Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 04:18 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts
Default Solo Trials sevent at Second Creek, May 8-9

Just a quick note to let everyone know of an event at the soon-to-be-history Second Creek Raceway (88th and Buckley road, near DIA). The SCCA is running a Solo Trials event that matches cars with similar speeds in a single car, qualifying lap type of event. That means that you could be up against a poorly-driven Vette or other quick car, or conversely, a well prepared, R-compound tired econobox.

There will be a driving school on Saturday, May 8th for those who want/need some instruction before taking their precious Zs out. The timed competition will be on Sunday. Cost for the weekend will reasonable, about $140-150 (but you do need a SCCA membership to participate). I'm planning to instruct on Saturday, so post here if you're coming so I can try to get you in my group.

For more details, or to register, try www.RMSolo.org and try navigating to the Solo Trials page.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:56 PM
peterputter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the post David, but I'm working that weekend and I've also have company in for a week as well.

Sent off the pics to Art for the article. When does the SportZ mag hit the stands?

Cheers!!
Old 04-29-2004, 07:33 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Don- Sorry you can't make it that weekend. The summer issue is due to be in the mail by the end of May.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:40 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm all signed up and ready to go.

I must be a glutton for punishment to sign up for getting smoked by David yet again (and this time with the timing & scoring to prove it!) If I'm lucky, my qualifying speed will be so much slower that we won't even end up in the same run group.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:33 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Bit of a pause here for dramatic effect. Yesterday, I had the biggest shunt of my (short and lucky) life. Went skiing at Loveland during the snowstorm (fun, but the snow was soft on top and icy underneath) with a friend from work. On the way home, she unfortunately hit an icy patch on I-70 and the car went off driver's left into the median. It happened in an instant and I could see from the passenger's seat that we were not headed in at a good angle. The car augered into the soft shoulder and rolled 3-4X (I think). Inside, it was like being in an explosion! Glass, metal and plastic flying everywhere. Nothing to do but fight to hold onto conciousness. Ended up shiny-side up and glad that the seatbelts and roof held. For a Saturn, it did a good job to protect us.

Of course, we both got transported to the hospital and spent the evening in the ER getting assessed. It appears we're both going to recover, but since we both have concussions and bumps and bruises (and a few stitches), it may take awhile.

All this to say that my participation in next weekend's SCR Solo Trials event is somewhat up in the air. I hope I'll recover quickly, but head injuries are tricky items and I won't rush it. In any case, I hope Gary (and whichever other Z bros decides to enter) has a great time and I look forward to posts on the experience if I don't make it.

BTW- you can bet I wish I had a roll cage, 5-point harness, SA-2000 helmet and HANS device on during the accident! I can vividly recall the side window imploding onto my left ear AFTER a brief silence when the car was flying upside down. I still have rocks and sand in my hair from the stuff either getting in or my head contacting the good earth as we went over and over. GLAD to still be with you, boys and girls!
Old 05-03-2004, 10:54 AM
alexj74

David-
I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune but I am glad both of you came out ok. Hope you can make this weekend. If not, I am sure there will be plenty of posts about the event.

Gary-
I really want to participate in the event but don't have a time trial license nor an SCCA membership. I unfortunately can't make this saturday's school which would be very beneficial. I can run this Sunday and was wondering if there would be any way for me to compete without taking the class? Any info would be very much appreciated since I am running out of time before this Sunday. Anybody with advice please PM me.

Thanks
Old 05-03-2004, 01:01 PM
peterputter

David,

Glad you're still with us... what a ride that must've been... had a similiar one myself, but quite a few years earlier in life... when I was just full of **** and vinger. Anything we can do for ya?
Old 05-03-2004, 01:04 PM
peterputter

Alex,

I got some advice for ya.....

Get to the race track as fast as you can man... you're having withdrawls!!! Oh, and if you can... take me with you, we'll burn it up again bud!!!
Old 05-03-2004, 02:45 PM
alexj74

Don-

Thinking about going to Second Creek this wednesday. Test & Tune from 5:00 till its dark. Here the website for more info if you wanna go. http://www.2ndcreekraceway.com/info/test.html
Old 05-03-2004, 03:59 PM
GaryM05

Alex-

I'm glad you're interested in coming out. You asked for a PM but I'm going to reply here in case others are in a similar situation.

I'm no expert at how the SCCA runs these events (this will be my first competitive motorsports experience,) but the documentation for this event mentions that the SCCA requires that all drivers have a Time Trials license in order to compete, and the only way to get a Time Trials license is to attend the school on Saturday. And for what it's worth, the timeline for joining the SCCA shouldn't be a problem, as you can call their office (800-770-2055) to register and get your membership number right away.

You could email the person in charge of the event (gphillis@secretignition.com) and ask about missing the school, but I suspect that the organization will be pretty adamant about the licensing aspect of this, if for no other reason than that they'll require everyone to work corners, know what the flags mean, and be familiar with other procedural/administrative matters that will be covered on Saturday.

I hope you're able to work something out to be able to compete, because I'd like to have as many Z folks to hang out with this weekend as possible!

Gary

Last edited by GaryM05; 05-03-2004 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:47 PM
alexj74

Gary- Thanks for the info. I'll try to get an SCCA membership but before I do so, I was wondering if you had a schedule for Saturday/Sunday. It doesn't look like there is one posted on the website. My schedule is tied till 11:00 on Saturday and have the entire day free on Sunday. If the saturday session doesn't start till 11:3ish, then I will be able to attend both days.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2004, 05:24 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Hey guys, I've just been reading the thread and want to toss in my $0.02. Alex, follow Gary's advice and contact Gary Phillis. He's the Chief Steward for the event and a reasonable man. Explain the situation to him and mention that you have attended one of the HPDEs at LaJunta. Tell him you'll be a bit late to Saturday's class and why. I think he'll be able to get you in and grant you a provisional license.

Thanks for the good wishes guys- it's not easy being a racing driver during a recovery period. We get BORED easily!
Old 05-04-2004, 09:13 AM
alexj74

I'm in for the class and the Sunday event. Just spoke to Gary Phillis and I will be able to attend the class a little later as long as I can make it for the F&C class by 11:30. Just got my SCCA membership over the phone and registered online for the class and Sunday race. The only thing I need now is a transponder mount, better brake pads and fluid. Is there anything else I am missing? One more thing, my motorcycle helmet will work right?

Thanks,

Alex
Old 05-04-2004, 03:46 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Now that you're moving up in the motorsports world, it's time to get you a proper helmet. Motorcycle helmets were designed to take one good hit and don't offer any type of fire resistance. While we may not (hopefully) need the latter, car accidents usually have multiple impacts (believe me, my head knows this to be TRUE). You need a Snell-certified SA2000 helmet and can try local shops like Morton's Motorsports Supply or others. If you can't find anything in town, Give me a call (303-752-9777) or PM me and I'll let you try on one of mine for the weekend.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:40 PM
GaryM05

Alex- I'm glad you'll be able to make it! It should be a fun weekend.

To add to David's suggestion of local helmet sources, you could also try AAI Speed Equipment in Arvada, and Autosport Werks in Broomfield. Between these shops and Morton's, you should be able to find a good SA-rated helmet.

As for other stuff for the weekend, I think you'll be fine with a brake pad and fluid swap. To be honest, I'm not sure how much track time we'll be getting, but it never hurts to have upgraded pads and fluid (and if you end up not needing them for this event, I get the feeling you'll be able to use them eventually.)

I'm still trying to get a few last details worked out (transponder mount, start time for Saturday's session, etc.) but I'm really looking forward to the weekend. I'm a rookie when it comes to organized competitions like this, so I'm learning most of it as I go along.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:11 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Just an update on Saturday's schedule:

Message to Time Trials School entrants

We have an excellent group of Nationally licensed Cub Racers for
instructors for the Time Trials school. You will get a lot of track time so bring plenty of fuel! As we have said repeatedly, bring you racing brakes and FRESH brake fluid. Bring stuff to bleed brakes, as you might need to!

Schedule:

06:30 Gates Open
07:00-08:00 Registration and Tech
08:00-08:15 Warm-up parade laps Group 1 50 mph no passing
08:30-08:45 Warm-up parade laps Group 2 50 mph no passing
09:00-10:00 Classroom session - Driving
10:05-10:45 Lapping session Group 1 no passing
11:00-11:30 Lapping session Group 2 no passing
11:30-01:00 F&C class and lunch

01:00-01:30 Lapping session Group 1 w/passing Group 2 works
01:45-02:15 Lapping session Group 2 w/passing Group 1 works
02:30-03:00 Lapping session Group 1 w/passing Group 2 works
03:15-03:45 Lapping session Group 2 w/passing Group 1 works
04:00 Pass out certificates and licenses

The concession stand will be open and Mo will be serving breakfast
and lunch. Try a breakfast burrito and some of his Cajun jambalaya.

Please re-read the rules on www.rmsolo.org for the proper safety gear for you and your car. If you do not have the proper clothing you will not run.

Be prepared to also work part of the afternoon sessions. Bring water and sunscreen, etc. for work in the bunkers.

Be prepared to have some *serious* fun!

Regards,
Gary
RMDiv Solo I Steward
Old 05-05-2004, 11:27 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

David,

Glad to hear you & your friend are OK.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:42 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally posted by jmark
David,

Glad to hear you & your friend are OK.
Mark!

Thanks very much for the well wishes. Glad to see you run over and post on the SW forum. How are things in your neck of the woods? Hope to see you at the Runoffs this year. We are trying to qualify our GT5 200SX this year.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:11 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

David,

Looking forward to your Koni write up. I'll probably won't make the Runoffs this year. I am aiming to attend the GA Cup races at VIR & Barber Motorsports Park. There should be at least 3-4 350Z's running by then. I plan to have my Konis & 350Evo sway bars installed next week. Looking forward to seeing how they make the car feel. Went and watched my friend Neal Sapp run the WC TC event at Road Atlanta a couple of weeks ago. I am trying to talk him into running TC's other 350Z in T2. He is going to check into getting some Kumho help. I think TC has the PPW Z for sale currently.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:43 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Default Out of Action

Well, it's Friday and my recovery won't be complete enough for me to run this weekend. Something to keep in mind is that closed head injuries have a nasty habit of escalating if there is repeated trauma. I've been told that a second (even mild) concussion, on top of what I already have, could be catastrophic.

I'm mentioning this since, after 20 years (can it really be that long?) of road racing and time trial experience, I've never suffered any type of head injury. The SCCA, in particular, has a good history of mandating certain safety requirements (helmet standards, car construction, track and safety crew requirements, etc.) and making sure the participants are pretty well protected. But that's not to say you can guarantee absolute safety- that's why we all need to be on top of our games when we are "out there".

Good luck to Gary and Alex this weekend. It sounds like Solo Trials could be a gateway to the next dimension of motorsports for everyone. I've offered my services as instructor (but won't even be able to get out on the track at all, as I won't have medical clearence), however my endurance is not very good at this point. I hope to at least be able to start the morning with everybody, but will probably have to leave after my poor 'ol mind gets fatigued. My goal is to be back in fighting trim by the end of the month for the National race at Pikes Peak International.

Last edited by dkmura; 05-07-2004 at 07:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Solo Trials sevent at Second Creek, May 8-9