06:23 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I haven't been a part of the local Z group as long as many of you, my experiences are limited. The day I will never forget was the group drive about 8 of us made to Breckenridge last year the back way; 285 to Hwy 9 (yes Amarao, the one that earned you a fast driving award!). When we turned onto 9, we saw a few bicyclists and didn't really think much of it. Then...they exploded in numbers. Turned out, there was a fund raiser ride scheduled that day. There must have been over a thousand+ cyclists in all and they were ALL over both lanes. We drove at approx. 10mph almost the entire way to Breck and were so pissed off by the time we got there, that we all dispersed pretty soon instead of staying for lunch. Mile for mile, it was the most excruciating time I have ever spent behind the wheel and the day will forever live in infamy.

That and of course, my first local meet in June '06. I just made a simple thread here and was amazed at how many people showed up! About 12 in all. It was at that bar/grill off I-25/Arapahoe; its owner used to be a member here I believe. My Z hadn't even been broken in yet or registered. Got to meet many of you for the first time there including you, David! Before that, Phu was the only one I knew. Phu buddy, I deeply appreciate your friendship and am very grateful for it. My wife and I went with you and your friends to that comedy show in Broomfield long before I ever even ordered a Z. We need to go to Taste of Saigon again soon, by the way. Last time I was there was with you and your friends like 2 years ago!

I have learned a lot about these cars from you guys and have had the most fun with all of you for the past almost 3 years. Whether cruising or hanging out and shooting the breeze, you all have made this ownership experience truly special.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:07 AM
bamyi

Thanks David and Usman. Another memory..and how can I forget this.

Helping David strip the two red Zs and being mentioned in Nissan Sports Mag. Twice!

My 15sec. of fame.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:12 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by bamyi
Thanks David and Usman. Another memory..and how can I forget this.

Helping David strip the two red Zs and being mentioned in Nissan Sports Mag. Twice!

My 15sec. of fame.
Aw, c'mon! That has to be at least 20 seconds of fame...