Random thoughts of the Colorado 350Z group

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 03:13 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,299 Likes on 900 Posts
Default Random thoughts of the Colorado 350Z group

With the release of the new 370Z, I recognize that I'll probably see less and less of the Colorado 350Z group. Some will move on to other cars, others will simply move on. But I wanted to take a moment and recall some of the best and funny moments that I've had over the past seven years:

-Going to pick up my pre-order '03 model a week before my birthday. Saved up all my Nissan contingency awards and every dollar I could to buy it. I particularly liked handing the Finance manager my check (for probably the first and last time in my life) and declining all the rest of the gap insurance and extended warranty crap!

-Better yet was driving the new Z for the first time. It was Christmas, Happy Birthday and the Fourth of July all rolled into one!

-Taking the Z to Pueblo Motorsports Park in December '02 and renting the track by myself that day! Those Bridgestones 040s were seriously feathered after that. Yes- I took another set when Nissan offered, but they were soon feathered on the outside from other track days with the car.

-Going to some Z gathering in Westminster and meeting other new Z owners there. Great time and I met Bob Bell, then publisher for Sport Z Magazine. Although my writing career had included stints with other performance and racing mags, it took off after that! Thanks for recognizing my potential, Bob!

-The look on Shogun's face when I told him I knew where he lived. I'd just driven the free days at SCR, including a stint in his Pikes Peak white enthusiast Z, and had a ball passing Porsches. Joe happened to live a few blocks from my house, so when he described the location, I knew exactly [ where it was. He looked at me like I was either prescient or a stalker!

-All of our HPDEs and track days have been the best of fun! Sure, it's serious fun and we have to stress safety, but I enjoyed helping, watching and seeing other Z pilots get better every session. Never had so much track time in my life. Tired looks gave way to BIG GRINS at the end of every single day we held one!

I could go on and on, but that's a sample of what I remember. Lots of great cars, but even better people! What are some of your favorite memories?

Last edited by dkmura; 11-27-2008 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:02 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Another character I miss is Mudd. His brash, non-PC comments always had me raising an eyebrow, but chuckling at the same time! He paid me the ultimate mod compliment at one of our track days, as he inspected the used BBS RG-R wheels on my Z: "I wet myself everytime I see those!" Anyone who's ever been on these boards will remember some of his off-the-cuff posts. LOL

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!
Old 11-27-2008, 11:40 AM
Abishop

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving too David.

I will have to disagree with you about the Colorado Z group tho.

Its true that some of the original members that pre ordered the Z in 02 will have departed, which most have already (or at least not active at all). I think the coming of the 370Z will make this Colorado Z club that much stronger. Plus the 350Z/G35 will now become more affordable to many more people, which will just strengthen the Z club. Lets look into the future on a positive note and I'm sure the Colorado Z club/MHZ will be awesome, just needs some work.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:10 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Hey Andrew! I hope you're right and the Z community continues to thrive. Also. you live up near Mudd. Have you seen or heard much from him after he sold the Z?
Old 11-28-2008, 12:38 AM
Abishop

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ yes i have. Him and his wife are doing well. He sold the Z to buy the new GT-R from Jason at Boulder Nissan, but decided that it would be a better investment to buy his wife a nice car so now that have a very nice Infinity SUV. I don't really talk to him that much, but i think we need to get him out of retirement.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:33 PM
jgray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the best times I recall is sitting in my Z on the the North end of Colorado Springs, waiting to join a convoy of 350Z cars on their way to Pueblo Motorsport Park. I jumped in my car as soon as I saw the first Z ; mashed the throttle and ended up one or two slots from the leader of the group (that would be you David/dkmura). I remember giggling to myself as the traffic died down; I counted *10* 350Z cars on their way to what would be my first HPDE event. Later that day my giggles turned to hysterical laughter as I learned what this new car of mine was capable of. I was like most, and considered myself to be a better-than-average driver, until that day. I soon turned to David Muramoto and Gary Miller on a regular basis for technical pointers, installation help and loads of driving technique advise. I sorta feel like I have a second career now, one that has been the incubator of many, many new friendships and countless opportunities.

Joel

edit: On a different note, I would have responded to this post sooner, but I recently removed the South West my350Z forums from my daily reading list. The Colorado my350Z community just isn't what it used to be.

Last edited by jgray; 11-28-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:11 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by jgray
One of the best times I recall is sitting in my Z on the the North end of Colorado Springs, waiting to join a convoy of 350Z cars on their way to Pueblo Motorsport Park. I jumped in my car as soon as I saw the first Z ; mashed the throttle and ended up one or two slots from the leader of the group (that would be you David/dkmura). I remember giggling to myself as the traffic died down; I counted *10* 350Z cars on their way to what would be my first HPDE event. Later that day my giggles turned to hysterical laughter as I learned what this new car of mine was capable of. I was like most, and considered myself to be a better-than-average driver, until that day. I soon turned to David Muramoto and Gary Miller on a regular basis for technical pointers, installation help and loads of driving technique advise. I sorta feel like I have a second career now, one that has been the incubator of many, many new friendships and countless opportunities.

Joel

edit: On a different note, I would have responded to this post sooner, but I recently removed the South West my350Z forums from my daily reading list. The Colorado my350Z community just isn't what it used to be.
Great post Joel. Congrats on your second career, being a NASA instructor and 2008 TTC Time Trial Champion! You're going to be surprised where this "incubator" is going to take you in the future, I'm sure!

My favorite memory of Jgray was at a HPDE after explaining a side-by-side track exercise at Pueblo. I looked up and saw Joel's eyebrow raise provocatively at the thought of putting his valuable Z in harm's way! That little bit of body language told me I'd better slow down, explain the exercise caerfully and allay some fears. No Z's were harmed in the performance of this exercise and everyone learned that you can share the track without having to swap paint! But Jgray's initial reaction STILL makes me laugh today!

Joel- I hope you're at least subscribed for this thread, as I hope we'll hear from other Colorado 350Z pilots from Christmas' past!

Last edited by dkmura; 11-28-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:42 PM
jgray

Yeah, I remember that moment too. I thought you were talking about doing that exercise at SPEED! Suddenly I felt as though the course was half as wide as it was in reality. After participating in that exercise I was pumped to do it again only faster! Isn't it funny how our attitudes change after just a tiny bit of experience?

Joel
Old 11-29-2008, 08:59 AM
funkymonkey1111

Just made the final payment on my 04 Roadster about 5 minutes ago.

what's most impressed me about the Z group that I've come to know is the help I've received--david taught me how to change the brakes on my 350, and showed me (or, more accurately, did it for me) how to change the rear differential and transmission fluids, also. David, Gary and Will have been very helpful in tips on brakes, oil, and other minor mods and upkeep to my car.

Over the years I only made it to one event at pueblo, and the way people bail out of the proposed classes these days, it very well be the only one i get to attend. Hopefully, we'll have more success at high plains.

I think about selling the roadster from time to time, but i really just love the car and can't bring myself to do it. for the most part, it's been pretty dang reliable (except the nav, and i'm on my 3rd CD player, which also doesn't work).
Old 11-29-2008, 02:55 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by funkymonkey1111
Just made the final payment on my 04 Roadster about 5 minutes ago.

what's most impressed me about the Z group that I've come to know is the help I've received--david taught me how to change the brakes on my 350, and showed me (or, more accurately, did it for me) how to change the rear differential and transmission fluids, also. David, Gary and Will have been very helpful in tips on brakes, oil, and other minor mods and upkeep to my car.

Over the years I only made it to one event at pueblo, and the way people bail out of the proposed classes these days, it very well be the only one i get to attend. Hopefully, we'll have more success at high plains.

I think about selling the roadster from time to time, but i really just love the car and can't bring myself to do it. for the most part, it's been pretty dang reliable (except the nav, and i'm on my 3rd CD player, which also doesn't work).
Dave- Thanks for the post and glad you stopped by! I wish I could give you some hope on High Plains Raceway (HPR), but early posts on the NASA site have rental fees running about $6K/day. That's going to make it pretty difficult to rent, even if we got every Colorado Z-car driver here to attend.

Still, I hope you keep the 350Z Roadster and keep on enjoying it! Like you, the Z has been extremely reliable and remains a pleasure to drive, but sorry to hear about the Nav and radio units...
Old 11-29-2008, 03:11 PM
funkymonkey1111

Dave,

you're right, if we can't get 10 guys to fork over a total of $1500 to have exclusive use of pueblo, i guess high plains will only be a fantasy.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:20 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Make fantasy a reality by going to the Z Car Club of Colorado's track day at High Plains. The ZCCC is scheduled to go in May '09 and will most likely need as many entries as possible to make it happen! They also allow Z Roadsters, as I recall Craig's Daytona Blue ZR at several of their meets. You can even go as a non-member (and pay a little more), or join up for $35 and get their discount. No word yet on costs, but they've gotta try to keep it low enough to attract entries.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:06 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

David, you know you are the person who got me into HPDE and NASA. I don't know whether to blame you or thank you, but I know I appreciate your friendship, and all that I have learned from you, as well as others (Joel, Gary, Will, Rob, etc...)

Dave
Old 12-01-2008, 12:10 PM
funkymonkey1111

Originally Posted by dkmura
Make fantasy a reality by going to the Z Car Club of Colorado's track day at High Plains. The ZCCC is scheduled to go in May '09 and will most likely need as many entries as possible to make it happen! They also allow Z Roadsters, as I recall Craig's Daytona Blue ZR at several of their meets. You can even go as a non-member (and pay a little more), or join up for $35 and get their discount. No word yet on costs, but they've gotta try to keep it low enough to attract entries.
I'll do it. Now, who wants to help me work on my truck's drum brakes?
Old 12-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Darrel

David, you know as well as I do that Mudd has the same reaction to a full keg of beer. :-D

The z club does have one saturday during memorial day weekend and also one day sept 12th. The one on sept 12th will coincide with a regional z meet. All of the clubs track events are open to all makes and models.

Joel, don't forget my white 240z during that first HPDE in Pueblo. ;-)
Old 12-02-2008, 05:17 AM
jgray

Originally Posted by Darrel
Joel, don't forget my white 240z during that first HPDE in Pueblo. ;-)
Are you sure you were at that HPDE event? It was all the way back in the Fall of '04 and I'm not sure I recall seeing you at that one. I'd swear that it was all 350Zs at my first HPDE, but your 240Z seems to get all the attention when you're around!
Old 12-02-2008, 11:19 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I certainly remember Darrel showing off his non-ABS driving skills in the braking and accident avoidence exercises! As I recall, he got very good at slowing the Z down enough to avoid lockup after a few tries.

Dave90TT- glad to see you continue to check in every now and then! Now you can't blame me for any "addictions". You had a healthy interest in motorsports before and we only fed it- OK, maybe we fed it a LOT! LOL But you've got the skills, personality and judgement to do well, now and into the future. We may lose you to the world of ultra-marathoning, but your soul will always have the need for speed!
Old 12-03-2008, 05:22 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Today I was thinking about Bottom, a 350Z driver we haven't seen for awhile. First, anyone who has an avatar with 'monkey dishwash' on it knows he has a sense of humor! I met David at one of our meets and recall he got a screaming deal on one of the first Stillen true dual exhaust systems that was out. We all oo'd and ah'd as 350Z aftermarket parts were just exploding onto the market.

At one of our HPDE's I had the chance to follow Bottom down the straight at WOT. While his VQ35DE pulled strongly, it was the WAIL off the Stillen exhaust that really impressed me. After that session, we laughed about it and I told him to look me up if he ever decided to sell it. A few years after that, he did exactly that! Giving me the 'good guy' price was a bonus, but the real treat was spending a morning with him as we installed it in my garage.

Every time I open up my Z and listen to that beautiful exhaust wail, I think of friends like David who gave as well as received. Sure, I could have purchased that exhaust myself, but Bottom's sale made it particularly special. Thanks once again and I hope his new marriage is giving him as much pleasure as his Z once did!
Old 12-05-2008, 05:33 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Memories... I relocated to Colorado from Texas with an Evo 8, left with a TT Z33. From cruise & meets, to dyno days and HPDE events. I recall La Junta having the extra HP and yet still seeing that red bumper turn into only David's eyes in my rearview mirror. I than releized HP isn't speed. I really enjoyed your HPDE days David. Hopefully new Z34 owners will bring a couple new SCCA & NASA pilots like the Z33 has.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:23 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Robert_K
Memories... I relocated to Colorado from Texas with an Evo 8, left with a TT Z33. From cruise & meets, to dyno days and HPDE events. I recall La Junta having the extra HP and yet still seeing that red bumper turn into only David's eyes in my rearview mirror. I than releized HP isn't speed. I really enjoyed your HPDE days David. Hopefully new Z34 owners will bring a couple new SCCA & NASA pilots like the Z33 has.
LOL Robert_K- nice post! Glad you enjoyed the HPDEs. We all had a lot of fun at LaJunta. Remember that our track time there was $35/car for the entire day! That was less than four years ago, but those days are over.

If it's any consolation, it was loads of fun closing up and getting into your draft for the straight. Thanks for not missing a gear!

Quick Reply: Random thoughts of the Colorado 350Z group