Notices
South West Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico

10 years ago today - I can't believe it

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:43 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 10 years ago today - I can't believe it

10 years ago today, I picked up my pre-order 350Z from the dealer. I had VIN 689, and the first Z delivered in Colorado. I still have the car, and can still remember like it was yesterday, getting the call from my dealer (along with an email with pics of it being unloaded), picking it up, and driving it home for the first time.

Those first few months (and even years) of ownership were amazing, time spent getting to know the car, the great community here at my350z.com, and the great community of other Colorado 350Z owners. Lots of get-togethers, mountain drives, and track days. The track days led to competition time trial events (along with a few event wins and a regional championship) and then to a 944 Spec race car build.

Several years ago I toyed with the idea of selling the car and moving on to something newer and (slightly) faster, but quickly realized that no other car would ever feel quite the same to me – it wouldn’t have the soul, it wouldn’t have the community, it wouldn’t have timeless shape or the historic background. This might be the last new car that I ever buy, and now that I have it and the memories (not to mention the fact that it’s paid for), I can’t see myself ever getting rid of this car.

Every time I open the driver’s door, climb in, and start the ignition, I get a rush of 10 year’s worth of great memories, friendships, and experiences, and I know that no other car could possibly create that kind of emotional response.

I can’t believe it’s been 10 years already since the day I took delivery, and I’ll be the first to say that I haven’t been nearly as active in the Z community the last 5 years as I was the first 5, but I’m looking forward to many more years of Z ownership and membership.

For some more nostalgia, here’s a link to my original delivery thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/4409-delivered-in-denver.html

And my 5-year anniversary thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/south-west/...had-the-z.html

I've loved the car, but what I've loved even more has been the relationships with all the great people I've met along the way, and the memories I have as a result. Most of the original group has moved on, but on the off chance that any still come over here every once in awhile to check in, here's a toast to some great times!

Last edited by GaryM05; 08-27-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Duckeee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't exactly relate as I am fairly new to the car, but I'm sure an ownership such as long as yours will create a special bond like you have. Congrats on the anniversary and for many more to come.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:59 PM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations. I'm very glad you decided to keep the Z and stick around. It's been 8 years since I bought my first Z but unlike you, sold it after 3 years. Needless to say, I missed my '04 Z so I decided to pick up an '08. I'll never sell that car.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:14 AM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Congrats on this milestone of ownership!
Not many members here can say they are the 1 owner who pre-ordered the car!

I didn't pre-order mine but she literally just came off the truck when I found her on the lot. She had blue painters tape everywhere bumper, hood, roof... seats were bagged and wheels were covered etc. Drove her off the lot with 6 miles on her, the 6 miles were from my test drive and final inspection from technician before releasing.

It's only been 5 years but I plan on keeping this car until it's time to move on.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Ztouring04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats
Old 08-28-2012, 01:04 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I understand your feelings. I bought my Z on July 1, 2003 so I have had it for over 9 years. I plan on keeping it for another decade at least.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:20 PM
R3belzBRN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats =)
Old 08-30-2012, 11:43 PM
Darrel

Will you be able to make it to the Z club track day on sept. 8th?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:17 AM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the replies - makes me really glad to have kept the car!

That's a good point about there not being many pre-order single owner cars out there anymore...I hadn't thought of that, but it does make me appreciate my Z even more. And knowing that others have left the Z family but came back, and are looking forward to long periods of ownership, reminds me of the significance of this car.

Darrel - no, I probably won't be at the Z club track day. My folks are in town and we've got plans next weekend. Would have loved to have come out just to hang out and catch up, though.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:48 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

congrats on maintaining and enjoying your Z for this long. hopefully many more years to come.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:26 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,304 Likes on 904 Posts

Whew- just caught this thread tonight and while it's several months old, I fully appreciate GaryM05's thoughts. As another preorder customer, those remain wonderful memories- waiting, watching and finally taking delivery. I second his thoughts about keeping my Redline track coupe (it just turned over 89K) and continuing to drive it regularly.

Remember, this is Colorado and despite having a FULL four seasons, I still drive the Z if the snow isn't flying. It's part of my Z legacy now and I'll continue to drive it now and well into the future. And as Gary says, I also value all the friends I've made through the Z33 and in particular, the true car enthusiasts like Gary himself.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:38 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Awesome you guys keeping and enjoying it not not jumping ship with age, as many many have done....

Hopefully I can keep my Z and enjoy it until my son can then I'll be looking for another to give him lol...

Pics of this preorder 03s
Old 11-12-2012, 07:53 PM
kramykram

This story brought tears to my eyes. Well not really but I know the feeling. I cried when my 300zxtt went underwater from Katrina but am much more happy with my 3rd 350z and almost paid off as well. I will not sell mine anytime soon, even if a little kramykram pops out some where. The z will not go. I love adoption services.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice to hear from you Gary. I think you and David are the only OG guys I know who still have their 350Z. I sold mine last summer after 9 years, and I regret it. I still haven't replaced it. The thing I miss the most are the Nissan track days with great owners like you, David, Joel, Don, Dave, and others. I still remember my very first track day down at La Junta when there was only five of us and we had the whole track to ourselves. Seems like so long ago now.

Will
Old 11-12-2012, 09:07 PM
jblz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome and congrats.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:02 AM
Z PHAT Z

Not from Colorado but I still have my Z. I pre-order my Z and waited 9 months for it. I still remembered when i gor the call from the dealer telling me the Z us on the way. I went to the dealer and waited for it. When it arrived and off the trailer, i got to peal the plastic film of off it it was the most exciting moment of my life LOL. After a blown engine from Turbonetic kit, i built my engine and got the Greddy TT. Then last year got into an accident. The whole passenger was swiped. Geico decided to total it. I was WTH??? Feeling so down for a whole week after the accident. But Geico gave me $17k for my car, then I bought it back for $1500.00 LOL. Got it fixed up with new body kit. Gathering parts and paint work came out to be a little over $3k and my Z is as good as new! So happy now
Old 11-13-2012, 09:22 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by KingBaby
Awesome you guys keeping and enjoying it not not jumping ship with age, as many many have done....

Hopefully I can keep my Z and enjoy it until my son can then I'll be looking for another to give him lol...

Pics of this preorder 03s

Preorder '03 Redline track model Z (modded and updated)

LaJunta track day (GaryM05's Silverstone Z is pictured next to my Redline Z)
Old 01-17-2013, 05:27 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Default 2013 story with my '03 Z

Tonight I was driving my Redline track model Z home from the office. Zooming over dusty back roads with HIDs showing flashes of just-thawed turns from Denver to Aurora. The Z's still-mounted summer rubber doesn't remain pliant as the temps drop and there's some wheelspin over the icy patches forming from puddles during the day. That's Colorado in the winter, all right.

But even in less-than-optimal conditions, the Z is such a pleasure to drive. The steering is razor sharp and gives so much tactile feedback. Sure, the lowered springs crash over some of the rougher stretches of road, but the 8241 SA Konis manage the ride decently enough. Feeding in some throttle (my NA VQ35DE is original with 88K on it) gives a bit of a thrill off each turn; without the threat of throwing it off the roadway.

The Brembo brakes remain a pleasure to modulate and have always felt so solid. The six-speed tranny also fits that description, and I still love heel-toeing with the heavy clutch. Driving home just a few short miles home becomes an enjoyable adventure and everything we look forward to in a sportscar. Not bad for a 11-year old car that's been rock solid almost every day I've owned it. Anybody else out there still rocking their Z car deep into the wintery season?
Old 01-17-2013, 05:42 PM
oscatipo

Originally Posted by dkmura
Anyone else out there still rocking their Z car deep into the wintery season?
Yes. Its supposed to dip down into th 50s tonight.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:14 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by oscatipo
Yes. Its supposed to dip down into the 50s tonight.
Yeah, yeah- but Ft. Lauderdale is hardly in the SW USA.

Quick Reply: 10 years ago today - I can't believe it